• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

I bought an 21,5 inch Mac half a year ago with 4GB of ram. Is it possible to put some more into it? If yes, does it make sense, how, how much and should I get it done at my sellers place?

Patrick Bateman said:
I bought an 21,5 inch Mac half a year ago with 4GB of ram. Is it possible to put some more into it? If yes, does it make sense, how, how much and should I get it done at my sellers place?

It has four memory slots, and you're using two with the 4GB. You can put the RAM in yourself (there's a hatch on the bottom).

As for how much, how often do you run out? I'd probably get two 4GB sticks giving you 12GB, but maybe 8GB would suffice.

CrudeDiatribe said:
It has four memory slots, and you're using two with the 4GB. You can put the RAM in yourself (there's a hatch on the bottom).

As for how much, how often do you run out? I'd probably get two 4GB sticks giving you 12GB, but maybe 8GB would suffice.

21.5 inch has 2 memory slots. It goes to 8GB of RAM. The extra RAM will be something you will do now or later, its fairly cheap already, but really depends on what you're doing. You may not see a difference.

HenryGale said:
21.5 inch has 2 memory slots. It goes to 8GB of RAM. The extra RAM will be something you will do now or later, its fairly cheap already, but really depends on what you're doing. You may not see a difference.
Would I see any difference when I use mostly iTunes and Firefox?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no

4GB is plenty. If you're planning to update to Lion, might be worth holding off and see whether 8GB is beneficial for that. Although with your expected use I'd still guess not.

I got a Razer Deathadder about half a month ago mainly because it can be used for Windows and OSX. I used the Deathadder on my Windows machine and everything was smooth and great but when I started using it on Macbook I noticed the mouse movement was not as accurate. The best way I can describe the mouse movement is that it has more of a float feeling to it compared to Windows I get smooth accurate movement.

I installed the drivers and all that jazz without any luck. Is this just the way OSX is with mice or is something wrong?

When I want to upload a file from a folder, I want to see the latest modified file first but it shows it in alphabetical order. However, when viewing the folders in general using Finder, they show in Date Modified (selected this myself). Does this make sense?

guest1321

Fourman said:
I got a Razer Deathadder about half a month ago mainly because it can be used for Windows and OSX. I used the Deathadder on my Windows machine and everything was smooth and great but when I started using it on Macbook I noticed the mouse movement was not as accurate. The best way I can describe the mouse movement is that it has more of a float feeling to it compared to Windows I get smooth accurate movement.

I installed the drivers and all that jazz without any luck. Is this just the way OSX is with mice or is something wrong?
I've been using a Death Adder for 2 years now. I was just thinking the other night about how I always see people talk about really simple and cheap mouses working great (and I'm sure they are), but I have had such a great experience with the Death Adder. When I tried installing the drivers everything got all caty wompus so I got rid of them pretty quickly. I do notice a little bit of a difference when I boot to windows though. Everything feels very twitchy and it isn't as good of an experience. I would look into changing your "pointer speed" under system preferences and make sure you have a constant/consistent surface that you are using your mouse on.

guest1321

Meus Renaissance said:
When I want to upload a file from a folder, I want to see the latest modified file first but it shows it in alphabetical order. However, when viewing the folders in general using Finder, they show in Date Modified (selected this myself). Does this make sense?
Yes it does. Your question isn't exactly straight forward, but I'm guessing is what you are looking for is a way to see that last modified file when uploading. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way of doing this; however, when you highlight the file (single click?) it should show you some info to the right of it on it's creation date, last opened date, and modified date. Obviously not as convenient but the only workaround to what your trying to achieve as far as I see it.

guest1321 said:
Yes it does. Your question isn't exactly straight forward, but I'm guessing is what you are looking for is a way to see that last modified file when uploading. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way of doing this; however, when you highlight the file (single click?) it should show you some info to the right of it on it's creation date, last opened date, and modified date. Obviously not as convenient but the only workaround to what your trying to achieve as far as I see it.

Yes, viewing it in List it shows the files automatically set to Date Modified. In Icons and Columns view, however, it is set to alphabetical order

KtSlime

Meus Renaissance said:
Yes, viewing it in List it shows the files automatically set to Date Modified. In Icons and Columns view, however, it is set to alphabetical order

If you are running Snow Leopard you have several options. The View Options inspector has a drop down labeled "Arrange By:" Changing this should work.
You can also access the "Arrange By" menu from your contextual menu. Open the contextual menu in the Finder's directory view and press the option key to change "Clean Up By" to "Arrange By". If you are using Lion, you also have the option to "Sort By".

Oh, and "Clean Up By" works if you want to change your directory's layout temporarily.

ivedoneyourmom said:
If you are running Snow Leopard you have several options. The View Options inspector has a drop down labeled "Arrange By:" Changing this should work.
You can also access the "Arrange By" menu from your contextual menu. Open the contextual menu in the Finder's directory view and press the option key to change "Clean Up By" to "Arrange By". If you are using Lion, you also have the option to "Sort By".

Yes this works but when I want to upload and you get a popup menu to select the location of your file, this is not the case. E.g. when you want to upload an image or video, you go to your folder location and its arranging the files by alphabetical order even though in Finder they are set to Date Modified

KtSlime

Meus Renaissance said:
Yes this works but when I want to upload and you get a popup menu to select the location of your file, this is not the case. E.g. when you want to upload an image or video, you go to your folder location and its arranging the files by alphabetical order even though in Finder they are set to Date Modified

Oh, in the file selection dialog - I really wish they would just kill that thing, Acorn had it right for all these years. *sigh*. Your only option for Snow Leopard is to use the List view so you can sort. In Lion there is a drop down for file sorting in the dialog. Guess that's a good a reason to upgrade as any. :lol

KtSlime

Jasoco said:
Acorn? What do you mean? Kill the file selection dialog?

During the late Eighties to the mid Nineties, prior to complete Microsoft dominance, there were many operating systems, RISC OS was one that was created by Acorn (which is where we get the ARM CPU family from). RISC OS's GUI did not have file open/save dialogs instead to open a file you would navigate the "Filer" file manager much like many use the Finder, and to save a file you would be presented with a single icon, representing the file, where you would drag it to wherever you want to save using the Filer.

RDnPS.png

Jasoco

Banned
If you're gonna have folders open anyway, just drag the Proxy icon into the Save dialog to change to the directory. It's basically the same exact thing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ivedoneyourmom, you're continually impressive with your OS knowledge. Those are cool things to know.

glaurung

Probably not the best thread to ask this, but I just got my new 15" MBP last night and the local store did not have any good protective cases for it.

I was looking at this LArobe case on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001MB3OFY/

If someone has had hands-on experience or can recommend something different, please let me know.

ramyeon

So I opened the App Store today and went to update my Twitter app. However when I tried to update, it asked me for my password as usual but the app store account was an email I have never seen in my life. I erased it and entered my own but it said it was incorrect and then asked again with that strange email again. I decided to uninstall the app and download it again. Uninstall was fine... but I can't download it again, I keep getting an unknown error. I searched the email to see if it was a common problem or a known hacker, but it's some random guy in Norway according to Twitter.

Has ANYONE had this happen to them? It's ONLY on my Twitter app, every other app from the appstore is fine. And when I log in to my account it shows that I did download the Twitter app with my regular account.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If it's prompting you with an email you've never seen before your Apple account may have been hacked. I would contact Apple. I would also check the cc account you use to pay for things you buy from Apple to see if there is any unauthorized activity.

ramyeon

Vilix said:
If it's prompting you with an email you've never seen before your Apple account may have been hacked. I would contact Apple. I would also check the cc account you use to pay for things you buy from Apple to see if there is any unauthorized activity.
No unauthorised purchases at all... and it's asking me to log into a totally different account so I don't think anyone's hacked into my account.

NekoFever

Do you have to do anything special to get Spotlight to search your Address Book contacts? I noticed the other day that it wasn't bringing them up when I tried to use it to get to someone, and I can't work it out. The search within Address Book works fine, but the system-wide one won't find them.

I've tried reindexing the whole drive and that didn't work, and contacts are definitely selected in the Spotlight preferences.

ramyeon

wolfmat said:
ramyeon, you might have to contact support to resolve this.
Yeah I sent an email through to support as well, just thought I'd ask in here in case anyone has experienced anything similar. Thanks!

hirokazu

ramyeon said:
So I opened the App Store today and went to update my Twitter app. However when I tried to update, it asked me for my password as usual but the app store account was an email I have never seen in my life. I erased it and entered my own but it said it was incorrect and then asked again with that strange email again. I decided to uninstall the app and download it again. Uninstall was fine... but I can't download it again, I keep getting an unknown error. I searched the email to see if it was a common problem or a known hacker, but it's some random guy in Norway according to Twitter.

Has ANYONE had this happen to them? It's ONLY on my Twitter app, every other app from the appstore is fine. And when I log in to my account it shows that I did download the Twitter app with my regular account.
This same exact things has happened to me a month ago. I think I asked about it in this thread if you go back through the pages. (Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to read some ranting.)

The account it wanted me to login as was one that a workmate was using on her iPhone's App Store. That phone had never been synced to my computer, but I had backed up the iPhone on it while helping her out with some iPhone issues.

I have no fucking idea how the Mac App Store came to associate the iOS App Store account to Twitter or why it was so stupid. Google gave me zero information on where the deepest settings of MAS installs are hidden. Even deleting all the MAS and iTunes cache and settings files suggested on the Internet didn't make it forget that Twitter had once been installed, nor the wrong email address it was tied to, which suggests there's some dumb DRM shit somewhere that isn't obvious.

Anyway, long story short, I fixed it by copying the Twitter app downloaded from my MAS account from another computer to the one with the errors. Shit pissed me off for days.

ramyeon

hirokazu said:
This same exact things has happened to me a month ago. I think I asked about it in this thread if you go back through the pages. (Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to read some ranting.)

The account it wanted me to login as was one that a workmate was using on her iPhone's App Store. That phone had never been synced to my computer, but I had backed up the iPhone on it while helping her out with some iPhone issues.

I have no fucking idea how the Mac App Store came to associate the iOS App Store account to Twitter or why it was so stupid. Google gave me zero information on where the deepest settings of MAS installs are hidden. Even deleting all the MAS and iTunes cache and settings files suggested on the Internet didn't make it forget that Twitter had once been installed, nor the wrong email address it was tied to, which suggests there's some dumb DRM shit somewhere that isn't obvious.

Anyway, long story short, I fixed it by copying the Twitter app downloaded from my MAS account from another computer to the one with the errors. Shit pissed me off for days.
Sounds like the same problem. Only difference being that the email I'm getting is someone of absolutely no relation to me and in another country :/ so I'm puzzled as to how that email got tied to that app at all. Sounds like a good quick fix but I don't have any other Macs in my house so can't really do that... Let's see what Apple have to say about it, there must be some way to correct it?

hirokazu

ramyeon said:
Sounds like the same problem. Only difference being that the email I'm getting is someone of absolutely no relation to me and in another country :/ so I'm puzzled as to how that email got tied to that app at all. Sounds like a good quick fix but I don't have any other Macs in my house so can't really do that... Let's see what Apple have to say about it, there must be some way to correct it?
I can't think of anything else to do short of reinstalling the 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 combo updater or whatever else may force a reset of the entire MAS on that particular computer.

So I got my replacement external hard drive I sent away for back in the mail the other day, and it's still not working properly. It's in a little better position than it was last time, as I can hear it spinning now, and my system can tell that it's connected by USB (Hardware Growler shows a notification for it, and I can see it in the Developer applications USB Prober and IORegistryExplorer, as well as in System Profiler), but I can't get it to mount as a disk image (it doesn't show up in Finder, Disk Utility, CCC, or Iomega QuikSync). Any idea what's going on here or what I can do to get it to work? I don't want to send away for another replacement again... (my external hard drive is a 500GB Iomega eGo USB portable hard drive, btw)

bionic77

Asked before and didn't get an answer.

Can someone recommend a good SSD for a 2010 MBP? Going to upgrade as soon as Lion comes out.

ramyeon said:

I don't want to sound accusatory but you don't pirate software do you? Sounds like something that could happen with a cracked App from the store.

ramyeon

thewesker said:
I don't want to sound accusatory but you don't pirate software do you? Sounds like something that could happen with a cracked App from the store.
Twitter's a free app, why would I crack it? :lol But no, I don't.

ramyeon

thewesker said:
I know that. Is it the only app you've ever downloaded? It was a silly thought though, I must admit.
I've downloaded other apps but the only one with the problem is Twitter. All the others are fine :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bionic77 said:

Can someone recommend a good SSD for a 2010 MBP? Going to upgrade as soon as Lion comes out.

I'm interested too, but for a 2008 MBP. If I keep it, I'm going to wipe it when Lion comes out, fresh install and SSD.

Either that or sell it and get a 13" MBA

Pachimari

I bought an iMac 27" with 3.1GHz i5 etc but it got slow all of a sudden. I woke the screen from sleep and then it had to load all the time, to the point I had to restart. Im not even storing anything else than 2 Pages documents. Could it have been because I had four Safari windows, four Pages windows, Reeder, iTunes Home Sharing, Yahoo and MSN running at the same time? Can an upgrade in RAM help me out?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
bionic77 said:

mrklaw said:
I'm interested too, but for a 2008 MBP. If I keep it, I'm going to wipe it when Lion comes out, fresh install and SSD.

Either that or sell it and get a 13" MBA

Ehem, I recently bought an OCZ Agility 3 240GB 2.5" SATA-3 SSD drive for my... wait for it... 2009(!) MBP. I've had some past experiences with OCZ and they make by far the fastest and best quality SSD drives around IMO.

I'm not intimately familiar with either the 2008 or 2010 MBP configurations but I imagine any 2.5" drives would work, I highly recommend OCZ and advice against going anywhere near Crucial SSDs, they break like mad.

Here's a link to the drive I got via UK online store Overclockers. I imagine Newegg or similar retailer carries them (there are many size/speed varieties) in the US if you're on that side of the pond. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-077-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

Note that non-Apple SSD drives currently does not have TRIM-support in Lion, or Snow Leopard for that matter, but that might change.

As a side note, it took me 9 minutes in total to install Lion GM via USB onto that drive ^. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cheers. I'm in the UK too but don't need that much space - 120GB would be fine. Would the vertex 2 be a good choice? Do they come in the same form factor as a 2.5" notebook drive so its just a straight swap over?

Is there an easy way to consolidate two iTunes libraries into one? I have a library on my laptop, another on an external drive. I'd like to move it all to my external drive while keeping my iPhone and iPad sync, playlists, playcounts and all that intact.

I thought there was a "Consolidate Library" option in iTunes, but I can't find it. Help?

bionic77

Tunesmith said:
Ehem, I recently bought an OCZ Agility 3 240GB 2.5" SATA-3 SSD drive for my... wait for it... 2009(!) MBP. I've had some past experiences with OCZ and they make by far the fastest and best quality SSD drives around IMO.

I'm not intimately familiar with either the 2008 or 2010 MBP configurations but I imagine any 2.5" drives would work, I highly recommend OCZ and advice against going anywhere near Crucial SSDs, they break like mad.

Here's a link to the drive I got via UK online store Overclockers. I imagine Newegg or similar retailer carries them (there are many size/speed varieties) in the US if you're on that side of the pond. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-077-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

Note that non-Apple SSD drives currently does not have TRIM-support in Lion, or Snow Leopard for that matter, but that might change.

As a side note, it took me 9 minutes in total to install Lion GM via USB onto that drive ^. :)
I thought Lion was getting TRIM support? I guess I will hold off a few weeks to confirm it is supported.

Muskweeto

Is there a way to "emulate" a windows environment on a Mac to play old PC game? I don't want to use bootcamp, I basically just want to be able to play old game from gog.com. If this is illegal in any way, please just tell me and I'll edit this post.

numble

Muskweeto said:
Is there a way to "emulate" a windows environment on a Mac to play old PC game? I don't want to use bootcamp, I basically just want to be able to play old game from gog.com. If this is illegal in any way, please just tell me and I'll edit this post.
There is Parallels and VMWare and a bunch of other stuff. Perfectly legal; even Bertrand Serlet, father of OS X approves.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
mrklaw said:
cheers. I'm in the UK too but don't need that much space - 120GB would be fine. Would the vertex 2 be a good choice? Do they come in the same form factor as a 2.5" notebook drive so its just a straight swap over?

If you have the budget, maybe try the OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB one, it's £18 more than the regular Vertex, but has much higher writing speeds.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-048-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1427

As far as I know, all 2.5" SATA SSDs should fit the MBP.

bionic77 said:
I thought Lion was getting TRIM support? I guess I will hold off a few weeks to confirm it is supported.

Lion has TRIM support, but only for Apple's own SSD drives. No third parties are supported yet, maybe they never will be, who knows.

Top Bottom