• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

guest1321

The_Monk said:
GAF, one more time I need you help.

I just got one of these

http://i.imgur.com/X0aK7l.jpg

and an HDMI cable too. I connected to my Macbook Pro (which I just got it a couple of months ago) and to my Tv.

My tv is an 37" LG (model lg 37LH7030)

The problem is, I cant get a proper resolution for a decent picture FULLSCREEN on my Tv.

I tried switching all resolution but no good one was found. I searched the web and some people use to program called SwitchResX but I can't understand/find a way to make my Tv appear with a fullscreen.

Can anyone please, please help me? I just want to connect my laptop to my Tv and have a full screen image on it. I lost so many hours trying to finding a solution and nothing so far.

Thanks in advance.

I have that same issue with my TV. There is a possibility that you can change a setting in the monitor/TV to se the resolution for PC mode. This fixed my issue on one TV but my older TV (2006?) still will not display in the properly fitted high resolution. You may be SOL here unless you can find an app the allows you to customize your display output.

EDIT: Did you turn overscan off?

Jasoco

Banned
The_Monk said:
GAF, one more time I need you help.

I just got one of these

http://i.imgur.com/X0aK7l.jpg

and an HDMI cable too. I connected to my Macbook Pro (which I just got it a couple of months ago) and to my Tv.

My tv is an 37" LG (model lg 37LH7030)

The problem is, I cant get a proper resolution for a decent picture FULLSCREEN on my Tv.

I tried switching all resolution but no good one was found. I searched the web and some people use to program called SwitchResX but I can't understand/find a way to make my Tv appear with a fullscreen.

Can anyone please, please help me? I just want to connect my laptop to my Tv and have a full screen image on it. I lost so many hours trying to finding a solution and nothing so far.

Thanks in advance.
Here's what I get with my Mac mini in both Snow Leopard and Lion:
3r6DN.png

Do you not have the automatic 480, 720 and/or 1080 options? OS X is supposed to support this automatically when outputting HDMI to a HDTV. It recognizes my 32" Polaroid FLM-3232 fine. No SwitchResX needed.

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Here's what I get with my Mac mini in both Snow Leopard and Lion:
3r6DN.png

Do you not have the automatic 480, 720 and/or 1080 options? OS X is supposed to support this automatically when outputting HDMI to a HDTV. It recognizes my 32" Polaroid FLM-3232 fine. No SwitchResX needed.
Wait, Mac mini can't do 1080p, or just your TV doesn't support it, so it doesn't appear on the list?

hirokazu said:
Wait, Mac mini can't do 1080p, or just your TV doesn't support it, so it doesn't appear on the list?

The mini can do 1080p, given that it can drive a 1920x1200 display from the HDMI port (and higher from the DP/TB port).

Jasoco

Banned
My TV is 720p. But it supports 1080i input. It just downscales it. And my mini outputs it fine. I just don't use it because it makes everything small and blurry since it's scaling a 1080 picture down to 768. So instead I just use 720 which stretches up to 768. (I hate my non-native resolution HDTV, but it looks good enough from across the room.)

You gotta realize, many TV's are lower resolution than many smaller displays. 1280x720 is nothing compared to the 1680x1050 20" ACD I bought in 2005. And that's only a bit smaller than a 1080 screen.

kaskade

My friend just bought his first Mac since his windows PC took a shit. How can he get the music off his iPod Touch? Most of the solutions are pay for but he's looking for free.

The_Monk

Ok GAF I found a way.

What I did was changing the resolution Both from my MBP and my Tv, then I clicked on the option to have two images separated. This way I had my TV with a fullscreen and the monitor from my Mac was as if it was a 2nd monitor. Right now my resolution (for the Tv is 1600xsomething sorry I can't remember)

Jasoco Yes I have those options. I even have 1080p option but it did nothing when I choose them.

guest1321 There is an app indeed. Its the SwitchResX but since I'm a noob on these things it's a no go for me.

I believe there are better options, but this one will fit just fine, for now.. To all you, thank you for helping!

PS: Jasoco I like you avatar since my lurker days!

Samyy said:
anyone know how I can transfer files from my pc to my mac wirelessly :(
set up your Mac for file sharing.

System Prefs --> Sharing --> File Sharing.

Add appropriate folders and user permissions. The Mac should then appear in the list of Network computers and should be accessible for drag & drop.

Dabanton

Like to say thanks to Apple Store Bluewater who got my Macbook Pro back to me pretty quickly seems my hard drive had died :(

But it feels good to have to have it back quickly, as i need it next week for work.

Would have been up shit creek if i didn't have it.

btkadams

i recently bought a new external hdd and i've finally transferred all my files to it that i want to. i have a problem though. when i initially turn the external's power on (my comp is already on), a window pops up saying that my mac failed to initialize with the drive and i can choose to initialize or ignore. 1 second later, my drive shows up as a connected drive anyways. when i click initialize it takes me to disk utility and when i verify the drive, it's fine.

this window doesn't pop up when i boot my computer with the drive already on though. is the drive going to be problematic? or is the computer just being dumb in that 1 second window before the drive is mounted? it just seems weird that i don't get the window when i boot the computer with the drive already on.

EDIT: also, another question.. is there a way to make it so the volume buttons ont he keyboard only control the itunes volume? they keys are useless to me because i use an external audio interface, so the volume buttons don't actually control any volume (because there is no system volume). it would be cool if i could tie to them to itunes since it would actually be a handy volume control.

Samyy

Dreams-Visions said:
set up your Mac for file sharing.

System Prefs --> Sharing --> File Sharing.

Add appropriate folders and user permissions. The Mac should then appear in the list of Network computers and should be accessible for drag & drop.

Thank you very much!

Dabanton

Jasoco said:
Did you have a backup? I hope?

Luckily yes. I usually do a backup every sunday or if i've done some important work so i only lost a days work if that. I also save very important files online and on another hard drive.

Jasoco

Banned
Dabanton said:
Luckily yes. I usually do a backup every sunday or if i've done some important work so i only lost a days work if that. I also save very important files online and on another hard drive.
Good for you! Having backups has made all the hard drive failures I've had in the past 10 years much more bearable.

hirokazu

CrudeDiatribe said:
The mini can do 1080p, given that it can drive a 1920x1200 display from the HDMI port (and higher from the DP/TB port).
Neat, I'm really itching for a Mac mini for use as a home server and HTPC, I love how easy it is to take it apart to upgrade the RAM and hard drive.

zychi

Banned
anyone know how to format the new macbook air's ssd that came out last week? i have to mail mine back to amazon for a messed up screen and want to delete all my info before i do.disk utility wont let me do anything and i cant figure out how to find the restore lion built into the os.

bionic77

For all of those who wanted an SSD recommendation I just installed a 115 GB OWC SSD for a 2010 15" MBP and this thing is noticeably faster.

Too early to make any calls on TRIM or reliability but all the reviews rate OWC very high in both categories.

Very easy to replace the HD on a unibody MBP too. Probably took me like 10 minutes tops (and I was going really slow and being careful). About a million times easier then on the old MBPs (before they went unibody).

Would there be any downside to running any of the CS5 stuff of adobe in parallels or vmware? I'm thinking about buying the adobe web premium set and I'm thinking of getting the windows version and then using it through a virtual machine. Do I lose anything by doing this?

Jasoco said:
What I wouldn't give for a 13" (Or 11") display with a super high resolution like twice the width and height of the current ones, and resolution independence set to 2x.
It just sucks that it seems to be worthless for current owners.

Does anyone know shortcuts on MacOS how I could do arrows pointing up or down in Open Office? Putting or painting them in OO is so slow..

Arrows like this → just up- or downwards.

123rl

I need help. I have a USB HDD attached to my Mac Mini (2011 model). I only bought it yesterday and have copied over all my photos, music etc from the HDD to the Mac. Everything was fine. Now, for no reason at all, I can't copy or move any files to or from that HDD to my Mac's HDD or vice versa. The external HDD still works fine on a Windows laptop and, when connected to the Mac will be detected. I can even play and load files from it...I just can't move or copy anything. Any ideas?

Jasoco

Banned
Edit: Dammit. I replied to a posters double post by accidentally double-posting in the same thread instead of both. The ironing is delicious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mac Mail or Sparrow for mail client? My main email account is gmail so needs to handle labels properly.

New mail in Lion seems to handle labels ok, but sparrow looks quite a lot nicer, and has slightly nicer ways to apply labels on emails. But is there any practical reason why mail would be better? e.g. syncing, handling of multiple accounts etc?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
new lion install, HD reports 35GB used. DaisyDisk, checking all top level areas adds up to about 26GB. where has the other 9GB gone? DaisyDisk already includes the sleep image and swap image. The recovery partition isn't supposed to be very big is it?

Jasoco

Banned
It's not the Recovery disk. Since that's a partition, not a file, so it wouldn't be counted at all. Does DaisyDisk count the hidden system folders too?

Note: I don't use DaisyDisk. I'm a fan of GrandPerspective. It shows files much nicer as blocks instead of pie pieces.

Try GrandPerspective.

Jasoco said:
It's not the Recovery disk. Since that's a partition, not a file, so it wouldn't be counted at all. Does DaisyDisk count the hidden system folders too?

Note: I don't use DaisyDisk. I'm a fan of GrandPerspective. It shows files much nicer as blocks instead of pie pieces.

Try GrandPerspective.
WhatSize > all

:)

Jasoco

Banned
Incorrect. They're all good. And all work COMPLETELY different ways. GrandPerspective gives the best visual representation though. WhatSize shows it all as text. And DaisyDisk uses pie charts but doesn't show you easily where the largest files are like GP does.

Also GrandPerspective is free.

wlhyE.png

I can tell exactly what file is taking up 11GB of space at a glance. I can tell where all the large files are located.

WhatSize would be my second choice.. if it didn't cost money.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
Incorrect. They're all good. And all work COMPLETELY different ways. GrandPerspective gives the best visual representation though. WhatSize shows it all as text. And DaisyDisk uses pie charts but doesn't show you easily where the largest files are like GP does.

I can tell exactly what file is taking up 11GB of space at a glance. I can tell where all the large files are located.

There's no reason a program that shows you the size of files and where they are should cost more than $2.99.
*puke*

Anyway, i'e never used these kinds of apps, but do they actually show fragmentation to any degree?

Jasoco said:

wlhyE.png

There's no reason a program that shows you the size of files and where they are should cost more than $2.99.
the fuck is that shenanigans? looks like bad artwork. :)

WhatSize is so simple to use it's criminal. it tells you the size of each folder, then each sub-folder until you drill right down to the files you want to dump.

it uses the familiar folder navigation system that all Mac users have grown accustomed to.

I've no idea why anyone would use something else, tbh.

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
the fuck is that shenanigans? looks like bad artwork. :)

WhatSize is so simple to use it's criminal. it tells you the size of each folder, then each sub-folder until you drill right down to the files you want to dump.

it uses the familiar folder navigation system that all Mac users have grown accustomed to.

I've no idea why anyone would use something else, tbh.
Because it costs money. I'm not paying $13 or $20 to look at the location of files on my drive. I LIKE seeing exactly where every file is located. I could drill down into a large folder only to find out it's ultimately just thousands of small files instead of a bunch of large ones. Or I could use GP to see exactly where the largest files are located.

The large purple area in the bottom left is my Music folder. The large files are iOS Apps.

The orange and red section on the right middle is Applications.

The top left is Documents.

The pink blob in the middle is my iPhoto Library.

User Library is above the Pictures. The blue blocks are my Steam files.

The System folder is bottom right.

The System Library is top right.

The Developer folder is middle right above the Applications.

It rearranges them all based on the size of the window.

*Pfft* Pie Charts are useless. If WhatSize had a view like this, I might buy it. Maybe. On sale for less than $8. :p

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
No. Why? They just show where files are located.

I was just curious. I understand the scope of the tool, I was just wondering if it actually did a disk scan, or just looked at file size. I guess those are two very different scans, so kind of obvious. Just curious.

I don't mind it per se, it's just that a better shading scheme would've been much more pleasing, even if it were the exact same colours, but without the corner gradient shading, and just a box. I guess something needs to differentiate the boxes, though. It just looks like something from windows 95 era:p

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I was just curious. I understand the scope of the tool, I was just wondering if it actually did a disk scan, or just looked at file size. I guess those are two very different scans, so kind of obvious. Just curious.

I don't mind it per se, it's just that a better shading scheme would've been much more pleasing, even if it were the exact same colours, but without the corner gradient shading, and just a box. I guess something needs to differentiate the boxes, though. It just looks like something from windows 95 era:p
It scans the drive and every folder and file for its size then takes that data to create blocks proportionately sized.

Also, the colors can be changed. There's about a dozen color schemes.

Q0bp9.png

Moss and Lichen. The shading is not customizable sadly.

Also, you can choose how to color it. Right now I have it set to "Level". You can also choose Extension, Name, Top Folder, File Type, Folder and Nothing.

I use Rainbow because it has the most colors and therefore the most levels.

I have a question for ya'll.

For some reason my Mac has random issues with my wifi connection. Just ten minutes ago it stopped working entirely and when I looked at the settings it told me I had a self-assigned IP address. My Ipod touch was connecting online perfectly and I reset the router, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I tried everything I could but even the network assistant was locking up on me and saying I had the incorrect password (even though I made sure it was correct). After trying about ten times it finally worked and now everything is fine with my WiFi, but do you guys have any clue what the problem was or an easy way to fix it if it happens again? It's happened before about a year ago and my Ethernet is still stuck with this self-assigned IP problem.

mrkgoo

Tkawsome said:
I have a question for ya'll.

For some reason my Mac has random issues with my wifi connection. Just ten minutes ago it stopped working entirely and when I looked at the settings it told me I had a self-assigned IP address. My Ipod touch was connecting online perfectly and I reset the router, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I tried everything I could but even the network assistant was locking up on me and saying I had the incorrect password (even though I made sure it was correct). After trying about ten times it finally worked and now everything is fine with my WiFi, but do you guys have any clue what the problem was or an easy way to fix it if it happens again? It's happened before about a year ago and my Ethernet is still stuck with this self-assigned IP problem.

Sometimes it's like that. Not sure if it's mac OS x specifically, or my old router. If that happens to me, I generally just turn the wifi off and back on again. Failing that, it probably means my router has had a spas, so I try turning that off and back on again.

Jasoco: looks marginally better :p. Yeah the idea and implementation is sound, it's just the shading itself that looks nasty.

Jasoco

Banned
Believe me, if I could get rid of the shading I would. The app, as well as its arch-nemesis, Disk Inventory X, are both based on a Windows application that actually has the option to turn down the shading. Don't know why this one doesn't.

mrkgoo said:
Sometimes it's like that. Not sure if it's mac OS x specifically, or my old router. If that happens to me, I generally just turn the wifi off and back on again. Failing that, it probably means my router has had a spas, so I try turning that off and back on again.

Thanks.

I'm just concerned since it doesn't "fix" itself and the problem comes out of nowhere. Last time it took over a week to finally get it fixed, and like I said in my post, my Ethernet is still busted because of this problem. It's a frustrating mess when the solution doesn't work for unexplained reasons one moment, and magically works the next.

mrkgoo

Tkawsome said:
Thanks.

I'm just concerned since it doesn't "fix" itself and the problem comes out of nowhere. Last time it took over a week to finally get it fixed, and like I said in my post, my Ethernet is still busted because of this problem. It's a frustrating mess when the solution doesn't work for unexplained reasons one moment, and magically works the next.

Hmm. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think it's the same thing. I've never checked to see if I had a self-assigned IP address.

I think my iPad/iPhone used to do with it on a particular network, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:

wlhyE.png

WhatSize would be my second choice.. if it didn't cost money.

ah, looks like space monger on PC. Nice. DaisyDisk is pretty and I like how you can dial into subfolders, but it is a bit difficult to read at a glance. Although it seems quite nice for when you want to drill into something in more detail.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FWIW, grand perspective reports

private - 6.17GB
apps - 5.59GB
usr - 1GB
system - 4GB
library - 5.11GB
users - 8.22GB
------------
approx 30GB total

DaisyDisk reports

system - 2.6GB
library - 5.2GB
applications - 5.5GB
private - 6.5GB
users 9GB
------------
28.8GB total (but the centre 'hub' reports 35.2GB used)

finder reports 35GB used.

I guess its hidden files etc but I'd have thought a scanning app would have still shown the space used by them?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrkgoo said:
Jasoco: looks marginally better :p. Yeah the idea and implementation is sound, it's just the shading itself that looks nasty.

while I can always appreciate aesthetics in apps, something like this is just get in - check where your usage is etc - get out.

Shading is weird but I don't really notice it.

Top Bottom