• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

mrkgoo

hirokazu said:
1. My Time Machine on this iMac (Late 2006) stopped backing up automatically several months ago. I can get it to back up fine if I manually click Back up now, otherwise when the next scheduled backup time comes and passes, it does nothing except change the next scheduled backup time to some time later. The Time Machine drive is connected to the AirPort Extreme. There is a MacBook (Early 2006) configured to back up to the same drive which does it with no problem. WHY?

2. iMac (Late 2009), I switched on Internet Sharing from Ethernet to AirPort yesterday and it worked fine. Today, there was no arrow on the Airport menubar icon, it wasn't sharing, but otherwise it was normal. If I try to switch on Internet Sharing to AirPort, the arrow never shows up, Console log says the AirPort thing exited with code 1, and will be restarted by launchd in 10 seconds, so something seems to have crashed. This message is logged to Console indefinitely every 10 seconds, so it continues to crash as soon as it's respawned. I also cannot create an ad-hoc Computer-to-Computer network on this computer, same problem. AirPort debug log seems to show it fails to assign BSSID to a channel in order to become the AirPort server for others to connect to.

Search of the Internet shows a lot of people had this problem with Snow Leopard, some were fixed when updating to 10.6.2 or AirPort Client Update 2009-002. The computer came preinstalled with 10.6.2 and the AirPort update was downloaded and installed last week when setting up the computer out of the box. Tried all manner of possible fixes apart from downright reinstalling the whole OS since it was set up in a work environment, nothing works. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?

As far as I know, this is a nasty bug that Apple hasn't been able to fix since Snow Leopard came out. Fucking ridiculous.

I've had weird issues with internet connection sharing in that it would sometimes just shut off.

Such is networking. It's no fun.

So I have a 120GB hard drive with 74GB free. I tried to create a 32GB* partition with the Bootcamp assistant. I get an error...

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended volume."

Since I think like a Windows PC, my first thought is "oh, fragmentation." I've researched this a bit and from what I can tell, there should never be any reason to defrag a Mac, and there is no defrag utility built into the OS. So what's the deal here?

I've already decided to do the clean install thing but I still want to learn about what's gone awry here.

*(why 32? Well there's that "Use 32GB" button there, so it seemed like a good idea. Now I can get around this problem by using 20GB, but I'm curious.)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
thechristoph said:
So I have a 120GB hard drive with 74GB free. I tried to create a 32GB* partition with the Bootcamp assistant. I get an error...

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended volume."

Since I think like a Windows PC, my first thought is "oh, fragmentation." I've researched this a bit and from what I can tell, there should never be any reason to defrag a Mac, and there is no defrag utility built into the OS. So what's the deal here?

I've already decided to do the clean install thing but I still want to learn about what's gone awry here.

*(why 32? Well there's that "Use 32GB" button there, so it seemed like a good idea. Now I can get around this problem by using 20GB, but I'm curious.)

You don't have separate partitions already, do you? Mine hung up when my drive was partitioned and I had to merge them together before Boot Camp would make the Windows partition.

btkadams

thechristoph said:

i have this same problem! but i can't avoid it even at 20gb. it just constantly says it. the speed of my comp this past week makes me think my drive might be failing though. open up Disk Utility in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder and try verifying your hard drive. it might find an error in the drive. i'd like to know what's going on as well!

thechristoph said:

Files over a certain limit (I think it's 2 or 4 GB) are not automatically defragmented. You'll need iDefrag or something to get those cleaned up. Boot Camp requires continuous defragmented space.

H_Prestige said:
If I want to install windows 7 on my macbook pro (2gb ram), is there any reason why I should install 32bit over 64bit?
You have it backwards. Why should you install 64-bit if you only have 2 GB of RAM?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You have it backwards. Why should you install 64-bit if you only have 2 GB of RAM?

I don't know. I was wondering if there would be any performance issues installing 64bit instead of 32bit.

Jasoco

Banned
I asked this in a separate thread but no one answered. :(

What is the best way to synchronize all my bookmarks between all my browsers on OS X? All my bookmarks are in Firefox. But I imported them to Chrome. But I want to be able to have them be in one place and synchronized between all my browsers. Including Safari which would then synchronize with my iPod touch. I tried Xmarks but the Chrome version fucked up my browser and I had to manually remove it from the Finder Library to get Chrome to work again. And Google's own Bookmarks sync feature doesn't sync to Google Bookmarks like you'd think. Instead it syncs to Google Docs. WTF is that shit? *sigh*

luoapp

Use some online bookmarking service? iGoogle if you're using gmail already. It may not be great if you have more than 20 bookmarks due to the lack of organization. But there must be some website better than google.

Jasoco

Banned
luoapp said:
Use some online bookmarking service? iGoogle if you're using gmail already. It may not be great if you have more than 20 bookmarks due to the lack of organization. But there must be some website better than google.
But I still want to use the browsers own bookmarking features. Like the stars in Chrome and Firefox or the + in Safari. I just want the browsers to sync those new bookmarks up to the same source then back down into other browsers next time.

Xmarks is supposed to do that, but their Chrome version sucks ass. For me at least. Freezing browsers are not fun. Especially when it takes over the browser framework itself, not an individual tab. When the browser itself freezes, you can't do nothing. At all. When a tab freezes, you can still close it.

NJ Shlice

Okay, so I download a program (1Password) and its in my downloads stack, i click on it and now there is a 1Password icon on the right hand side. Now it says "Drag into Applications folder to install." I do that and this is what I get. WTF?

How do I install it? Where does it show the install progress? How do I know when it's done?

20100130-b6gp7rrs1xhyacx2j4g6niphs8.jpg

*EDIT: Also, After I maximize a window, how do I un-maximize back to the original size that I had the window?

koam

NJ x Falkor said:
Okay, so I download a program (1Password) and its in my downloads stack, i click on it and now there is a 1Password icon on the right hand side. Now it says "Drag into Applications folder to install." I do that and this is what I get. WTF?

How do I install it? Where does it show the install progress? How do I know when it's done?

*EDIT: Also, After I maximize a window, how do I un-maximize back to the original size that I had the window?

We've all been there! :lol

Welcome to the best feature of OSX!

You don't "Install" apps in osx (or at least, it's extremely rare). You basically download dmg files (which are packages) and you have two options:

1) Copy it into the applications folder and you're done.. Open it, run it, that's all. When you want to "uninstall" it. Just delete that one file and that's it

2) Don't do anything and just run the image as-is. You can run the app fully but when you reboot, the app is gone. This is useful for apps that you only need to run once. If you want to remove the app without rebooting, go to your desktop, click on it and choose "eject". Presto it's gone.

Ain't OSX great? Fuck you Windows Registry.

Yellow button on the top.

koam

Flying_Phoenix said:

This is exactly why i'm pissed. The first link ONLY carries video and the second only carries sound. It's annoying having two wires going to the tv instead of the one with HDMI. If my laptop was part of the media center, it wouldn't be so bad since it doesn't work but it's not; it's a laptop i take it with me all the time. That's why I got the one I did.

Hey guys. My macbook pro just had a "hard crash". (The screen darkened and it asked me to power it down due to a kernel panic") I restarted and after thinking a while it booted back in. However when I logged in my wallpaper was gone and the default space one is now up. Anyone have any idea what happened?

Okay guys. I am seriously considering jumping to a MacBook Pro (13" model, I think) and just had some questions regarding the transition to OS X. Is it difficult to transition? Would I be confused about where to find files or applications? I have been a DOS/Windows user my whole life and have no idea how i'd feel with a Mac.

Lastly, could someone recommend the 13" MacBook Pro low end model?

thewesker said:
Okay guys. I am seriously considering jumping to a MacBook Pro (13" model, I think) and just had some questions regarding the transition to OS X. Is it difficult to transition? Would I be confused about where to find files or applications? I have been a DOS/Windows user my whole life and have no idea how i'd feel with a Mac.

No problem. Once you learn control in windows = apple/command button in mac you're pretty much set.

NJ Shlice

How do I 'Cut' a file from a folder and "Paste" it in another folder? (On windows it is Right Click > Cut..... Right Click > Paste. Do I really have to click on the file and drag it through all of the folders until I get to the folder I want it in?

Axis

NJ x Falkor said:
How do I 'Cut' a file from a folder and "Paste" it in another folder? (On windows it is Right Click > Cut..... Right Click > Paste. Do I really have to click on the file and drag it through all of the folders until I get to the folder I want it in?

You can do the same thing - if you have a two button mouse.

If not, just press command+c after selecting the file and then command+v to paste it in the destination folder.

mrkgoo

NJ x Falkor said:

You can't cut and paste a file.

The answer is yes, you have to drag it through all the folders. Or you can open another window and drag from one to the other.

One day you will understand.

Axis said:
You can do the same thing - if you have a two button mouse.

If not, just press command+c after selecting the file and then command+v to paste it in the destination folder.

No it's true, you can't do it.

OMG HOW CAN THIS BE?! MAK OS X SUKS.

Nvm.

thewesker said:

It's really not that bad if you dont' mind giving it a week or so. The major difference is you drag programs to your app folder to "install" them but if you double click the install (.dmg) it'll usually open a window to make it easier to drag than you having to open the window yourself. Pretty much all of the key strokes are the same you just switch control with command to do them.

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does CMD+X do it like in windows? I don't have my mac in front of me but like 99% off the shortcuts are the same between systems.

Like I said, it's true, you can't do it.

mrkgoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, wasn't sure. I just know most of them are the same, I never had a problem with dragging especially with the springloaded folders. *shrug*
Testament to the fact that you don't need it if there is an alternative is the fact you didn't even know it was missing.

Just differences, not better.

NJ Shlice

Okay i'm still having a problem with installing things.

So when I download something I get a .Dmg file. first step is to what? Drag .Dmg file into Applications folder. Then nothing happens. Then after a series of double clicking things I get an icon on the desktop with the application name that I want. Then I try to drag that into the Applications folder.

What is the icon that pops up on the desktop?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
NJ x Falkor said:

So when I download something I get a .Dmg file. first step is to what? Drag .Dmg file into Applications folder. Then nothing happens. Then after a series of double clicking things I get an icon on the desktop with the application name that I want. Then I try to drag that into the Applications folder.

DMGs are images that you mount. So when you download a DMG, double click it. It will pop up a mounted image, in which there will likely be the app itself, and usually a shortcut to the applications folder. Drag the app into Applications, wait for it to copy, and then eject the mounted image.

Done.

abq

1) Mount the .dmg (double click it)
2) A folder should appear on the desktop
3) Open the folder (if it doesn't open itself automatically)
4) Drag the icon in the folder to the app folder
5) Unmount the .dmg and trash it

NJ x Falkor said:

When you see the icon on the desktop that looks like a little drive (like the 1Password one in your picture above) - click on that.

That opens the DMG file and you will usually get something like this:

1-disk_image.jpg

Drag the application icon within the window onto the Applications folder in the same window - Done. The app will now show up in your Applications folder.

Occasionally you will see an install file in the DMG file or you will just see an icon for the program and no Applications folder shortcut. In that case, just open your applications folder in another window and drag the icon from the DMG window to the Applications folder.

thewesker said:

Just FYI, the 1280x800 resolution sucks.

thewesker said:

It's extremely easy. It's just a computer. You'll know how to get around. OSX and Windows 7 aren't that different as far as UI goes.

I actually got the same macbook after being 100% windows user and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't regret not getting a PC one bit.

mrkgoo

NJ x Falkor said:

I like to have people understand the system to learn it.

The .dmg file stands for 'disk image'. This is basically a virtual disk drive. That's what the icon is on the desktop. It's a delivery system. If you plug in a USB drive, you will see the same icon on the desk top (unless it has its own icon).

When you 'open' a dmg, it mounts and appears as a drive (in finder and on the desktop).

Inside the mounted drive, you will see the application. An Application is a self contained folder. Double-clicking this 'folder' executes what is inside. You can place this Application more or less anywhere. You can even run it from inside the virtual drive if you want. The recommended place is in the Applications folder.

Pulka

hay

Is there any way to remove the side-thing in iTunes?
Music, Movies and that.
289e9h2.jpg

And can files have no name at all?

mrkgoo

Pulka said:
hay

Is there any way to remove the side-thing in iTunes?
Music, Movies and that.
289e9h2.jpg

And can files have no name at all?

What odd requests.

I don't think you can turn the side bar off, but if you want to listen you can double click a playlist (it will open the lis in a new window without a sidebar), then close the main window.

Files need names or the OS will get confused. That said, you can probably edit the title of the song to have no name.

Why do you want these things?

Pulka

mrkgoo said:
What odd requests.

I don't think you can turn the side bar off, but if you want to listen you can double click a playlist (it will open the lis in a new window without a sidebar), then close the main window.

Files need names or the OS will get confused. That said, you can probably edit the title of the song to have no name.

Why do you want these things?
I think the iTunes window is too big.
I meant files on the desktop btw.

mrkgoo

Pulka said:
I think the iTunes window is too big.
I meant files on the desktop btw.

Too big just for being, or when you're playing? Because if you want your main window to have no side bar, I'm not sure you can do that. But like I said, for playing, you can.

Why do you want to have files with no name? Anyway, besides being and odd request, couldn't you just try it?

Pulka

mrkgoo said:
Too big just for being, or when you're playing? Because if you want your main window to have no side bar, I'm not sure you can do that. But like I said, for playing, you can.

Why do you want to have files with no name? Anyway, besides being and odd request, couldn't you just try it?
This is why I wanted files without names: (it worked with just having spaces in the names)
----------------------------------Bild%201.jpg

mrkgoo

Phobophile said:
WHY
WHY

Why would you want to have untagged files? Ugh.

He meant on the desktop. I guess he wants icons on the desktop with no label. To look nice.

I never use the desktop as a launcher area like I used to with Windows (you know, like a whole bunch of Desktop shortcuts). When I moved to Mac shortcuts became obsolete. The dock is my launcher, or spotlight. The desktop metaphor was utilised a bit more accurately by using it mostly as a work space or swap space for stuff I'm doing. Other than that it remains empty except for the HD icon.

If you want things to look pretty on your desktop, then you can give the file name a space or something.

My brother was always very weird with his organisation. For example, on his mobile he wanted names to appear in the list for easy access (completely oblivious to favourites pages or anything), so he would give people names beginning with numbers to bump them up the list. :/ He didn't like the titles of icons on the desktop, so he would drag them down to the bottom to 'hide' the file name.

mrkgoo

koam said:
Why don't you use Plex instead of your manual solution. Plex is the best app ever.

Check out this example:
http://www.vimeo.com/8986599

Looks neat.

Presumable because he does want that manual solution. What's up with the odd single pixels in the music and games icons? SO are those actually icons (aliases) carefully positioned on a back drop?

jbbb

I need some help with Quicksilver.

When I select a file or write something and want to e-mail that, the only option I get from QS is to send it through the Gmail notifier app, but I wanted to send it through the Mail app. I do have the Mail app plug-in
installed but QS just wont give me the option.
Also, how can I search something on youtube e.g. just using QS so it will open my browser with the search results.

Thank you.

Top Bottom