• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

thefit

I've got a question. I've been trying to empty my trash bin for a while now and it won't let me i get a message that an untitled dvd is locked. I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Why are more 'traditional' installer packages (from a Windows point of view) used for some applications? The simple Mount -> Drag and drop into the applications folder does not apply to all applications.

The 'bigger' applications such as ilife, office etc use an installer package. I'm just curious why. Are there limitations to the Mount -> Drag and drop method?

liquid_gears said:
Why are more 'traditional' installer packages (from a Windows point of view) used for some applications? The simple Mount -> Drag and drop into the applications folder does not apply to all applications.

The 'bigger' applications such as ilife, office etc use an installer package. I'm just curious why. Are there limitations to the Mount -> Drag and drop method?

I assume because it needs to add things such as fonts to the library folder. As OSX currently stands, an application is just copied to the applications folder at the moment. It would be cool if apple changed it so that if you copy an application to the apps folder it also does any other tasks required. I already know when you copy an app to the folder it also creates stuff in the "application support" folders and whatnot.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
liquid_gears said:

Because they need to put support files in places beyond the Application bundle.

mrkgoo

Mr. Wonderful said:
It's so little work space, and makes hiding the Dock pretty much a must.

Since we have wider screens, I always thought it made more sense to put the dock on the left. We have more horizontal space to spare than vertical space.

Note, I don't often view two windows side by side.

mrkgoo said:
Since we have wider screens, I always thought it made more sense to put the dock on the left. We have more horizontal space to spare than vertical space.

Note, I don't often view two windows side by side.
I agree and have tried doing the exact same thing.

guise

Are there any simple free apps which show which applications are using network (internet rather then local) bandwidth, and how they are using?

i Use iStat which only shows me the up/downstream - but sometimes it goes crazy with the upload and i cant tell which app is tearing up my bandwidth.

so i order a 13" macbook pro, ipod, and hp printer back at the beginning of september to take advantage of of the student promo they were offering (free ipod touch or $230 rebate on any ipod, and $100 off any printer)

i submitted for my rebate but never got the checks, from previous rebates i know its not unusual for it to take up to 90 days, well its been way past that so I just called apple. The checks were issued on the 19th and cashed on the 23rd, by someone else. So now i have to get a signed affadavit and mail it back to apple and then they may decide to reissue the check, if it wasnt for the rebates i would have never gone with the macbook but it was only a little more then what i was looking at ($700 hp and an ipod classic)

has anyone else ran into this issue of somebody pocketing your apple rebate check? if so what eventually happened?

mrkgoo

iTunes 9.0.3 released:

macrumors said:
Apple today released iTunes 9.0.3 via Software Update and the iTunes download site, offering several bug fixes.
iTunes 9.0.3 provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

- iTunes no longer ignores your "Remember password for purchases" setting.
- Addresses problems with syncing some Smart Playlists and Podcasts with iPod.
- Resolves a problem recognizing when iPod is connected.
- Addresses issues that affect stability and performance.

Versions are available for Mac OS X (10.4.11 or later) and Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) are available, with a separate version for 64-bit Windows Vista also available.

And there was rejoicing at the fix for smart playlists. Gotta check this out now.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Apparently it doesn't fix that smart playlist bug.

mrkgoo said:
iTunes 9.0.3 released:

And there was rejoicing at the fix for smart playlists. Gotta check this out now.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Apparently it doesn't fix that smart playlist bug.

Yeah my software update just popped up with it. Installing now.

Maximus.

GodfatherX said:
so i order a 13" macbook pro, ipod, and hp printer back at the beginning of september to take advantage of of the student promo they were offering (free ipod touch or $230 rebate on any ipod, and $100 off any printer)

i submitted for my rebate but never got the checks, from previous rebates i know its not unusual for it to take up to 90 days, well its been way past that so I just called apple. The checks were issued on the 19th and cashed on the 23rd, by someone else. So now i have to get a signed affadavit and mail it back to apple and then they may decide to reissue the check, if it wasnt for the rebates i would have never gone with the macbook but it was only a little more then what i was looking at ($700 hp and an ipod classic)

has anyone else ran into this issue of somebody pocketing your apple rebate check? if so what eventually happened?

whoa dude sorry to hear that. I also bought my macbook pro a year and a half ago, getting the touch and printer, but i got my checks 6 weeks after i mailed them in. Hope everything works out for you. For me the only problem was the price of the ipod touch was lowered the day i bought my macbook so i had to goto my universitys comp store and get a price adjustment.

hirokazu

GodfatherX said:

Don''t they write the cheques in your name? In other words, they must be deposited into an account with the same name and not cashed? I'm pretty sure the student rebate is like that in Australia. Kinda silly not to do that.

Jasoco

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
It's so little work space, and makes hiding the Dock pretty much a must.
I've been using 1280x800 for three years now, I even moved to 13" FROM a 20". When I had 20" I had a lot of space to play around. Sometimes too much. When I got my laptop (I was on a mini with an ACD display with 1680x1050 resolution before) it seemed like a downgrade, but I have no problem using a 13" display. There's plenty of room for everything. Sure, I wish they'd put a higher step resolution in the 13", like 1440x900 or the aforementioned 1680x1050, but I can live with 1280x800 if it means I get a nice small laptop. (15" is right on the threshold of almost too big for me to work with. 13" is nice and small.)

And my Dock is at the bottom of my screen and is 44 pixels high and tucked in my bottom-right corner.

Jasoco said:
I've been using 1280x800 for three years now, I even moved to 13" FROM a 20". When I had 20" I had a lot of space to play around. Sometimes too much. When I got my laptop (I was on a mini with an ACD display with 1680x1050 resolution before) it seemed like a downgrade, but I have no problem using a 13" display. There's plenty of room for everything. Sure, I wish they'd put a higher step resolution in the 13", like 1440x900 or the aforementioned 1680x1050, but I can live with 1280x800 if it means I get a nice small laptop. (15" is right on the threshold of almost too big for me to work with. 13" is nice and small.)

And my Dock is at the bottom of my screen and is 44 pixels high and tucked in my bottom-right corner.
There are many 13" laptops with resolution higher than 1280x800.

Jasoco

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
There are many 13" laptops with resolution higher than 1280x800.
Yeah I know. I was just saying the MB's res is fine for me, but I wouldn't mind a higher res at all. I mean, I faked it a few times by viewing a screenshot of a 1440x900 and 1680x1050 screenshot at fullscreen to see how small everything would be and it wasn't too bad on the 13" screen. The larger 1680 res was pretty small though. Which is why it's a shame Resolution Independence isn't working yet as the menubar is virtually half the size to your eyes. It might be hard on your eyes after a while. The 1440 one wasn't too bad though and I'd settle for just that small of a resolution bump.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
What's a good, affordable picture editing program? I had an old version of Paint Shop Pro 7 that I love, but apparently it's not compatible with OSX. :\

mrkgoo

Weapxn said:
What's a good, affordable picture editing program? I had an old version of Paint Shop Pro 7 that I love, but apparently it's not compatible with OSX. :\

Some good ones I've heard of are:
Pixelmator
Acorn

Google around and you might find some coupon codes that may still work.

I've used Graphic Converter, which isn't that great at picture editing, but has some nice tools - it's shareware, so only pay if you want batch editing, or want to get rid of the startup.

If you're into just photo editing (contrast etc), Photoshop Elements is highly rated, and don't forget the power of just plain old iPhoto.

mrkgoo

Is Macworld Expo worth attending for the exhibition part? I have a pass (expo only), and will have to travel down, just for a day or two. Is that too hardcore?

Can someone tell me what I need to hook my Macbook Pro up to my TV?

My Mac Pro has the DVI-I input; doesn't have HDMI.

My TV has HDMI and VGA input, I believe.

I have that DVI to VGA adapter that came with my Macbook but I'm so confused because the DVI adapter has less pins then the input on my macbook does. I try to push it in but it doesn't go in smoothly and I don't want to force it.

Here is a picture to explain:

2lnahwo.gif

The adapter seems to be DVI-I (single link) and the input on my Mac Pro is DVI-I (dual link). I must be doing something wrong or not pushing it in hard enough because why would apple include the wrong adapter in the box with my laptop, right?

Please help, someone. I'm bad with this shit.

mrkgoo

criesofthepast said:
Can someone tell me what I need to hook my Macbook Pro up to my TV?

My Mac Pro has the DVI-I input; doesn't have HDMI.

My TV has HDMI and VGA input, I believe.

I have that DVI to VGA adapter that came with my Macbook but I'm so confused because the DVI adapter has less pins then the input on my macbook does. I try to push it in but it doesn't go in smoothly and I don't want to force it.

Here is a picture to explain:

2lnahwo.gif

The adapter seems to be DVI-I (single link) and the input on my Mac Pro is DVI-I (dual link). I must be doing something wrong or not pushing it in hard enough because why would apple include the wrong adapter in the box with my laptop, right?

Please help, someone. I'm bad with this shit.
Probably means your mac cab use dual link, buy the adaptor only needs single link since it's only conVerting to VGA and doesn't need all the pins. Make sure it's the right way up. The logo should be facing up.

Primetime21

Neo Member
criesofthepast said:
That's it? No adapters or anything, just the cable? That will do audio too, right?

No it will not do audio as DVI does not carry audio. 3.5mm to mini-Toslink or 3.5mm to RGA(the yellow/red cables).

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Jasoco said:

How do you have it tucked in the bottom right?

Jasoco

Banned
One of many utilities will do this for you. I recommend Secrets which lets you toggle many other hidden OS X settings that Apple doesn't provide frontends for.

I've had it in the bottom right corner for almost ever.

Is there any program or anything for windows 7 that lets you map multi touch gestures? I feel lost without being able to do gestures to do basic things.

Foob

ok so i closed photobooth while it was in the middle of recording a video and now the goddamn video is corrupted.I can't open it in quicktime or anything..

I downloaded this app called Treasured that can determine whether or not it's repairable, and I can see a ton of clips/stills of the video, so I know it's not completely lost..Is there an app or some sort of process I can undergo to fix this video?

hirokazu said:
Don''t they write the cheques in your name? In other words, they must be deposited into an account with the same name and not cashed? I'm pretty sure the student rebate is like that in Australia. Kinda silly not to do that.

yes, they emailed a photo copy of the checks to me today, they are signed (not my signature) and were cashed at a Kroger for cash, now a signed affidavit is on its way to apple.

Hey wassup guys. I've recently mirrored by Macbook to my LG display via Display port. However while I can see the dock jut fine the top screen menu is cut off.

Now I assume this is due to the different aspect ratios (16:10 vs 16:9), but I was wondering if there's a way to adjust the LCD so it appears at 16:9 and not in 16:10 when outputting video?

This may be a dumb question, but if I want to install Windows 7 on my macbook, can I buy the upgrade version or do I have to buy the full version?

SnakeXs

H_Prestige said:
This may be a dumb question, but if I want to install Windows 7 on my macbook, can I buy the upgrade version or do I have to buy the full version?

I'll answer your question with a question: What version of Windows are you upgrading?

SnakeXs said:
I'll answer your question with a question: What version of Windows are you upgrading?

Yeah, I know. It's just that one of the guides online said you shouldn't pay extra for the full version, which sounded completely wrong to me. That's why I asked.

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
Just a random question. How many people here click the track pad instead of tapping it?

I have an older non-unibody, and I click. I turn the tapping off, be cause I get spurious touches.

SnakeXs

I'm a tapper. I usually only click (non unibody, so actual button) when I need to drag something.

mrkgoo

Alucrid said:
Just a random question. How many people here click the track pad instead of tapping it?

Another questions to go with that is if people use their thumb in addition to pointing when clicking, or if they just use their pointing finger.

Can you use your thumb to tap-to-click?

SnakeXs

mrkgoo said:
Another questions to go with that is if people use their thumb in addition to pointing when clicking, or if they just use their pointing finger.

Can you use your thumb to tap-to-click?

Come to think of it I do sometimes thumb-click.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OneEightZero said:
I had it on... until I saw this post and realized I never use it. It's off now.
RjDqR.gif

I've watched this gif a billion times and it really bothers me how the guy's attack had no chance of hitting her, not to mention how weak-ass it really is. Really, a backhanded downward slash to the head?

His strike is coming down just over her left foot, but her center mass was already leaning to the right, therefore that strike would never have come down on her head regardless, making it look like obvious choreography.

...I normally don't waste of the time analyzing these things, but your avatar gets my attention and I can't help but watch it.

Edit: OMG I JUST REALIZED THAT THAT WAS HER OTHER FOOT!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

SnakeXs

It's a lightsaber. You don't need to swing hard to cut through someone, you know.

But yes visually it's annoying.

xelv

So I just wanted to let everyone know that Firefox 3.6 is super fast on my C2D 2.53 Ghz Macbook Pro. Pages load as fast as in Safari, javascript intensive pages(like the google services) seem to load even faster. Because I quit using Firefox a while ago and went to Safari for speed reasons, using Safari doesn't seem to have a huge advantage to me now. So guys, if you like Firefox, try it now and see if its speed convinces you. Speed + Firefox remembers page-specific zooms + addons + works on more pages than webkit browsers do makes it a winner for me right now. :)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
RubxQub said:
RjDqR.gif

I've watched this gif a billion times and it really bothers me how the guy's attack had no chance of hitting her, not to mention how weak-ass it really is. Really, a backhanded downward slash to the head?

His strike is coming down just over her left foot, but her center mass was already leaning to the right, therefore that strike would never have come down on her head regardless, making it look like obvious choreography.

...I normally don't waste of the time analyzing these things, but your avatar gets my attention and I can't help but watch it.

Edit: OMG I JUST REALIZED THAT THAT WAS HER OTHER FOOT!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

:lol

Here. Let me help you catch what's going on.

Jace Hall v. Felicia Day - Lightsaber Duel

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
SnakeXs said:
It's a lightsaber. You don't need to swing hard to cut through someone, you know.
True, but still...

A backhanded weak-ass slash downwards into the head just seems like such a weak attempt. How do you recover from such a weak maneuver?!

Her positioning is flashy, but what's her next move? What was his next move?

I'm sure watching the whole video would be awesome but I hate that little snippet, even if I did just realize that she shuffle steps out of the way and not leans.

Top Bottom