• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
first, charge up the battery, remove it from the mac and place it on a kitchen scale.

record the weight.

then, put it back in the mac, deplete the battery fully (this can be done in around 45 minutes by viewing some flash videos).

once the battery is empty, take it out and weigh the battery again

record the new weight.

take the difference in weight between the fully charged and empty batteries and divide by the mAh capacity of the battery. now take this value and multiply by 100 and assign it to the z-axis.

this value is your calibration vector. write it down and keep it in your wallet

And you're done.

:lol

Dartastic

I'm using my new MBP to play the L4D2, but Steam isn't detecting my onboard mic. I'm running Windows 7 by dual boot, and the OS itself is catching the mic. Is there anyway to get that working? If not, can I somehow jerryrig my 360's wired headset into my computer?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dartastic said:
I'm using my new MBP to play the L4D2, but Steam isn't detecting my onboard mic. I'm running Windows 7 by dual boot, and the OS itself is catching the mic. Is there anyway to get that working? If not, can I somehow jerryrig my 360's wired headset into my computer?

I have no idea, but it could be an issue with the drivers.. Technically, Windows 7 is not supported yet.

LCfiner

So I installed the flash beta last night and, yes, CPU utilization for non-HD videos has gone down. hooray. my example is a giantbomb video that was using around 40-45% CPU (out of 200% total), combined safari and 32 bit webkit plugin, after the video finished downloading.

prior to this update, that value had been closer to 65 to 70%. so I'll take it.

new 1080p videos on youtube still take up all 200% and runs with some dropped frames but it's smoother than the old version. it's still a waste, though. 720p youtube looks just as good since the compression is so high, and it runs a lot smoother.

Hey guys need some bluetooth help here.

Who has knowledge of the Magic Mouse and the aluminium keyboard? Basically I wanted to know if they go to sleep when I shut my MBP lid? I am not sure at all so I turn them off and it wastes about 10 secs everytime, and sometimes the keyboard doesn't even turn off.

Also, how do I properly turn off the keyboard, I have to hold the power button for like 8 secs, and still check it after. I do this in the morning when I leave for work or when I go to sleep, so I don't even know if I'm meant to turn it off, or sleep it

:(

ps* for me and other magic mouse users: http://theappleblog.com/2009/11/02/how-to-enable-expose-and-spaces-for-the-magic-mouse/

LCfiner

Mecha_Infantry said:
Hey guys need some bluetooth help here.

Who has knowledge of the Magic Mouse and the aluminium keyboard? Basically I wanted to know if they go to sleep when I shut my MBP lid? I am not sure at all so I turn them off and it wastes about 10 secs everytime, and sometimes the keyboard doesn't even turn off.

Also, how do I properly turn off the keyboard, I have to hold the power button for like 8 secs, and still check it after. I do this in the morning when I leave for work or when I go to sleep, so I don't even know if I'm meant to turn it off, or sleep it

:(

ps* for me and other magic mouse users: http://theappleblog.com/2009/11/02/how-to-enable-expose-and-spaces-for-the-magic-mouse/

used a bluetooth mighty mouse for a while and found that the battery never drained while the computer was in sleep overnight. it only used power while the computer was on. I can't comment on the keyboard.

I just got a magic mouse and I think it'll work the same as the mighty mouse. it should sleep when the computer sleeps. I'm not bothering to shut it off as I never bothered to shut off the mighty mouse.

Oh and there's a more flexible tool for the magic mouse gestures. it was linked last page.

better touch tool

http://blog.boastr.net/

it's still early in development but the problems i was having before (posted on prev page) have been fixed in a more recent build. you get 2 and three finger taps plus swipes on the magic mouse. oh, and clicking can be different from tapping, which is a nice touch (eg: 3 finger tap for middle click, 3 finger click for expose).

been working well since the update yesterday. and it doesn't use simbl, which is a plus.

LCfiner said:
used a bluetooth mighty mouse for a while and found that the battery never drained while the computer was in sleep overnight. it only used power while the computer was on. I can't comment on the keyboard.

I just got a magic mouse and I think it'll work the same as the mighty mouse. it should sleep when the computer sleeps. I'm not bothering to shut it off as I never bothered to shut off the mighty mouse.

Oh and there's a more flexible tool for the magic mouse gestures. it was linked last page.

better touch tool

http://blog.boastr.net/

it's still early in development but the problems i was having before (posted on prev page) have been fixed in a more recent build. you get 2 and three finger taps plus swipes on the magic mouse. oh, and clicking can be different from tapping, which is a nice touch (eg: 3 finger tap for middle click, 3 finger click for expose).

been working well since the update yesterday. and it doesn't use simbl, which is a plus.

Cheers for the fast reply :)

I will check out my battery and kb life when I get back, and then when I wake up again. I guess turning it off is only needed for like days on end of non use.

About BTT, I did d/l it, but it didn't work. I guess I'll read the instructions again but not much was happening when I tried. I'll try when I get back today, also I will install the flash, as I always did wonder wtf was up with Youtube and my fans

You never have to turn them off, except the mouse if you put it in a travel bag. If it's staying on your desk, it turns itself off when necessary.

You should have taken the hint when you noticed the powering off action was harder and more confusing than it should be. ;)

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You never have to turn them off, except the mouse if you put it in a travel bag. If it's staying on your desk, it turns itself off when necessary.

You should have taken the hint when you noticed the powering off action was harder and more confusing than it should be. ;)

True! These are apple devices, and I should have known there was an easier option.

That's pretty much the only problem I had with my MBP other than a bit of squeaking when I press the hinge (during cleaning). I've had it since like May and it's been wonderful :)

One shitty problem I had with Mail, was that it wasn't picking up my emails all the time. But it's been getting better slowly, I am not sure why? I might set my gmail accounts up as imap, if it's not already been done. Hopefully that should improve things

Does anyone have the problem where sometimes when you plug in a usb drive that it beachballs the whole system and you can't do anything? It comes back if I unplug the drive but I don't like doing it since the light is solidly light up likes it's accessing non-stop. If I unplug and replug in it comes back but I'm afraid that's going to corrupt something eventually. Any ideas why this is happening?

Jasoco

Banned
I installed the 10.1 Flash beta and maybe it's a placebo but it does seem to be using less resources. But time will tell. I mean it doesn't suck, so that's something.

But dammit. Apple and Adobe need to get the fuck over their little argument before something bad happens.

Adobe, just make a good resource light Flash for OS X and show one to Apple for the iPhone that would not kill battery life so fast.

And Apple, open up your damn API's for Adobe to make a better Flash. I mean I know you're all about pushing AJAX and the new AUDIO and VIDEO tags to replace Flash but it's not going to happen over night, and for now we need something good.

Just kiss and make up.

Jal

On a 13" MBP a 720p YT video i tested was using between 120-130% CPU @ around 80c in FF.
With the 10.1 beta same vid was using 100% CPU still around 80c so there is definitely an improvement but flash still sucks.

Jasoco

Banned
BTW, I had to uninstall the 10.1 beta because it literally was freezing up my browser like nothing ever has. Clicking would do nothing, then like 30 seconds later it would perform the click. I'm back to 10.0.

Oh well.

Jasoco said:
BTW, I had to uninstall the 10.1 beta because it literally was freezing up my browser like nothing ever has. Clicking would do nothing, then like 30 seconds later it would perform the click. I'm back to 10.0.

Oh well.

That's a shame, it's running quite smoothly on my machine. Although some Youtube videos pause themselves after I skip forward using the time bar

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Jasoco said:
I installed the 10.1 Flash beta and maybe it's a placebo but it does seem to be using less resources. But time will tell. I mean it doesn't suck, so that's something.

But dammit. Apple and Adobe need to get the fuck over their little argument before something bad happens.

Adobe, just make a good resource light Flash for OS X and show one to Apple for the iPhone that would not kill battery life so fast.

And Apple, open up your damn API's for Adobe to make a better Flash. I mean I know you're all about pushing AJAX and the new AUDIO and VIDEO tags to replace Flash but it's not going to happen over night, and for now we need something good.

Just kiss and make up.
yuck. i'm glad flash isn't coming anywhere near the iphone anytime soon.

Saya

Microsoft Word (Mac version) question. Does anyone know how to start the page numbering in a report on the third page with no numbering on the first two pages? And I need to have report start counting from 3. I can't get it to work.

LCfiner

Saya said:
Microsoft Word (Mac version) question. Does anyone know how to start the page numbering in a report on the third page with no numbering on the first two pages? And I need to have report start counting from 3. I can't get it to work.

this kinda shit was the bane of my existence back in university with Word in 1997 :lol Brings back memories.

Wish I could help but I have no idea if they've changed the page numbering interface.

abq

Saya said:
I'm not an expert on Word, but section break + deactivating "link to previous" on the first page of the new section in the footer toolbar might do the trick.

mrkgoo

abq said:
I'm not an expert on Word, but section break + deactivating "link to previous" on the first page of the new section in the footer toolbar might do the trick.

That's what I did on my thesis.

Borman

Anyone know how I could take screenshots of a video, at a set rate (Say, every 15 seconds or so)? Obviously, I know how to do it manually, I just would rather not sit there for another hour or so taking pictures. A nice, easy program or way to do it on VLC/Mplayer would be great. Thanks!

linkboy

Borman said:
Anyone know how I could take screenshots of a video, at a set rate (Say, every 15 seconds or so)? Obviously, I know how to do it manually, I just would rather not sit there for another hour or so taking pictures. A nice, easy program or way to do it on VLC/Mplayer would be great. Thanks!

This is taken right from the VLC FAQ

How can I take screenshots?

To take a snapshot of the video displayed by VLC, you just need to press the pre-defined snapshot hotkey:

* Windows / Linux / Unix: Ctrl+Alt+S
* Mac OS X: Command+Alt+s

To change it, go to Preferences -> Interface -> Hotkeys settings, check Advanced options, and set Take video snapshot.

You can also take a snaphot via the menu Video -> Snapshot.

To change the snapshot format or directory, go to Preferences -> Video.

That should work, but I doubt there is a way to get it to automate every 15 seconds.

Borman

Yeah I know that part of it. But there has got to be a way, with VLC or otherwise, to take it autmatically. Ive seen places that post recaps of shows online where they take small screenshots every x amount of time, but of course I cant find that now to figure it out :p

Jasoco

Banned
julls said:
yuck. i'm glad flash isn't coming anywhere near the iphone anytime soon.
It wouldn't have to be real Flash. Just a way to detect when a flash file is a video, then like it does on pages with embedded YouTube clicking it would open a separate fullscreen flash player. At least then you could view the only flash files left on the Internet worth looking at. Ads would be ignored. Just flash with a video source attached to it. Then sites like Hulu and SouthParkStudios could be set up to work with it.

Side note: One thing that grinds my gears is YouTube videos that are purposely set up to not allow playback on portable devices. Bullshit.

abq

Borman said:
Yeah I know that part of it. But there has got to be a way, with VLC or otherwise, to take it autmatically. Ive seen places that post recaps of shows online where they take small screenshots every x amount of time, but of course I cant find that now to figure it out :p
Small separate screenshots or small screenshots combined into one picture? If the latter, Media Player Classic (not to be confused with Windows Media Player) should work (File > Save Thumbnails). MPC is not on OSX, though.

mrkgoo

Jet Grind Radio! said:
A friend recommended iSquint. I have it, but have not used it yet.
It was my go to before handbrake started doing video files. However, iSquint could only convert to a certain file format. If you need something else, then handbrake is your man. Or something.

Tobor

Jasoco said:
It wouldn't have to be real Flash. Just a way to detect when a flash file is a video, then like it does on pages with embedded YouTube clicking it would open a separate fullscreen flash player. At least then you could view the only flash files left on the Internet worth looking at. Ads would be ignored. Just flash with a video source attached to it. Then sites like Hulu and SouthParkStudios could be set up to work with it.

Side note: One thing that grinds my gears is YouTube videos that are purposely set up to not allow playback on portable devices. Bullshit.

Hulu wouldn't allow their videos to be shown that way, anyway. I expect Hulu to roll out a dedicated iPhone app with their new pay service next year anyway.

Steve Jobs will see Adobe in hell.

Upgraded my internal to 1TB today on my iMac. It wasn't too hard, other than the fact that I was nervous, as I didn't want to brick my computer. :lol

Feels good, man.

EDIT: What's the best deal on upgrading to 4GB of RAM out there? I'm running 2GB right now, [it seems as if my iMac came with two 1GB sticks...], and I want to move up to four. Sucks that I can't just buy another stick of 2GB, as Apple decided to split the RAM into two 1GB sticks. :/

RJNavarrete said:
Upgraded my internal to 1TB today on my iMac. It wasn't too hard, other than the fact that I was nervous, as I didn't want to brick my computer. :lol

Feels good, man.

EDIT: What's the best deal on upgrading to 4GB of RAM out there? I'm running 2GB right now, [it seems as if my iMac came with two 1GB sticks...], and I want to move up to four. Sucks that I can't just buy another stick of 2GB, as Apple decided to split the RAM into two 1GB sticks. :/

Crucial memory is <3

Oh friends, please assist me. How the HELL an I get a good (free) converter of .wma -> .mp3? iTunes won't let me import some albums because I was a bad by before I came over to OS X :(!

abq

Mecha_Infantry said:
Oh friends, please assist me. How the HELL an I get a good (free) converter of .wma -> .mp3? iTunes won't let me import some albums because I was a bad by before I came over to OS X :(!
I'd rerip the files to mp3 if possible rather than converting them. Otherwise, I don't know for sure, but Audacity might work.

Mar

Some dude bought a 24" iMac here at work. My boss practically forced me to take the Magic Mouse that came with it. He said it would just confuse the user as he isn't technical at all. The poor bastard has been lumped with a Mighty.

The sad part is I don't think I like the Magic Mouse at all. I have to have my expose on a mouse button or I just can't work. The Magic Mouse has been shut away in my desk...

rezuth

Mar_ said:
Some dude bought a 24" iMac here at work. My boss practically forced me to take the Magic Mouse that came with it. He said it would just confuse the user as he isn't technical at all. The poor bastard has been lumped with a Mighty.

The sad part is I don't think I like the Magic Mouse at all. I have to have my expose on a mouse button or I just can't work. The Magic Mouse has been shut away in my desk...
What? Gimme that mouse, fool!

For some odd reason I can't connect to my friend's wireless router. I put in his password when trying to connect to his network but I can't press the "Join" button. However if i put one more letter at the end of the pass world I can click the button, but obviously it doesn't work since it isn't the right password.

Can anyone help me please?

Mar

Flying_Phoenix said:
For some odd reason I can't connect to my friend's wireless router. I put in his password when trying to connect to his network but I can't press the "Join" button. However if i put one more letter at the end of the pass world I can click the button, but obviously it doesn't work since it isn't the right password.

You might have chosen the wrong security method. There are a couple and they all require a password of particular length. If you have it set to something other than what the router is set to, it will expect more or less characters.

Mar_ said:
You might have chosen the wrong security method. There are a couple and they all require a password of particular length. If you have it set to something other than what the router is set to, it will expect more or less characters.

See I've done that but it didn't work.

Mar_ said:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/wep_keys.htm

The length of a WEP key depends on the type of WEP security (called "encryption") utilized:

* 40- / 64-bit WEP: 10 digit key
* 104- / 128-bit WEP: 26 digit key
* 256-bit WEP: 58 digit key

The password is like 6 or 7 characters.

Mar

Flying_Phoenix said:
See I've done that but it didn't work.

The password is like 6 or 7 characters.

Sounds like an ascii generated conversion of a 10 digit hex key.

* 64bits encryption = 5 ASCII characters
* 128bits encryption = 13 ASCII characters
* 152bits encryption = 16 ASCII characters
* 256bits encryption = 29 ASCII characters

So your password is probably 5 characters, with 64bit encryption?

I don't know. Maybe I'm going down the completely wrong path here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Flying_Phoenix said:

if its WEP, you'll need to ask him for the HEX password. Different routers and different computers have different ways of generating the HEX from the ascii password - there isn't a set standard.

I had this problem with my Dad's network. Ascii works fine on his XP machine, but my OSX machine wouldn't connect - had to use the raw HEX password in the end

Mar_ said:

It's a one button mouse. How is the Mighty less confusing?

Top Bottom