• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Firestorm

ChiboSempai said:
Current setup:
300GB HD with WinXP
750GB HD

Aiming for:
Tripple Boot
300GB HD with WinXP
750GB Partitioned to 160GB for OSX, remaining for various data
74GB Raptor (which I have but didn't install yet) with Win7

Had the 750 partitioned. Had a bunch of stuff on the data partition.

Went into OSX's Disk Utility to format the 160GB Partition to be able to install OSX on it. It says all data on this volume will be deleted, but no other data on other volumes on the same disk will be modified. I agree, it starts, then errors.

Go back into Windows, the drive isn't recognized at all. Go into Partition Magic, it says it's a bad partition. All my data is gone...

So now I've spent the last 36 hours (not continuously, a lot of it was running while I slept, had classes, etc) retrieving the data, which has proved to be tough... However I'm almost done with it.

Bottom line. I hate OSX.

I'll get this Triple Boot down soon.
Is this a Mac Pro or Hackintosh? I dunno about Boot Camp on Mac Pros, but if you're booting using Chameleon or something on a Hackintosh, unplug all but the HDD you're installed the OS to. Apparently Windows 7 and Leopard put a bit of data on all the HDDs when installing which freaks out the other OS.

LCfiner

Kimosabae said:
Can someone give me a quick rundown of iDisk and Time Machine? Are they useful? I've had my Macbook for a year and never messed with them.

-Kimo

iDisk is part of the Mobile me service that costs around 100 bucks a year. it's 20 GB of online storage. You can have your mac sync with this online drive so multiple macs can always have access to the same documents.

However, for free, you can use something like Dropbox that gives you 2 GB of online storage and does the same job.

Time machine is an integrated backup system. do you have a backup? If not, make one stat. hard drives fail.

Time machine can be used to revert to older versions of a file that you changed days or months ago and it can also be used to restore a system onto a brand new hard drive should the one you have fail.

I strongly recommend using Time Machine for "set it and forget it" backups if you don't already have a backup solution.

iDisk is decent but not worth the annual fee for Mobile Me unless you need the service's other features.

123rl

What are the main differences between the white $999 Macbook and the newer model? Is there enough to justifiy the price difference? Aside from the physical differences I don't see what is there to explain the $200 increase

LCfiner

123rl said:
What are the main differences between the white $999 Macbook and the newer model? Is there enough to justifiy the price difference? Aside from the physical differences I don't see what is there to explain the $200 increase

the screen is much better (better viewing angles, better color reproduction), the keyboard is backlit. the thing is strong like a bull and won't fall apart (the white plastic macbook has "meh" build quality). the battery life is insane. plus an SD card slot (eh)

the extra 200 dollars is well spent for the improvements in the new macbook. it's pretty much the best notebook apple has put out. ('sup 12" powerbook users).

the physical differences are more than enough to justify the price difference. it's obvious once you use one.

123rl

It sounds like it is then. Thanks for that. $200 would be worth it just for the better screen and the battery life. I'm thinking of getting one the next time I go to America. US price is $999 vs £750 (exchange rate atm would mean I'd pay about £600) means I could save a fair bit of money that way and put that money into a RAM upgrade

I've used the white Macbook before and I did like it. My friend has had one for a while. I see what you mean about the build quality though

noah111

Still Alive
Since i've been away from my Mac on this crappy Toshiba/Vista laptop I tried to make it feel more like home, did I do ok?

It has stacks and everything, this computer is temporary and it's shared so the icons might not all be mine but I still tried to make it fit right. I haven't been on my mac in so long that I forget how it specifically looks sometimes.

Kimosabae

Banned
LCfiner said:
iDisk is part of the Mobile me service that costs around 100 bucks a year. it's 20 GB of online storage. You can have your mac sync with this online drive so multiple macs can always have access to the same documents.

However, for free, you can use something like Dropbox that gives you 2 GB of online storage and does the same job.

Time machine is an integrated backup system. do you have a backup? If not, make one stat. hard drives fail.

Time machine can be used to revert to older versions of a file that you changed days or months ago and it can also be used to restore a system onto a brand new hard drive should the one you have fail.

I strongly recommend using Time Machine for "set it and forget it" backups if you don't already have a backup solution.

iDisk is decent but not worth the annual fee for Mobile Me unless you need the service's other features.

I tried setting up my TM, but failed the scan for Apple wireless devices. I don't understand, what does a wireless router have to do with backing up my hard drive?

-Kimo

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:
I tried setting up my TM, but failed the scan for Apple wireless devices. I don't understand, what does a wireless router have to do with backing up my hard drive?

-Kimo
Weird. My setup consisted of plugging in a hard drive and my computer going, " do you want to use this drive for time machine backups?" me: yes.

That was it. Maybe yours is trying to scan for time capsules?

Lourio

LCfiner said:
You can't use the OS disc that came with the newer mac as it will be looking for the newer hardware and will give you an error message before you start.

You can use the old disc or a retail copy of the os (leopard, OS X 10.5), if you happened to have one.

So the older DVD containing the OS is version 10.4.8. Should I use this to re-install or should I use the newer one that came with the newer MacBook Pro?

edit: :lol thanks mrkgoo

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, seems like I misunderstood what Time Machine is. Sorry, I'm not computer savvy at all.

I figured it was similar to "System Restore" on a Windows PC? I guess I need to get an new External hard drive? Any recommendations regarding HDD on a MAC?

-Kimo

mrkgoo

Patrick Roy said:
So the older DVD containing the OS is version 10.4.8. Should I use this to re-install or should I use the newer one that came with the newer MacBook Pro?
Read what you quoted again.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Patrick Roy said:
New disc won't work on an old mac. The install disc that comes with new macs are tied to the specific mac model they came with.

Kimosabae said:
Okay, seems like I misunderstood what Time Machine is. Sorry, I'm not computer savvy at all.

I figured it was similar to "System Restore" on a Windows PC? I guess I need to get an new External hard drive? Any recommendations regarding HDD on a MAC?

-Kimo
It's more like the OS X version of Windows Backup and Restore Center.

Kimosabae

Banned
Another question:

The 3.0 iPhone update was supposed to allow syncing both ways between notes through Mail and on the iPhone/Touch... has anyone managed to actually get this to work? I check Notes in iTunes and I still don't see the notes from my iTouch in Mail or vice versa.

-Kimo

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:

-Kimo

Time Machine is an external back up system that happens to have versioning in it. It's nearly like just a clone of your drive, but recopies every new version of a file (keep old ones for a set time schedule). You CAN use it to restore a system exactly. You just can't boot from it (that is, just plug in a time machine and boot your mac - if you're doing a system wide restore, you have to reinstall the OS, and restore from the time machine drive).

A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. Get anything you want. It just needs to be formatted for Mac OS X (journaled), and possibly partitioned as GUID. These both can be done using Disk utility in Mac OS X.

Patrick Roy: No prob. :D

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:
Another question:

The 3.0 iPhone update was supposed to allow syncing both ways between notes through Mail and on the iPhone/Touch... has anyone managed to actually get this to work? I check Notes in iTunes and I still don't see the notes from my iTouch in Mail or vice versa.

-Kimo

It works fine for me. In Mail, there is a notes area in the sidebar. Under this, there is an 'on my Mac' notes. They should be here. You can edit them here and changes show up on your iPhone too.

Kimosabae

Banned
The hell? I can't get it to work at all. I know where the Notes are located in Mail and I see them listed, but the Syncs do nothing. I've been trying for at least 30 minutes. Notes is checked in iTunes (interestingly, it unchecks itself after each Sync attempt). I even checked the Notes option at the bottom of the iTunes Info section that says:

"During the next Sync only, iTunes will replace..." etc.

Argh.

-Kye

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:
The hell? I can't get it to work at all. I know where the Notes are located in Mail and I see them listed, but the Syncs do nothing. I've been trying for at least 30 minutes. Notes is checked in iTunes (interestingly, it unchecks itself after each Sync attempt). I even checked the Notes option at the bottom of the iTunes Info section that says:

"During the next Sync only, iTunes will replace..." etc.

Argh.

-Kye
I remember similar issues, and one time it just worked and worked fine every time after that.

Try googling some answers, as I'm sure this is a common issue.

edit: Try closing mail and syncing.
Double edit: Also try syncing with mail open and the notes tab open.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, I just got it. I restarted iTunes and restarted my Touch. Don't know which one initiated its functioning, but it's syncing now. Closing Mail didn't work for me.

*edit*

Thanks everyone, for the responses.

-Kye

mrkgoo

Kimosabae said:
Okay, I just got it. I restarted iTunes and restarted my Touch. Don't know which one initiated its functioning, but it's syncing now. Closing Mail didn't work for me.

*edit*

Thanks everyone, for the responses.

-Kye

Yup, same ol' issues with same ol' solutions.

If anything ever goes wrong in computing, I follow a hierarchy of trouble shooting, if one doesn't work I move on to the next:

1) Close apps and relaunch.
2) Log out and relaunch.
3) restart and relaunch.
4) Turn off and cold restart and relaunch.
Most idiosyncratic issues are resolved by this stage.
5) Google, and search interwebs for similar issues (often leads to deeper research and learning a lot about how something works).
6) Ask on a forum.

LCfiner said:

I disagree. I like iDisc a lot. To me and my friends, iDisc and their related public folders are worth the price of MobileMe alone, easily. It's even more of a killer app than wireless sync. I have Instant access to 14 friends' public folders here on this laptop, and now, through the iDisc app on the iPhone.

I haven't used Dropbox. Does Dropbox reside in Finder just like another hard drive like iDisc and public folders do, or do you have to go through a browser to use it?

LCfiner

Pristine_Condition said:
I disagree. I like iDisc a lot. To me and my friends, iDisc and their related public folders are worth the price of MobileMe alone, easily. It's even more of a killer app than wireless sync. I have Instant access to 14 friends' public folders here on this laptop, and now, through the iDisc app on the iPhone.

I haven't used Dropbox. Does Dropbox reside in Finder just like another hard drive like iDisc and public folders do, or do you have to go through a browser to use it?

fair enough. there is use for iDisk for some people but unless you need the 20 GB of storage (or other mobile me features) I think dropbox is better for simple, low bandwidth document syncing between machines.

yeah, you have a folder on your HD that's the dropbox folder. so it shows up within Finder (or windows explorer on a PC), not a browser (but that's an option too)

dropbox also has nice version control features. i don't think idisk has those. every delta of a file you upload gets saved and you can revert back to earlier versions.

Kimosabae

Banned
When Apple decides that the iPhone/Touch should sync/communicate with desktop Macs/Macbooks seamlessly through Wifi... it's over.

-Kimo

Jasoco

Banned
Killthee said:
It's more like the OS X version of Windows Backup and Restore Center.
No, Time Machine is nothing like Windows Backup and Restore Center. Time Machine is so far advanced it's not even funny. The execution of Time Machine vs. Windows Backup and Restore Center is two different worlds.

Has anyone found a good "how to" site to install PHP on the mac internal web server. I looked around and most of them are written like shit. Do I really need to go in and change the php.ini file in a text editor and all that stuff to get it to work?

rezuth

TheyCallMeMoney said:
Has anyone found a good "how to" site to install PHP on the mac internal web server. I looked around and most of them are written like shit. Do I really need to go in and change the php.ini file in a text editor and all that stuff to get it to work?
Yes

LCfiner said:
No choice. It's machine dependant.

You have a core 2 duo in your machine so everything will run in 64 bit

only core duo and core solo machines will be in 32 bit mode

hmm so i gotta make sure my apps have a 64 bit version.

LCfiner

duracell017 said:
hmm so i gotta make sure my apps have a 64 bit version.

actually, no you don't. they'll just work in 32 bit mode. no fuss needed from the end user.

64 and 32 bit apps work side by side in 10.6

LCfiner

Blindfutur3 said:
Anyone know how to jump to the top and/or bottom of a page? There's got to be a keyboard shortct for it

Command + up arrow (or down arrow)

or the home/ end keys on the extended keyboard

Killthee

Jasoco said:
No, Time Machine is nothing like Windows Backup and Restore Center. Time Machine is so far advanced it's not even funny. The execution of Time Machine vs. Windows Backup and Restore Center is two different worlds.
Oh come on, if you're trying to explain Time Machine to a Windows user the closest thing to it is the Backup and Restore Center. They both automatically allow you to backup your files and make it easy to restore them. Sure the execution is completely different and Time Machine has a more user friendly GUI, but the end result is exactly the same.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Killthee said:
Oh come on, if you're trying to explain Time Machine to a Windows user the closest thing to it is the Backup and Restore Center. They both automatically allow you to backup your files and make it easy to restore them. Sure the execution is completely different and Time Machine has a more user friendly GUI, but the end result is exactly the same.

It's things like this that make Windows users feel like OS X's perks are negligible.

giga

Backup and Restore Center is terrible, I can't even specify to exclude certain files/folders or only backup this folder/file.

mrkgoo

Blindfutur3 said:
Thanks LCfiner! Owned a Mac for over two years now and never worked that one out :lol
I only recently found that out myself. I know there's a whole bunch of shortcut keys tout there that I'd find useful, but I just don't know them. I only found this one out after I found I used it a lot after using the NeoGAF webapp for iPhone.

Backup and Restore Center is terrible, I can't even specify to exclude certain files/folders or only backup this folder/file.

Can someone explain the distinctions between Time Machine as a backup system vs. Windows Backup and Restore Center?

giga

mrkgoo said:
Can someone explain the distinctions between Time Machine as a backup system vs. Windows Backup and Restore Center?
Time Machine is more of a versioning backup, where it stores incremental backups each hour. (or whatever you want with TimeMachineEditor)

Backup and Restore is more of a traditional software where you schedule automatic backups daily/weekly/etc.

User interface wise, the advantage is obvious with Quick Look and in-Application support.

I just looked up and it seems like Microsoft has indeed allowed specific folder/file backups in 7. That's a relief.

mrkgoo

giga said:
Time Machine is more of a versioning backup, where it stores incremental backups each hour. (or whatever you want with TimeMachineEditor)

Backup and Restore is more of a traditional software where you schedule automatic backups daily/weekly/etc.

I just looked up and it seems like Microsoft has indeed allowed specific folder/file backups in 7. That's a relief.

I was looking at the Microsoft stuff, and they have what's called a Shadow Copy.

I mean, I'm guessing there's a major difference somewhere for people to always chime in and say that it's 'nothing like Time Machine'. Or is it just in implementation?

While I'm on the subject, people should try out Time Tracker - a neat app by teh Pacifist Guy (still a work in progress, however). When you open it, it scans your Time Machine Drive and details out how large each backup is, and exactly which files were replaced.

Killthee

giga said:
Never said it was better :D
mrkgoo said:
You can exclude folders in TM while B&R will only allow you to exclude certain file types, hourly backups on TM for the past 24 hours while B&R has shadowed copies, TM has a schedule for automatic backups it sticks to while B&R allows you to choose when you want your automatic backups performed (daily, weekly, or monthly), TM allows you to preview files before restoring them, B&R allows you to create an image of a drive and restore it via B&R or a Vista disc (Disk Utility on a Mac does a better job at this than B&R), B&R allows you to restore files via Right Click -> Previous Versions while TM has its own interface you have to use, and TM has the way superior GUI compared to the B&R restore option.

mrkgoo

Killthee said:
Never said it was better :D

You can exclude folders in TM while B&R will only allow you to exclude certain file types, hourly backups on TM for the past 24 hours while B&R has shadowed copies, TM has a schedule for automatic backups it sticks to while B&R allows you to choose when you want your automatic backups performed, TM allows you to preview files before restoring them, B&R allows you to create an image of a drive and restore it via B&R or a Vista disc (Disk Utility does the same thing better on a Mac), B&R allows you to restore files via Right Click -> Previous Versions while TM has its own interface you have to use, and TM has the way superior GUI compared to the B&R restore option.

I realise there will always be option and GUI differences, but what is the technically fundamental different way in which they back up? For example, Time Machine replaces whole files if they are changed, but hard links them so when you view any previous backup folder it just looks like you are looking at the root drive.

How does Windows do it?

giga

Firestorm said:
Time Machine = Vista and 7's Shadow Copies feature.
Shadow Copy only backs up daily, therefore a file modified/deleted within the same day would leave you out of luck. It only makes shadow copies on your main drive as well, leaving yourself out of luck if that one fails.

Firestorm said:
Time Machine = Vista and 7's Shadow Copies feature.
Shadow Copy only backs up to the same drive and it does it at a long interval which makes it nearly pointless as both a backup system as well as a version control system.

Not to mention that it's only available for Business/Pro or higher as well.

Pristine_Condition said:
I've definitely enjoyed iDisc for those same reasons. Include MobileMe integration with the iLife programs and other native OSX stuff and I definitely enjoy the value of it. Again, it's not for everyone, but the sharing aspect of MobileMe is great.

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Shadow Copy only backs up to the same drive and it does it at a long interval which makes it nearly pointless as both a backup system as well as a version control system.

Not to mention that it's only available for Business/Pro or higher as well.

Ok, so the shadow copy is the version control system, but it works only on the same drive, while the restore side of things is kind of separate?

Interesting.

I did up some more reading about this stuff:
roughlydrafted said:
What's New About Time Machine
Backing up and restoring files obviously isn't new; innovations frequently improve upon things that aren’t. As reader John Davis pointed out, “James Watt invented the steam engine, but he didn't invent steam, the boiler, fire, or the fact that water expands when heated.” In the same respect, Time Machine delivers some very new things.

The first new thing about Time Machine is its simple visualization that makes restoration something users can do themselves. I've run backup services for all kinds of systems; one of the biggest problems for backup system administrators is having to perform restorations for the user.

The interface for restoring files from backup is complex and potentially dangerous, if users don't understand where they are directing their set of restored files.

Users also have to be experts in understanding where their missing data might be. Windows XP exposed backup shadow copies in the Explorer Previous Versions view. That's good for standalone files, but does nothing for users trying to restore data if they don't know where the file is. In the case of restoring contacts or photo albums, the data they are restoring isn't even a file, it's a component of a file.

A user with a backup of their iPhotos wouldn't be ready to go after restoring a copy of their iPhoto Library; they'd still need to parse through the directories looking for what they saved, which versions were newer, and struggle with merging the two.

That's the second entirely new thing Time Machine does: track data for users in a non-file centric model. The demonstrated search through Address Book, using search results, is very much a new and interesting feature. It works like people think, not as system administrators plan. Do Windows users even know that Outlook has stored their personal folder of contacts in:

C:/Documents and Settings/username/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/user.pst?

Good luck finding that and restoring it using Volume Shadow Copy: that file path is invisible by default!

A third new feature of Time Machine is that it delivers a system wide service that developers can hook into to optimize backups, so that backups only involve the real information users might want to recover. That is a key new thing: VCS just backs up a volume or set of directories without regard for how much of the data would be useful to actually archive. Developers have no mechanism to tell Windows not to back up their scratch files.

In practice, as a laptop user, I only backup approximately once a day anyway, so my version control is limited to daily snaps anyway (which get removed as well, after a week).

Pristine_Condition said:

Dropbox is ridiculously better than MobileMe iDisk. You have a Public folder, you have a Sharing feature where you can share specific folders with other Dropbox users (think about people at work sharing a project folder), and it all works through Finder and Windows Explorer in the background without you having to think about it. It also has a web version and an iPhone web app.

I don't think MobileMe iDisk has a single feature that Dropbox doesn't do better. Even just creating public web links is as easy as right-clicking the file in Finder/Explorer. 2GB for free or $100/year for 50 GB is better as well.

Killthee

mrkgoo said:
I realise there will always be option and GUI differences, but what is the technically fundamental different way in which they back up? For example, Time Machine replaces whole files if they are changed, but hard links them so when you view any previous backup folder it just looks like you are looking at the root drive.

How does Windows do it?
It's been a while since I last used B&R but iirc, B&R would first make a master full backup and a database that cataloged all the files. Any future backups would just add the files that had been changed to the master backup folder along with their info to the database file. All the backup files were thrown into folders under the master folder, given new names, and were split up if they were too big iirc. Thanks to that method of backing up you couldn't restore anything without using the B&R Center or Previous Versions and everything was dependent on the database file.

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Dropbox is ridiculously better than MobileMe iDisk. You have a Public folder, you have a Sharing feature where you can share specific folders with other Dropbox users (think about people at work sharing a project folder), and it all works through Finder and Windows Explorer in the background without you having to think about it. It also has a web version and an iPhone web app.

I don't think MobileMe iDisk has a single feature that Dropbox doesn't do better. Even just creating public web links is as easy as right-clicking the file in Finder/Explorer. 2GB for free or $100/year for 50 GB is better as well.

I'm guessing the draw of mobile me is more the other features. Just like anything else in the Mac lifestyle, the integration with your software, hardware, and mobile devices is probably what makes it shine. I don't have mobileme, so I can't really comment, however.

Top Bottom