• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Blackhead

Redarse
Is Apple good for after-purchase upgrades or is it always better to go somewhere else? I hoping to find a sweet SSD drive deal on Black Friday…

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Is there a way to read those .db files on Mac?
Like "thumbs.db"? No. Those are Windows thumbnail archives. OS X does not archive thumbnails. Though sometimes I wish it did, or at least had the option to. I mean come on. Folders with hundreds of images or videos take forever to generate. And they do it every time. Just make them once and save the HD from so much reading every time! I'll gladly take a small HD space hit (I have a huuuge HD, that's what he said) to have them be visible instantly every time instead of having to wait.

Unless you're talking about Microsoft Access databases? Well, if so, there might be some programs to open them. You'd have to Google because MS doesn't include an Access with Office Mac for some reason.

mrklaw said:
if its WEP, you'll need to ask him for the HEX password. Different routers and different computers have different ways of generating the HEX from the ascii password - there isn't a set standard.

I had this problem with my Dad's network. Ascii works fine on his XP machine, but my OSX machine wouldn't connect - had to use the raw HEX password in the end

So how do I get this "hex password"?

I mean where do I see it at his computer?

Also. "mrklaw"? "mrklaw"? Wow it's like "mrkgoo" only with "law" at the end. That's so cool!

I'm an idiot I know but I couldn't help but to point that out.

Charred Greyface said:
Is Apple good for after-purchase upgrades or is it always better to go somewhere else? I hoping to find a sweet SSD drive deal on Black Friday…
Best to go somewhere else. Usually Apple's upgrades are fairly expensive compared to places like New Egg. At least that's how it is with RAM, dunno about SSDs.

mrkgoo

Does anyone know why some dvds when played with dvd player has the volume change up and down constantly during play?

I had it on my old drive and one particular drive does it for a shaun of the dead dvd. It's like some crazy form of copy protection or something (although it's not a copy).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was wondering about the software updates. Every time there's some new security update or something else, it also shows a list of shit I don't want (some printers I once connected to, like Brother and HP, or some 300 fuckin' Mb Garageband update) - any way to permanently get these out of my list? How do I tell my Mac I don't want that shit?

mrkgoo

Rei_Toei said:
I was wondering about the software updates. Every time there's some new security update or something else, it also shows a list of shit I don't want (some printers I once connected to, like Brother and HP, or some 300 fuckin' Mb Garageband update) - any way to permanently get these out of my list? How do I tell my Mac I don't want that shit?

I *think* when you choose to 'ignore update' (Menu Bar -> update), it gives you the option to ignore once or ignore forever.

The shortcut is also 'delete', so by highlighting and hitting delete, it 'removes' it from the update list. Not a slight on you, Rei, but Apple try to make everything as simple as possible - there's often very simple ways to do things that are right in front of you.

LCfiner

Mar_ said:
Some dude bought a 24" iMac here at work. My boss practically forced me to take the Magic Mouse that came with it. He said it would just confuse the user as he isn't technical at all. The poor bastard has been lumped with a Mighty.

The sad part is I don't think I like the Magic Mouse at all. I have to have my expose on a mouse button or I just can't work. The Magic Mouse has been shut away in my desk...

download "bettertouchtool" and set up three finger click for expose. (or a 3 finger swipe)

it's multiclutch reborn.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
mrkgoo said:
I *think* when you choose to 'ignore update' (Menu Bar -> update), it gives you the option to ignore once or ignore forever.

The shortcut is also 'delete', so by highlighting and hitting delete, it 'removes' it from the update list. Not a slight on you, Rei, but Apple try to make everything as simple as possible - there's often very simple ways to do things that are right in front of you.

You're right, I was a little hasty with my question. Right after I posted my message, I noticed software update has it's own menu-bar menu too. It is a little confusing though - even though I selected the security update as an update I do want, and then choose 'ignore update', it seems I can only ignore the complete update. So I guess I should update the items I want, then restart, then run software update and ignore what is left. With regards to Apple making stuff simple - very true, and precisely why I'm happy I switched to Mac in 2007 :)

mrkgoo

Rei_Toei said:
You're right, I was a little hasty with my question. Right after I posted my message, I noticed software update has it's own menu-bar menu too. It is a little confusing though - even though I selected the security update as an update I do want, and then choose 'ignore update', it seems I can only ignore the complete update. So I guess I should update the items I want, then restart, then run software update and ignore what is left. With regards to Apple making stuff simple - very true, and precisely why I'm happy I switched to Mac in 2007 :)

Yeah, I've never ignored any updates before (I don't think), it's possible you could just click the ones you want to ignore and click ignore, but your way should work definitely. There's a way to reset the ignores too I believe.

I'm having some problems with my ipod touch and my mac. It just started thursday and whenever I sync my ipod it will correctly add/remove things like it's supposed to but at the end it gives an error in the yellow "status" box I guess you can call it at the top middle that says what's going on. The error says backup has failed. I searched and it talked about firewall settings but I've never touched any such settings on my mac so everything so be as it has been before but now it recently gives this error. Any idea what can be causing this or how to fix it? Thanks.

Edit: And in case it matters, both are only a couple months old. I got it over the summer when the new models came out and the firmware is up to date on both items.

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm having some problems with my ipod touch and my mac. It just started thursday and whenever I sync my ipod it will correctly add/remove things like it's supposed to but at the end it gives an error in the yellow "status" box I guess you can call it at the top middle that says what's going on. The error says backup has failed. I searched and it talked about firewall settings but I've never touched any such settings on my mac so everything so be as it has been before but now it recently gives this error. Any idea what can be causing this or how to fix it? Thanks.

Edit: And in case it matters, both are only a couple months old. I got it over the summer when the new models came out and the firmware is up to date on both items.

I've been getting that more recently too. After I try unplugging and plugging in, it will succeed. Does your fail every single time?

I have no idea what causes it, but it's perhaps a communication problem. Make sure you have a clean connection (no slightly loose cables), try different ports, etc. You could try repairing permissions for Mac OSX itself or reauthorizing your itunes account and reauthorising.

If it does happen every time, it's possible a backup is corrupted - while I've never tried this, there appears to be an option to erase all backups in the iTunes preferences (under devices), maybe you could reset your backups by deleting them, and resyncing. Not sure - better ask someone who has a better idea.

mrkgoo said:
I've been getting that more recently too. After I try unplugging and plugging in, it will succeed. Does your fail every single time?

I have no idea what causes it, but it's perhaps a communication problem. Make sure you have a clean connection (no slightly loose cables), try different ports, etc. You could try repairing permissions for Mac OSX itself or reauthorizing your itunes account and reauthorising.

If it does happen every time, it's possible a backup is corrupted - while I've never tried this, there appears to be an option to erase all backups in the iTunes preferences (under devices), maybe you could reset your backups by deleting them, and resyncing. Not sure - better ask someone who has a better idea.

Is there any way to check backups? I just unplugged an re-synced it now and it didn't say anything so I guess it backed up correctly? I usually only plug it in once a day to update my podcasts and stuff. Weird it messes up the first time but not the second time.

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any way to check backups? I just unplugged an re-synced it now and it didn't say anything so I guess it backed up correctly? I usually only plug it in once a day to update my podcasts and stuff. Weird it messes up the first time but not the second time.

If it doesn't happen every single time, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably just trying to do too many things at once and hiccupped during the backup check, so decided to skip it that one time.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
odd timing as i'm getting an error message on my iphone whenever i try to sync (error -208) either on my PC or Mac.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish the ipod syncing was more intelligent.

I watched a bunch of gametrailer video reviews, then deleted them from my ipod. When I connect up to my computer to sync, it puts the fuckers back on again!

If I watch them and then sync, it'll remove them as they are 'watched'. But if I watch them,then delete them, it doesn't remember that they were watched?

mrklaw said:

I watched a bunch of gametrailer video reviews, then deleted them from my ipod. When I connect up to my computer to sync, it puts the fuckers back on again!

If I watch them and then sync, it'll remove them as they are 'watched'. But if I watch them,then delete them, it doesn't remember that they were watched?
What reason do you have for deleting them?

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:

I semi-get annoyed by this, but I do most of my management on iTunes anyway.

Obviously, the way you use your portable device, the actual best option is to have it do everything automatically.

Something like only sync unplayed episodes to your device (as well as only keep unplayed) so when you sync your device, it will remove them automatically (I think - don't know if you have to sync once to check it as played, and then again to unsync it).

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What reason do you have for deleting them?

I'm not sure about mrklaw, but personally, I delete media I no longer have a use for. If I may want to keep it around for future use but don't want it cluttering my main drive, I may shift it to an external. I don't see the need to keep things you'll never use again, and if, for some strange reason, you DO need to, most likely you'd be able to download it again.

I delete podcasts after I listen to them as well. Mostly it's a space issue.

mrkgoo said:
I'm not sure about mrklaw, but personally, I delete media I no longer have a use for. If I may want to keep it around for future use but don't want it cluttering my main drive, I may shift it to an external. I don't see the need to keep things you'll never use again, and if, for some strange reason, you DO need to, most likely you'd be able to download it again.

I delete podcasts after I listen to them as well. Mostly it's a space issue.
No, he's deleting the items on his iPod, not on his computer. Then he's syncing back to his computer that's putting it back on.

I don't understand why you would delete something on the iPod itself instead of just waiting until you sync again, at which point it will be deleted from the device because you have listened to or watched it. It's not like freeing up space on your iPod while you're out with it is beneficial, unless you're an extreme edge case that downloads stuff over wifi all the time. At that point, you shouldn't be syncing with a main computer anyway.

No, he's deleting the items on his iPod, not on his computer. Then he's syncing back to his computer that's putting it back on.

I don't understand why you would delete something on the iPod itself instead of just waiting until you sync again, at which point it will be deleted from the device because you have listened to or watched it. It's not like freeing up space on your iPod while you're out with it is beneficial, unless you're an extreme edge case that downloads stuff over wifi all the time. At that point, you shouldn't be syncing with a main computer anyway.

i understand what you're saying, but when i have 10-15 videos on my iPhone, it's easier to delete them so i know at a glance what i have left to watch...... that's why i delete anyhow

DefectiveReject said:
i understand what you're saying, but when i have 10-15 videos on my iPhone, it's easier to delete them so i know at a glance what i have left to watch...... that's why i delete anyhow
iPhone2-1NewIndicator.jpg

That's what the blue dots are for.

mrkgoo

Oh right, I see what you mean.

I'm guessing to delete it hoping that when he syncs back the iTunes library updates according and removes it there. I would like this function myself - basically to utilise the most recent changes and sync between. Of course, I understand why this isn't the case - the portable device is an extension of the iTunes library. They are not 'equal'. It may be dangerous to have it work the other way around - an accidental wipe on the device side could lead to you losing it entirely.

Applications of course DO work like this, but that is for a couple reasons - 1) they are only used on the device itself (therefore iTunes becomes simply a gateway/backup/secondary to the primary device); and 2) removing from your device simply unchecks them for syncing, not deletes them (even though you can always redownload for free).

mrkgoo

DefectiveReject said:

Videos (and podcasts) are tagged with blue dot for new, half a dot for half played. YOu should be able to quickly see what you haven't started or finished playing.

Mar

It's a one button mouse. How is the Mighty less confusing?

That's what I said. But according to my boss the guy is the biggest tech noob ever born and magically swiping your fingers on a surface will just blow his mind clear out of his head. So no magic for him.

LCfiner said:
download "bettertouchtool" and set up three finger click for expose. (or a 3 finger swipe)

it's multiclutch reborn.

You don't say... I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

Juice

LCfiner said:

it's multiclutch reborn.

This x 1 million. BetterTouchTool is fantastic for the trackpad too.

Can it work its magic on both simultaneously? I'm about to find out when I pick up a magic mouse.

http://blog.boastr.net/

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
i have two iCal questions:

1) is there any way to sync it with Google calendar so that any changes made in iCal are reflected in Google? The instructions I found for syncing only allows Google changes to be reflected in iCal, but not the other way around. (iCal does not let me modify subscribed calendars)

2) is there a way to have an event repeat every other week for several months without doing each one manually?

mrkgoo

Juice said:
This x 1 million. BetterTouchTool is fantastic for the trackpad too.

Can it work its magic on both simultaneously? I'm about to find out when I pick up a magic mouse.

http://blog.boastr.net/

I know I may be alone here, but I really prefer to stick with default stuff as much as possible. Not so much because I am some hardcore Apple-only freak, but because I like Mac OS X for its simplicity. This includes not just in use, but in upgrades, updates etc. I've found that upgrades when you use crazy extensions or modifications tend to break, or mess up other areas, so I normally do without.

One of the main advantages is that Apple make both the software and hardware, so they know the configuration of most of their users making for a mostly seamless update path. Straying off that path takes away from some of that advantage for me. A shame, because I know I'm probably missing out on some wicked extensions. I normally just adapt to what I've been given.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh my christ...BetterTouchTool...

pj

Banned
mrkgoo said:
I know I may be alone here, but I really prefer to stick with default stuff as much as possible. Not so much because I am some hardcore Apple-only freak, but because I like Mac OS X for its simplicity. This includes not just in use, but in upgrades, updates etc. I've found that upgrades when you use crazy extensions or modifications tend to break, or mess up other areas, so I normally do without.

One of the main advantages is that Apple make both the software and hardware, so they know the configuration of most of their users making for a mostly seamless update path. Straying off that path takes away from some of that advantage for me. A shame, because I know I'm probably missing out on some wicked extensions. I normally just adapt to what I've been given.

I tend to agree with that, but multi touch is 10 times better with bettertouch. The magic mouse would be pretty worthless to me without it, and I couldn't imagine not having custom swipes for my mbp trackpad for internet browsing.

mrkgoo

pj325is said:
I tend to agree with that, but multi touch is 10 times better with bettertouch. The magic mouse would be pretty worthless to me without it, and I couldn't imagine not having custom swipes for my mbp trackpad for internet browsing.
I know what you mean. Multitouch is a revolution - that alone is nearly a justification for a Mac system.

But I still like to think that the distinction between an Apple integrated version (as limited as it is) and an implementation by some guy on a blog is that the Apple version will be supported basically forever, and will not break between updates. Ironic in a way, seeing as 10.6 broke Apple's multitouch until 10.6.2 (in a minor way).

I know I'm perhaps being a bit stubborn, but that's just the way I feel. I got a Mac to make computing more simple not more difficult (meaning not having to worry about a whole bunch of extra stuff to do what I want).

Mar

pj325is said:

I've just been messing around with it on my Magic Mouse now. I can see why Apple hasn't enabled these - what I previously thought to be - basic features off the bat. Using Bettertouchtool to enable three finger swiping and tapping and all of those things is pretty hit and miss. It seems to have a hard time distinguishing various input methods when your hand is just doing general moving around on the surface.

Basically, while usable (and I'm certainly using it for my expose and show desktop), it's a bit rough. And while you can go into the advanced options and tweak the hell out of it to make the experience better for your own preferences and how you hold the mouse. It's not the most friendly and inviting set of features and would scare more people away than attract them I think.

Still, it's got me to put away my previous mouse and start using this Magic Mouse that was given to me. So that's a start I guess.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thinking about finally upgrading to Snow Leapord, but I heard there were tons of problems initially. How's it working out for you guys?

ConfusedMan09 said:
Its been a crappy day :(

A warning to those with unibody macs, the trackpad is very delicate...

img0071m.jpg

Damn. What a shame.

If it's under warranty then get it repaired.

I've actually seen pics almost identical to yours on another Mac forum. If you look at the motherboard, there is actually a screw directly below where the crack has formed. The crack is also in the shape of your finger, meaning it is extremely delicate and doen't just appear by accident.

It seems like a design fault to me.

Started College in September and have been meaning to pickup a laptop bag for my MacBook for a while now. Been looking at this one. Anybody own(ed) one of these? or have any recommendations for other bags.

Lol. I know what the blue dots are.
I just don't wanna scroll past 20 files to get to the one I want, when I can just have the one I want as I've already watched the other 20.

Akira

So I wanna install Windows 7 on my Mac. I can get the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $30 (plus $13 for the DVD). I was wondering if I can use that to install on my MBP or will I need to get the Full Install DVD (whatever it's called)?

I believe you need a previous version of Windows to install the upgrade. I don't, however, know if you need to have an "active" version of Windows to install the upgrade. Like borrowing someone's disk, and installing Win7 on top of it without activating it. It worked when I would re-install Vista on my desktop.

Drewsky

Where is the option to make it so when I click on a spot in my scroll bar it automatically snaps to that spot. I had it right on Leopard, but when I installed Snow Leopard it went back to the default where it scrolls to that spot. I just like it better the other way.

mrkgoo

Drewsky said:
Where is the option to make it so when I click on a spot in my scroll bar it automatically snaps to that spot. I had it right on Leopard, but when I installed Snow Leopard it went back to the default where it scrolls to that spot. I just like it better the other way.

Not sure if many people really know, but you can ask a question into system preferences. It will highlight where it thinks the preference is.

Look what happens when I type "SCROLL" -> first hit is scroll bar behaviour.
x6a2rp.png

Oh look, what happens when I hit scroll bar behaviour:
10yifx0.png

I know that the web browser is a personal preference, but I've been switching between THREE browsers (Safari, Opera, Firefox) :lol

I think I've settled on Safari, at least until I check out Chrome. Safari runs a lot better now than 4.0 did. I've turned the lame 'Top Sites' feature off and it's generally the fastest, least hassle free browser. Jesus, what happened to Firefox, it's been getting worse and worse on Windows for years.

Just two questions.

Is there anyway to set Safari so that it automatically opens a web link in a new tab, instead of a new window, I can't see this option and although holding down cmd works, it's an unnecessary step imo.

Does anybody else use Glimmerblocker? Are there any better filtersets along the lines of Adblock for firefox that would do the job of killing persistent pop-ups and banners?

LCfiner

Mar_ said:
I've just been messing around with it on my Magic Mouse now. I can see why Apple hasn't enabled these - what I previously thought to be - basic features off the bat. Using Bettertouchtool to enable three finger swiping and tapping and all of those things is pretty hit and miss. It seems to have a hard time distinguishing various input methods when your hand is just doing general moving around on the surface.

Basically, while usable (and I'm certainly using it for my expose and show desktop), it's a bit rough. And while you can go into the advanced options and tweak the hell out of it to make the experience better for your own preferences and how you hold the mouse. It's not the most friendly and inviting set of features and would scare more people away than attract them I think.

Still, it's got me to put away my previous mouse and start using this Magic Mouse that was given to me. So that's a start I guess.

I tend to agree with you. it's very easy to create too many confusing gestures in BTT and they don't always work great (eg: tip-tap gestures, zoom commands, three finger horizontal swipes). but, as a way to add, say, two finger tap, three finger tap and some two finger gestures, it's great.

BTT is the exact opposite of the Apple approach to the magic mouse. it allows you to do whatever you want and also allows you to dig yourself into a hole and confuse yourself with multiple gestures. and while I would have liked Apple to have provided options somewhere in the middle (like, say, their built-in trackpad options) I'll take the BTT way (and some self control) for now.

@liquid_gears. only way to set up the "open in new tab" command automatically is to download "glims" and set the option in there.

pj

Banned
Mar_ said:

It's not really fair to judge BTT like that. It has only existed for a few weeks, and it's being made by 1 swedish dude in his free time. If apple wanted to, they could have EASILY added support for basic things on the magic mouse like two finger swipe up/down, and rotate left/right.

mrkgoo

pj325is said:
It's not really fair to judge BTT like that. It has only existed for a few weeks, and it's being made by 1 swedish dude in his free time. If apple wanted to, they could have EASILY added support for basic things on the magic mouse like two finger swipe up/down, and rotate left/right.

While I think it's true that Apple could have implemented them, I believe they like to keep it simple as to not overwhelm. They could probably add in 3, 4 finger clicks onto a trackpad for example, but they don't. I'm actually a little surprised that they have so many gestures for trackpads, but I guess they have built that over time - they initially started with just two finger scrolling, adding later two finger click, then 2 finger gestures, then 3 finger gestures, then four finger gestures.

Drewsky

mrkgoo said:
Not sure if many people really know, but you can ask a question into system preferences. It will highlight where it thinks the preference is.

I'll definitely just type my questions in next time before I ask. I think I knew you could do that, just didn't occur to me.

Thank you sir.

mrkgoo

Drewsky said:
I'll definitely just type my questions in next time before I ask. I think I knew you could do that, just didn't occur to me.

Thank you sir.

No problem. I don't mind people asking here, it's how we find stuff out, but often the solution is simpler than you realise, especially if you KNOW the answer is there somewhere.

So I've had my Macbook Pro for about 4 months now and I'm as comfortable with it as I was with Windows, but one thing I can't get over is that if I have multiple windows open I have too hit expose to see what I have open and it just feels so inefficient. Any programs to remedy this?

Top Bottom