• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hmmm... here is a MBP question for you guys: I bought the VGA to Mini DisplayPort adapter and connected it with an LCD monitor I have for dual-screening. This works well and all, except, whenever my LCD monitor goes to sleep/turned off, I have to re-plug the adapter to the MBP, and go into display properties to re-extend my desktop to this second screen. This is kind of an annoyance as I have to do this everyday after I wake my MBP on. Is there maybe something you guys can help me with here ?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Hitokage said:
*facepalm*

Universal means it has the program compiled to be natively run on both PPC and Intel platforms. The only downside is that it takes more space to do both, but otherwise it'll work perfectly in either.

Ah, my mistake then. I don't generally encounter them, myself, on the pages I download things from. It's usually just Intel only.

Jasoco

Banned
Seriously, the only drawback to Universal is extra wasted HD space. But as was mentioned a while back, you can reclaim that space with utilities like Monolingual which will remove the PPC binary (Or Intel one if you are on a PPC), unfortunately SOME apps don't like it, so keep a backup to restore certain ones and test the important ones right away.

Photoshop CS3 itself literally cut itself in half and still runs fine. iTunes lost 80% of its weight. But a small amount of apps on my system choked when I tried to run them. So I restored their full versions later.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Alfarif said:
Ah, my mistake then. I don't generally encounter them, myself, on the pages I download things from. It's usually just Intel only.
What can you find that's intel only outside ZSNES, Texmaster, and certain VLC packages? Nearly everything is distributed in universal.

giga

Raytow said:
I have no idea what would the correct term, but activity monitor reports the app as powerpc instead of intel.
Get the latest version then because it's Universal.

aparisi2274

Here is another "noob" question.

The widgets that come up on screen (calculator, calendar, weather, clock), how do I add or remove things to it?? I read a thing on google, on how to do it, but I can't seem to find the setup menu where I can add to or remove these widgets.

Another random fact, you can move (or remove) the icons on the menu bar by holding CMD and drag the icon. Doesn't work for 3rd party apps though.

Ashhong

The Main Event said:
Another random fact, you can move (or remove) the icons on the menu bar by holding CMD and drag the icon. Doesn't work for 3rd party apps though.

not true, just doesnt work for certain apps. some 3rd party ones do move.

my power adapter for my new mbp just broke on me tonight. i calibrated my battery last night and was doing the full recharge when it happened. also was booting Windows 7 via parallels for the first time. noticed my LED was off and the power brick was HOT, l could barely touch it. u think any of it is related?

Jasoco

Banned
It works for apps that use "System Events" hooks for display. Which unfortunately not many third party apps use. Because System Events allows you to move them around and they remember their locations. Whereas all apps that are loaded up there later are arranged in the order they're loaded unless they use special hooks to place them on the far left or right. (Like PTHPasteBoard and MenuClockiCal)

I don't understand why all apps don't just use System Events. You used to require a hack to enable it, but I don't think that hack is required these days. I'd love to be able to move DragThing and DropBox around wherever I want. (PTHPasteBoard too if need be, but I prefer to have it far left end and it does this for me anyway. But DT and DB like to move wherever they happen to load depending on which one loads faster)

System Events basically places a box in the menubar that's like a Dock but for small icon menubar apps. It's the same concept. Drag and drop to move around and remove. The System Events "app" loads first which gives it first place in the menubar next to the Spotlight icon. But apps can move their icons wherever they want if need be or requested.

Tieno

Managed to get my external monitor display at the native resolution. Had to do it via switchresx.

Also, I use gmail and made an automater script that goes to gmail, saved it as an application, changed its icon to a gmail one and put that one in my desktop. I like using gmail from the browser and fast access to it is handy when you use it a lot.

Tieno said:
Managed to get my external monitor display at the native resolution. Had to do it via switchresx.

Also, I use gmail and made an automater script that goes to gmail, saved it as an application, changed its icon to a gmail one and put that one in my desktop. I like using gmail from the browser and fast access to it is handy when you use it a lot.
It might be better to get Fluid (http://fluidapp.com/) and make a Gmail application from it. It can then put a notification number on the Gmail dock icon for new mail.

Sean

Banned
That reminds me, there used to be a feature in Safari 4 developer previews where you could save pages as a web application (sorta like Fluid):

slwebapps.jpg

I wonder why they removed that from the public beta & final build (unless it's being held for Snow Leopard).

First, really happy with my recent iMac 3.06 Radeon 3850 purchase. I hope it lasts 4+ years.

Noob question: 1080p video playback sometimes delays compared to audio. Using Mplayer OSX Extended. Even when scaling down from full-screen. HDD reaches 58 degrees C.

Is this expected from a near top-line iMac? (still at 4GB RAM). If I shouldn't be playing 1080p, that's fine, but I just want to make sure it's not something I could do to fix it. Appreciate any advice.

giga

hockeypuck said:
First, really happy with my recent iMac 3.06 Radeon 3850 purchase. I hope it lasts 4+ years.

Noob question: 1080p video playback sometimes delays compared to audio. Using Mplayer OSX Extended. Even when scaling down from full-screen. HDD reaches 58 degrees C.

Is this expected from a near top-line iMac? (still at 4GB RAM). If I shouldn't be playing 1080p, that's fine, but I just want to make sure it's not something I could do to fix it. Appreciate any advice.
That shouldn't happen, what type of video? (container, codecs) My friend has a 2.8 iMac which does 1080p flawlessly in Quicktime. (give it time to index it)

aparisi2274

So I got a message today in my 1up inbox from a gaf lurker who can't post in threads because he never activated his account. Anyway, he asked me how he can change his mac OSX theme to look like one of the following...

picture_1227.png

Picture1-33.png

2r7aav8.png

2gsn512.jpg

giga

hockeypuck said:
DTS x264, mkv container.
I don't use mplayer extended, so I can't help you there. But download Perian and load it in Quicktime. Give it a bit to index (you'll see the seeker move) and then try.

giga said:
I don't use mplayer extended, so I can't help you there. But download Perian and load it in Quicktime. Give it a bit to index (you'll see the seeker move) and then try.
That did the trick. Thanks.

LCfiner

aparisi2274 said:
So I got a message today in my 1up inbox from a gaf lurker who can't post in threads because he never activated his account. Anyway, he asked me how he can change his mac OSX theme to look like one of the following...

http://xs538.xs.to/xs538/09143/picture_1227.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb44/SufjanSays/Picture1-33.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2r7aav8.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2gsn512.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

easiest way that i can think of is to use [U][URL="http://www.panic.com/candybar/"]candybar[/URL][/U] (25 bucks) to apply system wide icon changes and the custom dock. it's also used to keep all the icon libraries organized.

i don't know of any free tools to perform the icon changes in the easy, batchjob manner that candybar does it, but there might be some freeware apps for the docks.

go to iconfactory, deviant art and google search to find the icon container files that group together the icons and dock resources and then double click them to add them to candybar.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Ok, I upgraded my MBP to a 7200rpm drive. It gets hot as hell now. I have Fan Control running but it's still extremely hot.

When I'm in Windows (via Boot Camp), the drive never seems to get nearly as hot. Is there anything else I can do to lower the heat?

pj

Banned
LCfiner said:
easiest way that i can think of is to use candybar (25 bucks) to apply system wide icon changes and the custom dock. it's also used to keep all the icon libraries organized.

i don't know of any free tools to perform the icon changes in the easy, batchjob manner that candybar does it, but there might be some freeware apps for the docks.

go to iconfactory, deviant art and google search to find the icon container files that group together the icons and dock resources and then double click them to add them to candybar.

You can use some of candybar without paying for it. I used it to change all the icons because the default ones are lame as hell

Maverick

oh noooos!

I'm having issues with my 1 year old Macbook.

When I tried to record a podcast yesterday, the track kept stopping and giving me error messages. I'd get two varieties of messages.

One said "write speed too slow" and the other said something like "too many vocal tracks to play back in real time yada yada"

I didn't have any other programs running.

Do I need to upload my RAM? Or is this a problem with my HD being too full?

Me so confused.

pj325is said:
You can use some of candybar without paying for it. I used it to change all the icons because the default ones are lame as hell

It seems like the "15-day trial" for Candybar is really a 15-use trial, because I've had the trial version for six months now, and the countdown only ever changes when I actually open the program. I've got three "days" left as we speak.

skrew

Banned
So I am getting a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. I'm going to try out both boxee and plex and see which one I like better. Mainly looking to stream Netflix, hulu and local content. Also planning on attaching a external hard drive to my router for NAS. Are there any must have software I should have mainly for playing media and maybe occasional browsing?

Flo_Evans

How to set permissions on a PC drive?

Is there anyway to modify the permissions set by my old PC on a portable drive (short of formatting it)?

What do you use to convert videos? I have VisualHub (which is no longer available). I download some anime that’s in .mkv format with subtitles, and VisualHub won’t convert it.

I use a free Quicktime plugin called Perian. Which does convert it, but it takes so long. I usually just leave it overnight. So I’m not sure exactly how long it takes. In my search I found RoadMovie, but it’s $25. Has anyone tried this out?

giga

You can use fat32 for that, but it doesn't support files over 4GB.

If you absolutely need 4gb files in this partition, then use NTFS. To gets OS X to write to it, you need NTFS-3G (free, but slow) or Paragon NTFS (not free, but not slow).

Flo_Evans

giga said:
You can use fat32 for that, but it doesn't support files over 4GB.

If you absolutely need 4gb files in this partition, then use NTFS. To gets OS X to write to it, you need NTFS-3G (free, but slow) or Paragon NTFS (not free, but not slow).

Bleh! I have several video files over 4gb. Mostly what I use the thing for is taking large video files from home to work!

I guess I can try that paragon, IDK maybe I will just leave the work at work. I was going to try Final Cut anyway :p

Tieno

Man, I'm really loving my macbook and osx.

It has some very neat features and programs.
-I love expose in combination with trackpad gestures
-Geektool and coversatura
-Gimmesometune: automatically searches for lyrics and cover art and saves it to the mp3, lyrics then get shown on desktop via geektool.
-Quicksilver for productivity and app launching, sometimes use spotligt
-Spaces to keep desktop clean and minimize minimizing. I like stacks
-Safari: very fast browsing, dictionary+wikipedia stuff, top sites + searching history with photo previews is very useful and cool.

In general OS X has a lot of neat features to keep everything clean, have a cool presentation, but still navigate fast and easy.

LCfiner

yup, it's all the little things that add up and make OS X so easy to use (most of the time)

plus the overall quality and polish on most 3rd party apps is incredible.

Tieno

Oh yeah, is there a shortcut or way to cleanly present/occupy all the active windows in a given space. Lets say you have 3 windows and you press a key so all those windows are moved and resized to maximize screen real estate but not 'obstruct' each other. Similar to a swipe down expose but then permanent.

Flo_Evans

Is there anyway to get folders to always list 1st in finder?

I have to manage several large websites and its annoying as fuck to have all the subfolders mixed in with the files.

I also found the "path bar" nice, but I wish I could put it at the top, and I wish you could click on it to navigate with it (I know you can right click, but thats annoying).

Also I saw someone mention disabling the function keys, is there a quick toggle or a way to have them active/inactive in certain apps? I need my F8 (convert object to symbol) in flash dammit! ah, nevermind when you turn it off you can still access the secondary functions with the fn key! excellent!! :D

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Maverick said:
oh noooos!

I'm having issues with my 1 year old Macbook.

When I tried to record a podcast yesterday, the track kept stopping and giving me error messages. I'd get two varieties of messages.

One said "write speed too slow" and the other said something like "too many vocal tracks to play back in real time yada yada"

I didn't have any other programs running.

Do I need to upload my RAM? Or is this a problem with my HD being too full?

Me so confused.

Awhile back, when my wife and I were recording a video podcast, we had htis program in Garageband, as well.

It seemed to keep recording, even when the error popped up on the screen, but we just re-recorded anyway. I did only have about 6 or 8 GB of free space left at the time, which has since increased to 20 GB now that I've offloaded some video stuff to an external drive.

I have 4 GB of RAM, and my Mac is an early '08 model, as well.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your HDD, you might want to offload some of that stuff someplace else.

Is there any way to improve Flash performance in OSX? I notice that Flash tends to bog my system down, moreso than Windows. And I'm running a Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz with 4 gigs of ram.

Top Bottom