• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I use iTunes and iPhoto to manage all my media. I didn't really notice it happening as I slowly migrated everything to those two applications but it is much easier to keep track of everything and it's easy to back up to something other than Time Machine and sync to my iPhone. I wish iPhoto had a few more photo editing features but it's not a deal breaker for me... there's always Photoshop I suppose.

I love my Mac but I can't seem to find a browser I really like. I loved the Safari Beta but the final version they released has a few little quirks that annoy me. I absolutely HATE FireFox - it's the only application to ever crash my Mac and I loathe it with a passion; I could tolerate Camino which is based on the Mozilla engine but that hasn't been updated in what seems like years now.

Are there any other browsers out there for Mac that are customizable and can handle things like GIF images and Flash with ease? Chrome would be a nice alternative as I am already used to it on Windows 7 but Google seems intent on never releasing a Mac version.

onesvenus

Is there any way to save your session when you shut down your computer??
Something like linux where you can let two or three programs started, save your session, shut down and when you reboot the programs you left open are there.
Another thing, does anybody know if hibernate consumes a lot of battery? I've found sometimes that I hibernate my computer, go walk for some time and when I return the battery is almost empty. Shouldn't that be like closing it?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
B!TCH said:
I use iTunes and iPhoto to manage all my media. I didn't really notice it happening as I slowly migrated everything to those two applications but it is much easier to keep track of everything and it's easy to back up to something other than Time Machine and sync to my iPhone. I wish iPhoto had a few more photo editing features but it's not a deal breaker for me... there's always Photoshop I suppose.

I love my Mac but I can't seem to find a browser I really like. I loved the Safari Beta but the final version they released has a few little quirks that annoy me. I absolutely HATE FireFox - it's the only application to ever crash my Mac and I loathe it with a passion; I could tolerate Camino which is based on the Mozilla engine but that hasn't been updated in what seems like years now.

Are there any other browsers out there for Mac that are customizable and can handle things like GIF images and Flash with ease? Chrome would be a nice alternative as I am already used to it on Windows 7 but Google seems intent on never releasing a Mac version.

427ee

You sure? ;)

As for browsers, I dunno. Gifs aside, I love Safari. I'm with you, I dislike FF. I used Camino a long time, but Safari 4 beta made me switch. I wish top tabs were still in, though. I also wish, and this is the only non-gif related issue I have, I didn't have to fucking restart with every update to it. Webkit updates just fine. Blah.

You may wanna give Opera a whirl? Only other major option I could think of, or just wait for Camino 2.

hiro4

B!TCH said:

Personally I love Safari 4. It is a bit of a change from 3, but you can change a lot of settings that make it more like 3.
Though I can understand you reluctance to use it.

As above: try Opera.
I use it as my standard browser and it handles a lot of things. It can be slow sometimes, but not as slow as FF.
Actually I have Opera, Safari 4 and FF installed on my mac, since sometimes there are sites that only work on FF. And I love the activity monitor on Safari 4.
But as a main browser I use Opera.

Flek

Banned
peppermints said:
So I've been a Mac user for over two years now. But I feel like I'm doing things wrong. I know there's no right way to use a computer's interface, but I recently formatted and did a clean install of Leopard (feels really nice and fresh to start over).

I noticed that the default window sizes for both Safari and Firefox are quite small. Ever since I first got my Macbook, I have had this setup:

Picture2.png

Firefox taking up most of the screen, Adium buddy list on the left corner. Everything else I'm using just kind of hides out behind Firefox and I use Expose to get to it when I need it. This is fine if it's just something like iTunes, but if I have multiple things I'm working it can get cumbersome.

Like I said earlier, I feel like this is very unconventional and going against the "document" based aspect of the GUI.

Anyone else care to post their setups for ideas/tips?

uho iam browsing on fullscreen .. love it ... dock is hiding away so fullscreen = perfect :)

Flek

Banned
Ashhong said:
nuh uh! fullscreen is still like 3 pixels away from the bottom =P

yeha but you cant go there anyway without having the dock popup :D

btw just bought a apple care protection plan for my macbook pro ... fucking expensive :/

Flek

Banned
Ashhong said:
true, it just bugs me sometimes when i see that space :lol

haha i just tried moving the window a bit up than stretching it longer but as soon as you move it down it pops back to those 3pixel free space at the bottom .. :lol

GAF, what Twitter client are you using? I'm currently using Tweetie, and it's currently my favorite, but I don't like that I have to have the icon in the Dock AND an icon in the menu bar. I'd rather have an icon in the menu bar, and nothing in the Dock.

I've tried Twitterific, Event Box, and one of the Adobe AIR apps, and there was something about each of them that was lacking. Any recommendations?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I was gonna wait it out until Safari fixed the GIF issue but I'm sick of FF's memory leaks, Camino's just seems like they haven't been keeping it current, and if I'm gonna use Chrome, I might as well use Safari.

Any add ons for tab saving/restoration?

LCfiner

Phobophile said:
I was gonna wait it out until Safari fixed the GIF issue but I'm sick of FF's memory leaks, Camino's just seems like they haven't been keeping it current, and if I'm gonna use Chrome, I might as well use Safari.

Any add ons for tab saving/restoration?

glims does nearly everything. give it a shot. you can disable or enable a bunch of different enhancements.

What do you use Songbird for? I have a few ogg files but I rarely use the app anymore. Certainly not enough to keep it in my dock.

What skin is that for Adium? I wish the whole OS could be themed to look like that.

That spaces setup looks pretty useful. Growl alerts show up in every space, right?

You know you're right, I've only ever used Songbird for flac files, and that's hardly ever. Tweetie is just a dock icon when it starts, so I think I'll make that automatic and take Songbird off.

The themes I use for Adium are the following:

Color: simlpestatuslist

List Layout: Overture 1928

Window Style: Contact Bubbles (opacity at 0%)

Width is 243px.

And yup, Growl comes up in each Space! :D

I just can't get used to having the dock on the left. It feels so.. odd.

BrandNew, what is the Bowtie theme you're using? I quite like it.

I always had it on the bottom, but I figured I'd give it a shot like this. I quite like it.

The Bowtie theme is called True Vinyl Wood, just google it and it should be one of the first results at MacThemes. Once you download it, right click it and go to show package contents. It comes with a dumb Domo-Kun doll that sits on the shelf, so just delete that from the package contents to get rid of it. If you want to have a picture on there as well, replace the photo.jpg in the package contents with something else, like my Dylan picture. Do all of this BEFORE you install the theme.

Anso

SnakeXs said:
427ee

You sure? ;)

As for browsers, I dunno. Gifs aside, I love Safari. I'm with you, I dislike FF. I used Camino a long time, but Safari 4 beta made me switch. I wish top tabs were still in, though. I also wish, and this is the only non-gif related issue I have, I didn't have to fucking restart with every update to it. Webkit updates just fine. Blah.

You may wanna give Opera a whirl? Only other major option I could think of, or just wait for Camino 2.

Would NOT mind Chrome released soon :3~

Also, nice to see Quicksilver. Everyone should really get this and get it now.

Anso

BrandNew said:
Eh, I tried Quicksilver out and I really didn't need it, or ever use it. Spotlight works perfectly for me.

Me too at first. Then I tried using it some more, customized some iTunes triggers, learned the comma trick and realized it kicks finder's ass at navigating folders.

Jasoco

Banned
Flek said:
haha i just tried moving the window a bit up than stretching it longer but as soon as you move it down it pops back to those 3pixel free space at the bottom .. :lol
It's more like 4 pixels, and they disappear if you place the Dock on one of the sides instead. Except that now you get 4 pixels on the side so...

I prefer to keep my Dock visible (I even did it with the Taskbar in my Windows days) because as I mentioned, I don't like not being able to see something for fear that I might be forgetting about it.

SnakeXs said:
427ee

You sure? ;)

downloading Chrome must check this out... I liked it in Windows 7

Alright. Candybar users, help!

edit: whoop,s accidentally hit submit reply

anyhoo, I've been using various Buuf icon sets for my icons, but I think I'd like to make a change. Any advice on good iContainers or icon sets for Candybar? Any recs on where to go for good sets?

LCfiner

BrandNew said:
Alright. Candybar users, help!

edit: whoop,s accidentally hit submit reply

anyhoo, I've been using various Buuf icon sets for my icons, but I think I'd like to make a change. Any advice on good iContainers or icon sets for Candybar? Any recs on where to go for good sets?

iconfactory is the first place i would go. lots of stuff under freeware. most full sets come with custom docks, too.

XMonkey said:
Do you do lots of 3D design, video editing/production, or photo editing with very high resolution files? If not, you definitely don't need 8GB of RAM.

Sorry for responding so late, but I do not currently do any design work, although I have two friends that are in graphic arts and I have just about four friends/family members that are into production with Logic, Reason, and Pro Tools; they will probably be the ones that will use it most. I might also make a track or two.

Charred Greyface said:
I don't know, if 8 GB makes launching Parallels/Fusion apps a seamless experience it might be worth it just for that.

What are Parallels/Fusions? Was it already discussed in the thread? If so I'll just search the thread.

Anso

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Sorry for responding so late, but I do not currently do any design work, although I have two friends that are in graphic arts and I have just about four friends/family members that are into production with Logic, Reason, and Pro Tools. I might also make a track or two.

I get paid for making music with a MacBook Pro 17" first gen. That's 2GB RAM and 2.33 Core 2 Duo. Fancy, eh?

Anso said:
I get paid for making music with a MacBook Pro 17" first gen. That's 2GB RAM and 2.33 Core 2 Duo. Fancy, eh?

Lol, ok, I get your point. Which music programs do you use for your Pro if you don't mind asking? I have a little knowledge on all three that I posted but not anywhere in depth to produce intersesting sounds. Any intel is welcome.

LCfiner said:
iconfactory is the first place i would go. lots of stuff under freeware. most full sets come with custom docks, too.

Eh, yeah they have some okay ones. A lot of them are very small though. I wish someone would make an entire system and application iContainer.

freshair

Sort of related to OSX, but more so Macbooks. So all owners of MB/MBP know that the bottom gets WAY too hot to use on your lap for a long period of time.

Can anyone recommend a lap "guard" /stand that will dissipate the heat and not make my knees feel like they're being burned? :lol

Anso

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Lol, ok, I get your point. Which music programs do you use for your Pro if you don't mind asking? I have a little knowledge on all three that I posted but not anywhere in depth to produce intersesting sounds. Any intel is welcome.

Reason 4 is my main app. Mainly because I'm Swedish and get great support from Propellerheads and that, as a keyboard player and synth-freak, it helps me work really fast. I've also got legal copies of Logic Studio, Ableton Live 7, ProTools LE 7.4 and Sibelius 5. All work without any issues. For audio editing I use Audacity and Soundtrack Pro (included in Logic Studio) but I must admit, I don't do anything advanced here since I don't do in-game sound fx.

I've beta-tested Propellerhead's Record for a month or two and I will use the Record+Reason combo as my main workhorse as soon as it's released. If you don't know what I'm talking about; http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/ . If you have Reason install and run Record you basically get everything from Reason PLUS everything from Record in the same app. Can't wait to mix my tracks in that SSL 9000k console and finally record some real instruments without having to leave my comfortable environment :3~

I use quite a lot of samples in Reason but I've never had any issues with CPU/RAM because of this. I also ReWire (INVISIBLE CABLES :O) Reason into Live/Logic for plugins/whatever and that's solid as a rock too. Used ReWire for audio before (Reason doesn't support recording or working with audio) but with Record I use it less and less.

Obviously it can't HURT to have more RAM but it's dumb if you aren't gonna use it. I'll probably upgrade to 4GB when I get some of those I-eat-your-computer-for-breakfast sample sets from EastWest Quantum Leap. Apparently everyone making music for video games professionally must have these or they get laughed at by all the other composers.

Blackhead

Redarse
freshair said:
Sort of related to OSX, but more so Macbooks. So all owners of MB/MBP know that the bottom gets WAY too hot to use on your lap for a long period of time.

Can anyone recommend a lap "guard" /stand that will dissipate the heat and not make my knees feel like they're being burned? :lol
I use a Thermapak but am thinking of switiching to an iLap

I asked this before but I cannot find the page where it was answered... how do I target disk at start up

I want to migrate my old files from my old broken powerbook the screen is broken so even if I turn it on I cannot see anything to use it.

my new macbook pro did not come with firewire cable so it took me a few weeks to get one

So what do I need to do to migrate my old files?

powerbook is not useable so I only need the files to be migrated over to the new mac

do I hold T or something when I turn on the old book?

Jasoco

Banned
As long as both computers have FireWire and you have the right cable plug them in together.

While the new machine is on, turn on the old machine while holding T until you see its HD show up on your new machine's Desktop. (Or wherever you keep your mounted disk list.)

Since you can't see the screen of the old machine, you won't know when it has gone into Target mode by waiting for the FireWire logo, so just wait to see the HD show up on the new machine.

If it doesn't show up, then there is another problem. In that case you'll have to take the HD out of the old machine and place it in a case. But that's another story.

Jasoco said:
As long as both computers have FireWire and you have the right cable plug them in together.

While the new machine is on, turn on the old machine while holding T until you see its HD show up on your new machine's Desktop. (Or wherever you keep your mounted disk list.)

Since you can't see the screen of the old machine, you won't know when it has gone into Target mode by waiting for the FireWire logo, so just wait to see the HD show up on the new machine.

If it doesn't show up, then there is another problem. In that case you'll have to take the HD out of the old machine and place it in a case. But that's another story.

:( its not showing up and the screen is too bad to see anything

Jasoco

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
:( its not showing up and the screen is too bad to see anything
Are you sure the HD is still working?

If so, seeing as the old machine is dead anyway, take the HD out through whatever means you can. Since it's a PowerBook, the method varies. Look up a how to on the internet for your specific model.

Once you get it out, you will need to find some device to turn it into an external HD. PowerBook's used ATA, didn't they? I dunno. I know they use the newer smaller connector in MacBook's, but PowerBooks used the older style ribbon connectors.

I recommend the NewerTech USB 2.0 Univeral Drive Adapter.

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

It provides connections for many popular HD types and came in handy many times for me. It is well worth the $35 it cost me as you will probably end up using it a few times.

If you don't like puzzles, there are alternatives out there that don't require assembly each time.

I remember figuring this out like half a year ago, but I forget now since I installed Windows 7 again via Bootcamp.

How do I rename the Windows partition to something that isn't "Untitled?"

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
BrandNew said:
I remember figuring this out like half a year ago, but I forget now since I installed Windows 7 again via Bootcamp.

Tried changing it in Disk Utility?

Enzom21

BrandNew said:

You change it in Windows.

LCfiner

might as well post this here.

Netnewswire, the premiere RSS application on the Mac has a new v3.2 beta that syncs with Google Reader, instead of the newsgator service.

boom.

the beta of the new version is available here

http://nnwbeta.com/

I've already set it up and it works great. this allows for me to use the better google reader web page on my work computer (instead of the "meh" newsgator webpage) and still get the topnotch netnewswire UI at home, with full syncing.

plus, you can now use the iphone google reader apps like byline, gazette or the google webapp to keep everything in sync instead of being limited to the netnewswire app.

the netnewswire iphone app will be updated soon with google reader support.

so, there ya go. the first native client on the Mac to offer google reader support and syncing.

LCfiner

giga said:

yeah, that kinda sucks. ads from The Deck in the lower left spot. at least it's not inline with the feeds but it's still disappointing.

of course, the app used to cost around 30 bucks before newsgator made it free abut a year or two ago... guess they decided to put the ads up since they abandoned their own feed syncing service. :|

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Path Finder was updated to 5.1.4 today and he added one of my suggestions to the App:

20090731-e9d5i7bshqcsaecmju8ytwfjh2.jpg

I love that feature in Vista's Explorer and now I have it in Path Finder :D

Juice

LCfiner said:
might as well post this here.

Netnewswire, the premiere RSS application on the Mac has a new v3.2 beta that syncs with Google Reader, instead of the newsgator service.

boom.

the beta of the new version is available here

http://nnwbeta.com/

I've already set it up and it works great. this allows for me to use the better google reader web page on my work computer (instead of the "meh" newsgator webpage) and still get the topnotch netnewswire UI at home, with full syncing.

plus, you can now use the iphone google reader apps like byline, gazette or the google webapp to keep everything in sync instead of being limited to the netnewswire app.

the netnewswire iphone app will be updated soon with google reader support.

so, there ya go. the first native client on the Mac to offer google reader support and syncing.

Win. I still feel like I wasted $5 on Byline for iPhone, though. The Google Reader webapp is by far the best webapp I've seen on the iPhone. By a country mile.

Edit: App feels awesome... except every article from 4/1 to 6/1 or so is showing up as unread, which is annoying as hell b/c smart albums for some reason don't support a single date field.. wtf?

Also, no sharing? No notes? No friends shared? No likes? No comments?

You'd think they would have announced such a disruptive change with all the features in place. The word beta is utterly meaningless now thanks to Google, and I doubt I'll come back to it or use it even once it adds these things, because I've already tried NetNewsWire four times and each time it's lacked something critical.

Jasoco said:
Are you sure the HD is still working?

If so, seeing as the old machine is dead anyway, take the HD out through whatever means you can. Since it's a PowerBook, the method varies. Look up a how to on the internet for your specific model.

Once you get it out, you will need to find some device to turn it into an external HD. PowerBook's used ATA, didn't they? I dunno. I know they use the newer smaller connector in MacBook's, but PowerBooks used the older style ribbon connectors.

I recommend the NewerTech USB 2.0 Univeral Drive Adapter.

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb2_adapt.php

It provides connections for many popular HD types and came in handy many times for me. It is well worth the $35 it cost me as you will probably end up using it a few times.

If you don't like puzzles, there are alternatives out there that don't require assembly each time.

I guess I will try to make this a pet project next month... hope its not dead

Jasoco

Banned
Well, if it is, I hope you had nothing irreplaceable. And even then, that adapter would come in handy many times in the future. It's quite worth it.

Top Bottom