• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

wait, so when you read a message in mac mail, it syncs as read on your ios device? man, i wish i had asked this a long time ago. i'll have to check when i get home.

Ya, as long as the email provider uses imap which google definitely does but things like hotmail (unless they changed) don't use imap and so it can't sync because it sends/collects the data differently so it's not sending it back to the server to say it's been read/deleted.

So, I have owned my first MBP for 1 day, and this is my first time using iMovie (video editing in general). It is telling me that it is going to take 22 hours to finalize my project. It is a 119 minute home video. Please tell me this isn't normal.

Edit: Found a tip to export it instead. It is still going to take 5 hours. I had no idea.
Edit2: Found another tip to share it to iDVD, will take 45 minutes. I just want to burn a DVD!

Alchemy

So, I have owned my first MBP for 1 day, and this is my first time using iMovie (video editing in general). It is telling me that it is going to take 22 hours to finalize my project. It is a 119 minute home video. Please tell me this isn't normal.

Edit: Found a tip to export it instead. It is still going to take 5 hours. I had no idea.
Edit2: Found another tip to share it to iDVD, will take 45 minutes. I just want to burn a DVD!

What is the resolution of the video you're editing and how much data are you burning on the DVD?

Alchemy

It's 1080P 1920x1080. The data, I don't know... it came to 119 minutes. Can I not trust the minutes?

I'm not sure about video quality options present in iMovie, but from what I've seen of video editing in general is that it takes a while to process 1080p video and a lot of resources.

Futureman

how do you zoom in on the screen without a Mac trackpad?

I think you held command + two finger move on a Apple laptop, but I'm using an iMac now with a wacom tablet.

it has a mouse.... I thought it would be hold command + scroll wheel, but that doesn't work.

laika09

how do you zoom in on the screen without a Mac trackpad?

I think you held command + two finger move on a Apple laptop, but I'm using an iMac now with a wacom tablet.

it has a mouse.... I thought it would be hold command + scroll wheel, but that doesn't work.

Command+scroll works on my generic mouse.

The Wacom mouse probably uses the same driver package as the tablet, so it behaves differently.

Tabris

I asked this before but no one really had a good answer (and I was talking specifically about a NAS instead of the below setup) and I'm switching as soon as the Retina Display MBP is in stock at my local Apple store.

I want to set up an external Western Digital MyBook 3TB external drive connected to my Linksys Wireless Router (ea4500). I need to have it accessible to both my Windows 7 HTPC and my MBP.

I'll have no issues setting up SMB shares on this hard drive through the router and then being able to access them on my HTPC. The question is, is there any issues with this using Mac OSX? (I haven't used Mac OSX for around 5-6 years now)

Mum just got the new MBA 11". She's gonna be using it regularly for FaceTime with relatives, so I've been doing some test calls with my iPad to see how it will ring/not ring in various states.

So it appears that it will not ring if:

1) the screen is closed

2) it has been put in 'sleep' mode (even with screen open).

However if you ring for long enough, it will show that you've missed a call on the dock icon when you wake it up.

And it will ring if:

1) the screen is on (natch)

2) the screen has turned off by itself to conserve battery (a state that I assumed was the same as 'sleep', but I guess not).

So that pretty confusing. I had a quick look around preferences to see if there was a way to adjust this, but I can't find anything.

Ideally for mum, an incoming FaceTime call would ring even if the screen was closed. But at the very least, it should be able to ring from Sleep with the screen open. And considering it shows missed calls after it wakes, this should be possible?

giga

There's no constant internet connection on when asleep. That would be a constant battery drain. You could just put it on AC and let the display sleep but not the computer.

There's no constant internet connection on when asleep. That would be a constant battery drain. You could just put it on AC and let the display sleep but not the computer.
But but but... if I do a FaceTime call from the MBA to my 'sleeping' iPad, it always rings. That means my iPad is constantly connected to wi-fi right? Yet the battery drain is minimal.

mrkgoo

iPads use extremely efficient hardware.

I bet while it's in sleep it's only connected by wifi to the push notification system, which alerts it in whatever fashion to "wake" and ring, but yeah, stupidly efficient. It's why Apple chose to do a lot of things, including the centralised push notification system, the way they do "multitasking" etc...it's all in the name of better battery life.

Inherently, the iPad is never really asleep fully, whereas a Mac will go to sleep.

It's an interesting notion to have a MAc do what an iPad does, though.

Incidentally, there are certain channels that ARE available to a Mac while asleep. For example, if you router supports it, it can actually wake on LAN activity (used for "Back to my MAc", for instance). And obviously thins like Bluetooth can still be on, as bluetooth mice clicks will wake a mac. These are probably exceptions, however - not sure if you can connect those services with FaceTime activity.

I also remember that before Lion, you could wake a mac by moving the trackpad, which no longer works. Or was that just for the display?

rinse82

I'm going to throw my 2011 MBP out the window soon.

Constant Wi-Fi drops; I'm lucky if Wi-Fi works for more than 5 mins.

Seems to be a widespread issue based on all the posts on the Apple Support forums. Seems like the issue is tied to Lion.

I've essentially tried every solution posted on the internet and still nothing will work. All my other devices in the house connect to my Wireless network fine (iPhone, iPad, Windows PC's) so it can't be a routing issue.

Something fucked up happened with Lion.

Seems to be a widespread issue based on all the posts on the Apple Support forums. Seems like the issue is tied to Lion.

I've essentially tried every solution posted on the internet and still nothing will work. All my other devices in the house connect to my Wireless network fine (iPhone, iPad, Windows PC's) so it can't be a routing issue.

I don't understand why you don't just call Apple and have them replace/fix it?
You're still under warranty, no?

mug

I had WiFi problems with a specific router even though other devices worked fine on there. I bought a new/better router and the problem was solved.

It's hardware. Get it fixed/replaced under warranty. My friend's '11 MacBook Pro just was (he actually went through four motherboards in a month: memory slot died, the new mobo had constant WiFi drops, the next overheat and shutdown, finally the latest works).

rinse82

I had WiFi problems with a specific router even though other devices worked fine on there. I bought a new/better router and the problem was solved.

That's a pretty ridiculous notion though, no?

I have a pretty good router (WRT320N); seems a bit ridiculous that I need to go out and buy a new/better router to get Wi-Fi working on a computer made in 2011.

So close to Mountain Lion.

I want improved OS smoothness/"snappy-ness".

I upgraded my SSD in my 15" two weeks ago, and I decided to restore my Applications Directory from Time Machine after a clean install until ML comes out, and that was a huge mistake. My formerly glitch-free system is now buggy as heck. I even had one Kernel Panic.

rinse82

Speaking of Mountain Lion, I installed the developer preview 4 and my wifi works again, wtf. Albeit, I have to renew the DHCP every now and then, but it works.

So i guess this confirms Lion borks wifi for some mac-router combinations

I just set up Mail to access mum's Gmail account, so she doesn't have to get to it through Safari. It was working well, until mum said 'where have all my sent messages gone?'.

Mail appares to only display messages sent from the app - the rest are there if I access Gmail through Safari, but I'm looking for a way to retrieve old sent messages in Mail.

On my iPad, I didn't have to do anything - the Mail app shows me my recent sent messages, and at the bottom of the list there is the option to 'load more' from the server. I assumed it would be the same on OSX Mail, but I can't find the option. Any tips welcome.

I just set up Mail to access mum's Gmail account, so she doesn't have to get to it through Safari. It was working well, until mum said 'where have all my sent messages gone?'.

Mail appares to only display messages sent from the app - the rest are there if I access Gmail through Safari, but I'm looking for a way to retrieve old sent messages in Mail.

Open up the IMAP folders from GMail in Mail.app. Find 'Sent' and select it. From the Mailbox menu, hit 'use this mailbox for' > 'sent'.

Done (except repeat for trash, drafts, junk).

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mail generally works fine for GMail, but if you want something that's completely hassle-free and offers full support for Labels and other Gmail-centric stuff, take a look at Sparrow in the App Store.

Open up the IMAP folders from GMail in Mail.app. Find 'Sent' and select it. From the Mailbox menu, hit 'use this mailbox for' > 'sent'.

Done (except repeat for trash, drafts, junk).
Ahhh. Took me ages to figure out what you meant, but I managed it. I forgot that the 'Sent' folder of Mail.app would be listed separately to the 'Sent Mail' of Gmail.

Thanks!

KingKong

so any clues to when Mountain Lion is coming other than just sometime this month?

I'm waiting for it to come out before buying an Air (not to save money, just want to have a fresh version of the OS rather than installing on top of Lion)

so any clues to when Mountain Lion is coming other than just sometime this month?

I'm waiting for it to come out before buying an Air (not to save money, just want to have a fresh version of the OS rather than installing on top of Lion)

Does that really make any difference?

Not at all.

Plus you can always do a fresh install anytime as Mountain Lion will create a recovery partition of its own.
You're pointlessly prolonging the agony of not having a new Mac ;)

njean777

You can always download it and put it on a dvd/usb stick and fresh install it yourself. As a matter of fact that is exactly what I did with Lion. Never upgraded, just clean installed it after downloading it from the mac app store.

KingKong

Ah but I dont want to set it up/transfer files over twice hehe

Im also waiting to install it on this macbook since Im giving it to my mom after I get a new one

njean777

Ah but I dont want to set it up/transfer files over twice hehe

Im also waiting to install it on this macbook since Im giving it to my mom after I get a new one

You most likely will have to wait a bit then after ML comes out. It took them a refresh in order for lion to come pre-installed on MBA's and MBP's. Maybe a month or two.

KingKong

ok I decided to just buy it now, anyone know of a good way to transfer music files over?

I was thinking of just copying it from my iPhone, does anyone know of a good program to do that? seems better than copying over by USB piece by piece or over the network

edit: most of it isnt iTunes bought hehe, so I cant just redownload

Can anyone help me get my Final Cut Pro 7 back on my computer? I downloaded FCP X and it accidentally wrote over the 7 file ..

I have a time machine backup if that helps.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
GAF, I used an archaic version of Skype (2.8) because I disliked the changes to the interface. This morning that was no longer an option because video calles were no longer working. So I updated to 5.8.0.945 and no have no incoming sound anymore. I can hear the other person, but they don't hear me. My microphone is not on mute. What can I do to fix this? I'm using it on a fairly old MacBook with 10.5.8 on it.

Ambitious

GAF, I used an archaic version of Skype (2.8) because I disliked the changes to the interface. This morning that was no longer an option because video calles were no longer working. So I updated to 5.8.0.945 and no have no incoming sound anymore. I can hear the other person, but they don't hear me. My microphone is not on mute. What can I do to fix this? I'm using it on a fairly old MacBook with 10.5.8 on it.

Does the volume indicator in the sound settings react to noise (System settings -> Sound -> Input)?

giga

Anyone else getting iTunes match errors when trying to update.

hSO5e.png

Edit: Looks like they're aware: https://discussions.apple.com/message/18861567#18861567

AHA-Lambda

K guys, minor annoyance this but I would say this is the first actual kind of problem I've had with my iMac since I got it in January.

Completely out of the blue today I noticed when I was deleting files that finder kept asking me for my password to do so and then it would get deleted without going through the trash. I seem to have fixed it through commands in terminal through support on the apple forums I saw.

What could have caused this though? I don't want to say virus cos I'm sure if I did get one it would much worse than this (plus that would be left over paranoia from when I used windows probably too).

K guys, minor annoyance this but I would say this is the first actual kind of problem I've had with my iMac since I got it in January.

Completely out of the blue today I noticed when I was deleting files that finder kept asking me for my password to do so and then it would get deleted without going through the trash. I seem to have fixed it through commands in terminal through support on the apple forums I saw.

What could have caused this though? I don't want to say virus cos I'm sure if I did get one it would much worse than this (plus that would be left over paranoia from when I used windows probably too).

Maybe an honest-to-goodness permissions error? Try running repair-permissions from Disk Utility.

Krelian

Something like this happened when I saved files onto a HFS+ formatted drive in Linux. I guess HFS support isn't perfect even when journaling is disabled. Never noticed it otherwise.

Do you still remember what kind of extended attributes the file had?

Sparrow users: Have you noticed Sparrow constantly accessing the network?

I set up a Yahoo! account and then couldn't help but notice in Little Snitch (Network monitor resource) that Sparrow was constantly pining Yahoo's imap server. Literally non-stop.

I only see it using a Yahoo account, not Gmail.

Top Bottom