• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

My girlfriend has a MacBook (the white, Core 2 Duo 2GHz kind; it's a few years old) with Tiger. She wants to be able to play games like Black & White on it. The best solution seems to be to install a Windows partition (I have a spare XP CD lying around).

However, since her MacBook has Tiger, there is apparently no Boot Camp. She doesn't want to shell out the $100 for Leopard, and I don't blame her.

What's the best way to partition and install Windows without Leopard? Should I try using the Boot Camp Beta with the change-the-date-back-to-before-expiration trick, or is there a reliable way to just do it all manually?

Jasoco

Banned
LouieGeetoo said:
My girlfriend has a MacBook (the white, Core 2 Duo 2GHz kind; it's a few years old) with Tiger. She wants to be able to play games like Black & White on it. The best solution seems to be to install a Windows partition (I have a spare XP CD lying around).

However, since her MacBook has Tiger, there is apparently no Boot Camp. She doesn't want to shell out the $100 for Leopard, and I don't blame her.

What's the best way to partition and install Windows without Leopard? Should I try using the Boot Camp Beta with the change-the-date-back-to-before-expiration trick, or is there a reliable way to just do it all manually?
You don't blame her? Why? She will be getting Snow Leopard when it comes out, right? She better be.

Just buy Leopard now and get Snow Leopard cheap as dirt in two months. There's no reason not to.

I have the same MacBook BTW. Snow Leopard is a must.

Jasoco said:
You don't blame her? Why? She will be getting Snow Leopard when it comes out, right? She better be.

Just buy Leopard now and get Snow Leopard cheap as dirt in two months. There's no reason not to.

I have the same MacBook BTW. Snow Leopard is a must.
I don't blame her because $100 is a lot of money for a college student going abroad when she's already happy with the OS she's got (besides the Boot Camp thing). I don't have anything against Leopard itself. Basically I'm looking for a way to do this without any money being spent.

Jasoco

Banned
The best $160 you will ever invest in that computer. Trust me. Save up money for the end of September. Her computer will love you for it.

LCfiner

Treo360 said:
You're paying too much for it

i think he was referring to the 160 mac box upgrade pack from tiger to snow leopard.

anyway, i don't know of anyway to get bootcamp working well without leopard, sorry.

maybe it'll be cheaper to get parallels or fusion?

anyway, i still recommend getting leopard since it's a lot better than tiger and has the boot camp addition.

Ashhong

isnt it 100 to upgrade to leopard now, and then only 10 more for snow later? why would someone pay 160 for straight tiger->snow if this is true

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
giga said:
I don't foresee any good coming out of trying to game on an integrated intel chip.
The nvidia 9400M, however, is fairly passable especially if you get the updated windows drivers for it.

LCfiner

Ashhong said:
isnt it 100 to upgrade to leopard now, and then only 10 more for snow later? why would someone pay 160 for straight tiger->snow if this is true

it also comes with the new ilife and iwork.

good deal, really. it's like getting iwork for free.

giga

BrandNew said:
I can run Crysis okay on my MBP, from last year. Not perfect, but not horrible either.
I don't think Macbook Pros have ever had an integrated intel GPU?

Hitokage said:
The nvidia 9400M, however, is fairly passable especially if you get the updated windows drivers for it.
Definitely. Love my 9400M--it runs circles around my old GMA950.

Ashhong said:
It's $10 if you buy a new Mac, not Leopard.

giga

BrandNew said:
alright maybe I'm confused then. It says I have an Intel Core 2 Duo. I don't know the difference between integrated and not integrated

edit: I'm retarded
I should have specified 'GPU', instead of saying 'chip. My apologies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is Leopard even required for Bootcamp to work? IIRC, the Bootcamp beta was released for Tiger months before Leopard even came out and the Bootcamp version in Leopard is just a glorified partition manager. The only thing she needs Leopard for is the Windows drivers, which I'm sure you can find online if you look for them or you can just grab them off a retail Leopard disc (not sure if the Leopard disc included in new mac's will work).

Have you tried installing Windows on the Macbook? It shouldn't be too hard or time consuming to see if it'll work on a Tiger Macbook. First, run software update just to make sure she has the firmware update required to run Windows; If nothing pops up she should have it (You can double check by comparing her boot rom version to this list). Second, make a FAT partition for Windows using Disk Utility (you might need to run Disk Utility off the Tiger install disc; at the start of the installation screens select Utilites -> Disk Utility from the Menu Bar). Third, insert the Windows installation disc and boot into it (turn off the Mac, hold either C or Option, turn on Mac, let go of the key when either the CD boots or the drive select screen pops up). Fourth, install Windows on the FAT partition (reformat it to NTFS if you want, but you'll lose Writing privileges in OS X if you don't install a third party NTFS driver). Finally, install the Windows bootcamp drivers you found off the internet or grabbed off a Leopard install disc.

LCfiner

Killthee said:
Is Leopard even required for Bootcamp to work? IIRC, the Bootcamp beta was released for Tiger months before Leopard even came out and the Bootcamp version in Leopard is just a glorified partition manager. The only thing she needs Leopard for is the Windows drivers, which I'm sure you can find online if you look for them or you can just grab them off a retail Leopard disc (not sure if the Leopard disc included in new mac's will work).

Have you tried installing Windows on the Macbook? It shouldn't be too hard or time consuming to see if it'll work on a Tiger Macbook. First, run software update just to make sure she has the firmware update required to run Windows; If nothing pops up she should have it (I can't remember if it was an optional install in Tiger.... : /). Second, make a FAT partition for Windows using Disk Utility (you might need to run Disk Utility off the Tiger install disc; at the start of the installation screens select Utilites -> Disk Utility from the Menu Bar). Third, insert the Windows installation disc and boot into it (turn off the Mac, hold either C or Option, turn on Mac, let go of the key when either the CD boots or the drive select screen pops up). Fourth, install Windows on the FAT partition (reformat it to NTFS if you want, but you'll lose Writing privileges in OS X if you don't install a third party NTFS driver). Finally, install the Windows bootcamp drivers you found off the internet or grabbed off a Leopard install disc.

maybe things have changed but before bootcamp beta was revealed, hackers spent tons and tons of time trying to get Windows to work on the Mac because of BIOS and EFI differences.

I can't explain what they are, but I know it wasn't easy for the hackers to do it. took months.

Killthee

LCfiner said:
maybe things have changed but before bootcamp beta was revealed, hackers spent tons and tons of time trying to get Windows to work on the Mac because of BIOS and EFI differences.

I can't explain what they are, but I know it wasn't easy for the hackers to do it. took months.
Yeah I remember that, but Leopard isn't required to run Windows. What is required is that EFI firmware update that added the BIOS compatibility mode that Apple released days after the xom hack was released. The Tiger Macbook should have that firmware update if she has used Software Update anytime in the past three years. The only thing he'll need Leopard
or google
for is for the Bootcamp driver's included on the disc.

Killthee said:
Yeah I remember that, but Leopard isn't required to run Windows. What is required is that EFI firmware update that added the BIOS compatibility mode that Apple released days after the xom hack was released. The Tiger Macbook should have that firmware update if she has used Software Update anytime in the past three years. The only thing he'll need Leopard
or google
If I can't convince her that Leopard is worth it, then maybe I'll try the method you've suggested. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

I'm going to try doing it manually as you suggested. I found the drivers online. In case it's useful for anyone else, they're at here on the right side under "Software Updates." There are separate driver packages for XP, Vista 32-bit, and Vista 64-bit.

One thing I'm worried about, though: After installing it manually, what will the boot process be like? Will there be a boot menu or what?

LCfiner

Killthee said:
or google

ah, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that the separate firmware update allowed for BIOS compatibility. I thought that only the bootcamp installer added that.

Jasoco

Banned
$159 to upgrade from Tiger, Jaguar, Panther, etc to Snow Leopard
$129 to upgrade from Tiger, Jaguar, Panther, etc to Leopard
$29 to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard

You can buy Leopard now, then buy the Snow Leopard later and save a dollar if you want.

Or wait for Snow Leopard and buy the full upgrade for Tiger.

Or you can buy a new Mac and get Snow Leopard for $10... after spending $1000+ for a new Mac. (For the people who were considering a new Mac anyway.)

Those are the options.

Not counting any student discounts or bundles. Also, the family pack option which is also reasonably priced if you have two or more Macs. (I think $199 for full, $59 for upgrade) Then whatever iLife bundle they do.

Hope that clears it all up.

Apple has never done anything like this. The improvements to Snow Leopard over Leopard are more than people make you think and are well worth a full upgrade price of $130. To think they're only charging $30 for a Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade is amazing and a first for Apple. Before WWDC, I was fully prepared to put down a full $130 for Snow Leopard. Finding out that I could cut $100 off that price was an amazing feeling.

Snow Leopard will be a must buy for any Mac user with an Intel Mac. The optimizations, streamlining, bug fixes, as well as all the stuff Leopard had, the speed improvements. You'd be crazy to not put a side a few bucks a week to buy it when it comes out.

Jasoco said:
$159 to upgrade from Tiger, Jaguar, Panther, etc to Snow Leopard
$129 to upgrade from Tiger, Jaguar, Panther, etc to Leopard
$29 to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard

You can buy Leopard now, then buy the Snow Leopard later and save a dollar if you want.

Or wait for Snow Leopard and buy the full upgrade for Tiger.

Or you can buy a new Mac and get Snow Leopard for $10... after spending $1000+ for a new Mac. (For the people who were considering a new Mac anyway.)

Those are the options.

Not counting any student discounts or bundles. Also, the family pack option which is also reasonably priced if you have two or more Macs. (I think $199 for full, $59 for upgrade) Then whatever iLife bundle they do.

Hope that clears it all up.

Apple has never done anything like this. The improvements to Snow Leopard over Leopard are more than people make you think and are well worth a full upgrade price of $130. To think they're only charging $30 for a Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade is amazing and a first for Apple. Before WWDC, I was fully prepared to put down a full $130 for Snow Leopard. Finding out that I could cut $100 off that price was an amazing feeling.

Snow Leopard will be a must buy for any Mac user with an Intel Mac. The optimizations, streamlining, bug fixes, as well as all the stuff Leopard had, the speed improvements. You'd be crazy to not put a side a few bucks a week to buy it when it comes out.

oh really how do I pay $10 bucks for it? I just got my macbook so how does that work?

I feel dirty using IE on bootcamp to ask this for some reason this thing is faster on GAF loading than Safari on OS X something wrong with my mac I'm using Windows 7 far too much HURRY UP WITH THE SNOW CAT :(

Smiles and Cries said:
oh really how do I pay $10 bucks for it? I just got my macbook so how does that work?

I feel dirty using IE on bootcamp to ask this for some reason this thing is faster on GAF loading than Safari on OS X something wrong with my mac I'm using Windows 7 far too much HURRY UP WITH THE SNOW CAT :(
Safari 4 on Leopard doesn't handle gifs well. That's all. Just don't look at gif threads.

Killthee

Smiles and Cries said:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Smiles and Cries said:
I was the same way with Tiger and Vista screaming for Leopard to hurry up :lol

Maximus.

hey guys kinda off topic, ive had my macbook pro for almost a year and i just plugged in my macbook into the wall. the wall adapter is making a weird buzzing sound, i never noticed this before. is this normal? i tried other sockets and it still happened. i googled this and didnt really find any definitive answers...

Edit: i just redid my room config. so i have my adapter basically right beside my mac, usually i have it on the floor and wen i bring it to school i never really notice any sounds..

mrkgoo

Fraull said:
hey guys kinda off topic, ive had my macbook pro for almost a year and i just plugged in my macbook into the wall. the wall adapter is making a weird buzzing sound, i never noticed this before. is this normal? i tried other sockets and it still happened. i googled this and didnt really find any definitive answers...

Edit: i just redid my room config. so i have my adapter basically right beside my mac, usually i have it on the floor and wen i bring it to school i never really notice any sounds..

How loud? If it's really quiet, like you have to be in a silent room, I think that can be normal - variation between power adaptors. I had one slightly buzzing, so I returned it under warranty. Apple didn't even look at it and just gave me a new one. It buzzes too :lol

But if in doubt go see Apple.

Maximus.

mrkgoo said:
How loud? If it's really quiet, like you have to be in a silent room, I think that can be normal - variation between power adaptors. I had one slightly buzzing, so I returned it under warranty. Apple didn't even look at it and just gave me a new one. It buzzes too :lol

But if in doubt go see Apple.

its not really noticeable, my room was just really quiet and it was literally right beside my macbook, i put it on the floor and i dont even notice it, i guess it was the first time i was in a really silent situation upclose with it, haha i was worried at first, but im sure its fine :).

Aegus

Hi guys,

Got a little problem with iPhoto and photo feeds. Basically it's not downloading the high resolution versions of photos and is instead grabbing the thumnbails.

Am I being stupid and missing something blatantly obvious?

koam

Aegus said:
Hi guys,

Got a little problem with iPhoto and photo feeds. Basically it's not downloading the high resolution versions of photos and is instead grabbing the thumnbails.

Am I being stupid and missing something blatantly obvious?

What happen when you double click the thumbnails?

Aegus

koam said:
iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Copy Items to iPhoto Library

It's already ticked on. It's really strange as one of the feeds (NASA) managed to get a high res version of the photo, but everything is just thumbnails.

Aegus

Well I'm pretty much copying and pasting the rss feed links given, so I don't think the links themselves would be dishing out thumbnail sized images... maybe.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Safari 4 on Leopard doesn't handle gifs well. That's all. Just don't look at gif threads.
So what you're saying is to not browse GAF.

Xeke

Banned
I'm 100% positive that I was able to download Boot Camp on my Tiger Macbook before leopard even came out...

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Xeke said:
I'm 100% positive that I was able to download Boot Camp on my Tiger Macbook before leopard even came out...
Yeah I think that was when it was in beta. When Leopard launched, support for it was native and the beta versions were expired, if I remember.

Jasoco

Banned
movie_club said:
whats a program similar to bowtie?
I prefer Bowtie because its "widgets" can be made by anyone with knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. So it can look like anything you can design. And it uses little memory. And is free.

It is a little buggy though and the author is taking his sweet time releasing a third Beta that fixes all our complaints because he'd rather work on a(nother) damned OS X theming application that may or may not work when Snow Leopard is finalized. I just want my third beta. :( Then you can go back to working on your precious Facade app.

Koodo

Banned
So, for those us with Leopard already, how will the upgrading process work? Is it online only, or can it be purchased through a store?

And I'm assuming, given the price (someone said $30?), that it can only be installed on one computer, right?

Where are you people getting all this information from, anyway? I'm so out of the loop lately. ;3

Koodo said:
So, for those us with Leopard already, how will the upgrading process work? Is it online only, or can it be purchased through a store?

And I'm assuming, given the price (someone said $30?), that it can only be installed on one computer, right?

Where are you people getting all this information from, anyway? I'm so out of the loop lately. ;3
http://www.apple.com

Jasoco

Banned
$30 to get an upgrade that will supposedly only install if 10.5 or greater is already on the HD.

$60 for a family license. (Which is 2 - 5 computers which is a hell of a deal for anything over 2.)

The way I see it, the upgrade will check the HD for Leopard or Snow Leopard already existing (In case you have to reinstall, would be better than having to install 10.5 again then reinstall 10.6) before it works. If it's 10.4 or less it will fail to install most likely.

Koodo

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I went there! But the "Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard" section is so uninformative. 3;

Jasoco said:
$30 to get an upgrade that will supposedly only install if 10.5 or greater is already on the HD.

$60 for a family license. (Which is 2 - 5 computers which is a hell of a deal for anything over 2.)

The way I see it, the upgrade will check the HD for Leopard or Snow Leopard already existing (In case you have to reinstall, would be better than having to install 10.5 again then reinstall 10.6) before it works. If it's 10.4 or less it will fail to install most likely.
Oh my, 60$ for a family license is perfect. I wasn't planning on buying this day 1 because I thought it would carry a higher price tag, but now it's too tempting.

im in the market for a new mouse for an imac and figured this is the best place to ask instead of making a new thread. Basically, is there anything I need to worry about as far as Mac compatibility or will most be fairly simple plug in and go? The mouse i was actually looking at is oddly enough a Microsoft mouse (bluetrak 3000) but I just want to be sure there shouldn't be any problems?

LCfiner

Koodo said:
I went there! But the "Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard" section is so uninformative. 3;

Oh my, 60$ for a family license is perfect. I wasn't planning on buying this day 1 because I thought it would carry a higher price tag, but now it's too tempting.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

How to get Mac OS X
Snow Leopard.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard will be available in September 2009. Here’s how to get it.

With every new Mac.

When it’s released, every new Mac computer will come with Mac OS X Snow Leopard already installed. You won’t need to do anything.

Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for $9.95.
Learn more

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard when it’s available and follow the simple installation instructions.
Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ’09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ’09, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

really?

Vyer

Ninja Scooter said:
im in the market for a new mouse for an imac and figured this is the best place to ask instead of making a new thread. Basically, is there anything I need to worry about as far as Mac compatibility or will most be fairly simple plug in and go? The mouse i was actually looking at is oddly enough a Microsoft mouse (bluetrak 3000) but I just want to be sure there shouldn't be any problems?

There shouldn't be, though you may want to google the model just in case.

Top Bottom