• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

LeleSocho

Banned
Wallach said:
My fans don't kick on watching a 720p Youtube video at all (2011 MBP 13"). It's on my lap right now and it doesn't even really warm up looping the Skyrim trailer in fullscreen.
Thank you so much
Now I've made my mind, MBP 15' with hi-res screen now I only need to convince my parents that i need a new notebook :D

Harry_Tequila said:
Okay, I'm new to using the Mac and I feel like an idiot for asking this but here goes.

I've been messing around with rails and I've installed it using RVM from terminal. RVM is installed to the '$HOME/.rvm/' path, however when I go to the home directory in finder I can't see the '.rvm' folder. I can navigate to it using terminal and access files that way but not in finder. Am I not getting something here?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure the folder is hidden (folders with a . in the beginning are automatically hidden in Finder). You can show hidden files by running this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

in the Terminal. Then to hide them again you can run the same commands but replace TRUE with FALSE.

Treefingers said:
I'm pretty sure the folder is hidden (folders with a . in the beginning are automatically hidden in Finder). You can show hidden files by running this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

in the Terminal. Then to hide them again you can run the same commands but replace TRUE with FALSE.
Thanks. That's just what I need. I can see it now.

KtSlime

Harry_Tequila said:

Hiding files that start with a . is actually a 40 year old convention, one that Microsoft does not adhere to which ultimately causes confusion to people switching to OS X, Linux, and other Unix/Unix like systems.

There is also another type of hidden file, and those do not have a . in front, instead they have a hidden flag set. You can tell if a file has an extended attribute by using the command ls -al@. The hidden flag can be turned off with chflags nohidden $file

Krelian

Harry_Tequila said:
You can also open a Finder window from inside the hidden folder. To do that just type open .hidden_folder_name in the terminal. It has the advantage of not cluttering your home folder with all the hidden stuff.

Muskweeto

I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Air to carry around with me instead of my iPad, can anyone with experience with them tell me a couple things?

Does it get hot when you keep it plugged in while using it?
Does it rival that of an iPad in terms of leaving it in sleep mode instead of turning it completely off?

And any other things that may be worth mentioning would be much appreciated.

I plan to get the biggest and most powerful version.

Aha, thanks guys, very useful to know.

It is a bit weird that there isn't just a menu option in finder to shows hidden files/folders. I suppose it doesn't need to be there for people in general though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
so, my sister bought a brand new macbook pro, and i installed 8GB of ram from crucial.

can I take the 4 GB that were in her machine and install it in my wife's 2009 13inch macbook pro?

According to mactracker the ram in my sisters macbook pro is:

2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

and my wifes is:

2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Ashhong

quadriplegicjon said:
so, my sister bought a brand new macbook pro, and i installed 8GB of ram from crucial.

can I take the 4 GB that were in her machine and install it in my wife's 2009 13inch macbook pro?

According to mactracker the ram in my sisters macbook pro is:

2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

and my wifes is:

2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Yes. If your wife's MBP simply cannot run the PC3-10600, it will automatically downgrade the speed and should work fine.

Jasoco

Banned
Anastacio said:
Yea I'm having Plex on my Mac Mini and plan to install an HDTV and an Apple TV with Plex in my bedroom, so I can watch a movie every night. =)

What hard drives do I need for the Synergy and which Synergy?
I love Plex. Especially Nine. Before Nine came out I was unhappy with every offering there was on OS X. Boxee, XBMC and Plex/Eight all had their quirks and made it not work for me at all. The main quirk that ALL of them had, and still do, was their horrible scrapers that never could get my library even close to correct. I was fixing metadata right and left.

When Plex/Nine came along with its totally brand new "Scanners" instead, I was skeptical until I scanned my vast library for the first time and it got 98% correct. And the bonus of having the amazing separate Media Manager app as an actual OS X app and not an integrated UI built into the media center app sealed the deal.

And the day the Plex iOS App came out, I was first in line to download it. Hasn't let me down since. Best remote control app ever. Well worth the $5 if you have any sort of iDevice and Plex/Nine running on any of your machines. Especially if it's a TV. Who needs a stupid Apple remote? I haven't used my Apple Remote since I bought PlexApp and Rowmote Pro. A winning combination.

Not sure if the remote can control Plex on an AppleTV though. I really don't want to futz around with hacking an AppleTV to get Plex on it. I connected my mini directly to my TV. Best $700 I ever spent. Well, more than $700 if you also count the numerous hard drives I have with all my stuff on them.

zychi

Banned
i know this is the osx thread but are mini display port adapters -> hdmi able to be used with the new laptops that have thunderbolt? i have 3 of these adapters and can't find the answer online anywhere. if it does work, will it pass sound through them too?

Works for me, you should be gold. The only thing that came up was that I couldn't seem to find a way to force audio through the hdmi on a OS level, only though the media player or whatever I was using. But now it just defaults to that anyway so its not really an issue at all.

Pachimari

Hmmm... I bought apps like Reeder on the Mac App Store on my iMac 27" before selling it, and now I see it's listed with a price and 'buy now' button when I'm trying to get it on my Mac Mini.

So I will have to buy it all over again?

Anastacio said:
Hmmm... I bought apps like Reeder on the Mac App Store on my iMac 27" before selling it, and now I see it's listed with a price and 'buy now' button when I'm trying to get it on my Mac Mini.

Is the account logged in? Do you even have to log in?

mrkgoo

Anastacio said:

Have you logged in with the right Apple ID?

Pachimari

Napoleonthechimp said:
Is the account logged in? Do you even have to log in?
My account is logged in, and I'm using the same Apple ID for both machines.
If I click on 'buy now' will it charge me again?

Edit:
I found it under my 'Purchased' story, great.

LeleSocho said:
Mac-Gaf I have a simple question for you...
The MacBookPros from Mid2010 until now (if you have the newest please answer you too) when it runs a Youtube video (480p or 720p) the fan make a lot of noise? or they are silent?
thx in advance

Interesting that the other poster said it ran fine; I am so used to Flash running up the fans on my Macs that I removed it entirely from my 2006 MacBook and disabled it with ClickToFlash on my other Macs.

I am using a plugin that grabs the H264 video and plays it with an embedded Quicktime viewer instead of Flash keeps them all running cool.

I should be doing hw said:
Go on. I'm using a '11 MBP 13" and my fans gear up when anything flash is involved.

YouTube5

Works with YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo, though Vimeo's native HTML5 player worked very reliably for me anyway, unlike YouTube's.

Then, either grab ClickToFlash (just notice it got removed when I upgraded to Lion) or remove Flash. This might be useful reading: Going Flash-Free on Mac OS X, and How to Cheat When You Need It (Daring Fireball)

JonCha

Is there any way I can upload a recorded voice memo to somewhere so others can view it? Seems lame that people have to use my phone to hear what I've recorded.

JonCha said:
Is there any way I can upload a recorded voice memo to somewhere so others can view it? Seems lame that people have to use my phone to hear what I've recorded.
well...you could press record on your computer, put the phone up to your computer's microphone and put it on speaker phone mode. Then upload the audio file wherever.

?

123rl

Is there an official thread for the new Mac Mini? I'm so tempted to buy one. I only want it as a desktop replacement. It will be my first Mac (I've had/got various iOS machines in the past). I will be using it for photo editing, no gaming, and as a media hub connected to several external USB HDDs. I want to plug it into a HDMI monitor @ 1080p and a second monitor @ 1680x1050 via VGA. Is that possible?

Wallach

CrudeDiatribe said:
Interesting that the other poster said it ran fine; I am so used to Flash running up the fans on my Macs that I removed it entirely from my 2006 MacBook and disabled it with ClickToFlash on my other Macs.

I am using a plugin that grabs the H264 video and plays it with an embedded Quicktime viewer instead of Flash keeps them all running cool.

I just watched a 15-minute long video on YouTube in 720p and the fans never revved up. I've definitely had the fans come on before when things get hotter (like playing a game for a while), but I don't think I've ever heard them kick in just from watching YouTube clips.

JonCha

Dreams-Visions said:
well...you could press record on your computer, put the phone up to your computer's microphone and put it on speaker phone mode. Then upload the audio file wherever.

?

How can I recorded audio on my Mac?

dngrfld

Neo Member
posted this in the lion thread but it went unnoticed.

HYQO9.png

How can I get my dock to look like this?

X-Frame

X-Frame said:
I have a question regarding Handbrake ..

Is there any way for me to drag and drop multiple files at once into Handbrake for it to encode? I can't find any way .. and the only way I see now to get files in is to add 1 file individually via the Source button.

Quoting myself as I still can't figure it out .. what do I need to do to drag-and-drop multiple files into Handbrake??

Thanks!

dc89

dngrfld said:
posted this in the lion thread but it went unnoticed.

HYQO9.png

How can I get my dock to look like this?

Seems like it's done using CandyBar.

Google CandyBar3 and have a read! It's a dock and icon customisation tool.

dngrfld

Neo Member
dc89 said:

Got the job done!
Had a look at candybar but that seemed to be more about icon/textures rather than positioning. All I had to do was resize the dock and I already had all the options that I needed available in my secrets preference panel.

Still, thanks for the help!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do I force 1080p through my amp (Yamaha RX767)? It takes PS3 1080p ok so 1080p/60 shouldn't be an issue. But my 2011 mini doesn't show a picture when set to 1080p/60 or /50. 720p is fine, as it 1080p/24.

If I connect direct to my TV all resolutions work ok.

Is it possible to connect direct to the TV via HDMI, have stereo sound over HDMI for watching on TV, but simultaneously route 5.1 via optical to an amp? I know OSX can be a little shit with resolutions/timings sometimes, so I don't mind working around it but I want sound via both TV and amp - one of the reasons for updating to the 2011 mini (my 2007 needed the amp on due to DVI carrying no sound)

123rl

Maybe HDMI from Mac > TV and optical output from your TV to amplifier? If your TV has an optical socket on it then it will work. This is what I do with some devices

Tattooth

You can do that corner dock thing without any apps.
Just open terminal and type in:"defaults write com.apple.dock pinning -string end"
and then "killall Dock"

You can change the "end" part to start to have it in the left corner.

Jasoco

Banned
dc89 said:

I haven't used Candybar since they released 3.0 and charged high upgrade price.

SECRETS is what I use to move the Dock, and PhotoShop is used to make new images for the Dock and Terminal is used to replace the images in the Dock.app.

Edited: I'm not myself this morning.

X-Frame said:
Quoting myself as I still can't figure it out .. what do I need to do to drag-and-drop multiple files into Handbrake??

Thanks!
You can't. You have to set them all up one at a time in a Queue.

Jasoco

Banned
Thanks, LC. Sorry. I'm just a bit tired and it's a Sunday so now I have to go to work in the most busy department at my store.

I found some of my 2008 Macbook Pro 1GB ram sticks in my closet today. I have a Early 2010 iMac. Is it possible to add these two sticks in my iMac or will they not fit/bad idea? I currently have 4gb in my iMac with 2 open slots.

this is the type of ram: samsung 1gb 2rx8 pc2-5300s-555-12-e3

bionic77

criesofthepast said:
I found some of my 2008 Macbook Pro 1GB ram sticks in my closet today. I have a Early 2010 iMac. Is it possible to add these two sticks in my iMac or will they not fit/bad idea? I currently have 4gb in my iMac with 2 open slots.

this is the type of ram: samsung 1gb 2rx8 pc2-5300s-555-12-e3
I think you usually want the ram to match.

Jasoco

Banned
I think 1GB sticks are pretty useless for any late model computer these days. Apple really should kill them off by making all their Macs at least 4GB so the least they have is 2GB sticks.

Edit: Interesting. The only Mac, aside from the Air that doesn't count, that has 1GB sticks in it is the Mac Pro which has THREE of them for 3GB. Which is an odd number. The next model up has three 2GB sticks. Why not just throw the 2GB into the low end model? They already make a profit off the Pro's and 1GB sticks are worthless. 2GB are so cheap.

OK, i just discovered Automator this is really awesome but i have no idea what I am doing.

What I want to do is when insert a specific flash drive i want it to automaticly copy the drive contents to the desktop with out any prompts just a finished job notifier when done.

is this possible? i have searched google but anything i see for Automator is from 2008 and won't work with Lion.

Thanks

kr2t0s

X-Frame said:

Thanks!
I'm almost positive that you cannot drag & drop in handbrake. maybe stop by the handbrake forum itself but I'm like 99% positive that you can't.

Harry_Tequila said:
Okay, I'm new to using the Mac and I feel like an idiot for asking this but here goes.

I've been messing around with rails and I've installed it using RVM from terminal. RVM is installed to the '$HOME/.rvm/' path, however when I go to the home directory in finder I can't see the '.rvm' folder. I can navigate to it using terminal and access files that way but not in finder. Am I not getting something here?

Thanks.
Folders starting with "." are hidden by default. You can either download something like TotalFinder that lets you see hidden files, or in Terminal, do:
Code:
sudo chflags nohidden [filename]
Then type your password and the file should show up.
Edit: Oops, looks like this was already covered. I blame it on my being on a browser without AutoPager.

Jasoco

Banned
Side note: I really hate applications that place things in hidden folders in my Home folder. That shit is unacceptable. Put that fucking shit where it belongs! This is OS X! The Library folder is there for a reason!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
Side note: I really hate applications that place things in hidden folders in my Home folder. That shit is unacceptable. Put that fucking shit where it belongs! This is OS X! The Library folder is there for a reason!

you mean the hidden library folder that they don't want you to see anymore?

mrkgoo said:
Touché! (<-I'm just playing with Lion's new accent above e's thing).
Couldn't you always put accents over e's? Option+e+e again = é. It always amuses me when I hear people explaining to Windows users a long process for inserting some special characters that can easily be inserted with the Option key on OS X.

Top Bottom