• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

RevoDS

Not exactly about OSX, but that seems to be the best thread for my question anyway...

So I got my new MacBook Pro yesterday. On the keyboard, the keys at the top have two uses (Fx keys where x is a number, and media/backlighting/etc.). How does one go about using them as Fx keys? I tried Ctrl, Shift, Command, alt and that fn button, but nothing worked so far. No matter what I do, F5 still controls the keyboard backlight, etc...

RevoDS said:
Not exactly about OSX, but that seems to be the best thread for my question anyway...

So I got my new MacBook Pro yesterday. On the keyboard, the keys at the top have two uses (Fx keys where x is a number, and media/backlighting/etc.). How does one go about using them as Fx keys? I tried Ctrl, Shift, Command, alt and that fn button, but nothing worked so far. No matter what I do, F5 still controls the keyboard backlight, etc...

The fn key should work. If you go into System Preferences > Keyboard and check the 'Use all F keys as standard function keys' you would use the fn key for the media, backlighting controls.

RevoDS

infiniteloop said:
The fn key should work. If you go into System Preferences > Keyboard and check the 'Use all F keys as standard function keys' you would use the fn key for the media, backlighting controls.

Hmm thanks. I guess Safari doesn't support the refresh shortcut then :/

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
RevoDS said:
Hmm thanks. I guess Safari doesn't support the refresh shortcut then :/
Yeah it makes more sense as CMD+R rather than F5. Plus it's right in the tool bar up top:
ef289

A lot of OS X's keyboard shortcuts make more sense than Windows, but you'll need to train yourself off of the Windows thinking. For example, what the hell is Alt+F4? Cmd+Q for Quit makes more sense and is easier for your fingers to reach. Same with F5 for browser refresh when Cmd+R makes more sense.

Here's something along the same lines:

Ctrl + F2 to use your keyboard to navigate the menu bar at the very top.
Ctrl + F3 to navigate the Dock with your keyboard.

And for anyone that might still not know it yet: Cmd + Space (they're right next to each other) for Spotlight search.

mrkgoo

Just another quickie: Using option+brightness (on the F1/F2 keys) takes you straight to display preferences. Like wise, option+expose/dashboard takes you to expose preferences, and so on (option+keyboard backlight, option + volume etc).

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I use a mac at work and have a macbook at home, but my home computer is a PC.

I've had to train myself to NOT hit enter (durr RETURN) to rename things on my PC, as instead, enter opens whatever I have highlighted on my windows box.

hitting enter to rename just seems so natural to me now after 3 years of OSX'ing, lol.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Ctrl + F2 to use your keyboard to navigate the menu bar at the very top.
Ctrl + F3 to navigate the Dock with your keyboard.

Awesome. Very awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DrEvil said:

I've had to train myself to NOT hit enter (durr RETURN) to rename things on my PC, as instead, enter opens whatever I have highlighted on my windows box.

hitting enter to rename just seems so natural to me now after 3 years of OSX'ing, lol.
And in case someone does want Return/Enter key on mac to launch their apps, there's a small utility for that called ReturnOpen:

http://www.returnopen.com

Or another one called PresButan (love the name :-D ) Which also lets you use either delete key to delete files, on top of launching with Return:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25682

*edit* another useful utility that emulates Windows functionality is called "Witch":
http://www.manytricks.com/witch/

It lets you have Alt+Tab functionality that works like in Windows and even better actually. It cycles through every open window, and not just every open app like Command+Tab does in OSX.

DrEvil said:

Yes, this is another Windows keyboard shortcut that makes no sense. People argue that Enter should open the file, but really, what the hell does F2 have to do with renaming?

SnakeXs

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes, this is another Windows keyboard shortcut that makes no sense. People argue that Enter should open the file, but really, what the hell does F2 have to do with renaming?

Plus in the context of drilling down through folders, CMD-Down and CMD-Up make sense.

Tieno

I ordered a 13" macbook pro, it's my first mac. With windows I always had the old habit of setting up at least two partitions, to separate, as much as possible, the system with its applications from all the user created & downloaded files. This so it's easy to format and reinstall windows when something goes wrong (save for hdd failures) or for performance issues.

Is this the same way I should go about with OS X?

onesvenus

Now that we are talking about windows and os X differences, what about the Alt gr key?
As a programmer I'm very used to use the Alt gr key to make some symbols but I haven't found how to do them on my mac. Take the Alt gr + 4 symbol (the one that its like a worm), how do you do that in mac? And the other symbols? I was used to Altgr +164 for a symbol!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
onesvenus said:
Now that we are talking about windows and os X differences, what about the Alt gr key?
As a programmer I'm very used to use the Alt gr key to make some symbols but I haven't found how to do them on my mac. Take the Alt gr + 4 symbol (the one that its like a worm), how do you do that in mac? And the other symbols? I was used to Altgr +164 for a symbol!
What keyboard? Wikipedia tells me that AltGr + 4 in Germanic languages is a dollar sign ($) and in French it's a left brace ( { ). Those are both symbols by default on US QWERTY keyboards, regardless of operating system.

SnakeXs

onesvenus said:

Option key, usually. It's more logical than random numbers, usually. Shift + Option changes things, too.

Tobor

Tieno said:
I ordered a 13" macbook pro, it's my first mac. With windows I always had the old habit of setting up at least two partitions, to separate, as much as possible, the system with its applications from all the user created & downloaded files. This so it's easy to format and reinstall windows when something goes wrong (save for hdd failures) or for performance issues.

You don't need to do this with OS X. Just get a good external HDD for Time Machine and you're set.

giga

Tieno said:

You don't need to do this. Archive and install saves you the trouble.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

It basically keeps your home folder, but gives you a fresh system directory.

onesvenus

Phobophile said:
What keyboard? Wikipedia tells me that AltGr + 4 in Germanic languages is a dollar sign ($) and in French it's a left brace ( { ). Those are both symbols by default on US QWERTY keyboards, regardless of operating system.

This symbol ~ (I copied it from the Wiki page :p)
It doesn't say it but in the Spanigh layout its AltGr + 4. I can't figure how to do it in Mac Os X

Never mind, I've found it after playing with all the keys :p Alt + Ñ

SnakeXs

onesvenus said:
This symbol ~ (I copied it from the Wiki page :p)
It doesn't say it but in the Spanigh layout its AltGr + 4. I can't figure how to do it in Mac Os X

Tilde? No idea on Spanish layouts. It's right above tab, next to 1 on English keyboards. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow, that receipt tip is excellent. My folder full of screencaps is atrocious so I'll have to form the habit of using this new method.

For archive files I would recommend The Unarchiver. Handles everything well bar password protect Rar files apparently, so keep UnRarX as well.

If you fancy random stuff on your desktop you could try GeekTool.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
does anyone know if it's possible to move an app to a different space by only using the keyboard? i know you can drag the window and hit control+# to move to a specific space, but i was hoping there'd be a way to do it without using the mouse.

Kryten

Awesome thread, thanks to everyone for contributing.

I'm using a MBP for work (yay, free MBP!) and was wondering if there's a keyboard command for reconfiguring the screens, i.e. when I connect the mini-DVI for my 24" LCD, is it possible to use a PC style Fn-F(#) key combination to drive the screen config, or is enabling the display tool on the top bar the only way to sort of semi-automatically drive this?

Ashhong

maybe this is a setting or something, but is there any way to have my keyboard backlight automatically turn off when i run on battery power? i want it on with the adapter and off when i take it out. is there a program if that OSX doesnt have this setting?

Jasoco

Banned
Phobophile said:
I honestly prefer Preview to JustLooking. I only use JustLooking for viewing animated GIFs. Between Preview and Safari 4, Apple must really hate animated GIFs.
Oh, wow. I did not know about this program! I'd been dragging GIF files into FireFox to watch them animate. JustLooking is awesome!

But I too don't think I'll replace Preview with it. I just changed GIF files to open with it. All other images will be viewed via QuickLook and Preview.

You know, I don't get why no one has created a QuickLook plugin that animates GIF files yet.

SnakeXs

I like JustLooking quite a bit, but it still has lame gif rendering. I'd totally use Xee if it didn't want to stay open all the time, and have such a shitty gif association icon.

I've got a question, is there someway to open a link in safari when you click on it if you receive it in adium? It's annoying to copy and paste the link if I don't have to.

SnakeXs

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've got a question, is there someway to open a link in safari when you click on it if you receive it in adium? It's annoying to copy and paste the link if I don't have to.

Is it your default browser? Or do you mean in a new tab in the existing window, and not in a new window completely?

Mamesj

Banned
I feel like I should know more keyboard commands, but with a macbook unibody, they just don't feel necessary. The trackpad is such a joy to use that I don't mind the "extra" effort.

SnakeXs said:
Is it your default browser? Or do you mean in a new tab in the existing window, and not in a new window completely?

Not really picky... I use pidgin on windows and when I click a link in an im chat it automatically opens in my web browser to look at it. I guess I'd prefer it as a new tab but I mostly just want to open on click or ctrl clicking or something and not having to copy and paste. I think it's my default browser... I haven't changed anything and it's the only web browser on my system.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Not really picky... I use pidgin on windows and when I click a link in an im chat it automatically opens in my web browser to look at it. I guess I'd prefer it as a new tab but I mostly just want to open on click or ctrl clicking or something and not having to copy and paste. I think it's my default browser... I haven't changed anything and it's the only web browser on my system.
Either you're getting bum links or some theme or something installed in Adium is borking it up. I click on links in Adium all the time.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
SnakeXs said:
Option key, usually. It's more logical than random numbers, usually. Shift + Option changes things, too.

yup - alt-8 for a middle dot (alt-0183 on windows)
alt-2 for TM (alt-0153 on windows)
alt-0 for degrees symbol (dunno wtf it is on windows)
alt-c for copyright, alt-r for registered tm. all makes sense.

osx saves me so much time its crazy. and cheers to liu kang for the command-f2/f3 menu nav thing. i had no idea :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
julls said:
yup - alt-8 for a middle dot (alt-0183 on windows)
alt-2 for TM (alt-0153 on windows)
alt-0 for degrees symbol (dunno wtf it is on windows)
alt-c for copyright, alt-r for registered tm. all makes sense.

osx saves me so much time its crazy. and cheers to liu kang for the command-f2/f3 menu nav thing. i had no idea :D
One thing I don't like about the OS X method is that there isn't enough keys for Option+ to cover all the weird symbols. With Windows I can easily type Map into the Start Menu Search Bar to get the Character Map and Alt combo for the character. With OS X I have to use a widget to bring up the Keyboard Viewer quickly, but for the Character Palette I have to go to System Preferences -> International -> Input -> Show Input in Menu Bar -> Click the ugly flag in my Menu Bar -> Character Palette. Ugh.

Other than permanently leaving the input menu in the menu bar, is there any way to get the Character Palette to show up quicker?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Killthee said:
One thing I don't like about the OS X method is that there isn't enough keys for Option+ to cover all the weird symbols. With Windows I can easily type Map into the Start Menu Search Bar to get the Character Map and Alt combo for the character. With OS X I have to use a widget to bring up the Keyboard Viewer quickly, but for the Character Palette I have to go to System Preferences -> International -> Input -> Show Input in Menu Bar -> Click the ugly flag in my Menu Bar -> Character Palette. Ugh.

Other than permanently leaving the input menu in the menu bar, is there any way to get the Character Palette to show up quicker?
There's a US Extended character set in the input menu that puts more at your disposal.

giga

Killthee said:

cmd+opt+t?

or

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/31/tuaw-tip-a-shortcut-to-the-character-palette/

LukeSmith

Helpful thread. I'm slowly making my way around OS X after work. If I could just find a replacement for OneNote (I like the horizontal and vertical pagination options it affords me), I'd be even happier.

jepense

When I got my mac, the thing I most fell in love with was Spotlight. Being cmd+space it's easy to reach and it does just about everything: searches, launches programs, accesses the dictionary/wikipedia, doubles as a calculator...

Okay, Mac-GAF, I need help.

I'm trying to do a tutorial at work, and I need to take some windowed screenshots, but when I do the CMD+Shift+4+Spacebar trick, when I open it in Photoshop or InDesign, there's a black border where the drop shadow would be. But when I open it in Preview, it's fine. I'm also using Snaps Pro X, and I know I could just add the drop shadow in InDesign, but now it's bugging me, and I want to figure it out. Any ideas?

giga

Battlezone said:

I'm trying to do a tutorial at work, and I need to take some windowed screenshots, but when I do the CMD+Shift+4+Spacebar trick, when I open it in Photoshop or InDesign, there's a black border where the drop shadow would be. But when I open it in Preview, it's fine. I'm also using Snaps Pro X, and I know I could just add the drop shadow in InDesign, but now it's bugging me, and I want to figure it out. Any ideas?
screenshot the problem.

SnakeXs

Battlezone said:

I'd... wager it's Snapz Pro?

jepense said:
When I got my mac, the thing I most fell in love with was Spotlight. Being cmd+space it's easy to reach and it does just about everything: searches, launches programs, accesses the dictionary/wikipedia, doubles as a calculator...

You should install QuickSilver, and find out the true power of a keyboard driven interface.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
StrikerObi said:
You should install QuickSilver, and find out the true power of a keyboard driven interface.

Yes! When I first got my MBP a couple of years ago, I was miserable. I could go days without using a mouse/trackpad on my Windows machine (slight exaggeration). Quicksilver saved the day and made the transition smooth(er) for me.

Jasoco

Banned
SnakeXs said:
I like JustLooking quite a bit, but it still has lame gif rendering. I'd totally use Xee if it didn't want to stay open all the time, and have such a shitty gif association icon.
JustLooking hasa horrible GIF icon as well.

So I opened the JustLooking.app as a folder and navigated into the Resources folder and dragged the "Document.icns" file to the desktop. Then I opened up the Preview.app as a folder and navigated to Resources and found the appropriate .icns file for GIF's and dragged it into the Resources folder of JustLooking.

Then I quit the Finder (I've had it set to Command+Q for years by a hidden preference, but in a plain vanilla OS X install you will have to force quit the Finder or reboot) and when it relaunched all my GIF's had the original Preview style GIF icon. MUCH NICER LOOKING. God that JustLooking icon was ugly! What were they thinking?

BTW, JustLooking plays GIF's really nicely. Especially huge ones. I had a 24MB one that was a timelapse video of something. Trying to view it in Firefox was horrible. I'd hate to try it in Safari. But once it was downloaded, it played smoothly in JustLooking.

Top Bottom