• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
I got Parallels during that MacUpdate sale. It is very useful. It plays indie games well for the most part, but I don't know about actual games. At least on my machine.

Fiddling around with iWeb. It sucks that MobileMe is so expensive - I just realised that enabling the Comments function for Blogs on iWeb requires a MobileMe subscription.

I installed 2 extra gb of ram today on my 08 unibody. What a difference it makes! I thought 2gb would hold me over, but with 4gb, it's all so much smoother. If it weren't for being a dork, I could probably use this thing the rest of my life.

Quick question-- how well could the current $1200 macbook pros run PCSX2?

2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000

I want a new macbook, but I figure I should hold off for a big spec bump while my current one is healthy.

The processor looks like a major bottleneck, but I don't know how well an i5 performs compared to my old 2.66ghz C2D E6750 (I think that's the number...)

LCfiner

Meus Renaissance said:
Fiddling around with iWeb. It sucks that MobileMe is so expensive - I just realised that enabling the Comments function for Blogs on iWeb requires a MobileMe subscription.

honestly, it might be for the best. there's very little need to futz around with iWeb these days.

LCfiner said:
honestly, it might be for the best. there's very little need to futz around with iWeb these days.

I fell in love with one of the templates. Very nice. Wish there was something like it.

*The Modern template

Jasoco

Banned
So I bought my MBP last April and for the last month I've noticed the power cable rubber covering starting to tear...

Zzo54.jpg

This is how it looks now.

I took it to the local MacOutfitters and they said it was not covered under my warranty! Even though this is normal wear. This wasn't caused. This happened normally. From regular use. But they can't cover it?

So I wrapped it in electrical tape. Hopefully that will keep it okay for the rest of my computer's life. And if not, I still have a working 2007 MB power cord that works fine with the computer that is going unused since the MB is now gone and dead and in a box in pieces because I couldn't put it back together again.

Has anyone else had this happen? The guy said "They don't cover tearing from normal use." That's stupid. I've known this rubber was terrible since I got the computer. It's way too rubbery and bouncy. The older cable was much more flexible. I don't know why they would change it. The wire covering I mean.

Meus Renaissance said:
I fell in love with one of the templates. Very nice. Wish there was something like it.

*The Modern template
I'd just export a few pages with the design, then clean up the code and rework it into a different template for whatever blogging engine you use.

The only problem is iWeb creates some really cluttered code. Last I checked it didn't use HTML5 for stuff you'd think it would like shadows and images. Instead anything rotated or shadowed is turned into an image. Personally I'd rather code my own using HTML5 instead. Would be much lighter size-wise.

Haven't had it happen with my power cable, but my iphone USB cord has the same problem. They don't reinforce the ends for whatever reason and it's stupid. Electrical tape should fix it...it probably won't break or cause damage.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. It'll also keep it from spreading. I just can't believe they said it wasn't covered. I guess if I were really inclined I could call Apple or take it to an Apple Store and they'd probably replace it if I were nice. But it's not that much of a big deal. If it stops working, THEN I'll call them. I have AppleCare and it's an $80 power adapter. (EIGHTY DOLLARS! THE COST OF A HORSE AND A BOTTLE OF WHISKY IN 1885!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
So anyway, on the topic of media centers, Plex just announced support for Roku's little set top boxes, and it looks like it'll have a really nice interface on the TV side. So if you have a Plex Media Center (PMS) based on Plex/Nine, this might be your best option for getting that media to another TV without having to buy a bunch of Mac mini's or hack an AppleTV.

http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/05/03/plex-on-the-roku/
Interesting that they are starting to bring the client to a wider base. Wonder how long for the windows version? They already have the server

Also, the more they support multiple clients, and a central server including 'shows watched' type metadata, the more they need a simple form of user accounts. Yes I might have watched all of house up to season 6, but my wife might only be up to season 5. Plus the whole keeping adult content away from kids

Edit: damn, US only :( I assume the NTSC thing isn't an issue as it'd be running 1080p, but don't fancy importing. Any idea if they'll come out in Europe?

I wish plex media server would support DLNA. It already has transcoding built in, and it can use it's metadata to present it nicer than most DLNA servers. And other devices like WD live, which are basically thin clients relying on good metadata which PMS is perfectly suited for

ramyeon

So, unfortunately, my assumptions were right and my HDD was fried... They fitted in a new one and the service was great and all; but why don't Apple do data recovery? I know I should have backed up but come on, who would expect a HDD to die within a few months? Does anyone know how to go about data recovery from a laptop hard drive? They were good enough to give me the old drive after taking it out.

ramyeon said:
So, unfortunately, my assumptions were right and my HDD was fried... They fitted in a new one and the service was great and all; but why don't Apple do data recovery? I know I should have backed up but come on, who would expect a HDD to die within a few months? Does anyone know how to go about data recovery from a laptop hard drive? They were good enough to give me the old drive after taking it out.
Depends on how dead it is. Either way, it's your fault. Sucks, but Apple isn't responsible for your data. Get an external drive to backup to, they're not that expensive. :)

ramyeon said:

Because you're supposed to back up your data and NO computer company does this? Even hard drive manufacturers don't retrieve lost data if your drive dies during warranty.

TxdoHawk

ramyeon said:
I know I should have backed up but come on, who would expect a HDD to die within a few months?

Nothing is assured in a world of manufacturing defects. Anything irreplaceable should have at least two copies. You never know.

Does anyone know how to go about data recovery from a laptop hard drive? They were good enough to give me the old drive after taking it out.

There are insane homebrew solutions some people have done that sometimes work, depending on the problem (putting drives in freezers comes to mind). Your more reasonable option is a data recovery company, but you will pay through the nose for their services. $1000 to recover the data off one drive isn't unheard of.

TxdoHawk said:
Nothing is assured in a world of manufacturing defects. Anything irreplaceable should have at least two copies. You never know.

There are insane homebrew solutions some people have done that sometimes work, depending on the problem (putting drives in freezers comes to mind). Your more reasonable option is a data recovery company, but you will pay through the nose for their services. $1000 to recover the data off one drive isn't unheard of.

Can be more also. Usually they charge you by the GB IIRC.

edgefusion

This OS X malware is really getting on my nerves. I've seen it pop-up several times while browsing the net and it downloaded itself 3 times to boot! Glad it's not actually a virus and I can just delete the zip file from my downloads folder or else I'd be in real trouble. Anybody else finding it crop up as often as I am? I'll land on a page and suddenly find myself redirected to a fake "oh noes you've been infected!" page and it'll start downloading.

^ not here, no. what browser are you using? perhaps switching would be wise. and have you run any antivirus/malware scans?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Because you're supposed to back up your data and NO computer company does this? Even hard drive manufacturers don't retrieve lost data if your drive dies during warranty.
yep. friendly reminder: get an external drive. do regular backups with Time Machine and/or something like CarbonCopyCloner. You'll be glad you did.

edgefusion

Dreams-Visions said:
^ not here, no. what browser are you using? perhaps switching would be wise. and have you run any antivirus/malware scans?

yep. friendly reminder: get an external drive. do regular backups with Time Machine and/or something like CarbonCopyCloner. You'll be glad you did.

I'm using Safari. I don't believe I've been 'infected' as I've not installed anything lately let alone anything seemingly untoward and there's nothing unusual running in Activity Monitor. Not quite sure how I seem to be getting redirected, I can only assume I'm visiting the wrong sites.

Minor Dragon Age 2 spoilers as I have to link to a DA2 quest help site, it involves the end of Act 2 and the Arishok:
Can anyone feeling brave tell me where they end up when they click the following link? It takes me to the page about how to defeat that blasted Arishok but a few moments later it redirects to a fake malware warning page and downloads a zip file. I want to see if it happens to anyone else or just me.

hxxp://greywardens.com/2011/03/dragon-age-2-how-to-beat-the-arishok/

Remember to replace the hxxp with http

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
So I bought my MBP last April and for the last month I've noticed the power cable rubber covering starting to tear...

Zzo54.jpg

I took it to the local MacOutfitters and they said it was not covered under my warranty! Even though this is normal wear. This wasn't caused. This happened normally. From regular use. But they can't cover it?

So I wrapped it in electrical tape. Hopefully that will keep it okay for the rest of my computer's life. And if not, I still have a working 2007 MB power cord that works fine with the computer that is going unused since the MB is now gone and dead and in a box in pieces because I couldn't put it back together again.

Has anyone else had this happen? The guy said "They don't cover tearing from normal use." That's stupid. I've known this rubber was terrible since I got the computer. It's way too rubbery and bouncy. The older cable was much more flexible. I don't know why they would change it. The wire covering I mean.

I'd just export a few pages with the design, then clean up the code and rework it into a different template for whatever blogging engine you use.

The only problem is iWeb creates some really cluttered code. Last I checked it didn't use HTML5 for stuff you'd think it would like shadows and images. Instead anything rotated or shadowed is turned into an image. Personally I'd rather code my own using HTML5 instead. Would be much lighter size-wise.

For the life of me, I don't see how people do this. It's obviously semi-kind of normal because it happens so often, but i'm pretty careful not to stress that part of it and I don't have the same issues as badly, certainly not under warranty.

KtSlime

edgefusion said:
I'm using Safari. I don't believe I've been 'infected' as I've not installed anything lately let alone anything seemingly untoward and there's nothing unusual running in Activity Monitor. Not quite sure how I seem to be getting redirected, I can only assume I'm visiting the wrong sites.

Perhaps an extension got installed and you are unaware of it. It wouldn't show up as an independent process in Activity Monitor. Go to your Safari Preferences and turn off Extensions, and restart Safari, if that solves the issue, then you have an better idea where to look.

edgefusion

ivedoneyourmom said:
Perhaps an extension got installed and you are unaware of it. It wouldn't show up as an independent process in Activity Monitor. Go to your Safari Preferences and turn off Extensions, and restart Safari, if that solves the issue, then you have an better idea where to look.

Excellent, that actually worked, thanks! That would've been the last place I expected to look. I don't get redirected when I visit that site anymore so I guess it's time to weed out which extension is causing it. I just wish I didn't have so many. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm on my fourth power adapter.
Those things are built to fail. It's really, really shitty.

Luckily though the Apple store has always given me a free new one.

Ashhong

ramyeon said:

Yea how dead is it? Get an external harddrive case and plug the old HDD into it. See if anything happens. If nothing happens, freeze the harddrive for a while. These are the easiest home solutions I can think of. Make sure to return the case after you're done
3AQmK.gif

So, my macbook won't output to my HDTV with the 270.61 driver (or whatever is the newest) for the 9400m. I tried various settings in windows, but it doesn't send any signal at all. I can tell because my tv goes into its no signal countdown after a bit. I'm using a display port to HDMI adapter. It still worked fine on the mac side, so it's not the cable or anything.

When I uninstall and reinstall the stock windows 9400m drivers (177.16 or something), it works fine.

any ideas on what's causing this? HDCP?

Ashhong

So the problem is in Bootcamp? How about on another TV, still doesnt work? Probably just a driver issue, downgrade a bit

Ashhong said:
So the problem is in Bootcamp? How about on another TV, still doesnt work? Probably just a driver issue, downgrade a bit

yeah, bootcamp. I don't have any other displays to test, unfortunately.

is there a page with all the releases? I'd rather find the best one I can use than the stock one with no optimizations.

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
Yea how dead is it? Get an external harddrive case and plug the old HDD into it. See if anything happens. If nothing happens, freeze the harddrive for a while. These are the easiest home solutions I can think of. Make sure to return the case after you're done
3AQmK.gif
Thanks for the useful reply! I'm checking out enclosures now, but are there any you know of that are on the cheaper side?

And yes guys, I do know I should have backed up ;)

Ashhong

Smision said:
yeah, bootcamp. I don't have any other displays to test, unfortunately.

is there a page with all the releases? I'd rather find the best one I can use than the stock one with no optimizations.

That I do not know. What's wrong with using the old stock drivers that you said does work?

ramyeon said:
Thanks for the useful reply! I'm checking out enclosures now, but are there any you know of that are on the cheaper side?

And yes guys, I do know I should have backed up ;)

Are you planning on keeping the external case after you're done? If so then I would have to take a look. If not, and you want to be cheap like me, just go to Best Buy or whatever electronics store, buy the case and return it later ^^

edit: Is this a imac or macbook?

luoapp

Jasoco said:

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Zzo54.jpg[/IMG]

Heat shrink tubes are much better than tapes, and looks nicer too. There are big size tubes can let the pulg pass through, you may want to try that.

ramyeon

Ashhong said:
That I do not know. What's wrong with using the old stock drivers that you said does work?

Are you planning on keeping the external case after you're done? If so then I would have to take a look. If not, and you want to be cheap like me, just go to Best Buy or whatever electronics store, buy the case and return it later ^^

edit: Is this a imac or macbook?
Managed to grab a cheapo one online for around $25. Should work for what I need it for anyway.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best hard drives for backing up using time machine? I was looking at the WD My Book Studio drives and they are tempting due to the firewire but a little bit on the expensive side.

twofold

Jasoco said:

Zzo54.jpg

I've had this happen twice. Both times, Apple replaced it.

I've since bought one of the older style non-right angle magsafe adapters and it has been totally fine. I'm never using one of those right angle ones again.

Ashhong said:

It's basically the first driver ever for the card, so no optimizations or anything like that.

But I tested the second newest driver and it's working again!

So I have both Espresso and Coda installed on my mac. Are these two the best editors for OSX? I like Coda more so far, it just seems more polished but I'm just teaching myself HTML for the first time now so I was curious if anyone has any opinions on which is better or if there is a completely different program that is a lot better.

bionic77

I had to replace the HD in my 2006 Core Duo MBP last night and that was a nerve wracking 20-30 minutes..

I previously had a 120 gig 5400 rpm drive that was acting up the last few weeks so before it died I bought a cheap 500 gig 7200 rpm drive online. All you need to change the hard drive is a small philips, a T6 Torx, and nerves of fucking steel. The hardest part by far is getting the keyboard off (and then on again). Doing it really makes you appreciate the new design of the unibodies.

After going through all of that I am amazed at how much of a difference it made and even more so at how well this antique beast still runs. It pales in comparison to my i5 2010 MBP, but for 90% of my tasks it is more than adequate. I remember when my Dell laptop hit 5 years that thing was so slow and cumbersome just to turn on that I felt like throwing it in the garbage.

i'm sorry for not researching what I could easily find out on my own:

Is there a spec bump for macbook pros coming any time soon? Any chance of it including a 3.0ghz processor?

KtSlime

Smision said:
i'm sorry for not researching what I could easily find out on my own:

Is there a spec bump for macbook pros coming any time soon? Any chance of it including a 3.0ghz processor?

No one knows, but probably not too soon, if I was to guess I would say October is the most likely. They just released an update to the MacBook Pro line a little while ago. And I don't know if a 3.0 is in the cards, in fact, I don't think I have ever seen a 3ghz core laptop made by anyone yet.

ivedoneyourmom said:
No one knows, but probably not too soon, if I was to guess I would say October is the most likely. They just released an update to the MacBook Pro line a little while ago. And I don't know if a 3.0 is in the cards, in fact, I don't think I have ever seen a 3ghz core 2 duo laptop made by anyone yet.

did a little digging and apparently the next one is gonna be a whole new redesign. I'll suffer a little longer and see what that brings. Though it is awfully tempting to sell off my current one and get the 2.7ghz MBP.

Chairman85

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So I have both Espresso and Coda installed on my mac. Are these two the best editors for OSX? I like Coda more so far, it just seems more polished but I'm just teaching myself HTML for the first time now so I was curious if anyone has any opinions on which is better or if there is a completely different program that is a lot better.
TextMate is a popular choice and a personal favorite.

Jasoco

Banned
edgefusion said:

Minor Dragon Age 2 spoilers as I have to link to a DA2 quest help site, it involves the end of Act 2 and the Arishok:
Can anyone feeling brave tell me where they end up when they click the following link? It takes me to the page about how to defeat that blasted Arishok but a few moments later it redirects to a fake malware warning page and downloads a zip file. I want to see if it happens to anyone else or just me.

hxxp://greywardens.com/2011/03/dragon-age-2-how-to-beat-the-arishok/

Remember to replace the hxxp with http
For me it can't find the IP. It says this:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 69.50.214.42
Suggestions:
Try reloading: 69.­50.­214.­42/­92cee6bfd0da6399­870b53c83f58cd0b­df7481caaf054b25­​
Interestingly the IP in the "try reloading" part has hidden characters after each period when you copy and paste into an ASCII editor.

Occasionally I'll hit a fake Windows XP style site that tries to pass itself off as a Virus scanner featuring a realistic scanning animation and errors that would definitely scare any n00b Windows user into thinking it was legit. But on a Mac, in a Chrome window, it's just sad. Plus if you have anything other than XP, it's going to be obvious to any experienced Windows user. I've taken screenshots of it before. Unfortunately I have since deleted it from my Tinypic. Oh well.

Fortunately these things are harmless as long as you don't open them and try to run the EXE in Parallels or another VM. But it's cute to see them try.

Burger

shidoshi said:
For what it's worth, I use Coda and am a big fan of it.

Another vote for Coda, great great app. Wish they would update it and put Amazon S3 support in, but Transmit has it covered for now.

shidoshi said:
For what it's worth, I use Coda and am a big fan of it.

Cool, I'm liking it so far too but granted I only did the first 3 chapters of the html book I'm using. Thanks for the opinion.

Burger said:
Another vote for Coda, great great app. Wish they would update it and put Amazon S3 support in, but Transmit has it covered for now.

Thanks!

Jasoco

Banned
wolfmat said:
I also use TextWrangler for a lot of shit.
Me too. I haven't been able to transition to any other editor. There's always some weird quirk that I'm used to on TW that the other apps don't have. And I've tried them ALL. And TW is FREE. Many of the others are not.

Jasoco said:
Me too. I haven't been able to transition to any other editor. There's always some weird quirk that I'm used to on TW that the other apps don't have. And I've tried them ALL. And TW is FREE. Many of the others are not.

Textwrangler doesn't do anything for me, it's too plain. Unless I'm missing something it's just a straight up text program like notepad.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Textwrangler doesn't do anything for me, it's too plain. Unless I'm missing something it's just a straight up text program like notepad.
It does macros and proper scripting, syntax highlighting, has a file organizer, projects.. Pretty much the baseline you'd need as a sane person.

It's pretty barebones, yes. But sometimes, that's what you want. Sometimes, vim is perfect for the job as well. But vim tends to fuck me over with copy/paste and I'm too lazy to learn it properly.

Top Bottom