• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

btkadams

so, my macbook pro is going through customs clearance in ontario and should probably be in calgary by late tonight (through fedex). am i really going to have to wait until monday for them to deliver it? lol im so impatient. i wish i could go pick it up at one of their stores on the weekend but i have a feeling it will only be delivered and will stay in storage all weekend.

What's the average temp of your MBP? Installed iStat earlier and it indicates it is around 59 Celsius on average for me whilst browsing the Internet with a couple of tabs open.

btkadams

Meus Renaissance said:
What's the average temp of your MBP? Installed iStat earlier and it indicates it is around 59 Celsius on average for me whilst browsing the Internet with a couple of tabs open.
my older one would sometimes get really hot. maybe thats why the logic board failed after 3.5 years lol. it would usually be in the 60s but would sometimes go up to 80s when i was running a lot of intense stuff.

Jasoco

Banned
Do the Airs run as hot as the Pros do? Because my Pro also gets realllllly hot. So hot that the word "realllllly" is actually in my iPads word dictionary.

Pachimari

So I got dust stock on the backside of the glasspanel on my brand new iMac 27", would you exchange something like that?

There's at least six "huge" ones, one of them on the black bezel, and it's distracting me, I can even see it on white from a distance. Could imagine it wouldn't do me any favors when editing images at pixels in Photoshop.

So, I don't know if it has anything to do with OS, but I just purchased a new Logitech 2.1 speaker system, because I thought that there's not enough power (and especially bass) coming out of the inbuild speakers of my Mac.

Is it bad that the speakers are standing right next to the Mac and the external HDD? (Don't know about magnets and stuff in those speakers).

It seemed that the Mac has some problems after I hooked the speakers up to the same Power strip as the Mac, two external HDD and the printer.

Ashhong

mine is usually in the 70s and goes to about 90 when watching flash

i might take out the heatsinks and add arctic silver5

Patrick Bateman said:
So, I don't know if it has anything to do with OS, but I just purchased a new Logitech 2.1 speaker system, because I thought that there's not enough power (and especially bass) coming out of the inbuild speakers of my Mac.

Is it bad that the speakers are standing right next to the Mac and the external HDD? (Don't know about magnets and stuff in those speakers).

It seemed that the Mac has some problems after I hooked the speakers up to the same Power strip as the Mac, two external HDD and the printer.

Should not make a difference...what kind of problems are you having?

Ashhong said:
Should not make a difference...what kind of problems are you having?

Songs via iTunes and youtube have suddenly silent parts. The sound is getting quiet or is completely gone. It happens rarely, but I never had the problem before (without boxes).

Edit:

Another problem I currently have, is that sending files via Adium doesn't work. Receving is smooth sailing. Ports for ICQ are open, Mac-Firewall is off.

I can accept files and I receive some of them, but everytime when 1:10 min are left, it just stops.

Futureman

My 1 year old MBP is always making this clicking noise. I think it's the automatic graphic switching thing, but I have it turned off in system preferences.

anyone else have this?

Futureman said:
My 1 year old MBP is always making this clicking noise. I think it's the automatic graphic switching thing, but I have it turned off in system preferences.

anyone else have this?
graphics switching doesn't make a noise, brah.

sounds like your HDD is dying. back that shit up, then test it or have it tested at your local Apple Store.

Jasoco

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:

Magnets of that size can't destroy a Hard Drive. You need an industrial strength junk yard magnet the size of a car to hurt a HDD's data.

Futureman said:

anyone else have this?
Yeah... clicking is not a sound you want to hear. Back your shit up if you don't already then take it into the store and tell them what you think.

Chris R

My mini had two hard shutdowns after about 10 mins of use and now won't turn on at all :/ is it dead? I'm using it in a different location from where it normally lives so I'm wondering if the power is dirty or something (perfectly fine for my tv/ps3 though so...)

Jasoco

Banned
Hold down Command+P+R when booting up. Tell me if that works.

How old is it? My old white pre-Unibody 2007 MacBook did the same thing for months before the end of its life.

Ashhong said:
mine is usually in the 70s and goes to about 90 when watching flash

i might take out the heatsinks and add arctic silver5

You can buy better fans for Macbooks? Where? I desperately need to fix my fan that has become noisy as hell over the years.

Also: Whats the final word on Pages? Is it any good compared to the latest version of Word?

(Bonus question: if I should buy into the entire iCloud world of lovely, what would one need to get the perfect experience?)

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
My mini had two hard shutdowns after about 10 mins of use and now won't turn on at all :/ is it dead? I'm using it in a different location from where it normally lives so I'm wondering if the power is dirty or something (perfectly fine for my tv/ps3 though so...)
Did you try my suggestion? Resetting the Power Manager uses the same command as Zapping the PRAM used to do on old legacy PPC Macs. Command+Option+P+R.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Did you try my suggestion? Resetting the Power Manager uses the same command as Zapping the PRAM used to do on old legacy PPC Macs. Command+Option+P+R.
You,d think something in the pram is causing hard shut downs?

Anyway, to clarify, turn on your mac while holding those key commands until you hear the first bong, then the second bong, and then release.

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
You,d think something in the pram is causing hard shut downs?

Anyway, to clarify, turn on your mac while holding those key commands until you hear the first bong, then the second bong, and then release.
It is worth a shot. My MacBook did the same thing and this fixed it. If it doesn't work, then he can take it into a store and have it looked at.

Push power and immediately hold the keys. If nothing happens after 20 seconds, it ain't gonna work.

Doytch

I just ordered a 4GB stick of Kingston memory for my Macbook (the newest one), cause it was cheaper than getting 2x2GB. Would there be any visible benefit to running it with one of the 1GB sticks I'm currently using (Aperture, VMWare are the biggest hogs I use), or am I more likely to just get instability?

tigerin

how do i change my network preference on my macbook pro?
cause everytimes i turn it on or wake it up after stand by, it usually put me on my sister's mobile router which is 50 feets away while the router i want to use is right next to me. question is, how do i make it connect to my router automatically??

and what is a good free program to open rar files on mac? thanks

Doytch

tigerin said:
how do i change my network preference on my macbook pro?
cause everytimes i turn it on or wake it up after stand by, it usually put me on my sister's mobile router which is 50 feets away while the router i want to use is right next to me. question is, how do i make it connect to my router automatically??

and what is a good free program to open rar files on mac? thanks
1) Click the icon in the menubar, "Open Network Prefs", "Advanced..." and then just drag the networks into order.

2) I use the Unarchiver. Never had problems with it, and it handles pretty much everything.

Chris R

Jasoco said:
What I had to end up doing was unplug the power cord, wait half a minuet, then press and hold the power button while plugging the cord in. That made my fan run at 100% all the time but at least it booted. Unplugged the cord again and everything was fine.

And it is a MacMini 3.1 (C2D @ 2Ghz, 4GB Ram, nVidia 9400M)

mrkgoo

rhfb said:
What I had to end up doing was unplug the power cord, wait half a minuet, then press and hold the power button while plugging the cord in. That made my fan run at 100% all the time but at least it booted. Unplugged the cord again and everything was fine.

And it is a MacMini 3.1 (C2D @ 2Ghz, 4GB Ram, nVidia 9400M)

Where did you get the idea to do that?

Sounds a little like resetting the SMC.

How many people are using extentions on Safari?

I'm using a fair few to clean up BS on FB and to remove those stupid FB "like" buttons on different webpages. But I think this is absolutely awesome: http://acleanerinternet.com/

It's a bit scary at first thinking Youtube is all different, but it's truly awesome

Ashhong

Vinterbird said:
You can buy better fans for Macbooks? Where? I desperately need to fix my fan that has become noisy as hell over the years.

Also: Whats the final word on Pages? Is it any good compared to the latest version of Word?

(Bonus question: if I should buy into the entire iCloud world of lovely, what would one need to get the perfect experience?)

Never said anything about better fans. I meant you can take out the heatsinks and apply better thermal paste on it to get lower temps. Lost the link but a tutorial is on macrumors

Chris R

mrkgoo said:
Where did you get the idea to do that?

Sounds a little like resetting the SMC.
I looked up an Apple Support article. I think I reset the PMU and then reset the SMC. Just wonder if plugging it into a new wall outlet screwed it up.

Anyways, thing is old, and needs replacing. I have money to throw at Apple but they don't want me to spend it I guess :(

Jasoco

Banned
rhfb said:
I looked up an Apple Support article. I think I reset the PMU and then reset the SMC. Just wonder if plugging it into a new wall outlet screwed it up.

Anyways, thing is old, and needs replacing. I have money to throw at Apple but they don't want me to spend it I guess :(
Hang onto that money for soon there shall be an abundance of new stuff to choose from. There has to be. It's been a long time.

mrkgoo

I think I may have asked this before, but what's the deal with FaceTime for Mac?

I still have the "beta" 0.9 version, and although it's sold for $0.99 on the Mac Appstore (v 1.0.2) my version still works fine. I understand the Sarbanes–Oxley Act (well, no I don't, but I know of it), I was just wondering if there's nay need for me to pay that dollar.

Also curious as to how MAc Appstore apps update if you don't buy them on the Mac Appstore - for example, I imagine the iLife apps come with new macs - are they 'accountless' versions that just allow updates via the Appstore?

Chris R

Jasoco said:
Hang onto that money for soon there shall be an abundance of new stuff to choose from. There has to be. It's been a long time.
But not what I want most likely. The mini will be without a dedicated gpu and the pro will be too expensive :( Why can Apple just take the iMac internals and put those in a box without the screen.

Anyways, enough complaining from the dinosaur niche market, onward ultralight mobile devices.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Notify is an awesome email notifier for Mac OS X. It fits seamlessly into your menubar, only vying for your attention when you have new mail. Notify supports mutliple accounts, including Gmail/Google Apps, MobileMe, and Rackspace Email. All in a beautiful interface.

notify.jpg

The developer lost interest and has made the program free. Sucks for those wanting him to finish all the features of the 2.2 beta (boo), but great for everyone else. highly recommended!

You can download the latest beta here - http://cl.ly/1q3t2G1G3Y0G1D1G0Q03

Go to the homepage for the final release version 2.1 - http://vibealicious.com/apps/notify/

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I think I may have asked this before, but what's the deal with FaceTime for Mac?

I still have the "beta" 0.9 version, and although it's sold for $0.99 on the Mac Appstore (v 1.0.2) my version still works fine. I understand the Sarbanes–Oxley Act (well, no I don't, but I know of it), I was just wondering if there's nay need for me to pay that dollar.
Doesn't matter since it'll be free with Lion.

btkadams

is there any reason for someone to buy the magic trackpad if they have a new 15" macbook pro? does the size difference of the pad really add to it? [coming from someone who loves his macbook trackpad]

btkadams

mrkgoo said:

Also curious as to how MAc Appstore apps update if you don't buy them on the Mac Appstore - for example, I imagine the iLife apps come with new macs - are they 'accountless' versions that just allow updates via the Appstore?
im pretty sure the apps bought outside the appstore will just update via software update instead of the app store.

mrkgoo

btkadams said:
im pretty sure the apps bought outside the appstore will just update via software update instead of the app store.
Yeah, an article on ms rumours today stated iLife updates are out fr the apostle and will likely be pushed to software update soon.

Blackhead

Redarse
btkadams said:
is there any reason for someone to buy the magic trackpad if they have a new 15" macbook pro? does the size difference of the pad really add to it? [coming from someone who loves his macbook trackpad]
no! The laptop trackpads are a better experience than the magic trackpad.

Willectro

Banned
I'm thinking about buying Xcode to mess around with seeing as it's only $4.99. It's also required to allow Macports to work. Anyone have any advice in terms of whether I should wait until Lion to buy and install Xcode, or if I should wait for the next version of Xcode, etc?

From what I've read, the updates for Xcode are pretty broken. Apparently every time there is an update you have to redownload the 4.3gb app. Are the app store reviewers just stupid or is this true?

Chris R

I know for the developer version of Xcode I have to redownload each and every time. No clue about the App Store version though.

tigerin

Doytch said:
1) Click the icon in the menubar, "Open Network Prefs", "Advanced..." and then just drag the networks into order.

2) I use the Unarchiver. Never had problems with it, and it handles pretty much everything.

thanks for the Unarchiver app. i'm still having problem with the first question tho. my macbook still connects to my sis router even after i put mine as the priority and her is second.

mrkgoo

tigerin said:
thanks for the Unarchiver app. i'm still having problem with the first question tho. my macbook still connects to my sis router even after i put mine as the priority and her is second.

You could just delete her one and re add back later if you ever use it, and maybe then it will be the right priority.

Will52: is Xcode 3 still available? If you're just messing about, it could be a good place to do so.

hirokazu

mrkgoo said:

If you're planning to upgrade to Lion, just wait for it to come out. It comes with the latest FaceTime for free.

hirokazu

will52 said:
I'm thinking about buying Xcode to mess around with seeing as it's only $4.99. It's also required to allow Macports to work. Anyone have any advice in terms of whether I should wait until Lion to buy and install Xcode, or if I should wait for the next version of Xcode, etc?

From what I've read, the updates for Xcode are pretty broken. Apparently every time there is an update you have to redownload the 4.3gb app. Are the app store reviewers just stupid or is this true?
Xcode 4 will be a free download after you install Lion. Yes, you do have to redownload the entire Xcode every time there's an update, but it's usually no big deal unless you're a registered iOS developer who's always on the latest betas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
could you use a MBP as a 24/7 desktop machine? I don't use my MBP much except for web browsing and remote administering my NAS/mac mini. And I don't use my mac mini much except for plex.

So I'm wondering if I can combine the two and have my MBP under the TV as my plex machine, and occasionally pull it out if I need to use it.

Its a unibody 2008 15", but the metal frame is a little bent in a couple of areas from dropping it, so resale value will be affected.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you get photos out of iphoto and into lightroom? Just bought a panasonic G3 which comes with a free copy of lightroom, so I want to try and move my photos into that for organising/editing - and start using RAW at the same time.

But I can't see any easy way to keep my photos in the events I created, or keep the tags.

don't mind using an interim step/app if necessary but am currently stuck.

mrklaw said:
But I can't see any easy way to keep my photos in the events I created, or keep the tags.

don't mind using an interim step/app if necessary but am currently stuck.

I'm not a Lightroom user (Aperture since v1.5), but I'm surprised there isn't an import tool.

I believe Automator understands iPhoto events, so you could make an Automator action that exports all the photos and sticks each Event's photos in a different, named, folder. Import those into Lightroom. I don't know how you'd keep your tags.

You could also just use Lightroom for your new camera, and keep iPhoto around for what it's good at— making calendars, slideshows, etc. I use it myself once a year to make a calendar for my mother-in-law for Christmas.

Top Bottom