• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

wolfmat said:
It does macros and proper scripting, syntax highlighting, has a file organizer, projects.. Pretty much the baseline you'd need as a sane person.

It's pretty barebones, yes. But sometimes, that's what you want. Sometimes, vim is perfect for the job as well. But vim tends to fuck me over with copy/paste and I'm too lazy to learn it properly.

Does it do syntax highlighting for HTML? It didn't change colors or anything when I was writing HTML like Coda and them which was the biggest turnoff for me.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does it do syntax highlighting for HTML?
Sure. The prominent thing it doesn't do out of the box is tab completion. But that's overrated anyway.

Syntax highlighting is triggered by file extension, you can force it though (at the window's footer).

Jasoco

Banned
wolfmat said:
It does macros and proper scripting, syntax highlighting, has a file organizer, projects.. Pretty much the baseline you'd need as a sane person.

It's pretty barebones, yes. But sometimes, that's what you want. Sometimes, vim is perfect for the job as well. But vim tends to fuck me over with copy/paste and I'm too lazy to learn it properly.
Well the company IS called "Barebones". It's basically a lighter version of BBEdit. But it does most of what I would want out of an editor. Shame the editors that do the other stuff I want don't do some of the stuff TW does. So I compromise on the one that does the important stuff. I'm not some hardcore person. If anything I'd want BBSoftware to remove that horrible "drawer" paradigm that hasn't been used by a sane person since 10.4 when sidebars were introduced and put one in for the function list. I emailed them and they thought I was crazy and that the ideas went against what they felt it should be. Fuck. All I want is a section of the sidebar to have the functions listed instead of a pull-down menu. Would make my life much simpler. Thing is, the bar where the functions pull-down is, it empty for me because I turn everything else that goes there off. So it's lonely and taking up space when it could easily be moved to the sidebar.

Also, another thing I asked about was tabs instead of having the files in the sidebar because MOST OTHER EDITORS AND MANY OTHER PROGRAMS USE FUCKING TABS THESE DAYS! They said "Nope. Not the way we want to go." FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU........ Seriously. Tabs. USE THEM! Use TABS for the file list and the sidebar for the functions. It's so simple, Barebones. WHY U NO LISTEN!?

BareBones said:
Although we have considered the possibility of a tab interface, we have no plans to pursue this since tabs simply do not scale well in actual use; instead, TextWrangler will continue to use a drawer (or equivalent).
How can tabs not "scale well in actual use"? What does that even MEAN? Everything else uses them! They scale FINE! THe fucking TERMINAL uses them! And it uses them WELL!

BareBones said:
As for the function list, we've gotten a number of inquiries about making this persistently visible and will consider options going forward.
Yeah, but when is the real question? Bombich said they were going to have CCC4 have a less obtrusive copying mode window and a menubar application for manually choosing scheduled tasks and watching statuses of running ones, but who knows when the fuck that's going to come out too. :-/

wolfmat said:
Sure. The prominent thing it doesn't do out of the box is tab completion. But that's overrated anyway.

Syntax highlighting is triggered by file extension, you can force it though (at the window's footer).

Ah, I didn't save it yet I was just typing. That would explain why nothing was being highlighted. Thanks.

Burger

Here is a weird question. Say I have ripped the 1st season of Lost from DVD to M4V files, tagged them using iDentify, and added per episode artwork:

ptVwG.png

How do I get the correct artwork for Season 1 to show up in the overall TV grid view? Is there a difference between the artwork used per season to the artwork used per episode?

Burger said:
Here is a weird question. Say I have ripped the 1st season of Lost from DVD to M4V files, tagged them using iDentify, and added per episode artwork:

ptVwG.png

How do I get the correct artwork for Season 1 to show up in the overall TV grid view? Is there a difference between the artwork used per season to the artwork used per episode?

As far as I know there is only the one artwork box to paste stuff.

Whats the general consensus on best twitter clients? The official one fucking sucks and is buggy

Tried a tonne but nit look at smooth as it. Currently using tweetie. Hate the fact most don't have the auto name fill when starting to type a name in a tweet

Burger

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
As far as I know there is only the one artwork box to paste stuff.

:(

How does it work when you purchase seasons in the U.S? I'm in NZ and you can't buy/rent any TV so I can't find out...

KtSlime

Burger said:
:(

How does it work when you purchase seasons in the U.S? I'm in NZ and you can't buy/rent any TV so I can't find out...

I use subler to edit mp4 metadata, have you given that a shot?

KtSlime

Mecha_Infantry said:
Whats the general consensus on best twitter clients? The official one fucking sucks and is buggy

Tried a tonne but nit look at smooth as it. Currently using tweetie. Hate the fact most don't have the auto name fill when starting to type a name in a tweet

Twitterific gets a lot of good reviews, I use it on my iPhone/iPad.

Burger

ivedoneyourmom said:
I use subler to edit mp4 metadata, have you given that a shot?

The metadata is fine, I have a poster frame for the episode itself, just don't know how to assign a season artwork (instead of the 1st episode poster frame) for the main TV Shows view...

Mecha_Infantry said:

I use the official one but Echofon and Weet are good alternatives.

Where is the new macbook thread when everyone ordered in Feb/March?

I'm just trying to see how long it takes for a new product to get into the refurbished store at Apple?

I want to pick up a new laptop but I want to wait if I can get some decent discounts at the refurb store, if not I guess I will just buy brand new. I will be getting Apple care, so it really doesn't matter.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody use 6 gb ram on a 2007/2008 iMac? The official specs are 4GB max but I have read it will recognize and take advantage of 6 GB
Looking for feedback if anyone does.

Mecha_Infantry said:

If you have several devices for Twitter use, phone, computer, tablet, I can not recommend Echofon enough, ti syncs up between all the devices, so you don't have to read the same tweet twice, and it makes Twitter such a more enjoyable experience because of it.

TUSR

Banned
I've been having troubles making a partition on my hard drive. Something about not being able to move files around.

Anyone know of a program that can clean this up and get me going?

thanks

Squire Felix said:
I've been having troubles making a partition on my hard drive. Something about not being able to move files around.

Anyone know of a program that can clean this up and get me going?

thanks
what size is your HDD?

TUSR

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
Is it HFS+? If so, Disk Utility will work just fine.

File System: Journaled HFS+

I just ran a repair permissions, so defrag is somewhere in the mysterious disk utility?

Squire Felix said:
250 gb

140gb free and i cant make a 70gb partition :/

Are you doing it via boot camp? If so I had the same problem, I ended up having to backup my computer and reinstall OS X. If you search the Apple forums you can find some people who found other ways to fix it but none of them worked for me. I think the easiest and probably first step would be to use disk utility to repair permissions.

TUSR

Banned
LyleLanley said:
Are you doing it via boot camp? If so I had the same problem, I ended up having to backup my computer and reinstall OS X. If you search the Apple forums you can find some people who found other ways to fix it but none of them worked for me. I think the easiest and probably first step would be to use disk utility to repair permissions.
I had this problem before on my second install using Bootcamp and I deleted files manually and it seemed to work itself out. Now I can't seem to get it to work because I think my drive is too fragmented

Squire Felix said:
I had this problem before on my second install using Bootcamp and I deleted files manually and it seemed to work itself out. Now I can't seem to get it to work because I think my drive is too fragmented

I just did a bit of research, I would start by booting from the snow leopard install disk and running disk utility to repair the drive. If that doesn't work people have been saying the program iDefrag might work and lastly if that doesn't work just reinstall everything from a time machine backup.

Ashhong

iDefrag should almost assuredly work, though it costs money. I dont know of any free ones, but I remember someone asked about this not too long ago and I think other solutions were given. My problem was specifically Adobe Photoshop. That thing apparently fragments alot, and googling showed me that it was the problem for others too.

KtSlime

LyleLanley said:
I just did a bit of research, I would start by booting from the snow leopard install disk and running disk utility to repair the drive. If that doesn't work people have been saying the program iDefrag might work and lastly if that doesn't work just reinstall everything from a time machine backup.

Sorry I am replying late, but yeah this is what I recommend. Running repair in Disk Utility while booted from another disk should allow you to make a second partition and resize the first.

TUSR

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
Sorry I am replying late, but yeah this is what I recommend. Running repair in Disk Utility while booted from another disk should allow you to make a second partition and resize the first.
Thanks everyone for the reply, I've never had to do any of this before. Can I run a time machine backup on any portable drive?

I just ran a fragmentation scan and it said 49% of my used space is fragmented... Holy hell

Everyone needs to have a go with Picasa, I think the last time I used it was a couple of years ago when I was going through my "everything must be Google" phase. A few days ago I downloaded the most recent version and it is really good, nice interface, easy to use and with a few really nifty tools.

Also, is there an application to help with backing up a couple of folders to an external drive?
I am using TimeMachine to back up my whole HD but there's a couple of folders I update a lot and would like to put separately on a small external HD. It would be helpful if there was a tool where it would check for updates on that folder and then move any new stuff to the external drive.

Defragging took care of my "unable to create partition" problem when I was doing bootcamp.
I used iDefrag.

I wasted a lot of time before I even considered it because of that whole "OSX doesn't need to be defragged" trope that goes around (or went around in the past.) After two years, it was fragged as hell and I'm pretty sure I got a nice speedboost/less pinwheels.

Chao

Smision said:
Defragging took care of my "unable to create partition" problem when I was doing bootcamp.
I used iDefrag.

I wasted a lot of time before I even considered it because of that whole "OSX doesn't need to be defragged" trope that goes around (or went around in the past.) After two years, it was fragged as hell and I'm pretty sure I got a nice speedboost/less pinwheels.

And it doesn't. Your HDD probably had pretty big files that couldn't be moved to a smaller section. All I had to do last time was to copy the bigger stuff to an external HDD, erase those files and then make the partition normally. And then copied those files back to the main HDD.

Over the past two weeks I have been getting notices from SMARTReporter. They have been detecting I/O Errors on three of my internal hard drives. I called up apple and they told me to run disk utility to check for errors. Disk utility came back clean, yet I'm still getting messages from SMARTReporter. Any ideas here?

The kicker is that this started happening when I installed a new hard drive in the fourth bay. Could one hard drive effect the rest of them like this?

Jasoco

Banned
OS X automatically defrags files smaller than, what, I think it's either 1 or 4GB. Either way, your files were probably too big so OS X won't touch them. As was said, you can probably move them off the drive, delete them and move them back to help.

I use a SSD now so it doesn't matter for me anymore. But I'm still weary of partitioning an SSD.

TUSR

Banned
Jasoco said:
OS X automatically defrags files smaller than, what, I think it's either 1 or 4GB. Either way, your files were probably too big so OS X won't touch them. As was said, you can probably move them off the drive, delete them and move them back to help.

I use a SSD now so it doesn't matter for me anymore. But I'm still weary of partitioning an SSD.
Try 20mb. I used Disk Genius or something and it did an amazing job.

For those who helped me before, this was my first W7 install on bootcamp and it went on and patched without problems.

Now its time to get some real nvidia drivers...

TUSR

Banned
Jasoco said:
Is it really 20MB? That's not a lot at all. Wow. There's a lot of files over 20MB on OS X.
Yeah, I was really surprised that it was a 20mb maximum. I guess their idea behind the not defragging thing was people were not going to use a nice laptop to its potential and write psychology notes instead.

Either way, Disk Genius is now a highly recommended program. ~2 hour defrag on a 49% fragmented hard drive after 3 years of use.

Impressed and bootcamp installed and partitioned faster then ever.

Benjillion said:
Over the past two weeks I have been getting notices from SMARTReporter. They have been detecting I/O Errors on three of my internal hard drives. I called up apple and they told me to run disk utility to check for errors. Disk utility came back clean, yet I'm still getting messages from SMARTReporter. Any ideas here?

The kicker is that this started happening when I installed a new hard drive in the fourth bay. Could one hard drive effect the rest of them like this?

Sounds like a false positive being triggered by the new hardware, but I don't know for sure. I would take Disk Utility's word over a third party app. Do they have forums or something? Maybe it's a known issue.

Chao said:
And it doesn't. Your HDD probably had pretty big files that couldn't be moved to a smaller section. All I had to do last time was to copy the bigger stuff to an external HDD, erase those files and then make the partition normally. And then copied those files back to the main HDD.

but my hdd was fragged to shit and performance was definitely down pre-defrag and up afterwards.

ramyeon

Just an update for those that were helping me out -- I managed to retrieve all the files off the HDD that crashed! Put it into an enclosure and hooked it up; looks like it's still working as a drive for reading off, what a relief!

dmshaposv

I recently transferred my entire Zune music library from my Win 7 desktop to my new macbook pro on itunes. Man how I wish MS had a proper Zune player for mac.

The metadata/tags/album art/e.t.c is all royally fudged. What would be the best support apps for itunes to get everything nice and organized? PReferably free. I can't afford to waste time on individually fixing over 78 gigs of music...

ganbareneopokekun said:
could I play portal 2 on the lates mac mini?
Yes, but an update is due soon, and it is going to be much worth the wait.

Wow. Now that I think about it, it's going to be extremely worth the wait! The new Minis with Sandy Bridge should be badass, if they're given discrete graphics of any sort!

Mr. Wonderful said:
Yes, but an update is due soon, and it is going to be much worth the wait.

Wow. Now that I think about it, it's going to be extremely worth the wait! The new Minis with Sandy Bridge should be badass, if they're given discrete graphics of any sort!

thanks, sounds great :)

ngower

One of my Macbook Pro's rubber feet came off last night. First, allow me to rant:

My MBP is slow as dogpiss, came with a broken pixel, hard drive was busted when I bought it, and now this, all within about nine months. My old Macbook gave me four years and could have kept going, but I felt it was time for an upgrade. I'm pretty unhappy with my $2,000 purchase so far...

Anyhoo, anyone know where I can get replacement feet? My MBP slides all over the desk when I'm typing.

Jasoco

Banned
I lost my foot too. But mine isn't slow as piss. I have a SSD and 8GB RAM. Now it's faster than a DeLorean. I got it because my old MB DIDN'T give me even 3 years.

Speaking of which, how does Portal 2 run on a C2D MacBook Pro? Portal 1 runs fine even with some high settings. But I would suspect 2 would push the system a bit further.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:
Just an update for those that were helping me out -- I managed to retrieve all the files off the HDD that crashed! Put it into an enclosure and hooked it up; looks like it's still working as a drive for reading off, what a relief!

Nice, good to hear! It's possible the OS just got messed up or something. If it's working perfectly you could probably reinstall OSX and use it, but then again you probably don't want to risk it, just in case.

ngower said:
One of my Macbook Pro's rubber feet came off last night. First, allow me to rant:

My MBP is slow as dogpiss, came with a broken pixel, hard drive was busted when I bought it, and now this, all within about nine months. My old Macbook gave me four years and could have kept going, but I felt it was time for an upgrade. I'm pretty unhappy with my $2,000 purchase so far...

Anyhoo, anyone know where I can get replacement feet? My MBP slides all over the desk when I'm typing.

Why didn't you exchange it when it came with a broken pixel? I sure as hell would have been in the Apple Store everyday until they gave me a new one.

dmshaposv

dmshaposv said:
I recently transferred my entire Zune music library from my Win 7 desktop to my new macbook pro on itunes. Man how I wish MS had a proper Zune player for mac.

The metadata/tags/album art/e.t.c is all royally fudged. What would be the best support apps for itunes to get everything nice and organized? PReferably free. I can't afford to waste time on individually fixing over 78 gigs of music...

anyone? :/

So I spilled water on my MacBook Pro's keyboard... I tried letting it dry out, but that didn't work, so I tried opening it up to see if there was any water pooled up, but that didn't work either...

Also, that's funny that someone else had one of their plastic feet come off; I've been missing one for a while now but never bothered to replace it because I always rest my laptop on its case, so sliding around isn't a problem.

Top Bottom