• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Ashhong

I would say about 2-300$ less than the MSRP you bought it for. At least, that's how much I would sell my 13" MBP from 2009 for, about 850-900 after buying it for 1100$ with student discount.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I AM HAVING A GIANT PROBLEM WITH SOFTWARE UPDATE
I am still on Leopard.

I reformatted recently, so I'm on 10.5.

When I open up software update to get to the latest version of Leopard it says the update is 768mb for the combined update. So I click download and install, but it won't download all the way! It only downloads about 95mb of the update and then prompts me to reboot and install, when I do that it hangs at the "configuring update" screen forever.

It actually took me the longest time to figure out it didn't/won't download all the way. I had to go library/updates to see that the combined update folder wasn't as big as it should be. I went as far as deleting the entire update folder and redownloading but the problem is the same, actually this time it stopped downloading the combined after 4kb, then prompted me to reboot and install.

What do I do?

th3dude

Jtwo said:
I am still on Leopard.

When I open up software update to get to the latest version of Leopard it says the update is 768mb for the combined update. So I click download and install, but it won't download all the way! It only downloads about 95mb of the update and then prompts me to reboot and install, when I do that it hangs at the "configuring update" screen forever.

It actually took me the longest time to figure out it didn't/won't download all the way. I had to go library/updates to see that the combined update folder wasn't as big as it should be. I went as far as deleting the entire update folder and redownloading but the problem is the same, actually this time it stopped downloading the combined after 4kb, then prompted me to reboot and install.

What do I do?

If you are still pretty fresh into your reformat/reinstall, you may just want to rewipe. Maybe something f'd up during installation? Can't think of anything else specific to have you try.

mrkgoo

Jtwo said:
I am still on Leopard.

What do I do?
I remember this being an issue for many updates sometime during 10.5. I think it means the file is poked on the server or something. I think you're supposed to delete the updates download and try getting the combo file from the apple downloads page.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah so after deleting, rebooting, and restarting the download process about 5 times it finally took. Its installing now.

Suuper frustrating error.

th3dude

Jtwo said:
Yeah so after deleting, rebooting, and restarting the download process about 5 times it finally took. Its installing now.

Suuper frustrating error.

Damn. Glad you got it working without a reformat, though.

Jtwo said:
I am still on Leopard.

What do I do?
download the update from apple's website. then install via the downloaded dmg.

ramyeon

So I've had my MacBook pro for a few months now and it's decided that it doesn't want to boot up anymore. I get the start up screen with an unusual loading bar which disappears after a few minutes and I just get the loading wheel going round and round for what seems like ever. I haven't left it for more than 15 or 20 minutes like this so I'm not sure if it ever stops. Has anyone else had this issue before? At the time it happened I was streaming something to my iPad 2 using Air Video if it means anything... The fan was really loud so I went over to restart it and then the problem started.

Also what are the folks at the apple store likely to do? It is still under warranty so would they be likely to fix it or issue a replacement?

By the way it doesn't boot up in safe mode, a hardware test freezes and it refuses to boot from the OSX installation CD...

ramyeon said:
So I've had my MacBook pro for a few months now and it's decided that it doesn't want to boot up anymore. I get the start up screen with an unusual loading bar which disappears after a few minutes and I just get the loading wheel going round and round for what seems like ever. I haven't left it for more than 15 or 20 minutes like this so I'm not sure if it ever stops. Has anyone else had this issue before? At the time it happened I was streaming something to my iPad 2 using Air Video if it means anything... The fan was really loud so I went over to restart it and then the problem started.

Also what are the folks at the apple store likely to do? It is still under warranty so would they be likely to fix it or issue a replacement?

By the way it doesn't boot up in safe mode, a hardware test freezes and it refuses to boot from the OSX installation CD...
try booting into Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

may be a driver or application trying to load and causing problems. let us know if it boots into safe mode. if not, booting in verbose mode will be the next step. it will display text telling you everything the OS is doing while it's trying to boot. this should show where it's getting hung up too.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:

If it's been a few months they will probably repair it

ramyeon

Dreams-Visions said:
try booting into Safe Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

may be a driver or application trying to load and causing problems. let us know if it boots into safe mode. if not, booting in verbose mode will be the next step. it will display text telling you everything the OS is doing while it's trying to boot. this should show where it's getting hung up too.
Tried booting into safe mode but holding the shift key doesn't seem to do anything - the same thing happens pretty much :/

ramyeon

Dreams-Visions said:
so safe mode didn't show the little progress bar instead of the spinning thing? hmph. try booting in verbose mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492

let us know what the last things it seems to do (or try to do) are. might give us some leads.
It appeared and disappeared but that happens with a regular boot now anyway :/

Tried verbose now and it says something about an invalid sibling link and then rebuilding catalog B-tree. After awhile it said that the volume Macintosh HD couldn't be repaired, so it seems like a HD issue?

how worth it is it to upgrade ram on an '08 aluminum macbook? I have the stock 2gb. Will it make the thing run super hot and drain batteries significantly with normal, non-gaming or cpu intensive use?

AlexMogil

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does anyone have a hard shell on their aluminum macbook pro? I was looking at the Mcase at amazon but was wondering if there is anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NJTZUS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used the Speck satin-feel case as well as the Mcase knock off clear case. The Speck broke pretty quickly but superglue took care of that. The knockoff Mcase had to be shaved to fit the new power adapter. Dunno if the new cases are precut.

I like them.

AlexMogil said:
I've used the Speck satin-feel case as well as the Mcase knock off clear case. The Speck broke pretty quickly but superglue took care of that. The knockoff Mcase had to be shaved to fit the new power adapter. Dunno if the new cases are precut.

I like them.

I have to check when I get home but it looks to have a groove from about the middle to the end for all inputs so there is no solid piece there so I wouldn't think I would have to shave it. You liked both the Mcase and the Speck?

ramyeon said:
It appeared and disappeared but that happens with a regular boot now anyway :/

Tried verbose now and it says something about an invalid sibling link and then rebuilding catalog B-tree. After awhile it said that the volume Macintosh HD couldn't be repaired, so it seems like a HD issue?
very well could be, yes.

1.) Boot OSX from your installation DVD.

2.) Once in the installer, Open up Disk Utility from the menu at the top of the screen.

3.) Run Repair Disk on your HDD and see what it says. Hopefully it will repair any issues.

4.) Run "Verify Disk Permissions" as well.

5.) Either way reboot, cross your fingers and see it loads up.

ReBurn

Gold Member
killertofu said:
Okay, the screws on the bottom of my Macbook Pro keep falling out. What the fuck
I had that issue as well. I talked the Genius at the Apple store and he said the most common cause is heat. My MacBook Pro will run hot from time to time because I usually have a couple of VM's running. Sometimes Firefox 4 is enough to make it run hot.

Anyway, the Apple store dude said that if bonding agent was used on the screws that steady heat in the aluminum shell makes it brittle and the screws will back themselves out with vibration. He removed mine, applied some colored gunk to them, and stuck them back in. No problems for me since.

ramyeon

Dreams-Visions said:
very well could be, yes.

1.) Boot OSX from your installation DVD.

2.) Once in the installer, Open up Disk Utility from the menu at the top of the screen.

3.) Run Repair Disk on your HDD and see what it says. Hopefully it will repair any issues.

4.) Run "Verify Disk Permissions" as well.

5.) Either way reboot, cross your fingers and see it loads up.
I tried booting from the install disk by holding C down after the chime sound but nothing different happens - I just get the same Apple logo and spinning wheel.

guest1321

Hold down option until you see the various disks pop up. The CD drive won't be there immediately, but you'll start to here the drive *whirrring* and then it should pop up shortly after.

EDIT: You need to hold down option or c before the chime sounds. The instant you turn that bad boy on, drop a finger on that key and hold it down like there is no tomorrow. (Disclaimer: pressing two hard may eff up your key and I am not liable in any way if you are retarded enough to press the key to hard)

Ashhong

Smision said:
how worth it is it to upgrade ram on an '08 aluminum macbook? I have the stock 2gb. Will it make the thing run super hot and drain batteries significantly with normal, non-gaming or cpu intensive use?

Very worth it. Will not affect heat/performance, battery etc. Do it.

ReBurn said:
I had that issue as well. I talked the Genius at the Apple store and he said the most common cause is heat. My MacBook Pro will run hot from time to time because I usually have a couple of VM's running. Sometimes Firefox 4 is enough to make it run hot.

Anyway, the Apple store dude said that if bonding agent was used on the screws that steady heat in the aluminum shell makes it brittle and the screws will back themselves out with vibration. He removed mine, applied some colored gunk to them, and stuck them back in. No problems for me since.
Hm, could the heat have expanded my battery or something? Because a little while ago, there was a bump on the bottom of my Mac

dream

I've been using OS X on notebooks forever and I've never had a reason to ask this before until I booted up my MBP in a quiet library today and scared the shit out of everyone.

If I'm the kind of idiot who forgets to mute my notebook before shutting it down, is there a key I can hold down to make OS X not play the bootup sound?

ramyeon

Dreams-Visions said:
yea, it's the option key on my Mac.

the LEFT option key.

I press mine as soon as i hear the chime and hold it until I see options.
Thanks that got me to the right screen but it only shows my HD despite the disc being in my drive.

KtSlime

killertofu said:
Hm, could the heat have expanded my battery or something? Because a little while ago, there was a bump on the bottom of my Mac

Yeah, it is probable that is what happened. I'd take it in, they will probably replace it. They did mine, and my macbook was well out of apple care warranty. It may simply be aesthetic, not sure, but it doesn't hurt to be vigilant.

KtSlime

ramyeon said:
Thanks that got me to the right screen but it only shows my HD despite the disc being in my drive.

Can you boot from another device, it seems like your SuperDrive may be broken. Do you have a USB flash stick, or an external hd, or another Mac to use in target disk mode?

NekoFever

dream said:
I've been using OS X on notebooks forever and I've never had a reason to ask this before until I booted up my MBP in a quiet library today and scared the shit out of everyone.

If I'm the kind of idiot who forgets to mute my notebook before shutting it down, is there a key I can hold down to make OS X not play the bootup sound?
Plugging in headphones before you turn it on also works.

KtSlime

NekoFever said:
Plugging in headphones before you turn it on also works.

It sucks to have the sound do that, however I find it not as bad as that damn Windows login sound that is like 5 seconds longer than it should be. Hated hearing that sounds like 20 times in succession when people would take out their laptops at the beginning of class.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Dude, I could kiss you right now. I've been waiting for like 8 years for them to port GOM-player. I was introduced to it by a girl I was dating back at university, but I've never had a Windows machine.

If anyone enjoys Asian TV (spec Korean) THIS is the app to get.

Thanks a million!
how does it work?

KtSlime

Dreams-Visions said:
how does it work?

My korean is really bad, so right now I am hassling with getting it to stream a channel, it doesn't like my build of Safari (Lion), but it runs regular files just fine. I think it may even run avi's slightly better than MplayerX.

th3dude

Charred Greyface said:
:)

Edit:

Are there any thunderbolt accessories yet? Or are there any thunderbolt usb3 adapters?

I don't believe so. Some were confirmed at recent expos and whatnot, but none released yet.

AlexMogil

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I have to check when I get home but it looks to have a groove from about the middle to the end for all inputs so there is no solid piece there so I wouldn't think I would have to shave it. You liked both the Mcase and the Speck?

I like the Speck the best because of the satin-ish finish, even though it was the one that broke.

To be fair I think my wife stepped on it.

KtSlime

hirokazu said:
What's a GOMPlayer and does it do anything other than let you watch Korean TV?

It plays regular media files like avis and mp4s, as well as watch what others are streaming from their personal gom servers, and you can watch Starcraft competitions, etc.

Jasoco

Banned
So anyway, on the topic of media centers, Plex just announced support for Roku's little set top boxes, and it looks like it'll have a really nice interface on the TV side. So if you have a Plex Media Center (PMS) based on Plex/Nine, this might be your best option for getting that media to another TV without having to buy a bunch of Mac mini's or hack an AppleTV.

http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/05/03/plex-on-the-roku/

HildyB

Parallels or Fusion for running Win7 with gaming some older and indie games on Steam that don't have a Mac version. Opinions?

Top Bottom