• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

hirokazu

Muskweeto said:
Ok, I installed Parallels but it's a bit choppy. I have a Mac Mini with 2 gigs of ram, will installing more ram help?
How much RAM are you allocating to the virtual machine? What OS did you install on it?

Windows XP can run well with as little as 256-512MB of RAM depending on what you're running on it. Windows 7, I'd recommend allocating a bare minimum of 1GB of RAM. You'd want to have at least 2-3GB for the rest of your system, so you should probably upgrade to 4GB or more.

Muskweeto

hirokazu said:
How much RAM are you allocating to the virtual machine? What OS did you install on it?

Windows XP can run well with as little as 256-512MB of RAM depending on what you're running on it. Windows 7, I'd recommend allocating a bare minimum of 1GB of RAM. You'd want to have at least 2-3GB for the rest of your system, so you should probably upgrade to 4GB or more.
I installed Windows 7, I've been planning to get more ram anyways. I never thought about how much ram I'm allocating to it, I should look through the options a bit. If I can get my baldur's gate collection working smoothly I'll be happy.

Doytch

Muskweeto said:
Ok, I installed Parallels but it's a bit choppy. I have a Mac Mini with 2 gigs of ram, will installing more ram help?
I installed an extra 2GB into my 2010 Macbook 2 hours ago, and I'm amazed at the difference in VMWare and Aperture. It's completely night and day; VMWare used to crawl and take ages switching from Chrome on OS X to my virtualized W7. Aperture would beachball for ages trying to switch to new projects.

Now, Mac Minis aren't Macbooks, but it'll no doubt be a lot faster. And really, we're looking at $30 here, so you should totally go for it.

Jasoco

Banned
Muskweeto said:
Definitely. Max that sucker out. See, virtual machines require a LOT of RAM. I dedicate 2GB of my 8GB to my Windows 7 Parallels VM and it runs fine. Buy as much RAM as you can. 8GB if you can find it cheap and if your mini supports it. Is it a newer mini with the twisty bottom? Or the older taller one that is impossible to open without a putty knife?

LCfiner

Muskweeto said:

I did not get acceptable VM performance until I had 8 GB in my machine. even 4GB resulted in swapping to the hard drive and noticeable slowdowns while loading the VM

Muskweeto said:
Is there a way to "emulate" a windows environment on a Mac to play old PC game? I don't want to use bootcamp, I basically just want to be able to play old game from gog.com. If this is illegal in any way, please just tell me and I'll edit this post.
There's also WINE, which I've managed to use to play the original Half-Life game and its expansions, and also Magnetis and a Windows version of Minesweeper. Most other Windows games I've tried haven't worked through it, though (or they worked poorly, like Lumines, which ran in slow motion).

Muskweeto

It seems everyone thinks I should get more RAM, I have the newer twist off bottom Mac mini that supports up to 8gb of RAM, so I'll go get myself two 4gig sticks in the near future. Thanks all.

Jasoco

Banned
It's cheap now if you get two 4GB sticks. Highly recommended.

Make sure it specifically works with your machine:
http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx
Or go to NewEgg or Amazon, but make sure it works in a new mini first.

Zeth

FINALLY bought 8 gigs of RAM for my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. It's like getting a brand new machine. With 2gb it would constantly slow down to move stuff in and out of RAM. I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to make the $60 upgrade.

Next I need to replace the aging, full hard drive. Any good way to find deals on HDDs? Any SSDs worth the price : performance ratio?

kaskade

Zeth said:
FINALLY bought 8 gigs of RAM for my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. It's like getting a brand new machine. With 2gb it would constantly slow down to move stuff in and out of RAM. I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to make the $60 upgrade.

Next I need to replace the aging, full hard drive. Any good way to find deals on HDDs? Any SSDs worth the price : performance ratio?
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'll probably end up ordering it next week. That along with an external HDD for backup. I really need to start backing up my machine.

What way to you guys backup? I'm probably going to buy a full size external drive, 1tb most likely. I was thinking of just using Time Machine. I don't know if CCC would be that beneficial on a drive that won't fit in my machine.

Zeth

Funny, my Time Machine died a few weeks ago. For someone who never backed up before it, it worked like a dream for the two years it was in service. Now it just won't power on, no LED indicator or anything. I think it might be the power supply or something. I need to get my data off the drive but I don't want to pay apple an exorbitant repair fee. Anyone know how hard it would be?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zeth said:
Funny, my Time Machine died a few weeks ago. For someone who never backed up before it, it worked like a dream for the two years it was in service. Now it just won't power on, no LED indicator or anything. I think it might be the power supply or something. I need to get my data off the drive but I don't want to pay apple an exorbitant repair fee. Anyone know how hard it would be?
Some (most) external drives can just be put into other cases, and work. Figure out if that's the case for your drive. If it is, you can get it out of the case and put it into a working case. Because chances are that the drive is completely fine.

kaskade

Zeth said:
I would maybe just try going to apple. They are usually pretty good, and may be able to find out if it's just a power supply or something.

Does anyone have the 15" macbook pro from last year? My friend is worried her's is getting too hot. She gets like 75C at 70% idle. She has like 4 firefox tabs open. Is this about normal for it? I get like 65C with 4 tabs open at 70% idle on my 2009 13" macbook pro.

cacophony

How long do you guy's Macbook's battery last usually? I've had for a bit over a month and it seems like I have to charge it quite a bit. What are the main things I can do/change to save power?

cacophony said:
How long do you guy's Macbook's battery last usually? I've had for a bit over a month and it seems like I have to charge it quite a bit. What are the main things I can do/change to save power?

How long do you usually get? It runs down quicker using flash, watching videos, etc. Also depending on how high your brightness is it sucks battery life a lot. I think apple does there tests at 50% screen brightness which is also what I leave mine at.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
As of this afternoon, my Macbook has been acting up. It is the 2008 Unibody Macbook. My spotlight refuses to recognize certain Applications when I search for them via Spotlight. Everything in Spotlight Preference has been checked, and this is literally the first time this has happened to me. So Gaf, is there a solution to this, and is this a common error?

Liquid_015 said:
As of this afternoon, my Macbook has been acting up. It is the 2008 Unibody Macbook. My spotlight refuses to recognize certain Applications when I search for them via Spotlight. Everything in Spotlight Preference has been checked, and this is literally the first time this has happened to me. So Gaf, is there a solution to this, and is this a common error?

Are all the apps that don't show up in the applications folder?

KtSlime

Liquid_015 said:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again? /Roy

It is possible that your mds index is messed up. Go to the terminal, and see if
Code:
mdfind "kMDItemContentType == com.apple.application-bundle" | grep $filename
finds the app you were looking for - Change $filename to whatever you were searching for

If it doesn't, rebuild the index with this command
Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
If that doesn't work, report back and we can figure out where we went wrong. :lol

Liquid_015 said:
Sounds like a GREAT time to try out Quicksilver.

When Spotlight started to fail to find apps and songs I wanted quickly (and sometimes not at all), I made the permanent switch to Quicksilver and disabled spotlight entirely. Best decision ever.

Pachimari

My new iMac 27" is having a loud fan, no matter if the GPU Diode is at 38 or 54 degrees, my hard drive rpm is constantly at 1098-1100, is this normal? Should I lower the fan?

Optical drive is at 1000rpm and CPU fan is at 939rpm, which should be normal.

LeleSocho

Banned
i've got this free iMac g5 because the logic board it's broken so i've opened it just for the fun to do it, i've found that almost every cable is disconnected and some screw are missing there isn't even the ram...
i've thought if there is really a problem with the logic board so my question is...
the mac can boot up without ram? even if it only say that there isn't any ram stick it should be enough to confirm that the logic board isn't broken... no?

Muskweeto

This is more of an emulator question than a Mac question but does anyone know of an N64 emulator that's compatible with Donkey Kong 64? Or maybe just a video plugin for the sixty force emulator? It goes without saying, but I'm talking about Mac emulators.

LeleSocho said:
i've got this free iMac g5 because the logic board it's broken so i've opened it just for the fun to do it, i've found that almost every cable is disconnected and some screw are missing there isn't even the ram...
i've thought if there is really a problem with the logic board so my question is...
the mac can boot up without ram? even if it only say that there isn't any ram stick it should be enough to confirm that the logic board isn't broken... no?

I don't think you can boot into OSX without ram if that's what you're asking.

Anastacio said:
And one more thing, if I write a text in Pages, can I save it as a Word (.doc) document og convert it, like on iPad?

What do you mean convert it? If you're talking about on regular OSX pages you just click the check box in the save as dialog box that says "save copy as:" and you choose word document instead of iWork. If you don't click the box it will just default to iWork doc type.

Now I have a question myself. Is there anything great about iLife '11? It keeps harassing me that I have the older version when I open iPhoto which is all I use. Is there anything that is that compelling to upgrade to the new version.

btkadams

sorry to ask again, but i think my post got lost amongst the discussions. does anyone have any good app store recommendations? i just got a new macbook pro and it came with a $100 app store gift card (i know you can use it for itunes too but i don't use itunes).

hoverX

OK OSXGAF i've got a weird one.

I made a folder yesterday named 'certain tv show' i tried to play one of the files in it using plex and it says that it doesn't recognize the file or something like that. Now i go back to that folder in finder and instead of being a folder it is now a .app file named 'certain tv show.app'. and it wants to use terminal to open it. I've tried to delete the .app file but when i do it immediately reappears...

what gives?

So the cause of my kernel panics turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. It is 3 months old, from Amazon.

Question is, is it under warranty? Should I contact Corsair and try to get it replaced?

Jasoco

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
So the cause of my kernel panics turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. It is 3 months old, from Amazon.

Question is, is it under warranty? Should I contact Corsair and try to get it replaced?
You're gonna have to check with Corsair themselves. We can't help you without going to Corsair and checking their policy. Chances are it is probably longer than 3 months. But only they know for sure.

I bought my SSD from Amazon... or NewEgg... I forget which, but it had a 3-year warranty from Kingston. So when it ended up being faulty a month after buying it I simply had to contact Kingston and have it sent back to be replaced. Though I had to pay for shipping myself, and stupidly chose a $10 method, but at least I got it back. Should have shipped it cheaper though.. I mean, it was dead anyway and made of aluminum. It's not easily crushed. Nor would it have mattered? I mean if they're not going to pay shipping for me anyway...

btkadams said:
sorry to ask again, but i think my post got lost amongst the discussions. does anyone have any good app store recommendations? i just got a new macbook pro and it came with a $100 app store gift card (i know you can use it for itunes too but i don't use itunes).
You should (and you will). I can totally understand bypassing iTunes if you're using Windows, but if you have a MacBook, just give up and start using it. (Or did you mean buying music through iTunes? If so, sorry, I agree, I strictly use Amazon myself.)

What kinds of apps do you want? Productivity, games, social, graphics?

Utako

Banned
adamsappel said:
I can totally understand bypassing iTunes if you're using Windows, but if you have a MacBook, just give up and start using it. (Or did you mean buying music through iTunes? If so, sorry, I agree, I strictly use Amazon myself.)
Yes, he did.

App Suggestions
If you are in any kind of white collar situation, I highly recommend all the iWork apps.

If you live in an area where cellular data goes in and out (like in NYC - no connection on the subway), I recommend Instapaper. "Read Later" in iOS5 doesn't come close.

If you cook, get "Convert" for translating recipe amounts into package amounts.

If you like PBS (and you should!), get their app, because you can watch PBS.

If you ever wondered what that song is, get SoundHound

If you travel: Pack Free

If you jog: RunKeeper

If you have AT&T: myAT&T

I have an 11 air and i bought the worms from the app store. i have tried the command + m to play in windowed mode but no luck... anything else i can try?

btkadams

adamsappel said:
You should (and you will). I can totally understand bypassing iTunes if you're using Windows, but if you have a MacBook, just give up and start using it. (Or did you mean buying music through iTunes? If so, sorry, I agree, I strictly use Amazon myself.)

What kinds of apps do you want? Productivity, games, social, graphics?
i meant i do not buy music through itunes. i guess i'm looking at all fields. i'm a student and a nerd so i'm down for anything cool. i make music too but i already have a DAW (ableton live). i also am interested in the graphic design field but am a complete noob at it. I've been using photoshop for a while but am down for any quirky picture making program.
Utako said:
Yes, he did.

App Suggestions
If you are in any kind of white collar situation, I highly recommend all the iWork apps.

If you live in an area where cellular data goes in and out (like in NYC - no connection on the subway), I recommend Instapaper. "Read Later" in iOS5 doesn't come close.

If you cook, get "Convert" for translating recipe amounts into package amounts.

If you like PBS (and you should!), get their app, because you can watch PBS.

If you ever wondered what that song is, get SoundHound

If you travel: Pack Free

If you jog: RunKeeper

If you have AT&T: myAT&T
thanks, i'll check those out! EDIT: are those for iphones? i only have a mac actually. i won't have an iphone until the iphone 5 comes out.

Just two more weeks and I'll have my MBP. I'll buy some accessories with it:

- Wireless keyboard
- Mini DVI to DVI adapter
- Some kind of case to put it in (I'll be using it for school, so...)

Anything else I should buy? Don't really care about the budget, so tell me what's important (external HD?)

eravulgaris said:

- Wireless keyboard

Anything else I should buy? Don't really care about the budget, so tell me what's important (external HD?)

A case
iKlear + microfibre cloth.

jts

...hate me...
eravulgaris said:

- Wireless keyboard

Make that adapter a Mini DisplayPort to DVI one :p

Also, might as well throw in a MDP to HDMI cable or dongle.

What does it mean with 50% charge cycle?
Screen_shot_2011-07-18_at_12.23.50.png

jts

...hate me...
Meus Renaissance said:
This is laptop was purchased in March. Yikes
Wowzers. My MBP was bought in May 2010 and it's still only @ 178 cycles despite being used for Uni purposes (I guess the iPad is helping a bit since February though).

But don't fret. It will last more than those expected 400 cycles, and should something happen to it so early, you might get lucky with Apple providing you a replacement.

btkadams said:
how the hell have you had 200 battery cycles in that short of time???

I have no idea. Will start to monitor my charges more carefully, but I do remember initially charging it when it was above 50%. I was ignorant of the charging rules but since then have only been doing it when it's been under 15%. It is my primary machine. After speaking to Apple tech support, I was told my model has a charge cycle of 1000 before it starts to deteriorate.

The_Monk

Hello GAf I bought a MacBook Pro 13" a couple of months ago and I have some noob questions. Care to help me please?

1- How do I print screen something?

2- I have one folder with lots of family pictures to show, I want to open them all and start a slideshow on fullscreen. Which is the best app for that?

3- On Pc I use control C + Control V to copy/paste. What about on mac?

4- Is it true, that, if I want to use Bootcamp on my Mac I must install only windows 7? I ask this because I tried to install XP and everything went well. But, when I put the Mac drivers Cd to boot it up a message poped on screen saying that I must have Windows 7. A friend told me that it's ok. I can always download XP Mac drivers and install them and everything will be ok. Can I..?

My apologies for giving you guys work, but if you can help me with this questions I will be very thankful.

Top Bottom