• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

hard to know where to ask this question without starting a new thread but for weeks now Youtube has been nearly non-playable on SAFARI

I just get a spin to load the video and it counts up to like 4 seconds on a black and arrow spin and repeats its count from 0-4 seconds but never starts the video

anyone else had issues with Safari and Youtube

Chrome and Youtube works fine go figure

YouTube's native HTML5 player is sucking donkeyballs for me in Safari. Seems to be loading that more and more over the perfect QuickTime widget that the YouTube5 extrnsion used to provide 100% of the time.

So, no ideas but I har noticed it too. Might be worth checking out a Webkit Nightly if it this problem was created by the most recent version of Safari.

YouTube's native HTML5 player is sucking donkeyballs for me in Safari. Seems to be loading that more and more over the perfect QuickTime widget that the YouTube5 extrnsion used to provide 100% of the time.

So, no ideas but I har noticed it too. Might be worth checking out a Webkit Nightly if it this problem was created by the most recent version of Safari.

I would be considered a noob on what exactly checking Webkit Nightly means...
but I still like to use Safari.

I get a lot of errors on GAF using Chrome you know that sad face do you want to quit this pop-up that happens too often to use Chrome exclusively

but youtube links have become useless on safari and I find myself copy pasting to chrome just to play a video
I use Colloquy and I think it's great.

http://colloquy.info/

same here very nice

I would be considered a noob on what exactly checking Webkit Nightly means...
but I still like to use Safari.

Webkit is Apple's open-source rendering engine that powers Safari, Chrome, and other browsers (the Steam client, IIRC).

You can download nightly builds (Webkit Nightly) that run the latest rendering engine inside Safari on your Mac. If the problems you and I are seeing are Webkit problems, they may be fixed already. Certainly worth a shot, it doesn't hurt anything, as it installs and is run seperatelu from Safari.

http://nightly.webkit.org/

So in order to get onto the wifi at work I have to manually set up the IPv4 stuff under Network Preferences -> Advanced. Every morning I have to enter an IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, Router, and a DNS Server address. I don't know why and I don't know what any of that means.

The problem is that I can't connect to any other wifi when I have these settings up, and so I have to enter in all of this information every day when I get to work and then go back into the settings and clear the fields/set IPv4 to automatic in order to get onto the wifi at home. This is really annoying.

My phone can remember that in order to connect to the wifi at work it needs these settings but in order to connect to the wifi at home it can just use automatic stuff. Is there a way to have my Macbook Pro remember to treat this wifi network different than my home network? I shouldn't have to enter a bunch of information every time I connect to this router, there has to be some way for OSX to remember and do it on its own...

You should add a 'Location' for work (call it 'work') and enter the wi-fi settings there. When you go home, switch the location back to automatic (and make sure they're on automatic the first time). If you currently have the default 'automatic' set for your work, you can duplicate it.

You can quickly switch Locations from the Apple menu.

btkadams

hey guys, quick question about thunderbolt.

lacie 6tb thunderbolt raid hdd setup

it says it has thunderbolt ports on the back for daisy chaining. i currently have my thunderbolt on my mbp used up by a display port cable plugged into my external monitor. would i be able to plug the display port cable into the back of this external hdd and have it work?? sorry if this is stupid. i would need to be sure.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
hey guys, quick question about thunderbolt.

lacie 6tb thunderbolt raid hdd setup

it says it has thunderbolt ports on the back for daisy chaining. i currently have my thunderbolt on my mbp used up by a display port cable plugged into my external monitor. would i be able to plug the display port cable into the back of this external hdd and have it work?? sorry if this is stupid. i would need to be sure.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10573#a4

Thunderbolt technology is also mini-DisplayPort compatible. For example, you can connect a display and a 2big to your Mac via a single Thunderbolt cable. (Thunderbolt cables can be purchased separately from apple.com).

You should add a 'Location' for work (call it 'work') and enter the wi-fi settings there. When you go home, switch the location back to automatic (and make sure they're on automatic the first time). If you currently have the default 'automatic' set for your work, you can duplicate it.

You can quickly switch Locations from the Apple menu.

Ahh works like a charm. Thanks!

deim0s

Anyone using Mailplane?

I'm using Mailplane and tightly integrated to my daily workflow. For some reason things stop loading/white pages and just stopped loading my email accounts and when switching between accounts.

I've tried resetting the gmail session, completely uninstalled mailplane (and it's files), used the recent release, and the preview release and it still doesn't work as it should.

Checking the console, there are some loading and timeout errors from google via Mailplane. But using the ol' browser loads gmail fine. I've also tried downloading Sparrow - but doesn't want to log-in to my account (error in accessing/logging into gmail).

I tried also to create a new user and tried Sparrow there - still doesn't want to login.

So, any advice to where I could look into?

btkadams

does apple sell thunderbolt cables in the physical stores? i ordered the thunderbolt external from the online store, and it should be shipping immediately. it doesn't come with the thunderbolt cable though, and i noticed the online store lists them as shipping in 1-2 weeks rather than in stock... what's the deal? i don't want to have a drive sitting here for a couple weeks with nothing to connect to it lol.

edit: contacted apple and yes, they do. i suppose that is obvious, since they sell devices at the store that use the cables, but i just thought it was bizarre that they weren't listed as in stock on the website.

The_Monk

Fellow GAFfers, I would like to know if there is any way to play all of my Windows Steam games on the Mac side.

I have bootcamp, but I would like to play all the game in the Mac side. Is this possible? The games are mostly light/indie/small games so I'm not looking for performance, more comfort.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sean

Banned
Fellow GAFfers, I would like to know if there is any way to play all of my Windows Steam games on the Mac side.

I have bootcamp, but I would like to play all the game in the Mac side. Is this possible? The games are mostly light/indie/small games so I'm not looking for performance, more comfort.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I can't say for sure as I've never used it, but I think Crossover does what you want. It looks like their site has a little search thing where you can enter an app and see if it's compatible. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

Pachimari

Is it normal that, when the screen is off (sleeping, turned off), that I can see the Apple logo that is on the back, through the screen?? I can hover my finger behind the screen and see it ON the screen. Is this normal?

mrkgoo

Is it normal that, when the screen is off (sleeping, turned off), that I can see the Apple logo that is on the back, through the screen?? I can hover my finger behind the screen and see it ON the screen. Is this normal?

If the light coming through the back is strong enough, sure.

The light that powers the logo is the same one that backlights the LCD. Since both panes are translucent by their very design, then of course it is possible to have light pass completely through.

Has anyone seen any reviews or impressions on the new AirPort Express yet? I'm really curious as to how good its wireless is, given how notoriously bad the last two Expresses were. I'm considering maybe buying one of those instead of an AppleTV, because if it's like the old Expresses, it can output multiple music frequencies, and not just the 48kHz of the AppleTV.

Webkit is Apple's open-source rendering engine that powers Safari, Chrome, and other browsers (the Steam client, IIRC).

You can download nightly builds (Webkit Nightly) that run the latest rendering engine inside Safari on your Mac. If the problems you and I are seeing are Webkit problems, they may be fixed already. Certainly worth a shot, it doesn't hurt anything, as it installs and is run seperatelu from Safari.

http://nightly.webkit.org/

thanks I'm going to see if this works because even having issues with gmail now only on Safari

btkadams

hey guys, what's going on with my colours? my mac all of a sudden has weird graphic effects happening.

EAH4Y.png

c4e4A.png

Does anyone have Reeder for mac?

I can't get the two finger swipe thing to work. Shouldn't the article i have selected open in a web browser when i swipe right with two fingers?

Sean

Banned
hey guys, what's going on with my colours? my mac all of a sudden has weird graphic effects happening.

EAH4Y.png

c4e4A.png

Those are supposed to be shadows I believe, but not sure what happened to cause that. You can try installing the latest OSX combo update which I think would replace/fix any missing system files. If not it might be an issue with your graphics card.

btkadams

Those are supposed to be shadows I believe, but not sure what happened to cause that.

yeah, they're definitely supposed to be shadows. it's weird. there's a grainy visual look to a lot now, as if i'm running in fewer colours than normal. HOWEVER, half of what i see is unaffected (icons for example), so i don't know if it's something simple like i'm running in a weird colour profile. i'm not sure; i don't know much about this sort of thing haha.

Go into the Display preferences and set it to millions of colors and the default colour profile.

Looks like thousands of colors to me instead of millions.

btkadams

Go into the Display preferences and set it to millions of colors and the default colour profile.

Looks like thousands of colors to me instead of millions.
That option doesn't exist in my display preferences. :(

I also noticed that only my MacBook Pro's display is doing this. I have an external monitor that has always been plugged in, and it shows everything normally.

Ok so I've been enjoying my iMac since january, and I'm absolutely loving the machine.

But I have some small issues I don't know how to fix:

1. The first being that every time I start my Mac upon booting I get a prompt where I have give allowance to iTunes for incoming connections. It also says something about Firewall settings blabla. I get this message every single time after choosing my user account when booting. Is there anyway to disable it? I've checked Firewall settings in the Preference panel, and also iTunes settings itself, am I missing something here?

2. Is it normal for Safari that when you switch between tabs I sometimes get a blank screen instead of the page that just loaded/was open for a while (doesn't seem time constraint)? Sometimes the page comes up again after a few seconds, sometimes I have to do a manual refresh. Mind you I have 12GB of RAM in the Mac, so I don't think that's the cause of this. Anyone have an idea/similar issue?

3. (Logic Pro 9 related) When I have this program open and I minimize the main window (with all the tracks) I can't seem to get the screen back again no matter how hard I try. I have to quit the app completely and then boot it again, or I can also create a new project. But when I have Logic Pro running in the background and I right click on its icon in the dock, then 'show all windows', when I then select the main window it just doesn't come up, ever. Lion or Logic related issue? And how to fix this?

Any help's appreciated :).

njean777

Ok so I've been enjoying my iMac since january, and I'm absolutely loving the machine.

But I have some small issues I don't know how to fix:

1. The first being that every time I start my Mac upon booting I get a prompt where I have give allowance to iTunes for incoming connections. It also says something about Firewall settings blabla. I get this message every single time after choosing my user account when booting. Is there anyway to disable it? I've checked Firewall settings in the Preference panel, and also iTunes settings itself, am I missing something here?

2. Is it normal for Safari that when you switch between tabs I sometimes get a blank screen instead of the page that just loaded/was open for a while (doesn't seem time constraint)? Sometimes the page comes up again after a few seconds, sometimes I have to do a manual refresh. Mind you I have 12GB of RAM in the Mac, so I don't think that's the cause of this. Anyone have an idea/similar issue?

3. (Logic Pro 9 related) When I have this program open and I minimize the main window (with all the tracks) I can't seem to get the screen back again no matter how hard I try. I have to quit the app completely and then boot it again, or I can also create a new project. But when I have Logic Pro running in the background and I right click on its icon in the dock, then 'show all windows', when I then select the main window it just doesn't come up, ever. Lion or Logic related issue? And how to fix this?

Any help's appreciated :).

1. Have no clue.

2. This is normal for Safari I get this sometimes also.

3. Have no clue.

IF nobody can help you try the forums at macrumors.com

Ashhong

Hey guys, I have an issue with Apple's customer care, where they basically screwed me out of a replacement battery, and want to complain so they will notice and do the right thing. I obviously can't email Steve anymore...who can I complain to? I tried calling Apple Care but no luck.

Also, does anybody know if a mid-2009 MBP 13" shares the memory ram with the graphics?

mrkgoo

Hey guys, I have an issue with Apple's customer care, where they basically screwed me out of a replacement battery, and want to complain so they will notice and do the right thing. I obviously can't email Steve anymore...who can I complain to? I tried calling Apple Care but no luck.

Also, does anybody know if a mid-2009 MBP 13" shares the memory ram with the graphics?

Depends what you mean by 'screwed' you. In my experience, being honest and up front gets you places with apple, and being confrontational does not.

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone know of an app that can put my MBP to sleep automatically once the charge has reached a certain level? I tend to keep mine on all night to download whatever I have queue, but the trouble is the electricity tends to cut out in the morning for several hours and I hate waking up to find my computer shut down. Restoring is a bitch and I lose a lot. So I would rather have it just auto-sleep if the battery doesn't last the outtage period.

Anyway I could do that?

Ashhong

Depends what you mean by 'screwed' you. In my experience, being honest and up front gets you places with apple, and being confrontational does not.

About a year ago, my battery said "service required" so I took it in. Dude at the Store replaced my cable and did a power reset, I think it was called SMC or something. The warning message went away, but would come back every once in a while. I didn't think anything of it because it was kind of uncommon and doing that reset just fixed it. Plus my warranty was over (I have a 2009 MBP).

The message has been on for a month or so now and wont go away. I finally schedule an appointment and took it in again. They said that the battery was now 15 cycles over the limit, and they wouldn't replace it. It was at 415 instead of 400. I of course was very polite, because like you, I found that Apple has great service and always ready to help. I explained what I had gone through a year ago and he said to contact Apple Care, because he couldn't do anything.

I contacted Apple Care and they said that there was no notes from my appointment a year ago, and because my battery is over the cycle limit now, they couldn't help me either. Could I have been a little smarter about it and just taken it back to Apple a year ago? Probably. But I still feel like they could replace a simple battery for me. I am not too upset about it, and will buy if I have to, but I want to at least try and get it corrected.

Anyone know of an app that can put my MBP to sleep automatically once the charge has reached a certain level? I tend to keep mine on all night to download whatever I have queue, but the trouble is the electricity tends to cut out in the morning for several hours and I hate waking up to find my computer shut down. Restoring is a bitch and I lose a lot. So I would rather have it just auto-sleep if the battery doesn't last the outtage period.

Anyway I could do that?

If the power cuts out, then the computer goes on battery mode right? Can't you just set the computer to go to sleep after a few minutes when idling on the battery?

Flo_Evans

Ugh. I finally got around to upgrading to loin (a month before mountain loin lol) and it has borked my adobe CS5 installs. Had to uninstall and reinstall the entire production package! Photoshop premiere and after effects seem to work now but illustrator still crashes on startup. :(

Any ideas? These are legit copies with all the latest updates. Pain in my ass!

mrkgoo

About a year ago, my battery said "service required" so I took it in. Dude at the Store replaced my cable and did a power reset, I think it was called SMC or something. The warning message went away, but would come back every once in a while. I didn't think anything of it because it was kind of uncommon and doing that reset just fixed it. Plus my warranty was over (I have a 2009 MBP).

The message has been on for a month or so now and wont go away. I finally schedule an appointment and took it in again. They said that the battery was now 15 cycles over the limit, and they wouldn't replace it. It was at 415 instead of 400. I of course was very polite, because like you, I found that Apple has great service and always ready to help. I explained what I had gone through a year ago and he said to contact Apple Care, because he couldn't do anything.

I contacted Apple Care and they said that there was no notes from my appointment a year ago, and because my battery is over the cycle limit now, they couldn't help me either. Could I have been a little smarter about it and just taken it back to Apple a year ago? Probably. But I still feel like they could replace a simple battery for me. I am not too upset about it, and will buy if I have to, but I want to at least try and get it corrected.

If the power cuts out, then the computer goes on battery mode right? Can't you just set the computer to go to sleep after a few minutes when idling on the battery?

Ah I see. I've had a different experience. I had a 2008 non-unibody MacBook pro. Bought a new battery for it while I was in the US. I noted that it was a different manufacturer and not lo after started getting the service battery warnings. Part of it can be that snow leopard actually had that warning whereas previous OS tended not to report it.

Anyway, it was annoying and still in whatever warranty for the battery so I called in at a local repair centre in NZ (we have no official apple presence). They were happy to replace it. However when they contacted the distributor, they said thy couldn't without a receipt. I had an email from the store I bought it from, but not a real receipt. The repair centre wanted to help but couldn't without approval from distributor. However, they asked me to contact apple Asia directly, so I did. My case got escalated and they said I could get a free replacement. They even had it sent to Taiwan so I could pick it up from a reseller while I was on holiday!

But yeah, a slightly similar but totally different story.

And yes, you're right - power management settings are separate for adaptor connected vs on battery power, so you should b able to set it to sleep when on battery - problem is, sleep only happens I the computer is inactive, Whig it won't be I it's downloading.

Flo_Evans

bleh. I need illustrator to work! you know for work!

I think time machine is fucking with the installer. Gonna try disabling it and installing...

Is there any way to make time machine not do hourly backups? I think daily would be fine.

btkadams

when will apple start selling lossless on itunes?? my life would be so much easier if i could actually purchase music away from my computer (my ipad/iphone) to listen to right away. i buy all of my music on cd or from beatport.com because of this. i just can't allow myself to pay cd price for less than cd quality.

someone should start an online petition. i know lossless users are not the majority, but it is increasingly more common for people to use flac and other lossless formats now. it shouldn't be ignored when other music stores offer it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
bleh. I need illustrator to work! you know for work!

I think time machine is fucking with the installer. Gonna try disabling it and installing...

Is there any way to make time machine not do hourly backups? I think daily would be fine.

perhaps move away from Time Machine and use BackupList+ instead? http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21413/backuplist+

i've used it for years to clone 3 drive partitions every week or so with nary a complaint - main system/app drive, media drive with music and movies and the last with my RAW pics. documents are backed up regularly through Dropbox.

Flo_Evans

perhaps move away from Time Machine and use BackupList+ instead? http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21413/backuplist+

i've used it for years to clone 3 drive partitions every week or so with nary a complaint - main system/app drive, media drive with music and movies and the last with my RAW pics. documents are backed up regularly through Dropbox.

IDK, that didn't fix it either... gonna try and download a "trial" of CS6 and see if I can get that to run.

thank you! this actually worked!!

just installed an ssd into my early 2011 mbp. it had a 5200-5400rpm (i forget) 750gb hdd but now has a 256gb ssd with my media and stuff all on a thunderbolt external. holy crap this thing is fast now. it's like a whole new computer.

Bah, shut up. I've been so tempted to switch to an SSD on my 2009 MBP but I keep holding off because I might want to update in the next year or so since it's getting old and your post isn't helping. ;(

btkadams

Bah, shut up. I've been so tempted to switch to an SSD on my 2009 MBP but I keep holding off because I might want to update in the next year or so since it's getting old and your post isn't helping. ;(

well, if you're buying a new computer in the next year, it's probably not worth buying a new hdd now. i'm keeping mine for the next couple years at least, so that's why i felt the need to upgrade. i also think the faster drive may solve the song-caching issue i've had in ableton when mixing live (i have 8gb of ram and a fast processor, so i'm not sure it could be either of those).

btkadams

is there a reason why reading mail in the apple mail app ios/mac doesn't sync with the respective app on the other platform? i don't understand this. when i read an email on my gmail account in the ios email app, it marks it as read in my google account online, but it doesn't mark it as read in my mac mail application. what's with that? my ipad/iphone will mark them as read in both apps, so they obviously know how to do this across devices.

well, if you're buying a new computer in the next year, it's probably not worth buying a new hdd now. i'm keeping mine for the next couple years at least, so that's why i felt the need to upgrade. i also think the faster drive may solve the song-caching issue i've had in ableton when mixing live (i have 8gb of ram and a fast processor, so i'm not sure it could be either of those).

Ya, which is why I keep going back and forth. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade yet and any speed issues I have now might be fixed by caving and buying the SSD which is why I'm torn on what to do. I'm just jealous is all. :(

is there a reason why reading mail in the apple mail app ios/mac doesn't sync with the respective app on the other platform? i don't understand this. when i read an email on my gmail account in the ios email app, it marks it as read in my google account online, but it doesn't mark it as read in my mac mail application. what's with that? my ipad/iphone will mark them as read in both apps, so they obviously know how to do this across devices.

What email are you using? Apparently it's a POP/IMAP thing and how they handle syncing. This is what I found online.

I don't think hotmail has free IMAP support. Hence this is normal. Pop downloads emails and only deletes from your server if you set this. IMAP would synchronize back to the server so all of your devices are on the same page.

If you'd like IMAP I suggest getting something like a gmail account. You can then 'tell' gmail to retrieve your hotmail emails and can even send them in a way that it looks like they come from your hotmail account. Pretty seamless...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RE: Setting Timemachine backup interval

I was going to suggest using terminal with this code
Code:
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 3600
//replace 3600 with how many seconds you want

But apparently that doesn't work in Lion.

You could try this:
http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Are you connecting via IMAP or POP? You want IMAP, but GMail supports both so it may be configured with POP.

Top Bottom