• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Drewsky

My iMac seems to be waking up from sleep slower than it did previously. It's not ridiculous or anything, but it's a noticeable difference to me.

Anyone know what could cause this?

My imac came today!!!! Been without a computer for two weeks. Luckily Ive had an iPad.

27inch 3.4 Quad i7
8GB Ram
2TB HDD wanted the SSD 4-6 wait time was out of the question
2GB 6970 Graphics

Soooo pumped. Just waiting for my backup to restore from timemachine. Only 1hr 35min left.

Jasoco

Banned
wolfmat said:
Can't you just move stuff manually when you feel like it? I mean, once you've moved your current collection, you've got a lot of free place, and when you're out of that again, you know what to do. It's really the easiest way of doing things.
Yeah, I'll just continue doing that. I only need to do it when a new Keynote happens anyway. Or when I feel like archiving the larger podcasts like the HAWPcasts.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I currently have a portable hard drive with a XP partition in FAT32 and a normal OSX partition. I have already filled up my OSX partition, and I rarely use XP so I was wondering if there is a way to delete the XP partition and not delete my content from my OSX side?

Thanks!

glaurung

Liquid_015 said:
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. I currently have a portable hard drive with a XP partition in FAT32 and a normal OSX partition. I have already filled up my OSX partition, and I rarely use XP so I was wondering if there is a way to delete the XP partition and not delete my content from my OSX side?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure you can remove the FAT partition using Disk Utility and then expand the Mac one.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
glaurung said:
I'm pretty sure you can remove the FAT partition using Disk Utility and then expand the Mac one.

I've tried it before, and it wiped my entire Portable HD. I'm just trying to get rid of the FAT32 format and merge the empty space with my Journaled OSX side.

Liquid_015 said:
I've tried it before, and it wiped my entire Portable HD. I'm just trying to get rid of the FAT32 format and merge the empty space with my Journaled OSX side.
It shouldn't have unless you did it wrong. If you select the partition in Disk Utility, click the minus button to remove it, then drag the OS X partition to fill out the empty space it should work fine.

Edit: Oh yay avatars! :D

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Treefingers said:
It shouldn't have unless you did it wrong. If you select the partition in Disk Utility, click the minus button to remove it, then drag the OS X partition to fill out the empty space it should work fine.

Edit: Oh yay avatars! :D

I followed your instructions but the option to remove the partition is "greyed out".

mrkgoo

Drewsky said:
My iMac seems to be waking up from sleep slower than it did previously. It's not ridiculous or anything, but it's a noticeable difference to me.

I doubt you've changed it, but check your hibernate mode. Google mac os x hibernatemode.

Liquid_015 said:
I followed your instructions but the option to remove the partition is "greyed out".
Hm I would try booting into the install disc and trying Disk Utility from there, it might work.

Otherwise I'm not sure, perhaps something like GParted might do the job?

Edit: I also found iPartition which costs quite a bit but is supposedly very good.

I have a dvd with a data written on it and I want to extract it to work it. I can't do that because as soon as I enter the dvd in my Mac, it runs as a dvd but can't open it as a folder. Any program to do so ?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Treefingers said:
Hm I would try booting into the install disc and trying Disk Utility from there, it might work.

Otherwise I'm not sure, perhaps something like GParted might do the job?

Edit: I also found iPartition which costs quite a bit but is supposedly very good.

I think I have confused you, so let me clarify. I have a Portable HD, and I partitioned the HD into two different formats: one is windows compatible and the other is Mac compatible. As of right now, I am trying to delete my XP compatible partition because I rarely boot into XP.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Drewsky said:

Try restoring the OS.

Liquid_015 said:
I think I have confused you, so let me clarify. I have a Portable HD, and I partitioned the HD into two different formats: one is windows compatible and the other is Mac compatible. As of right now, I am trying to delete my XP compatible partition because I rarely boot into XP.
Well yeah, since Disk Utility doesn't seem to be allowing you to remove the Windows-compatible partition I made some suggestions that might work. :p

Or you could probably hook the HD up to a Windows system & delete the Windows partition from there (I think).

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Treefingers said:
Well yeah, since Disk Utility doesn't seem to be allowing you to remove the Windows-compatible partition I made some suggestions that might work. :p

Or you could probably hook the HD up to a Windows system & delete the Windows partition from there (I think).

Thanks a lot :D I guess Gparted would work in my case :D Will have to test once I get home.

SuperPac

centracore said:
Not sure if anyone cares, but it looks like Reeder for Mac has left beta and hit the App Store, $9.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder/id439845554?mt=12&ls=1

I tried using the beta early on but didn't like the way the window looked and the flat color scheme on the larger screen. But...I might still have to give it a go again. It's the closest of any RSS app to beating the Google Reader web interface for me.

EDIT: Ooh, it's really come a long way from the first beta. Impressive.

Okay. That sounds good. Should I also reinstall the OS, and if so, it always asks for an Apple account before it allows you to fully boot in for the first time. How do I handle this situation?

criesofthepast said:
Use disc utility and do a 7-Pass Erase. Done.

Maybe 1 pass is enough but I'm paranoid so when I sold my MacBook last year I did 7 pass.

I installed the OS again just because the guy I sold it to wanted to test everything out to see if it all worked. I know it prompts you to enter information and create or enter an Apple ID when you boot up for the first time after an new OS install but can't you skip that? I remember just entering the name of the guy I was selling my Macbook to and skipping everything else. Guess you could just create a dummy ID with fake email just for the sake of it. Guy buying the computer is most likely going to reformat again himself.

Anyone good with iworks numbers?

I teach English and I have to submit scores for the end of term. The score I submit is 65% of the students final grade, so I have a table which breaks down all their marks through the semester into a total out of 65, to make it easier for me to submit in into the computer.

I would like an extra column that then makes this 65% mark into a mark out of 100% just for my own interest. Can this be done easily, I really think I can't see the wood for the trees with this?

Screen_shot_2011_06_10_at_12_50_57.png

I have 9 classes so a formula would make it easier.

mf.luder

DancingCactus77 said:
Okay. That sounds good. Should I also reinstall the OS, and if so, it always asks for an Apple account before it allows you to fully boot in for the first time. How do I handle this situation?

7 pass takes a long period of time, make sure you plan ahead!

Garou

criesofthepast said:
Use disc utility and do a 7-Pass Erase. Done.

Maybe 1 pass is enough but I'm paranoid so when I sold my MacBook last year I did 7 pass.

1 pass is absolutely enough. After 1 pass someone would need to take the drive to a special recovery-facility where the drive is opened in a clean-room environment costing thousands of dollars.
If you aren't the FBI 1 pass is enough, there are no "hacking-tools" that can restore your data with one click after that.

guest1321

travisbickle said:
Anyone good with iworks numbers?

I teach English and I have to submit scores for the end of term. The score I submit is 65% of the students final grade, so I have a table which breaks down all their marks through the semester into a total out of 65, to make it easier for me to submit in into the computer.

I would like an extra column that then makes this 65% mark into a mark out of 100% just for my own interest. Can this be done easily, I really think I can't see the wood for the trees with this?

Screen_shot_2011_06_10_at_12_50_57.png

I have 9 classes so a formula would make it easier.
If it is anything like excel all you would need to do is create a link back to previous column and turn that number into a percentage. I.e
D is the column out of 65. Then the E column would contain the percentage.
So for row 12 you would have column E have a formula dependent upon Column D.
E12 = (D12/65) * 100

This will yield you a percentage. Basically you are taking your grade out of 65 and turning that into a percent.

EDIT: Your picture did not show up last night as I was using the mobile app and I can get a better idea for what you are getting at now. If the above formula doesn't work, then you make need to divide by .65 instead 65.

quaere

DancingCactus77 said:
Special Apple keyboard key that I don't actually know the name of + Q allows you to skip this screen.

kennah

UnluckyKate said:
I have a dvd with a data written on it and I want to extract it to work it. I can't do that because as soon as I enter the dvd in my Mac, it runs as a dvd but can't open it as a folder. Any program to do so ?
Close DVD Player and then right click the disc icon on your desktop and click "Open"

Mac GAF help!

So here's the deal. I have an iMac and run multiple monitors. Except my secondary monitor is also hooked up to a cable box. SO when I don't need it for editing I use just the iMac and the 2nd display as a TV.

I have been told Switchres X will allow me to disable the secondary display. I got the program, it says it should work, yet I can not figure out how the hell to activate the settings so I can easily disable the display.

It becomes a pain when I want the TV on because certain apps like my Pulp reader, or Photoshop & AE tools launch in the second monitor. So does my finder when I had last used it there.

Help please!

So I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro with very little disk space left. I use Time Machine to back everything up. Now, I'm pretty sure I just want to wipe everything from my hard drive and start fresh. But, I still want to at least keep my music intact. Everything else I don't really have an issue with. Is there any specific way I should go about doing this? Can I completely start from scratch, install Snow Leopard and its updates, and then just migrate my music over to the laptops internal hard drive?

This is the first time I've ever done this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

guest1321

DeathbyVolcano said:
Help please!

So I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro with very little disk space left. I use Time Machine to back everything up. Now, I'm pretty sure I just want to wipe everything from my hard drive and start fresh. But, I still want to at least keep my music intact. Everything else I don't really have an issue with. Is there any specific way I should go about doing this? Can I completely start from scratch, install Snow Leopard and its updates, and then just migrate my music over to the laptops internal hard drive?

This is the first time I've ever done this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have done exactly as you have described before and it works fairly well and kinda cleans up a lot of the crap that comes along with installing apps and deleting them and then repeating this many a times. As you are using Time Machine you really don't have to worry too much about botching something too badly. If anything goes badly and you want your information back you have the ability to just start all over again with the reinstall of Mac OS X and then restoring from a Time Machine back-up.

Something to note though is that it is a fairly time intensive process and getting back all the apps can be a pain in the ass in some cases. If you are worried about your music make sure you copy your iTunes folder under the Music tab over completely. It contains a "iTunes Music Library.xml" file that contains all your playlist's and information about your library, so when you restore it will still feel the same.

If you are a MS Office user make sure you deactivate your suite's serial number. I'm assuming that you have MS 2008, and if I recall correctly, the Serial number that validates your software will not work on a new system if you try and deactivate it.

All in all, this might yield a quite a bit of performance but for the effort it may be worth it to do a complete reinstall when Lion comes out in a month or two. In the mean time just back up the files you want, and surprise yourself when you find a file that you would have been pissed if you forgot (
even though that is what time machine is for
)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
couple of chronosync questions:

- I have a chronosync job scheduled to wake my MBP up at 2am once a week to back up my photos to my NAS. But it isn't waking it up. When I open my MBP in the morning it completes the task fine. I have chronosync scheduler running in the background and set to wake it up. Any ideas?

- I have another chronosync job set to backup my photos to a USB drive attached to my time capsule. But it can't find the target. it doesn't show up in finder unless I select the time capsule first. Even having Chronosync set to mount the target doesn't seem to be helping. Is there a way to handle this?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Have a quick question:

I am currently on OSX Leopard 10.5.8 and I currently acquired Snow Leopard from a friend. However, I have done some aesthetic changes on my desktop: Geek Tools, Icon changes, and Login Screen wallpaper. I was wondering if I update my OS to Snow Leopard will it revert the changes I have made back into the stock Apple OS?

Thanks!

ZZMitch

Just got my new Macbook Pro 15inch.

It is pretty great. I got everything set up, installed Windows 7 etc. Now I am installing many GBs of games. Any must have apps you guys got for me on the Mac side?

guest1321

Liquid_015 said:
Have a quick question:

I am currently on OSX Leopard 10.5.8 and I currently acquired Snow Leopard from a friend. However, I have done some aesthetic changes on my desktop: Geek Tools, Icon changes, and Login Screen wallpaper. I was wondering if I update my OS to Snow Leopard will it revert the changes I have made back into the stock Apple OS?

Thanks!
My guess is that it will revert the icon changes as well as the login screen wallpaper. As geek tool is a preference it might hold onto it, but my experience with Geek Tool was that it intermittently turned itself off anyway. Give it a shot, but be prepared to set it up again.

ZZMitch said:

It is pretty great. I got everything set up, installed Windows 7 etc. Now I am installing many GBs of games. Any must have apps you guys got for me on the Mac side?

- ...minecraft
- TextWrangler (kicks the crap out of TextEdit)
- Chrome
- BowTie (gives song info)
- BetterTouchTool
- CyberDuck (best SSH client IMO)
- RARexpander (if you need it)
- Sparrow (iOS like mail client)
- Max (audio file converter)
- VLC :) (Duh)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tansmission is an ok torrent client. Adium is the go to IM client, but be sure to replace the dock icon with something less obnoxious than what it comes with.

what other kind of apps do you use?

ZZMitch

Jtwo said:
Tansmission is an ok torrent client. Adium is the go to IM client, but be sure to replace the dock icon with something less obnoxious than what it comes with.

what other kind of apps do you use?
Hmm..

Is there a fraps like client for mac? I guess I am just looking for apps that will improve my general usage.. like adding extra settings and customization options and stuff that will make my experience with the stock apps better if that makes sense.

Also, is there an easy way to get music on itunes from one computer to another, or even from the Mac OSX side to the windows side of boot camp?

Anso

ZZMitch said:

I prefer The Unarchiver instead of previously mentioned RAR Expander. The Unarchiver handles EVERYTHING and is actively developed, free and on the Mac App Store.

Other must-haves:
Twitter for Mac (if you use Twitter)
Transmission (for torrents)
Adium (for IM)
QuickSilver OR LaunchBar OR Alfred (Keyboard launchers, I can't live without)
Screenflow (for all your screen capture needs)
Steam
VLC

guest1321 said:
- ...minecraft
- TextWrangler (kicks the crap out of TextEdit)
- Chrome
- BowTie (gives song info)
- BetterTouchTool
- CyberDuck (best SSH client IMO)
- RARexpander (if you need it)
- Sparrow (iOS like mail client)
- Max (audio file converter)
- VLC :) (Duh)
-Reeder (superior RSS)
-Adium (superior IM)

-Transmit (superior FTP)
-CarbonCopyCloner (HDD cloning)
-F.lux (same as in Windows)

-Audrivana (music player with superior audio quality)
-Plex
-Screenflow (screen recording)
-Firefox/Chrome
-BetterTouchTool (customizable touchpad gestures)
-Quicksilver (superior Spotlight)
-SMCFanControl (custom fan speed)
-gfxCardStatus (select which GPU is engaged)

-LittleSnitch (block/allow internet traffic based on application)
-Steam

bolded are required installations, IMO. All are highly recommended.

ZZMitch

My friend had this thing that you could use to kind of take a snapshot of something on a website by simply dragging I box around it. I think it comes pre-installed but I don't know how to find or use it.

Anyone got an idea what I am talking about?

Jasoco

Banned
Command+Shift+3 for full screenshot
Command+Shift+4 for selection screenshot
Command+Shift+4 > Space for window screenshot

ZZMitch

Jasoco said:
Command+Shift+3 for full screenshot
Command+Shift+4 for selection screenshot
Command+Shift+4 > Space for window screenshot

That's it, thanks!

Thank you for all the app recommendations as well. I will look into them!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I'm thinking of getting iWorks. I'll probably need it for my new job.

dream

After staring at Reeder on the top of the Paid Apps section for a few days, I finally said fuck it and bought it.

It's really good. It moves RSS readers ahead in a lot of meaningful ways. This is the first RSS reader I've used on OS X that feels like it's more than just "well, let's just rip off the 3 pane view from NetNewsWire and sync with Google Reader."

X-Frame

dream said:
After staring at Reeder on the top of the Paid Apps section for a few days, I finally said fuck it and bought it.

It's really good. It moves RSS readers ahead in a lot of meaningful ways. This is the first RSS reader I've used on OS X that feels like it's more than just "well, let's just rip off the 3 pane view from NetNewsWire and sync with Google Reader."

I'll probably do the same. I use GR every day, multiple times a day. So in the end, $10 is worth it.

Can you edit/modify/add subscriptions from Reeder?

LCfiner

I've been using Reeder since the open beta and it's really great. very fast, integrated with lots of services and there's robust gesture support.

highly recommended and 10 bucks well spent

Top Bottom