• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

guest1321

So you really have four options:
1) Start Fresh and import all the old stuff
2) Boot to disk and archive and install
3) Update through disk
4) Fresh install and then back up through time machine.

Which will yield the most performance, and is the margin of effort to do it worth it?

Jasoco

Banned
JonCha said:
And people have the tenacity to say that you can't right click.
Both my dad and godfather, who both use PC's, were confused as to how to click the first time they used a no-button multi-touch trackpad. (The former my MBP, the latter my Cr-48) I said "Just click." and they wouldn't understand until I said "no, press the pad. Click it. Push it down." Then they got it. I don't use tap to click on anything since I've had too many accidental unwanted clicks, but they kept trying to tap.

So it's not 100% obvious from the start to newbies who didn't buy the machine themselves. Do Macs have tap-to-click on by default I assume? I bet there's a lot of current Mac users out there who don't currently know you can actually press the pad. And I bet some have called Apple to report a broken "loose" trackpad who felt silly when Apple told them it is a button.

JonCha

Jasoco said:
Both my dad and godfather, who both use PC's, were confused as to how to click the first time they used a no-button multi-touch trackpad. (The former my MBP, the latter my Cr-48) I said "Just click." and they wouldn't understand until I said "no, press the pad. Click it. Push it down." Then they got it. I don't use tap to click on anything since I've had too many accidental unwanted clicks, but they kept trying to tap.

So it's not 100% obvious from the start to newbies who didn't buy the machine themselves. Do Macs have tap-to-click on by default I assume? I bet there's a lot of current Mac users out there who don't currently know you can actually press the pad. And I bet some have called Apple to report a broken "loose" trackpad who felt silly when Apple told them it is a button.

Sure there are cases like that, but people have said to me that you can't right click and have been made to look stupid.

I never click my trackpad to right click? I just tap with two fingers. I want to say it was on by default, but I'm not sure.

Jasoco

Banned
JonCha said:
Sure there are cases like that, but people have said to me that you can't right click and have been made to look stupid.

I never click my trackpad to right click? I just tap with two fingers. I want to say it was on by default, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, I would bet it's default. I can't use tap to click though. I get way too many mis-clicks. It is always clicking when I didn't want to that it gets to the point I just have to turn the damn thing off. I prefer to press the pad. And I love that I can press it anywhere and with as many fingers as I want and it does something different for each.

Anso

I Big JG I said:
another question: assuming lion comes out soon, what is the best way to install? i am thinking back-up current data (via time machine), format, fresh install, restore apps and docs from time machine? is there a better way than that?

thanks

Make sure you don't have any Rosetta-dependent apps as those will stop working with Lion.

To be completely honest, always wait a few months before upgrading to a new version of your OS to let people catch up with patches and compatibility.

hirokazu

Tap to click is boss.

I hate how the login screen uses the default SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ass tracking speed and the default no tap to click. Get's me every time.

hirokazu said:
Tap to click is boss.

I hate how the login screen uses the default SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW ass tracking speed and the default no tap to click. Get's me every time.
I've found that tap to click always results in a bunch of accidental clicks for me, so I turn it off.

Anso

quadriplegicjon said:
How do you tell?

Wish I had a good answer, nothing in the Get Info menu.

Since 10.6 Rosetta is optional and any app that requires it will ask to install it for you. If you've never seen that you should be safe! It's basically for older legacy apps that were created for the PowerPC architecture so if you started using a Mac from 10.5 or 10.6 I doubt you have any Rosetta-dependent apps.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
NekoFever said:
Open System Profiler, go down to Applications on the left, and sort them by Kind. Anything that's PowerPC in the list won't work in Lion.

Ooh, that's even better. Don't have to open up each program. Excellent! Thanks again.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Man, I can't believe how great this operating system is.
So intuitive. Nothing is hard. amazing.

Anso said:
Make sure you don't have any Rosetta-dependent apps as those will stop working with Lion.

To be completely honest, always wait a few months before upgrading to a new version of your OS to let people catch up with patches and compatibility.

only have photoshop cs2 that is a power pc app...no big deal there. bet i can do everything that photoshop can with a combo of Pixelmator & Aperture.

dmshaposv

Anso said:
Wish I had a good answer, nothing in the Get Info menu.

Since 10.6 Rosetta is optional and any app that requires it will ask to install it for you. If you've never seen that you should be safe! It's basically for older legacy apps that were created for the PowerPC architecture so if you started using a Mac from 10.5 or 10.6 I doubt you have any Rosetta-dependent apps.

ugh looks like no Warcraft III/DotA for me. :(

Hurry up on DotA 2 valve so I can get my LAN fix.

Anso

Yeah, personally I have ReCycle so upgrade is a no-no for a while. StarCraft? Diablo II? WC3? Those are big ones I would hate to lose too.

ZZMitch

Hey guys,

So as a high school graduation gift my parents are going to give me some money to put towards a lap top for college. With that money it looks like I will have saved up enough for the Macbook I want (the 15inch with the 1GB graphics card). I should be picking it up this friday. I am not that experienced with Mac and have been mostly using my CR48 as a laptop the last few months :p . I also own a gaming PC, which I am debating bringing to college with me.

Anyway, what is recommended I get with my Macbook? I am going to get Windows 7 for bootcamp obviously, since I may try to use this as a replacement for my gaming pc while in college. I dunno if that will work out though since I will miss out on Battlefield 3 >.< . I don't know anything about mac software stuff so help me out here!

guest1321

ZZMitch said:
Hey guys,

So as a high school graduation gift my parents are going to give me some money to put towards a lap top for college. With that money it looks like I will have saved up enough for the Macbook I want (the 15inch with the 1GB graphics card). I should be picking it up this friday. I am not that experienced with Mac and have been mostly using my CR48 as a laptop the last few months :p . I also own a gaming PC, which I am debating bringing to college with me.

Anyway, what is recommended I get with my Macbook? I am going to get Windows 7 for bootcamp obviously, since I may try to use this as a replacement for my gaming pc while in college. I dunno if that will work out though since I will miss out on Battlefield 3 >.< . I don't know anything about mac software stuff so help me out here!

If I'm not mistaken they are expecting a full refresh of the MacBook line fairly soon. It has been about 3 years now with the same body style and a couple more with the x86 architecture. Although the latter change is only rumor and probably far off, I think it would be likely to see something new pop up soon. That being said, the 15" MacBook Pro's are pretty bad ass! Get the high res screen! It looks superb!

ZZMitch

guest1321 said:
If I'm not mistaken they are expecting a full refresh of the MacBook line fairly soon. It has been about 3 years now with the same body style and a couple more with the x86 architecture. Although the latter change is only rumor and probably far off, I think it would be likely to see something new pop up soon. That being said, the 15" MacBook Pro's are pretty bad ass! Get the high res screen! It looks superb!

Sorry I meant Macbook Pro! And didn't they just update these in February or something?

ZZMitch said:
Sorry I meant Macbook Pro! And didn't they just update these in February or something?
yea, you're safe if you get it now.

As for software, there are lots of recommendations. Get your Mac and go from there.

Echoes

Why is Carbon Copy Cloner SO slow?

Screen%20shot%202011-06-06%20at%207.17.04%20AM.png

Jasoco

Banned
Echoes said:
Why is Carbon Copy Cloner SO slow?

Screen%20shot%202011-06-06%20at%207.17.04%20AM.png
It's not?

Is that an initial backup? Or an incremental clone? And is it to a USB drive? Or FireWire? Because USB is extremely slow. It took me two days to copy 2.5TB of data. I assume that's not a network backup.

CCC goes as fast as Rsync does. Which is a command line utility built into OS X.

Also, Rsync seems to copy thousands of tiny files much slower than one huge file of the same size.

I don't know what is causing your speed. 3 hours for 10GB is not normal. Make sure the drive isn't bad. You might have a problem. Try stopping the transfer and start it again. If it continues at the same speed, something is wrong. It's not CCC. It's something else.

mr stroke

I couldn't wait until tomorrow and bought a new Pro today. I want to change out the drive to a 120gb OCZ SSD. Is it easy to do my self? or worth paying a shop $100 to do the swap for me?
(never used a Mac before nor have I ever opened up a laptop so don't want to screw up)

Jasoco

Banned
mr stroke said:
I couldn't wait until tomorrow and bought a new Pro today. I want to change out the drive to a 120gb OCZ SSD. Is it easy to do my self? or worth paying a shop $100 to do the swap for me?
(never used a Mac before nor have I ever opened up a laptop so don't want to screw up)
I doubt there'll be Pro updates tomorrow, but remember if it DOES get updated, you have 14 days to return it. (For a restocking fee I believe)

ZZMitch said:
Hey guys,

You can always Boot Camp it and run Windows on it if you still want to play PC games. So don't assume you're completely left out. Curious, if you're not that experienced with a Mac, why do you want one? I found the transition to be a bit jarring having used Windows most of my life as not everything is better moving to the OSX side. Several things are, but some things are worse. I'm not saying don't get it, but just make sure you're getting it for the right reasons, especially since Macs cost more.

Echoes

Jasoco said:
It's not?

Is that an initial backup? Or an incremental clone? And is it to a USB drive? Or FireWire? Because USB is extremely slow. It took me two days to copy 2.5TB of data. I assume that's not a network backup.

CCC goes as fast as Rsync does. Which is a command line utility built into OS X.

Also, Rsync seems to copy thousands of tiny files much slower than one huge file of the same size.

I don't know what is causing your speed. 3 hours for 10GB is not normal. Make sure the drive isn't bad. You might have a problem. Try stopping the transfer and start it again. If it continues at the same speed, something is wrong. It's not CCC. It's something else.
USB, and this is incremental. I'm not sure what's causing it. Now it's 4:45 / 12.87GB. Well, I'll let it finish and then run it again and see what goes.

ZZMitch

Marty Chinn said:
You can always Boot Camp it and run Windows on it if you still want to play PC games. So don't assume you're completely left out. Curious, if you're not that experienced with a Mac, why do you want one? I found the transition to be a bit jarring having used Windows most of my life as not everything is better moving to the OSX side. Several things are, but some things are worse. I'm not saying don't get it, but just make sure you're getting it for the right reasons, especially since Macs cost more.

Well I am graduating from high school and most of my friends have macs and my friends want to all keep in touch using facetime. I am not really inexperienced per say, I use Mac OSX from time to time (my mom owns a Mac Mini) and I enjoy it. I also want the freedom of having the choice between both operating systems in case I need to use a program from one or the other for whatever reason.

I am kind of interested in the $699PC = free xbox deal but after using my friends macs and using my pcs etc I have come to the conclusion (at least in my eyes) that PCs are better as desktops while Macs are better as lap tops. That is just my personal experiences I guess though (love my gaming rig, hate my 2007 dell inspiron)!

numble

ZZMitch said:
Hey guys,

Make sure you get the education discount, and make sure you do it after the back to school promo has launched.

Veidt said:
Dear experienced OS X users.
How do I get that mini-audio player on my desktop? The one that displays the "Now Playing" tracks. I don't want to have to go into iTunes every time I want to pause or change a track.
The F keys also control iTunes

I think it's F7 - 9 for back play forward.

Then I use GrowlTunes for a popup of what is playing.

Also, if you have iPhone headphones the remote works on the MacBook too.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
travisbickle said:
Also, if you have iPhone headphones the remote works on the MacBook too.
This. Also, if you click the middle once, that's pause, and a doubleclick is 'next track'.

wolfmat said:
This. Also, if you click the middle once, that's pause, and a doubleclick is 'next track'.
Or triple click to go backwards a track, or double click, holding on the second, fastforward the track; triple click, holding on the third, rewind the track.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
travisbickle said:
Or triple click to go backwards a track, or double click, holding on the second, fastforward the track; triple click, holding on the third, rewind the track.
Also, tap SOS in morse code to call your local emergency line.

Jasoco

Banned
Echoes said:
USB, and this is incremental. I'm not sure what's causing it. Now it's 4:45 / 12.87GB. Well, I'll let it finish and then run it again and see what goes.
That would be useless. Cancel it now. If you start it up again later, there won't be anything to backup so it will go instantly. Cancel it now so it has more files to copy.

ZZMitch said:
Hey guys,

For school you will at least need Pages and Numbers, perhaps you will need Keynote at sometime. They are 19.99 each in the app store. I am relatively new to mac as well and the more i use OS X the more I loathe using a windows machine. I have given up MS Office suite because Pages and Numbers do Exactly what I need.

JonCha

I wouldn't use Office because it's infamous for crashes, even the newest version. iWork is lovely to use. I certainly wouldn't go for Office.

Ok. Well, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (I know, I know).

Ever since my mini has been losing it's connection. Still has the IP from the router, but pings fail. Swapped out cables, changed ports, still no luck. It will lose connection for 1-30 minutes, then will get it back without doing anything. Thought it was a router issue, but the other desktop and all wi-fi devices work fine.

Anyone hear of this before?

Jasoco

Banned
I have a question about Podcasts in iTunes and symlinks.

Podcasts take up a bunch of space on my HD, scratch that, my SSD. So I want to move the Podcast folder to my external HD and use a Symlink to link to it.

Now this will work fine. But I am worried that iTunes is stupid and if the drive isn't connected it will fuck something up. Either it will create a folder in my Volumes folder called "Drive name/Podcasts" and start downloading them there without me realizing.

Or is iTunes smart enough to know when the folder is missing? And somehow delay itself to not download until I reconnect the drive?

Or am I doomed to continue how I have been going, which is to manually move the file to the other drive then double-click the Podcast and choose the new location when the "Where is it?" dialog comes up?

I want to hope iTunes is smart. But am afraid it's not.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
I have a question about Podcasts in iTunes and symlinks.

Podcasts take up a bunch of space on my HD, scratch that, my SSD. So I want to move the Podcast folder to my external HD and use a Symlink to link to it.

Now this will work fine. But I am worried that iTunes is stupid and if the drive isn't connected it will fuck something up. Either it will create a folder in my Volumes folder called "Drive name/Podcasts" and start downloading them there without me realizing.

Or is iTunes smart enough to know when the folder is missing? And somehow delay itself to not download until I reconnect the drive?

Or am I doomed to continue how I have been going, which is to manually move the file to the other drive then double-click the Podcast and choose the new location when the "Where is it?" dialog comes up?

I want to hope iTunes is smart. But am afraid it's not.
I recall seeing an Applescript to manage the options for podcast scheduled downloading, i think... or you could use an app like Hazel to move the files automatically for you...

I wouldn't use symlink for this. I'd follow this iLounge guide to transfer your iTunes library:

Using an External Hard Drive and a Portable Computer

Once you have consolidated your library content onto an external hard drive, iTunes will continue to use that location for any newly imported or downloaded content, subject to your iTunes preference settings.

However, this creates an additional consideration for users of portable computers, since the external hard drive may not always be available. Fortunately, iTunes actually works around this quite well, so there’s no need to pack up the external hard drive when going out with your laptop.

Basically, when you start iTunes with your external drive disconnected, the iTunes Media folder path will temporarily revert to its default location on your local hard drive. This allows iTunes to run properly, although obviously you will not have access to any of the content that’s not already in that location. You will get broken links to any files that you try to access, since the external hard drive is not present. No need to worry, however, as this will correct itself once the drive is available again.

However, this does allow you to download new content (ie, import CDs, add files to your library, download podcast episodes, purchase content from the iTunes Store, etc). This new content will be saved in your local iTunes Media folder, and will be playable from there.

You can even sync your iPod (or iPhone) to your library in this state. “Missing” tracks (those with the exclamation marks beside them) will remain on the iPod, since they are still listed in the library. You obviously won’t be able to add content to your iPod that isn’t already there, but you could certainly sync any new content you’ve added while disconnected, since those files do exist on your laptop computer. Further, even ratings and playcounts will be updated in the iTunes library during an automatic sync.

This can be a useful way to import a few tracks off a new CD when you’re away from home and get them loaded onto your iPod without having to wait until you get home or having to resort to switching your iPod to manual mode.

Once you do return back home and plug the external hard drive back in, you simply need to restart iTunes and it will detect that its proper iTunes Media folder has returned, and go back to using that as its iTunes Media folder path. Any content you’ve downloaded or imported while you were away from the main library storage area can be transferred over simply by running the “Consolidate Files” option to copy those files over.

The way that iTunes handles this provides a very effective way to maintain a large iTunes library that is somewhat usable on the go without having to keep it all on your laptop’s internal hard drive.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
When you use a symlink, as soon as your HDD's not connected, your symlink is invalid, and any file operations will lead to errors. You might not be notified though, seeing as iTunes might handle that error by creating an alternative folder, sure. iTunes handles such situations with ease (for example, if you mv the Podcasts/ folder, iTunes doesn't mind, it just updates the path).

Anyway, what iTunes does when the symlink to your Podcasts/ folder is invalid is easy to find out — just test it!

If iTunes really just creates a new folder instead of saying "Sorry, folder not present", you'll have to manually mv the new stuff iTunes downloaded while your external drive was absent once you plug your HDD in again. Or write a bash script for that that first mounts and then copies the content if the symlink is valid after mounting or something. Although there are some pitfalls.

Can't you just move stuff manually when you feel like it? I mean, once you've moved your current collection, you've got a lot of free place, and when you're out of that again, you know what to do. It's really the easiest way of doing things.

Top Bottom