• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Sean

Banned
The Main Event said:
The main reason I'm still using Quicktime is because of the Inspector, since I'm doing video editing and such and like to have the option to look at the videos codec/bitrates/framerates, etc. once I'm done encoding.

I'll just be patient and wait for Quicktime X with Snow Leopard. The new interface looks slick.

Pretty sure VLC has this too. Press CMD-I or go to Window > Media Information and then the Codec Details/Statistics panes.

pj

Banned
giga said:
Why do you say that?

I don't like limes. Also, this looks like it was made to be an aqua OS X application first and an IRC client second, whereas xchat is an irc client ported to osx.

I don't really see how xchat is ugly, anyway. If you spend 30 seconds in the preferences you can make it look however you want.

giga

pj325is said:
I don't like limes. Also, this looks like it was made to be an aqua OS X application first and an IRC client second, whereas xchat is an irc client ported to osx.

I don't really see how xchat is ugly, anyway. If you spend 30 seconds in the preferences you can make it look however you want.
Elaborate? :lol You said you only send and receive messages.

I find xchat ugly for many reasons (that can't be fixed in preferences). The tabs, the 2001-era gel status indicators, the ugly lines and white spaces around the bottom/userlist/etc.

Can you make it look like this?

Colloquial.png

pj

Banned
It doesn't look all that different to me, except I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the server window, other than shrinking it all the way down which seems weird, and I can't get tabs which are way better than what limechat uses..

picture_1111.png

picture_3534.png

Also, you can replace the tabs with "outline" which looks exactly the same as limechat, but I don't know why anyone would want to do that

Tieno

Mar_ said:
In an amusing twist of irony. OSX actually encourages you to use things in windows. Unlike Windows. It took a while for me to get used to it as well. I always wanted to maximise my windows to the full screen size for a good while. But then realised that with the easier to use navigation and user interface, having windows as windows is actually a lot more helpful. Even on a small screen (13" MacAir here).

Now whenever I go to my work machine (running Ubuntu) I find myself making my windows smaller but losing the ease of navigation that I would have in OSX, and have to re-maximise them. It's quite interesting how fast you get accustomed to the OSX UI and how much more natural it all is.
Yeah, I'm already getting accustomed. It takes some time. I still like my browser maximized, but some others aren't a big deal. I find switching apps and windows using expose + trackpad to be very elegant and natural. I use it all the time to switch windows or clear my screen temporarily. OS X very clutterfree in general.

Is there a trackpad gesture for safari to open a link in a new tab? Without holding any buttons, like cmd.

giga

Yeah, the limechat default is ugly (with the two vertical panes) and standard irc courier-1980s-look. And right, it doesn't have tabs--and if that's the deal breaker, then that's cool with me.

I'm just really anal about polished looking software on my computer. For the screenshot you posted:

1. The aqua status indicator on the bottom left and on the userlist.
2. The line just below the titlebar (the topic bar), with two white pixels on the very left and right.
3. The line along the very bottom, going through the tabs.
4. The 10.1 era aqua arrow button to the right of the text entry field.
5. The text inside the tabs aren't even properly spaced proportionally.
6. The ugly twin blue bars on the bottom right (not sure if this can be disabled, can it?)

But other than that, you won't get xchat looking as clean and polished as the screenshot I posted since it doesn't support message styles/themes. That's all I really ask for, because changing the font and colors just isn't enough really.

screenshot.png

20k6e02.png

pj

Banned
you can make the text line up with the separator bar but I hate it. I keep my xchat window pretty small so one asshole with a long name fucks up the whole operation. Those two bars are lag and throttle meters, and I think they can be removed but I don't recall how.

About your other complaints, they make me feel better about myself because now I can always think "well at least I'm not as anal as giga"

When I look at xchat, the only thing I see is the text window, which looks exactly how I want it to. I had to look at the xchat picture to see what "arrow button" you were talking about.

Ashhong

hey guys i need help really quick. i have a time machine backup that i want my computer to restore to. now i remember when i first turned on my computer it asked me if i want to restore from TM. i didnt have it at the time so i put no. how do i get back to that screen with a fresh osx install?

i put in my leopard install disk while in OSX and installed OSX over my HD, but it just went straight into the OS and never did the initial setup like before. did i do something wrong like forget to format or something?

aparisi2274

Tobor said:
And now for my favorite little trick for people new to OS X, and something I use literally all the time:

When buying something online or paying a bill, select Print, then hit the PDF drop down and choose "Save PDF to Web Receipts Folder". The first time you do it, the folder will be created in your Documents folder. :D

Picture9.png

So I am not sure I am doing this correctly, but tonight I tried to save my pdf receipt from Apple for my new iPhone. I followed whart you said to do, and this is what I got:

"Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

Am I doing something wrong??

giga

Ashhong said:
hey guys i need help really quick. i have a time machine backup that i want my computer to restore to. now i remember when i first turned on my computer it asked me if i want to restore from TM. i didnt have it at the time so i put no. how do i get back to that screen with a fresh osx install?

i put in my leopard install disk while in OSX and installed OSX over my HD, but it just went straight into the OS and never did the initial setup like before. did i do something wrong like forget to format or something?
boot into your leopard install disc again and go to utilities in the menu bar.

aparisi2274 said:
So I am not sure I am doing this correctly, but tonight I tried to save my pdf receipt from Apple for my new iPhone. I followed whart you said to do, and this is what I got:

"Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

Am I doing something wrong??
You didn't install adobe reader or something did you?

Ashhong

giga said:
boot into your leopard install disc again and go to utilities in the menu bar.

You didn't install adobe reader or something did you?

boot into it? like boot from disk at startup? how do you do that? or u mean just open DVD like normal again

giga

Ashhong said:
boot into it? like boot from disk at startup? how do you do that? or u mean just open DVD like normal again
At startup, hold down option and boot from the disc.

aparisi2274

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

I don't know....

As someone who is a "noob" with OSX and coming over from Windows I just assumed I need it.

If I get rid of adobe reader what do you use in OSX to view pdf files? If I need to print out concert or movie tickets???

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
aparisi2274 said:
I don't know....

As someone who is a "noob" with OSX and coming over from Windows I just assumed I need it.

If I get rid of adobe reader what do you use in OSX to view pdf files? If I need to print out concert or movie tickets???

Preview.

Or Quicklook.

Or preview.

Or NOT ADOBE READER.

aparisi2274 said:
I don't know....

OS X displays PDFs fine without any help using Preview and Quicklook.

Good Lord, you installed Adobe Reader on purpose.

aparisi2274 said:
Cool. Thanks. I just deleted Adobe Reader.

So why the hatred for Adobe reader?? Just curious
Open a PDF in Quicklook or Preview and tell us how long it took to open. Or if they open an "Updater" program that bounces in your Dock every other week.

aparisi2274

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
OS X displays PDFs fine without any help using Preview and Quicklook.

Good Lord, you installed Adobe Reader on purpose.

Open a PDF in Quicklook or Preview and tell us how long it took to open. Or if they open an "Updater" program that bounces in your Dock every other week.

I got ya!! I opened a pdf receipt with preview and it was instant.

Thanks for the tips!!

Tieno

Guess I won't be installing adobe reader either.

Another question. Back in september or something I bought Spore for PC. It also has the mac version on the DVD. What would give better performance: still use bootcamp or install it for the mac? I'd imagine games get more optimized for PC/Windows.

Ashhong

Hey guys just restored my comp from backup like you said, but my display isn't working. The apple came up, spinning logo, then black. The keyboard is lit up but no picture....

edit: LOL nevermind...apparently for some reason the brightness got set to 0 :lol :lol

Tieno said:
Guess I won't be installing adobe reader either.

Another question. Back in september or something I bought Spore for PC. It also has the mac version on the DVD. What would give better performance: still use bootcamp or install it for the mac? I'd imagine games get more optimized for PC/Windows.
Spore on OS X is 'emulated', it's just an wrapper app that translates the windows code to OS X on the fly. In my experience it ran awful on my Santa Rosa MBP, while my brother could run it fine on his Pentium IV with windows from 2002.

Ashhong

ok now i have a real problem. my mbp says that there is no output device. volume keys are unresponsive and the volume icon on the menu bar is invisible...

ok...my menu bar keeps crashing too. is this because i used a backup from a different computer? it was a TM backup from the first unibody onto the new MBP unibody..

Ashhong

hey guys, so i found out there can be issues if you straight copy a HD over on a different machine...

so i booted from install disk again, this time choosing the option to "archive and restore". it created this folder called Previous Systems. not sure what the point of this is, as the main HD and folders have everything from before i think. its about 1.3 gigs big, can i just delete it? also im missing like 12 gigs of space after doing this reinstall...im guessing that leopard is somehow installed twice over? how can i free up my space?

edit: ugh, just deleted the previous systems folder. turned out to not be 1.3, and actually the 12gigs i was missing. freakin Finder. still dont understand the point of that folder though

Tobor

aparisi2274 said:
I got ya!! I opened a pdf receipt with preview and it was instant.

Thanks for the tips!!

I guess I should add this tip in the next time we do a thread like this. The built in PDF support in OSX is perfection.

If you don't want to leave any files behind when uninstalling a program, there's a free program called "AppDelete" which works quite well.

AppZapper is also available, but it'll cost you (around $13) after a couple of uses.

Edit: Actually, AppDelete now cost $5. Worth it though.

giga

Ashhong said:
ok now i have a real problem. my mbp says that there is no output device. volume keys are unresponsive and the volume icon on the menu bar is invisible...

ok...my menu bar keeps crashing too. is this because i used a backup from a different computer? it was a TM backup from the first unibody onto the new MBP unibody..
Um, yes. Don't ever do that.

Woffls

Uuummmm I have an Intel PC and want to use OSX, how much hassle is it, and can I multiboot with 7 or Vista? Thannnkksss.

Woffls said:
Uuummmm I have an Intel PC and want to use OSX, how much hassle is it, and can I multiboot with 7 or Vista? Thannnkksss.

A lot depending on what your other components are. You can search online for compatability but it usually sucks in my experience. Of course you can dual boot.... It would be the same as dual booting any other OS.

giga

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait then how do you restore like able says is so easy to do? Do you have to have them do it and you can't do it?
I did not comprehend a single thing you just said, but you can't do a full TM restore from one computer to another different computer. Full as in everything--including the system files.

Vyer

TM's backups are just images though. If you plug the disk in and navigate through it without time machine, you can still pull what files you want.

Blackhead

Redarse
giga said:
I did not comprehend a single thing you just said, but you can't do a full TM restore from one computer to another different computer. Full as in everything--including the system files.
Oh fuck, I was going to do that... So what can you use then?

DuckRacer

The Main Event said:
If you don't want to leave any files behind when uninstalling a program, there's a free program called "AppDelete" which works quite well.

AppZapper is also available, but it'll cost you (around $13) after a couple of uses.

Edit: Actually, AppDelete now cost $5. Worth it though.
I wouldn't even use (much less buy) any of those. I use AppTrap – it's free, it asks you to move associated hidden files to the trash whenever you move an application to the trash, and it's a preference pane. It's a hell of a lot more convenient than any standalone app.

giga

DuckRacer said:
I wouldn't even use (much less buy) any of those. I use AppTrap – it's free, it asks you to move associated hidden files to the trash whenever you move an application to the trash, and it's a preference pane. It's a hell of a lot more convenient than any standalone app.
I use this as well.

DuckRacer said:

Never heard of it. I'll take a look.

Edit: Works great. Wish I knew about that one before.

Ashhong

ant1532

Banned
GREAT THREAD. finally got a computer yesterday after going almost a year without my own, and I've never had a mac before but always wanted one. So I finally got a macbook and I am LOVING IT

thanks for all the great information for a new mac user!!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Sapiens said:
Anyone know how to make Aiport Disks mount automatically after I wake my laptop from sleep?

Don't believe you can, which sucks. Mount on login is extremely nice. You could make an automator script for it, though, if you really want.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
giga said:
What's legacy code?

That is PowerPC code, instead of Intel, meaning that it has to go through the emulation. It can be slower, it might not be completely compatible, and it can get kind of annoying.

Your best bet for anything is to always get the Intel version. Don't mess with universal binaries if you don't have to.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Alfarif said:
Your best bet for anything is to always get the Intel version. Don't mess with universal binaries if you don't have to.
*facepalm*

Universal means it has the program compiled to be natively run on both PPC and Intel platforms. The only downside is that it takes more space to do both, but otherwise it'll work perfectly in either.

Top Bottom