• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
You should be able to, but I prefer to have a bootable clone of my old OS data connected when I install Lion, then I would reformat and install and use the migration utility to properly import all my stuff back in. But Time Machine supposedly should work too. Basically the same way providing you tell it to backup everything and not just certain things.

guest1321

cacophony said:
I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple weeks now and I just want to say that this is the greatest keyboard ever
Have you tried going back to typing on another keyboard yet? Frustrating as hell. I felt like an ameteur

hirokazu

Vilix said:
I was surfing around using Safari and got a box asking me to download MacDefender. Didn't have the option to close the box so I just closed Safari entirely. Just downloaded Snow Leopard 2011-03, but nothing came up after it told me it successfully downloaded. So, I guess everything's cool.
I'm pretty sure the pop-up window is a fake and it's actually just part of the page rendering, that's why you can't close it. Close the tab it's on, and it should be good (but yeah, closing the entire browser works too.)

But I'm curious what site it came up on because I've never encountered this MacDefender thing.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Those of you using Safari, make sure to uncheck "open safe files after downloading" in the preference menu. That is how the trojan automatically installs itself. Otherwise, it just downloads without installing, and you just delete the file.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
quadriplegicjon said:
Those of you using Safari, make sure to uncheck "open safe files after downloading" in the preference menu. That is how the trojan automatically installs itself. Otherwise, it just downloads without installing, and you just delete the file.
Where can I do this, Quad?

cacophony said:
I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple weeks now and I just want to say that this is the greatest keyboard ever
Which is what makes it annoying that I have to put a skin on it now. Well, I guess that's the price I pay for being careless and spilling water on my previous keyboard...

VNZ

JonCha said:
Chrome is literally flawless.
Not exactly.

However, its speed and unified URL/search-field is enough for me to use it over Safari. I do miss some things though, like the superior printing and PDF handling, as well as the OS X integrated context menu.

Jasoco said:
You should be able to, but I prefer to have a bootable clone of my old OS data connected when I install Lion, then I would reformat and install and use the migration utility to properly import all my stuff back in. But Time Machine supposedly should work too. Basically the same way providing you tell it to backup everything and not just certain things.

Seems like I will do the same, I think SuperDuper does this right??

LCfiner

VNZ said:
Not exactly.

However, its speed and unified URL/search-field is enough for me to use it over Safari. I do miss some things though, like the superior printing and PDF handling, as well as the OS X integrated context menu.

that's a good article. I made the switch to Chrome fulltime a little while back once the 1password extension came out. I like how Safari is a better OS X citizen but Chrome's unified address bar, syncing data across multiple computers and (finally) better gif support makes me stick with it.

I wonder if I'll switch back to safari once Lion hits...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've never understood Safari as a browser. It's always felt really clunky and slow to me.

Jasoco

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Seems like I will do the same, I think SuperDuper does this right??
SuperDuper does it, but I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner.

Jtwo said:
I've never understood Safari as a browser. It's always felt really clunky and slow to me.
What exactly do you understand it as?

equil

I just recently got one of the new 13 in macbook pros. I havent really used it much other than surfing the internet and using itunes. But recently ive been getting this message popup saying something like "You must restart your computer" by holding the power button.

It pops up in the middle of the screen in like 4 different languages. It's happened twice in the past 2 days. Anyone know whats up? Or what i should do about it?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
welcome to OSX's blue screen of death.

have you installed any odd software? are you using an iPhone 4 to tether internet to your computer?

equil

scorcho said:
welcome to OSX's blue screen of death.

have you installed any odd software? are you using an iPhone 4 to tether internet to your computer?

Yea, im using a iphone 4 to tether. Is that bad? lol

scorcho

equil said:
Yea, im using a iphone 4 to tether. Is that bad? lol
yep - the 64-bit kernel will crash at a moment's notice when tethering with your iphone. reboot your computer while holding down 3 and 2 to boot to the 32-bit kernel. you have to do this each time you boot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773

kernel panics (crashes) will be gone. welcome to our stable OSX platform!

guest1321

scorcho said:
yep - the 64-bit kernel will crash at a moment's notice when tethering with your iphone. reboot your computer while holding down 3 and 2 to boot to the 32-bit kernel. you have to do this each time you boot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773

kernel panics (crashes) will be gone. welcome to our stable OSX platform!

Doesn't snow leopard default to booting into a 32-bit mode, and if you want it to go into 64 you can hold the buttons down or issue a terminal command to make it permanent?

EDIT: Just looked at the link. What would be the reason for changing the default boot kernel just on a new hardware. If i'm not mistaken the reason for it not defaulting to 64-bit was because a lack of application support. If they felt that most applications would be fine with 64 wouldn't it make sense to spread that default across the entire product line?

scorcho

2011 machines boot by default to the 64-bit kernel, which is why the problem wasn't seen earlier. still no excuse for Apple not to have addressed the issue since.

dmshaposv

My 2011 MBP, got in April, is down to 98% battery life...is it normal for battery capacity to fall down this quickly? :/ (according to istat and coconut battery)

I'm getting 4 hrs on this thing with just wifi browsing/low brightness/no backlight/zero BG services.

For reference sake I did a lot of video editing in the past month on final cut.

Jasoco

Banned
I set my 2010 MBP to boot into 64-bit mode permanently and haven't had any problems that I've noticed yet. I don't have an iPhone to tether though. Weird that that would cause a problem. Hopefully Lion fixes it.

scorcho

dmshaposv said:
My 2011 MBP, got in April, is down to 98% battery life...is it normal for battery capacity to fall down this quickly? :/ (according to istat and coconut battery)

I'm getting 4 hrs on this thing with just wifi browsing/low brightness/no backlight/zero BG services.

For reference sake I did a lot of video editing in the past month on final cut.
yep. i'm already down to 96% capacity, but keep in mind the number may be erroneous because the calibration can go wonky after repeated charging and discharging.

if you're getting low numbers while web browsing, it's probably because your machine is defaulting to the discrete graphics and not integrated, which sucks more juice. download gfxCardStatus (google it) and switch it to integrated when you're browsing. you should see 6+ hours of browsing soon.

@jasoco - that is the only bug i've seen when using the 64-bit kernel, which is quite remarkable otherwise. Apple's done a good job overall, just wish they'd clean a very obvious and noted bug that has been reported on their forums quicker.

Jasoco

Banned
I've had my MBP for a year and I'm down to about 92%. No big deal for me. I don't use it without a cable as often as most people, and by the time the battery gets to 80% I'll have moved onto my next MacBook. I rarely keep a laptop long enough for its battery to completely run dry.

Anyway, I asked a few days ago, but never got an answer. Anyone know if I can move my Developer folder to a different partition? I can't find my Snow Leopard disc right now to reinstall, and while I rarely use them, (Which is why I want to move them) I want to move them off my main SSD. I just need to make sure the OS doesn't somehow become dependent on them once they're installed. I can't see how or why it would and it's probably completely safe to move them, but if not, I need to know if I should just hunt down my SL disc and reinstall correctly.

I hope Lion comes with the Dev tools too and it's not an extra purchase. That would be a disappointment.

Jasoco

Banned
scorcho said:
@Jasoco - i don't see why you can't move it to a different partition and use a symbolic link to make sure the OS still sees it in the 'original' location.

junecloud has a great automator for creating symbolic links w/o using Terminal - http://junecloud.com/software/mac/junecloud-automator-actions.html
Oh, I already know how to make symlinks. I do it all the time. The problem is this drive is not always connected. So even if I hardlink the Dev tools folder, if the OS NEEDS it, it won't find it.

I'm going to try it. It's 11GB of stuff I rarely use. Hopefully the OS doesn't give a shit. Really the last time I used it was to use one of the terminal tools (setfile) it has to make a folder hidden.

It'd also be 170,000 files CCC won't need to count when it does its tri-hourly backups anymore.

cacophony

This is the most ridiculously advanced mousepad ever. I'm learning new shortcuts every day. The three finger forward/back is the most convenient thing ever.

dream

cacophony said:
This is the most ridiculously advanced mousepad ever. I'm learning new shortcuts every day. The three finger forward/back is the most convenient thing ever.

I can't wait till you discover utilities that let you customize gestures.

equil

cacophony said:

I just recently realized you could two finger click for right click. Ive been using cntrl click for the longest time lol.

JonCha

equil said:
I just recently realized you could two finger click for right click. Ive been using cntrl click for the longest time lol.

And people have the tenacity to say that you can't right click.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dear experienced OS X users.
How do I get that mini-audio player on my desktop? The one that displays the "Now Playing" tracks. I don't want to have to go into iTunes every time I want to pause or change a track.

Veidt said:
Dear experienced OS X users.
How do I get that mini-audio player on my desktop? The one that displays the "Now Playing" tracks. I don't want to have to go into iTunes every time I want to pause or change a track.
Bowtie perhaps? It's awesome. You can set global shortcuts for iTunes as well.

deim0s

qwerty2k said:
Anyone recommend a good web design program? (code highlighting, css etc)

Textmate and add some bundles.

@Veidt
Try Alfred, an app launcher or as a Spotlight replacement, it has controls to fiddle with iTunes and your songs.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wow. Bowtie is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks very much!

deim0s said:
@Veidt
Try Alfred, an app launcher or as a Spotlight replacement, it has controls to fiddle with iTunes and your songs.
That's sort of like Quicksilver, isn't it? Nice!

another question: assuming lion comes out soon, what is the best way to install? i am thinking back-up current data (via time machine), format, fresh install, restore apps and docs from time machine? is there a better way than that?

thanks

rezuth

I Big JG I said:
another question: assuming lion comes out soon, what is the best way to install? i am thinking back-up current data (via time machine), format, fresh install, restore apps and docs from time machine? is there a better way than that?

thanks
I always do an archive and install, certainly not best but easy and the OS is cleaned.

LCfiner

I Big JG I said:

thanks

yes, just update.

installers are smart and reliable. just have a backup in case, y'know, power outage or demons or whatever.

Top Bottom