• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
SnakeXs said:
I'm sure it's been said but I just now launched AppZapper for the first time in forever and was prompted for the greatest App update ever.

Holy shit is this thing amazing, on all fronts.

What is so amazing about it now? what changed?

EDIT

just updated.

whoa. nice.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
quadriplegicjon said:
What is so amazing about it now? what changed?

Everything. It has the same "drop and zap" setup as before, but then it has a toggle that shows you all your apps (with tabs for other things, like plugins and prefpanes), and then it has filters to show apps you haven't used in the past x amount of time, and then you can sort them all by size or name or last used.

Now that's an amazing huge usability upgrade, but it's the polish and animations of it that blew me away. Apps reorganize themselves when you change the filters and sorting, the sliders fade in and out beautifully. It's also 64 bit, obviously, and Snow Leopard exclusive, per the upgrade changelog message.

It's seriously gorgeous, and I feel like a dork for raving about it, but it's honestly deserved.

Ugh jesus. Is there something wrong with my Macbook. The damn thing spikes up to 164 degrees F just having firefox open with 2 tabs and mail. It's probably flash but it seems ridiculous that flash and 2 tabs can make my fans go to 6000 rpm.

But thats not the worst of it.

With 3 tabs open in firefox, Matlab running, skype, word, and mail, my stupid CPU is reporting that it is operating at 194 degrees F. What the hell. How is this "normal" operation?

SnakeXs said:
Everything. It has the same "drop and zap" setup as before, but then it has a toggle that shows you all your apps (with tabs for other things, like plugins and prefpanes), and then it has filters to show apps you haven't used in the past x amount of time, and then you can sort them all by size or name or last used.

Now that's an amazing huge usability upgrade, but it's the polish and animations of it that blew me away. Apps reorganize themselves when you change the filters and sorting, the sliders fade in and out beautifully. It's also 64 bit, obviously, and Snow Leopard exclusive, per the upgrade changelog message.

It's seriously gorgeous, and I feel like a dork for raving about it, but it's honestly deserved.

Would you recommend it over CleanApp?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The_Inquisitor said:
Ugh jesus. Is there something wrong with my Macbook. The damn thing spikes up to 164 degrees F just having firefox open with 2 tabs and mail. It's probably flash but it seems ridiculous that flash and 2 tabs can make my fans go to 6000 rpm.

But thats not the worst of it.

With 3 tabs open in firefox, Matlab running, skype, word, and mail, my stupid CPU is reporting that it is operating at 194 degrees F. What the hell. How is this "normal" operation?

Check Activity Monitor and see what's churning on your CPU?

SnakeXs said:
Check Activity Monitor and see what's churning on your CPU?

Forgot that I was secure deleting something in my trash. It cooled back off to 144 F. But seriously is flash that bad that it causes macs to ramp the fans back up to 6000 RPM.

btkadams

SnakeXs said:

thanks for the recommendation. i went ahead and bought it. i don't want to ever miss random files associated with a program when i try to get rid of it. this thing looks great!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The_Inquisitor said:
...such bullshit. I am even freaking running the Flash 10.1 beta. I switched to using preview to read pdf's the other day, and I was amazed how much quieter my mac was.
Flash is awful software. This should tell you why everybody wants to get rid of it. It sucks.

Mobius 1

Installed Aperture3 trial today and my computer (imac 27 i7) was lagging a lot.. even after it finished importing the photos.

Anyone having similar issues?

golem

Hi guys,

I have a 23" Cinema display right now and want to add another one to the mix.. should I go find another 23" or is it worth it to upgrade to the new 24"s?

Saya

How do you make a compilation album in iTunes? I want to make my own album from songs in my iTunes library.

This is what I do so far:

1. Make a new playlist
2. Drag songs in the playlist
3. Select all songs
4. Get Info -> Edit album name (this is where it goes wrong, because once I edit the album names, the original songs are edited as well)

I want the original songs to keep their info and settings, but I also want the songs to exist in another album.

Can anyone help me out?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Saya said:
How do you make a compilation album in iTunes? I want to make my own album from songs in my iTunes library.

This is what I do so far:

1. Make a new playlist
2. Drag songs in the playlist
3. Select all songs
4. Get Info -> Edit album name (this is where it goes wrong, because once I edit the album names, the original songs are edited as well)

I want the original songs to keep their info and settings, but I also want the songs to exist in another album.

Can anyone help me out?

Select the songs you want to make for the compilation, right click and select Get Info.

On the last tab Options, switch Part of a compilation to Yes.

Saya

OneEightZero said:
Select the songs you want to make for the compilation, right click and select Get Info.

On the last tab Options, switch Part of a compilation to Yes.

I tried it but it's not working. I switched part of a compilation to yes and then I dragged the songs in the new playlist. Tried to edit the album name again but then it also edited the album settings of the original song. :(

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I may be wrong. But if you want to edit the album name of the songs, and still keep the original where they are, you will have to make extra copies. What is wrong with keeping them in the playlist and just selecting that playlist whenever you want to hear it?

Saya

Yep, you're right. It seems the only way is to make duplicates of the song.

I just wanted to compile an album so I can use coverart too, cant do that with playlists I think.

btkadams

thinking of how to conserve battery life with my macbook pro. would it be less of a drain on the battery to use my bb's wifi connection and tether it to the mbp rather than use the mbp's wifi?

mrkgoo

I'm thinking of purchasing a Freeagent USB 2.0 Free agent go (640GB) Ruby Red, using SuperDuper! to make a clone, then ripping the HD out and putting it in my early 08 (non-Unibody) MBP.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? I don't think my Time Machine will work after that, so I may need to restart my backups from scratch. I believe it uses the UUID of the hard drive as an identifier. Any other common things that won't work due to a hard drive upgrade? Will I need to reauthorize iTunes with a new machine, resync iPhones, etc?

Any software that identifies by HD UUID?

btkadams

mrkgoo said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a Freeagent USB 2.0 Free agent go (640GB) Ruby Red, using SuperDuper! to make a clone, then ripping the HD out and putting it in my early 08 (non-Unibody) MBP.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? I don't think my Time Machine will work after that, so I may need to restart my backups from scratch. I believe it uses the UUID of the hard drive as an identifier. Any other common things that won't work due to a hard drive upgrade? Will I need to reauthorize iTunes with a new machine, resync iPhones, etc?

Any software that identifies by HD UUID?
if you are using carboncopycloner (i havent used superduper so i don't know about it), you don't need to reauthorize itunes or iphones. it is an exact clone of the drive. not sure about time machine though!

mrkgoo

btkadams said:
if you are using carboncopycloner (i havent used superduper so i don't know about it), you don't need to reauthorize itunes or iphones. it is an exact clone of the drive. not sure about time machine though!
One less thing to worry about, thanks.

Another question: is it generally a good idea to takethe hard drive out and put it in a new mac? For example, I do this upgrade, then buy a new mac and just swapthe hard drives over. How much of the OS or other files on the HD are system specific?

NJ Shlice

Question.

I'm making a site with iWeb. It's a simple site, will have a blog, photos, a main page, etc. Nothing crazy.

Who do you recommend I host it through? I already have a domain name through godaddy. So i guess i just need a host? But MobileMe seems expensive at $100/year. How much space am I going to need, like what kind of plan should I go for?

This will be my first site so I don't know much...

NJ x Falkor said:
Question.

I'm making a site with iWeb. It's a simple site, will have a blog, photos, a main page, etc. Nothing crazy.

Who do you recommend I host it through? I already have a domain name through godaddy. So i guess i just need a host? But MobileMe seems expensive at $100/year. How much space am I going to need, like what kind of plan should I go for?

This will be my first site so I don't know much...
https://www.lithiumhosting.com/hosting.html should do you just fine. I've heard good things about their service. Dirt cheap too.

mrkgoo

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes, if you're using Time Machine. It doesn't clone Mac OS. When installing from the OS disc, it'll ask if you want to use it to restore a Time Machine snapshot or something like that. So you install the OS and then it copies over your Time Machine information.

It's just as good as a clone, but it's not as easy as just swapping drives.

Yes, quoting an old post, but relevant to my current situation. I was going to do the scenario I posted about (buy 640GB enclosed Seagate HD, use SuperDuper to clone, rip it out and swap drives). Reading up more on TIme Machine, I understand there IS a system restore, which is, as you say, close to clone, although I understand you do have to reauthorise iTunes, and IMAP mail needs to rebuild its database among a few other things that aren't in the TM backup.

So what's the verdict, aside from 'ease', is the better way to put a new hard drive in? I want it to be exact as possible, so kind of want to go the cloning route, but at the same time, a 'sanctioned' method via Time Machine might be preferable (I stick to first party stuff as much as possible, and have found it mitigates many issues).

mrkgoo

SO I carried out my plan to swap hard drives, and it works, but my computer feels kinda sluggish. Not sure if it's the bigger hard drive, or that fact that spotlight is reindexing.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
anyone with thoughts on Aperture 3 over the Lightroom 3 beta? i'm mildly curious by the new face recognition ported from iphoto, but i'm in love with how LR3 handles chroma noise.

criesofthepast said:
For those of you who use Bowtie - it is getting an update on the 13th. Finally out of beta and releasing 1.0. Looks like it's been totally revamped. Search was taken out, which kind of sucks. Last.fm seems to be fixed, though. Hopefully this fixes a lot of the bugs.

http://13bold.com/articles/bowtie-releases/

fucking FINALLY. Bowtie is awesome but it's been so buggy for the past half year that I've just gone back to Coversutra.

mrkgoo

My computer took about 7 hours to index.

It feels a bit sluggish with the new drive. A little less responsive. Xbench tells me that I have a huge increase in sequential read/write but also a decrease in random read/write. I guess it is normal. But having 640gb on my laptop feels pretty good. I'm ready for aperture. Hopefully my computer picks up some responsiveness as I get better cached.

So what programs do you guys recommend making GIFs with. I need something I can import a video file, different formats, select the range, edit it, and make it into a GIF. I already have the CS4 Design Suite, but since they integrated ImageReady into Photoshop, I feel lost.

Jasoco

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
fucking FINALLY. Bowtie is awesome but it's been so buggy for the past half year that I've just gone back to Coversutra.
ABOUT TIME! I was literally about to get rid of it and go back to something else.

My biggest gripe is it forgetting iTunes is running occasionally, even though it is, forcing me to quit BowTie and relaunch it.

Though my question is why do we need an iPhone BowTie? It's a remote to control BowTie which controls iTunes. Why the fuck not just use Apple's own iTunes Remote? It's free! And doesn't need a middle-man.

mrkgoo

mrkgoo said:
My computer took about 7 hours to index.

It feels a bit sluggish with the new drive. A little less responsive. Xbench tells me that I have a huge increase in sequential read/write but also a decrease in random read/write. I guess it is normal. But having 640gb on my laptop feels pretty good. I'm ready for aperture. Hopefully my computer picks up some responsiveness as I get better cached.

Hmm seems to have improved a little. I think this hard drive is quieter too.

Interestingly, Time Machine still wants to carry on my backup (even though my UUID has changed), but it wants to do a complete 250GB backup.

Jasoco said:
ABOUT TIME! I was literally about to get rid of it and go back to something else.

My biggest gripe is it forgetting iTunes is running occasionally, even though it is, forcing me to quit BowTie and relaunch it.

Though my question is why do we need an iPhone BowTie? It's a remote to control BowTie which controls iTunes. Why the fuck not just use Apple's own iTunes Remote? It's free! And doesn't need a middle-man.

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. It's an app that allows us to control our iPhones/iPod Touches from BowTie in OSX. I guess for those who have 'em plugged to a speaker system or to a speaker dock. Don't take my word for it though.

Ashhong

The_Inquisitor said:
...such bullshit. I am even freaking running the Flash 10.1 beta. I switched to using preview to read pdf's the other day, and I was amazed how much quieter my mac was.

wait, you switched to preview from what to make it quieter? adobe reader?

mrkgoo said:
Hmm seems to have improved a little. I think this hard drive is quieter too.

Interestingly, Time Machine still wants to carry on my backup (even though my UUID has changed), but it wants to do a complete 250GB backup.

what harddrive did you get and what did u upgrade from? my friend and i just upgraded the 160gb hitachi from our unibody and neither are as quiet. he got the 500gb WD blue and i got the 320gb black.

i get why my black would be loud, but thought the blue would be quiet. im not complaining though because the Hitachi was a piece of shit. my computer would beach ball all the time, and i didnt want to pay up for the ram. black is so fast, but the thing sounds like the case fans at 3-4000 rpm and does vibrate. oh well

Any idea what my asking price should be for my Macbook Pro Early/Mid 2008 model? Not the unibody.

15"
2.4 ghz
4gb ram
200gb drive
snow leopard

I use it mainly as a desktop and want to get an iMac instead. Having trouble trying to price it.

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
wait, you switched to preview from what to make it quieter? adobe reader?

what harddrive did you get and what did u upgrade from? my friend and i just upgraded the 160gb hitachi from our unibody and neither are as quiet. he got the 500gb WD blue and i got the 320gb black.

i get why my black would be loud, but thought the blue would be quiet. im not complaining though because the Hitachi was a piece of shit. my computer would beach ball all the time, and i didnt want to pay up for the ram. black is so fast, but the thing sounds like the case fans at 3-4000 rpm and does vibrate. oh well

640gb freeagent go. I ripped the sucker out of its case.

I had a bit of a scare this morning. I turned on my Mac, got the chime and white screen and no apple logo. After a few seconds I got an error about "Can't find startup disk, press any key to continue." Pressing keys did nothing and I found via my phone that the solution is to hold down the option key on boot and select your hard drive. It worked and then I just had to select it in System Preferences and it won't happen again.

My question is: What triggered it? I don't remember playing with my Startup Disk settings so I'm confused.

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:
durrrrrrrrr. i meant the model number.
ST9640322AS

My drive makes a little 'plink' noise every few moments when not being used - I understand that's normal, and is the drive head parking or something?

Ashhong

SnakeXs said:
I'm sure it's been said but I just now launched AppZapper for the first time in forever and was prompted for the greatest App update ever.

Holy shit is this thing amazing, on all fronts.

i just updated, and its nice but its missing a huge feature that AppCleaner has, imo.

With AppCleaner, you dont even have to turn on the program. you simply drag the program to the trash bin and it automatically does the search and shows which files are associated and that it will delete. is there an option like this for AppZapper?

mrkgoo said:
ST9640322AS

My drive makes a little 'plink' noise every few moments when not being used - I understand that's normal, and is the drive head parking or something?

i have the same sound as well. i thought that "head parking" was when its being moved around? mine makes the sound when its just sitting there. thinking of telling dell to give me a new one

im surprised ur drive is so quiet...but according to a quick google it seems to be a very "green" drive with low power consumption. nice

thewesker said:
I had a bit of a scare this morning. I turned on my Mac, got the chime and white screen and no apple logo. After a few seconds I got an error about "Can't find startup disk, press any key to continue." Pressing keys did nothing and I found via my phone that the solution is to hold down the option key on boot and select your hard drive. It worked and then I just had to select it in System Preferences and it won't happen again.

My question is: What triggered it? I don't remember playing with my Startup Disk settings so I'm confused.
So no one else has had this issue before? Weird.

Top Bottom