• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

Killthee said:
It's been a while since I last used B&R but iirc, B&R would first make a master full backup and a database that cataloged all the files. Any future backups would just add the files that had been changed to the master backup folder along with their info to the database file. All the backup files were thrown into folders under the master folder, given new names, and were split up if they were too big iirc. Thanks to that method of backing up you couldn't restore anything without using the B&R Center or Previous Versions and everything was dependent on the database file.

Hmm. So kind of like making a new copy and appending the copy? (as we kind of manually do, I suppose).

This is quite different from Time Machine, which has a a copy of the root folder for every timed backup, with hard links to files that hadn't changed. This means that every folder looks EXACTLY like the root folder, even if it has only backed up 20MB since the time before. This is a huge distinction if I understand B&R.

mrkgoo said:
I'm guessing the draw of mobile me is more the other features. Just like anything else in the Mac lifestyle, the integration with your software, hardware, and mobile devices is probably what makes it shine. I don't have mobileme, so I can't really comment, however.
MobileMe is the worst thing Apple has ever made. It's an atrocious service. It is not what you'd expect.

Dropbox handles my file syncing, and Google handles syncing my calendars and contacts (which is supported in iTunes/Address Book/iCal through Google's push services).

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
MobileMe is the worst thing Apple has ever made. It's an atrocious service. It is not what you'd expect.

Dropbox handles my file syncing, and Google handles syncing my calendars and contacts (which is supported in iTunes/Address Book/iCal through Google's push services).

I was turned off mobileme from the debacle that was its launch.

I've heard it's tidied itself up, but $100 a year seems to be a lot for not much. That said, I paid $30 for a pro-FlickR account, and I'm starting to think that was kind of expensive.

LCfiner

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

you were saying?

top-10-terrible-technologies-6.jpg

:p

I know this says "OS X" help but I figured this would be close enough. I'm trying to find editing software for my animated films, is Final Cut Express good enough? I don't want anything fancy just something with an intuitive interface where I can just edit the scenes and has a nice sound editing (as in I already have the sounds made I just have to import them edit them into the film).

mrkgoo

Flying_Phoenix said:
I know this says "OS X" help but I figured this would be close enough. I'm trying to find editing software for my animated films, is Final Cut Express good enough? I don't want anything fancy just something with an intuitive interface where I can just edit the scenes and has a nice sound editing (as in I already have the sounds made I just have to import them edit them into the film).

What about iMovie 09 (ver.8)? Or if you can still get it, iMovie HD (version 6). It did a lot of basic stuff. Obviously not pro-level, if that's your requirements.

mrkgoo said:
What about iMovie 09 (ver.8)? Or if you can still get it, iMovie HD (version 6). It did a lot of basic stuff. Obviously not pro-level, if that's your requirements.

Maybe I should just try iMovie and if it gets what I need done I can just use it until (or if) my talent exceeds it and I need more legroom.

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:
you were saying?

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2007/pp/62035397/top-10-terrible-technologies-6.jpg[IMG]

:P[/QUOTE]
:lol

I can't go back to mice; trackpads are too awesome. Apple should release a portable trackpad, or integrate it into one of their portable keyboards (or even a iPhone app) so I can use desktops again

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Charred Greyface said:

I can't go back to mice; trackpads are too awesome. Apple should release a portable trackpad, or integrate it into one of their portable keyboards (or even a iPhone app) so I can use desktops again

There's an app for that.

Firestorm

Charred Greyface said:

You sir are a crazy person.

Chris R

So I realized that I had my old HDD from my dell laptop just sitting around and decided to start using it to "time machine" my machine. I formatted it with basic Mac OS Extended (did I need to do journaled?) and started it up. Currently backing up 48gb of shit, is every backup going to be this big? I only have an 80gb hdd to backup to :lol

I mean I guess I could go hardcore and tell it not to back up shit other than my music and movies like the core OS files that I'd get back in a fresh install anyways. Just seems strange to me that it basically is backing up EVERY single bit of data I have on my computer right now instead of just the stuff I added

SnakeXs

rhfb said:
So I realized that I had my old HDD from my dell laptop just sitting around and decided to start using it to "time machine" my machine. I formatted it with basic Mac OS Extended (did I need to do journaled?) and started it up. Currently backing up 48gb of shit, is every backup going to be this big? I only have an 80gb hdd to backup to :lol

I mean I guess I could go hardcore and tell it not to back up shit other than my music and movies like the core OS files that I'd get back in a fresh install anyways. Just seems strange to me that it basically is backing up EVERY single bit of data I have on my computer right now instead of just the stuff I added

It only adds what's changed from now on. HOw do you expect it to do a first backup without being pretty big?

mrkgoo

rhfb said:

Yes, you did need to have it journaled. And preferably partitioned as GUID.

Of course the first back up will be your entire drive. Why wouldn't it be? Why is it strange that it's backing up everything the first time around? How is it supposed to know what you added if it's the first time? Added since when?

After the first back up, it will do incremental backups and just backup files that have changed. It will keep hourly backups for the past day, daily backups for the past month, and prior to that, and then weekly backups prior to that. It will cycle out old backups that have 'expired', and if it determines the drive to be too full, it will start deleting the oldest weekly backups to free up space.

Chris R

Well the backup finished so I guess not making it journaled wasn't that big of an issue. I just thought it would be smart enough to know what are system files included in a base install and basically not clone over the entire drive. If I ever have a failure, I'm getting a new drive, doing a fresh install, and then bringing over whatever I want, not the entire drive.

And I can just plug the drive in every now and then right? I don't need hourly backups, I just wanted to have one decent backup just in case my drive dies.

hiro4

Does anyone here has experience with connecting an Windows keyboard to OSX?
And does OSX automatically recognize the windows button as the command key?

Any help with this is much appreciated. ^^

Chris R

hiro4 said:

Yes, I'm using my logitech keyboard just fine, OSX even picks up the mute/volume controls on the keyboard which is nice :D

DarkJC

rhfb said:
Well the backup finished so I guess not making it journaled wasn't that big of an issue. I just thought it would be smart enough to know what are system files included in a base install and basically not clone over the entire drive. If I ever have a failure, I'm getting a new drive, doing a fresh install, and then bringing over whatever I want, not the entire drive.

And I can just plug the drive in every now and then right? I don't need hourly backups, I just wanted to have one decent backup just in case my drive dies.

Why not just leave it plugged in? The hourly backups run in the background and the majority of the time amount to almost negligible amounts of data. Of course, I excluded my downloads folder from Time Machine backups, but everything else is a go. My drive is 111 GB, and after 5 months I've used 150GB total on my Time Machine volume. Keeping it plugged in keeps your one backup current up to the hour.

edit:

Yes, it does, but note that on a Mac keyboard, the order of the keys (from the outside going in) is Ctrl -> Option(Alt) -> Command as opposed to Ctrl -> Windows Key -> Alt on a Windows keyboard.

So, if you get used to using the windows key as your command key, it might take some getting used to if you ever move to a mac keyboard. If you feel like swapping them to put them in the right order, you can do so in the Keyboard area of System Preferences.

hiro4

rhfb said:
Yes, I'm using my logitech keyboard just fine, OSX even picks up the mute/volume controls on the keyboard which is nice :D

Oh nice!
What keyboard is it exactly?
Saw on the Logitech site that only a few of their keyboards is compatible with OSX but those keyboards are pricey as hell.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
hiro4 said:
Oh nice!
Saw on the Logitech site that only a few of their keyboards is compatible with OSX but those keyboards are pricey as hell.
Prolly any one of them. I have a 6 year old $30 Logitech that works with OS X. Hell, some of the keyboards have Apple symbols printed on them, too.

Phobophile

rhfb said:

I think you're missing something. The first time you back up, it will back up the entire hard drive and will take a long time. Subsequent backups will only back up what you have added since. For example, you started off with 1000 files. Your first back up will write 1000 files. Say you now have an additional 15 files since that first back up. The subsequent backup won't write 1015 files, only 15. Future backups won't take as long as the first.

And when you have a hard drive failure, put in the new drive, install the OS, and just tell Time Machine to restore. You don't have to manually drag and drop anything from the TM HDD, just enter Time Machine, choose the last restore date/time of your hard drive and click restore.

Chris R

hiro4 said:
Oh nice!
G11

DarkJC said:
Why not just leave it plugged in? The hourly backups run in the background and the majority of the time amount to almost negligible amounts of data. Of course, I excluded my downloads folder from Time Machine backups, but everything else is a go. My drive is 111 GB, and after 5 months I've used 150GB total on my Time Machine volume. Keeping it plugged in keeps your one backup current up to the hour.
Because the drive is noisy and I don't need hourly backups of anything, hell even weekly backups is probably pushing it.

Well I just unplugged the drive and it is nice to see that Time Machine is just going to do the backup next time the drive is connected :)

Phobophile said:
I think you're missing something. The first time you back up, it will back up the entire hard drive and will take a long time. Subsequent backups will only back up what you have added since. For example, you started off with 1000 files. Your first back up will write 1000 files. Say you now have an additional 15 files since that first back up. The subsequent backup won't write 1015 files, only 15. Future backups won't take as long as the first.

And when you have a hard drive failure, put in the new drive, install the OS, and just tell Time Machine to restore. You don't have to manually drag and drop anything from the TM HDD, just enter Time Machine, choose the last restore date/time of your hard drive and click restore.
I'm not missing anything, I know how backups work. I just thought that TM would be smart enough to not want to backup OS files, drivers, ect (the WHOLE drive). I mean I guess it is possible that someone might go and screw those up and need them again, but like I said, I'm just using TM as a lazy backup program. If my drive ever fails I'm going to use at most 10% of what has been backed up, I don't want it all, I'm just too damn lazy to exclude everything I don't need backed up, and I don't know where all of my programs install things to, ect.

ciD_Vain

Is there a way to manually access the pictures from my camera's SD card while it's connected? Every time I connect it, it opens up iPhoto and asks me to sync.

Phobophile

ciD_Vain said:
Is there a way to manually access the pictures from my camera's SD card while it's connected? Every time I connect it, it opens up iPhoto and asks me to sync.
You can disable auto loading of iPhoto when a camera is connected.

752c5

Just change "Connecting camera opens" to "no application"

Your SD card will mount as a Flash drive and from Finder you can browse it.

Jasoco

Banned
ciD_Vain said:
Some cameras don't mount their SD card on the desktop. Some however mount it as a hidden volume. You MIGHT be able to access it via "Go to folder" if you know the name of the SD card.

Also, you can set it to open Image Capture instead of iPhoto which allows you more options on the card. As long as you don't set it to download all automatically, delete the images from the card and quit.

Phobophile

rhfb said:
I'm not missing anything, I know how backups work. I just thought that TM would be smart enough to not want to backup OS files, drivers, ect (the WHOLE drive). I mean I guess it is possible that someone might go and screw those up and need them again, but like I said, I'm just using TM as a lazy backup program. If my drive ever fails I'm going to use at most 10% of what has been backed up, I don't want it all, I'm just too damn lazy to exclude everything I don't need backed up, and I don't know where all of my programs install things to, ect.
The thing is if my hard drive crashes right now, I want it to be 100% the exact state is now, from configuration files to whatever caches applications use. I'm glad the WHOLE drive gets backed up, even the files I don't know about, because that means one click of the mouse will restore me to where I am now.

And if you don't care about the system files, just choose whatever directories you want backed up. You don't need to back up the entire drive.

DarkJC

Phobophile said:
The thing is if my hard drive crashes right now, I want it to be 100% the exact state is now, from configuration files to whatever caches applications use. I'm glad the WHOLE drive gets backed up, even the files I don't know about, because that means one click of the mouse will restore me to where I am now.

And if you don't care about the system files, just choose whatever directories you want backed up. You don't need to back up the entire drive.

If his drive is noisy I can see it being annoying leaving it on and connected all the time, but I agree with you. My drive is pretty silent so there's absolutely no reason to avoid leaving it connected all the time. Why risk having to redo/lose 2 weeks worth of stuff because you forgot to plug the drive in?

mrkgoo

rhfb said:
G11

Because the drive is noisy and I don't need hourly backups of anything, hell even weekly backups is probably pushing it.

Well I just unplugged the drive and it is nice to see that Time Machine is just going to do the backup next time the drive is connected :)

But what about updates and stuff you've installed? The way Time Machine works, it's clear what it backs up - everything. If the backup were to only backup user files, then in the event of a crash, you'll have to dig up the install disc, reinstall, update the software, restore whatever files you've lost (trying to figure out what that was etc). By backing up everything, in the even of a major crash, you just stick the disc in and say "restore". Done, back to where you left off (after hours of restoring). Apple just want to keep it simple.

I think that's the best backup solution, knowing that everything is backed up. The system isn't a static entity. I get what you're saying, you only want your own files backed up, but Time Machine is much more than just a backup system for your files. Provided it works, you can pretty much do nearly anything to your computer and if something goes wrong, you can restore it back to where it was, not just recover lost files.

Of course it takes ages to restore a lot of data, but let's say you do an OS update, but it was corrupted and corrupts a bunch of stuff, or even just one thing - you can go back.

Of course, you can also reinstall, but I guess Time Machine saves you from having to reinstall. Personally, I find it reassuring.

If you want to just backup your own files, and not worry about the system and versioning, then just copy your user directory over to an external drive ('traditional' backup).

Is there a good MP3 tagger like tag&rename for windows. Don't come with itunes because that is crap. I want to get the tags from the filename and something like search from amazon. tag&rename is the perfect one but as always finding good software on mac is crap because there is none. even a simple thing as msn is shit no matter how good the operating system is.

SnakeXs

Commander William Adama said:
Is there a good MP3 tagger like tag&rename for windows. Don't come with itunes because that is crap. I want to get the tags from the filename and something like search from amazon. tag&rename is the perfect one but as always finding good software on mac is crap because there is none. even a simple thing as msn is shit no matter how good the operating system is.

Nothing for you on the tagger, but software is crap? You aren't good at finding it. Adium is the best IMing client in the world. It does MSN. And AIM. And Facebook. And just about everything else. Come on.

Tieno

Is there a better flash plugin for OS X? My macbook's cpu works way harder for flash video than any other format at at higher resolutions.

Woodsy

Banned
Tieno said:
Is there a better flash plugin for OS X? My macbook's cpu works way harder for flash video than any other format at at higher resolutions.

I have a G4 Mini and Safari sucks ASS on sites with Flash - chug chug chug. I had to switch to Firefox.

Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

panda21

i dont what it is you want exactly but try these:

sbooth.org

LCfiner

Tieno said:

bwah ha ha ha ha ha!

welcome to the suck, kid!

:(

Tieno said:

There is no such thing as a good flash plugin for any operating system. Even on Windows, the post prevalent platform, Flash is still terrible. I can run a 1080p Quicktime video on my MacBook (early 2008, 2.4Ghz, Intel gfx) and the machine runs silent, but 15 seconds into a low-quality YouTube video, my fans start spinning.

ciD_Vain

Phobophile said:
You can disable auto loading of iPhoto when a camera is connected.

http://qkpic.com/752c5[img]

Just change "Connecting camera opens" to "no application"

Your SD card will mount as a Flash drive and from Finder you can browse it.[/QUOTE]
unfortunately, my iPhoto preferences looks different, probably due to having iPhoto 6.0.6., and doesn't have that option.

[QUOTE=Jasoco]Some cameras don't mount their SD card on the desktop. Some however mount it as a hidden volume. You MIGHT be able to access it via "Go to folder" if you know the name of the SD card.

Also, you can set it to open Image Capture instead of iPhoto which allows you more options on the card. As long as you don't set it to download all automatically, delete the images from the card and quit.[/QUOTE]
Fortunately, thanks to you, i found the option Phobophile was talking about in the preferences of Image Capture! So thanks to the both of you.

Tieno said:

Well Flash sucks in general. And it sucks significantly more on OS X. The best advice I can give is switch your browser to a Mozilla based one like Camino or FireFox (I don't know if that will ease how much your CPU works but it will improve performance if my experience is anything to go by)

But from what I've heard Apple is looking forward on something replacing Flash. CSS3 was it?

giga said:
Use ClickToFlash or this Greasemonkey/Greasekit script to change Youtube to play the videos with Quicktime.

So essentially when I go to Youtube.com and watch a video it will be played in Quicktime format instead of its usual format?

MrSeaneyC

Click to flash is awesome, I love it! No more 80degrees whilst browsing the web due to stupid flash ads. Also can default to h264 when available (youtube) this is so good!

Top Bottom