• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

pj

Banned
I calibrated my year old MBP battery a month or two ago and..
yOi

It has 153 cycles now so it was probably 130ish when I last calibrated. When the computer was brand new the capacity was 105%

Mar

The Chosen One said:
Also does anyone here have a Macbook Air?

I was wondering if anyone here was able to get the remote shared DVD/CD to work. I really would like to watch DVDs on my laptop. I hope I don't have to buy an external DVD drive instead.

Yeah I'm on an MBA. I can't help you though because I bought a Super Drive with it ;).

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
even though my general browser of choice is Firefox (i can't function in life without keyboard browsing), the Mac version of Chrome is shaping up to be a very, very excellent browser. the interface is sparse and fits with OSX, very speedy, and already has a third-party extension that can load adblock plus blocklists.

use Chromatic to download/update the latest nightly builds - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/32856

ABP for Chrome is here - http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/adblock/

hirokazu

scorcho said:
even though my general browser of choice is Firefox (i can't function in life without keyboard browsing), the Mac version of Chrome is shaping up to be a very, very excellent browser. the interface is sparse and fits with OSX, very speedy, and already has a third-party extension that can load adblock plus blocklists.

use Chromatic to download/update the latest nightly builds - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/32856

ABP for Chrome is here - http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/adblock/
I do agree, Chrome is nice and very fast. But I hate that intrusive Google Updater shit that gets installed with all Google software on Mac. Could they not just check for updates when the application is launched? It doesn't tell you anything, it downloads updates without telling you anything, it updates the apps without telling you anything. And there's no easy option to disable it. If you remove it manually, it gets reinstalled whenever a Google application that uses it is launched again.

That's far too intrusive for me, and dare I say, evil.

hirokazu said:
I do agree, Chrome is nice and very fast. But I hate that intrusive Google Updater shit that gets installed with all Google software on Mac. Could they not just check for updates when the application is launched? It doesn't tell you anything, it downloads updates without telling you anything, it updates the apps without telling you anything. And there's no easy option to disable it. If you remove it manually, it gets reinstalled whenever a Google application that uses it is launched again.

It's how everything should be. Why do I give a shit that something is downloading a new version when I'm not using my bandwidth, and why do I need to see a progress meter when it can just update in the background?

If you don't trust your software, don't use it. It makes no sense to trust a browser to work as a browser and keep you safe but then distrust its updating mechanism.

kennah

My battery is at 91% health after 1146 cycles. (yes, eleven hundred). Computer and battery are three years old exactly.

Pctx

Banned
kennah said:
My battery is at 91% health after 1146 cycles. (yes, eleven hundred). Computer and battery are three years old exactly.
Yeah but probably doesn't last 5 mins off AC power right?

We're @ 400 charges and the thing shuts off after 5-10 mins of being off AC power.

fireside

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's how everything should be. Why do I give a shit that something is downloading a new version when I'm not using my bandwidth, and why do I need to see a progress meter when it can just update in the background?

If you don't trust your software, don't use it. It makes no sense to trust a browser to work as a browser and keep you safe but then distrust its updating mechanism.
Shit happens, no matter who writes the software. Auto updates are stupid because there is always a chance that there could possibly be some system destroying bug.

mrkgoo

Mecha_Infantry said:
First of the month, I do it twice a month.. (are my stats bad :(?)

No they sound 'too good'.

I would think battery health would be less than 97% after 160 cycles (unless you have the new 5 year battery).

I find calibration doesn't work every time - you have to charge, deplete and charge - sometimes it calibrates sometimes it doesn't - supposedly the deplete should be for several hours on sleep.

Mine's at 370 cycles, and while it says a health of 60%, I think it's less than that (if that percentage even means anything). I get maybe 1-1.5 hours on a full charge, and anywhere near 20% it could either warn me, go to sleep, or just shut off. I calibrate once a month or so, but I found the calibration can 'not work' if it's already miscalibrated sometimes and just shuts off.

Something that is bothering me. I notice when I open the Finder I see something under "shared":

2ujrq69.png

Does this simply show that there is another computer around the area with a wireless or what?

teiresias

As far as I know you'll only see that if someone has enabled sharing on their computer. Of course, I can't tell if that's a Mac or a PC you're seeing shared, but regardless I think they'd have to actually be on your network if you're seeing it there. You're sure you have your network secured properly, or aren't inadvertently connecting to the wrong network?

fireside said:
Shit happens, no matter who writes the software. Auto updates are stupid because there is always a chance that there could possibly be some system destroying bug.
Vista and newer and OSX do not allow you access to destroying a system in an auto-update. Unless you're seeing a password prompt, the worst an application with an automatic updater can do is destroy itself.

Like I said, if you guys don't trust applications, why use them? I'm not speaking about Chrome, but every application in general. They are all capable of doing many automatic things just as potentially devastating or untrustworthy as an auto-update. I don't see how being able to see a progress meter fill up can give you such a sense of security.

abq

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well my router is connected to a Windows machine.
It's definitely a windows machine (the icon is an old crt and bsod, quicklook it). On your windows machine, try right-clicking My Computer and pick Properties. You should see the name of your windows machine and hopefully it matches the one in your screenshot.

fireside

Vista and newer and OSX do not allow you access to destroying a system in an auto-update. Unless you're seeing a password prompt, the worst an application with an automatic updater can do is destroy itself.

Like I said, if you guys don't trust applications, why use them? I'm not speaking about Chrome, but every application in general. They are all capable of doing many automatic things just as potentially devastating or untrustworthy as an auto-update. I don't see how being able to see a progress meter fill up can give you such a sense of security.
It's not that seeing a progress meter fill up gives you a sense of security it's the fact that only you get to decide when to install the update that gives you the sense of security. I generally wait a week or so before installing any updates to major applications or the system in case there is a bad bug. For example, Nintendo recently released a Wii update that broke the system. By not immediately installing it I prevented the risk of it breaking my console. I can't avoid this risk if everything decides to update itself without my permission.

Having Chrome update itself without you knowing is neat I guess but I'm not sure the average user will be happy when he wakes up one day and all of his bookmarks are gone or the application simply doesn't start and he has no idea why. Or if iPhoto updates itself and there's a bug that deletes his entire iPhoto library. Things like that are rare but it's foolish to think that they'll never happen.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
fireside said:
It's not that seeing a progress meter fill up gives you a sense of security it's the fact that only you get to decide when to install the update that gives you the sense of security. I generally wait a week or so before installing any updates to major applications or the system in case there is a bad bug. For example, Nintendo recently released a Wii update that broke the system. By not immediately installing it I prevented the risk of it breaking my console. I can't avoid this risk if everything decides to update itself without my permission.

Having Chrome update itself without you knowing is neat I guess but I'm not sure the average user will be happy when he wakes up one day and all of his bookmarks are gone or the application simply doesn't start and he has no idea why. Or if iPhoto updates itself and there's a bug that deletes his entire iPhoto library. Things like that are rare but it's foolish to think that they'll never happen.

Very well said my friend. Wouldn't call you a junior myself.

If you can not see why stealth updates are a bad thing, then you aren't opening your eyes. Secondly Googles stats/info collection is extremly scary. Thirdly, as I found out on Windows, Chrome circumvents the usual administrator O/S security and further more fucks up the use of different profiles leaves Chrome on the outskirts for me.

On OSX I use Firefox and sometimes Safari for websites that don't render in FF properly. If you tweak FF then it's a wonder. Limit your add ons, don't keep tonnes of flash based tabs open and it will be excellent. I've only had to restart my machine today due to an update, but normally I sleep my MBP and FF still has it's tabs open for maybe about 1-2 weeks and I have NO problems. I don't ever think since I tweaked it that it's crashed on me!

As for my battery I am running it down now, until about this evening (Sunday over here in the UK), so I can get a true understanding of the battery life

abq said:
It's definitely a windows machine (the icon is an old crt and bsod, quicklook it). On your windows machine, try right-clicking My Computer and pick Properties. You should see the name of your windows machine and hopefully it matches the one in your screenshot.

Thanks.

It just says "owner" not "owner-kcl9hwb"...I assume that it doesn't matter right?

15wmdtj.jpg

Schrade said:
Click on the Computer Name tab. That's where your computer's name is. The Computer Name is what shows up on the network.

The tab you're showing is just the part where the "full name" shows up. You can edit it with some misc tools.

Yep, it's the same one.

Thanks for the help guys!

:D

Schrade

Flying_Phoenix said:
Thanks.

It just says "owner" not "owner-kcl9hwb"...I assume that it doesn't matter right?

[ IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/15wmdtj.jpg[/IMG]
Click on the Computer Name tab. That's where your computer's name is. The Computer Name is what shows up on the network.

The tab you're showing is just the part where the "full name" shows up. You can edit it with some misc tools.

hirokazu said:
There's nothing wrong with the OS X version of FIrefox except that it's not as well integrates into the OS as other apps, for example it doesn't allow any services.

What is wrong with Firefox is that it eats up a shitton of memory and CPU time if you have a lot of extensions and it becomes unstable. But that's not a problem unique to the Mac version.

Actually, I find the opposite is true. Firefox 3.6b, while not as fast as Safari, is pretty efficient with memory. It consistently stays around 180-300mb with about 7-14 tabs open, while Safari will bloat to over 500mb very fast. I've had Firefox open for several hours tonight with 7 tabs open and it's hovering around 220mb.

I have no idea what kind of memory usage Chrome gets on OS X- I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences.

scorcho

hirokazu said:

since chromium is the main development fork it doesn't install google update as far as i've seen

fireside said:
likewise a system destroying bug/security exploit that an auto-update would've prevented from being exploited.

fireside said:
Things like that are rare but it's foolish to think that they'll never happen.
I'm sure we'll all have a great story to tell about the day Chrome irreparably broke half of the world's computers.

I know what you're saying, but my point still stands that if you don't trust software, why are you using any? I can't get into the sort of paranoia or control freak sort of mindset where I would have to postpone updating or check to make sure everything's okay with what's happening because I couldn't trust my software to be exactly what I thought it would be when I started using it. I have computers because they accomplish certain tasks, so I can't get into the act of task managing the tools for my tasks.

It reminds me of people that have Firefox locked down with Adblock, NoScript, CookieSafe, proxies, etc. They love the Internet so much that they're willing to manually intercept transmissions from it to make sure it's okay instead of trusting that a browser used by a large portion of the world's online population is probably going to handle things just fine on its own.

Mad Hatter said:
Actually, I find the opposite is true. Firefox 3.6b, while not as fast as Safari, is pretty efficient with memory. It consistently stays around 180-300mb with about 7-14 tabs open, while Safari will bloat to over 500mb very fast. I've had Firefox open for several hours tonight with 7 tabs open and it's hovering around 220mb.

I have no idea what kind of memory usage Chrome gets on OS X- I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences.
It doesn't matter how much memory is being used. You want your memory being used. It's why you have so much. What matters is how gracefully the application handles sharing memory with other applications or just generally not being a slow bastard about what it has. Firefox fails in this regard compared to the other browsers.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hey guys is there an app to change the wallpaper based on the time of day. Like I want to be able to have a wallpaper while I'm at work and then a different one at home.

Shiggie said:
Is it too late to calibrate?
2llhooz.jpg

woah, any idea why it has the black boarder?

You can calibrate whenever, it just determines your battery's true life. As for the boarder it's normally when you save a .png as a jpeg

hirokazu

Because

a) in my country, we have bandwidth caps, so I don't like software automatically downloading shit

b) I should at least be given a choice of whether to use auto update, or when to apply an update

c) I should be told when software install daemons and be given an easy way to remove them

d) Pretty much everyone else writing software on the Mac does it on app launch. Why the hell do you need to install a daemon to dial home for updates? Google software isn't that important, so they shouldn't try to make themselves feel they are.

How about if everybody decided they should also have the privelige to do it the way Google does? A dozen or two daemons doing nothing useful but ringing home to check for updates, no proper notice of their installation, and continuing to run after the apps that installed them have been removed. No wait, this is all OK, because these things, like, autoupdate your apps, man! >_>

And no, apart from giving them a test runs, I don't use Chrome or whatever other Google Desktop app ever since they started bundling the Updater. It's not all about trust. They can offer the feature to folks like you for all I care, but it's not really asking to much to have the OPTION to choose the update mechanism and the OPTION to uninstall the update mechanism.

fireside

I'm sure we'll all have a great story to tell about the day Chrome irreparably broke half of the world's computers.

I know what you're saying, but my point still stands that if you don't trust software, why are you using any? I can't get into the sort of paranoia or control freak sort of mindset where I would have to postpone updating or check to make sure everything's okay with what's happening because I couldn't trust my software to be exactly what I thought it would be when I started using it. I have computers because they accomplish certain tasks, so I can't get into the act of task managing the tools for my tasks.
Why do you think it's about not trusting software developers? Of course I trust them. But just because I trust someone doesn't mean they won't ever make a mistake. Software developers are people, too.

Blackhead

Redarse

It reminds me of people that have Firefox locked down with Adblock, NoScript, CookieSafe, proxies, etc. They love the Internet so much that they're willing to manually intercept transmissions from it to make sure it's okay instead of trusting that a browser used by a large portion of the world's online population is probably going to handle things just fine on its own.
Ooh thanks for that recommendation, I didn't have CookieSafe installed yet.

Forget trust for a minute here, it's also about control. Would you give up the option to determine what gets installed on your computer and let some software pick what gets added whenever it wants?

Shiggie

Mecha_Infantry said:
You can calibrate whenever, it just determines your battery's true life. As for the boarder it's normally when you save a .png as a jpeg
Thanks. Also it saves automatically as a jpeg. Im doing 'Command+Shift+4+Space' I guess it changed somehow. Is there a way to change it back?

Is anybody having any of these problems? They only seem to have appeared after the last update.

1. - Applications like Firefox, Microsoft Office and a few others are constantly asking if I should allow them access to the internet. I've checked and they all have a green light behind the firewall.

2. - I have a Windows machine named 'desktop' connected. It appears under the 'shared' section of finder. I download a lot of files such as images, PDFs, Videos etc to my desktop. Every web browser that I've tried has automatically started downloading these files to my desktop on the Windows machine, and not to my desktop on the mac. It's really annoying becuase it's hard to tell the difference between the locations in a small finder window. Has anybody had this issue before? I'll change the name of the windows machine and see if that fixed the problem.

KtSlime

This probably isn't the right thread but I'll give it a go:

So I have a mac, and an iPhone, and I am in a language program that uses REALLY old video in mov format(probably sorenson, but who knows). Anyway, I want to rip the audio from these videos into mp3 and put them on my iPhone so I can listen to them.

I have tried all the logical ways of doing it, I tried converting in quicktime player, but that only results in crashes. I have imported it into itunes, which it will play, but the convert to mp3 section is greyed out. I have searched the internet, and downloaded the program max, but it will not take the files.

Please, can I get some advise on how to convert these files to mp3.

Thanks.

LCfiner

Burai said:
Flash 10.1 preview release available.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

It doesn't feature hardware acceleration like the PC version does, but it will reduce your CPU usage pretty dramatically. Reports say that it's cut from 75% to 25%.

Don't forget to uninstall the old version of Flash before installing this.

I'll be testing this tonight to see how my CPU responds as I catch up on the giantbomb Endurance run.

I assume that "uninstalling" the old flash player means deleting the plug-in from the internet plug-ins folder. Can someone tell me if there's more to it?

scorcho

ivedoneyourmom said:
This probably isn't the right thread but I'll give it a go:

So I have a mac, and an iPhone, and I am in a language program that uses REALLY old video in mov format(probably sorenson, but who knows). Anyway, I want to rip the audio from these videos into mp3 and put them on my iPhone so I can listen to them.

I have tried all the logical ways of doing it, I tried converting in quicktime player, but that only results in crashes. I have imported it into itunes, which it will play, but the convert to mp3 section is greyed out. I have searched the internet, and downloaded the program max, but it will not take the files.

Please, can I get some advise on how to convert these files to mp3.

Thanks.
Try ffmpegx and convert it to a standalone audio file

Burai said:
Flash 10.1 preview release available.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

It doesn't feature hardware acceleration like the PC version does, but it will reduce your CPU usage pretty dramatically. Reports say that it's cut from 75% to 25%.

Don't forget to uninstall the old version of Flash before installing this.
Is acceleration planned for 10.1 on OS X, or is Adobe just not doing it at all? Because I'm really starting to get sick of this Mac BS.

I don't think I want to install 10.1 just yet. Flash isn't stable enough as it is, let alone in a pre-release state. I'll still check it out though.

giga

In their release notes, they state that the H.264 acceleration API isn't open. Seems odd, as you can definitely hook into Quicktime X, but I suspect there might be some sort of hitch between a QTMovie played through Flash Player.

Otherwise though it's been fine for me. One can finally scroll in flash using your mouse/trackpad.

LCfiner said:
gee, sure would be nice if Adobe linked to this page when they mention to uninstall flash 10. they don't even mention that it exists.
This. I'm assuming I have both installed, now, or something.

giga said:
Otherwise though it's been fine for me. One can finally scroll in flash using your mouse/trackpad.
I would have been happy with just this, really.

Does it still steal your mouse clicks and browser keyboard shortcuts? I'm not installing this on my work computer.

LCfiner

Ad Infinitum said:
I have no idea what you guys are on about with calibrating batteries. I want in on the fun.

first, charge up the battery, remove it from the mac and place it on a kitchen scale.

record the weight.

then, put it back in the mac, deplete the battery fully (this can be done in around 45 minutes by viewing some flash videos).

once the battery is empty, take it out and weigh the battery again

record the new weight.

take the difference in weight between the fully charged and empty batteries and divide by the mAh capacity of the battery. now take this value and multiply by 100 and assign it to the z-axis.

this value is your calibration vector. write it down and keep it in your wallet

And you're done.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The Chosen One said:
Also does anyone here have a Macbook Air?

I was wondering if anyone here was able to get the remote shared DVD/CD to work. I really would like to watch DVDs on my laptop. I hope I don't have to buy an external DVD drive instead.

I have a MacBook Air, and have used the Remote Disc shared off my W7 machine just fine. I've never watched a DVD from it, though, but I dont' see why it wouldn't work, seeing as how I installed Show Leopard via that way and it worked great.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
LCfiner said:
first, charge up the battery, remove it from the mac and place it on a kitchen scale.

record the weight.

then, put it back in the mac, deplete the battery fully (this can be done in around 45 minutes by viewing some flash videos).

once the battery is empty, take it out and weigh the battery again

record the new weight.

take the difference in weight between the fully charged and empty batteries and divide by the mAh capacity of the battery. now take this value and multiply by 100 and assign it to the z-axis.

this value is your calibration vector. write it down and keep it in your wallet

And you're done.

:lol that reminded me of Look Around You.

Top Bottom