• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Phoenix said:
That's what they want. Snow Leopard is a gateway to some of the l33t stuff they've been talking about for a few WWDCs now.

I am excited about the release of Snow Leopard. I just got my mac a few months ago and was hesitant because Snow Leopard was coming, but at that price I am biting day one easily.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Does anyone know a good network monitoring app? I'm getting some weird patterns, and I'd like to find out what app is causing it.

Guled

is there a good site out there for new mac/osx users? You know a site that has tips/programs/stuff to try and use for noobs like me

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Since we're on the topic of that book is there any big difference of the missing manual vs. the missing manual switching from windows? Would you recommend one over the other?
I have the Missing Manual for Tiger and it has a section for those switching from Windows, but I haven't read the other versions.

Hitokage said:
I have the Missing Manual for Tiger and it has a section for those switching from Windows, but I haven't read the other versions.

How is the manual written? If there was something I wanted to do on mac that I did on windows I would just have to know what it's called and I could find it in the regular missing manual I would assume right? Like I asked before what to use to unarchive since I used winrar on windows or ?

giga

mrkgoo said:
I don't know too much about it, but:

From this, it sounds like the check mark essentially makes the saturation bar close too a vibrancy slider, but like I said I don't know much about 'vibrancy'. But like you said, for humans.

It has a check mark for transferring the RAW entirely, and one for making edits as a 16-bit tiff. I assume if you don't have the former checked, but the second one, it might export as a 16-bit Tiff.

aw9hl1.png
Well that's good to know. Would be a shame if it was limited to 8-bit jpegs.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know of a fix that actually works for the dreaded "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet" network status issue?

So annoying.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
404Ender said:
Does anyone know of a fix that actually works for the dreaded "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet" network status issue?

So annoying.
For the computer or for the Airport Extreme/Express? That message means it wasn't able to perform a DHCP lookup.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Hitokage said:
For the computer or for the Airport Extreme/Express? That message means it wasn't able to perform a DHCP lookup.

The computer. Apparently it's a fairly common problem. Lots of complaints all over the internet, including a bunch of huge threads in Apple's support forums. No official comment from them as far as I know though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
404Ender said:
The computer. Apparently it's a fairly common problem. Lots of complaints all over the internet, including a bunch of huge threads in Apple's support forums. No official comment from them as far as I know though.
Can't say I've ever had that happen to me.

Ashhong

quickly before i go search the apple forums, anybody know if the SATA issue was resolved? im looking into buying an SSD drive but not if im going to be limited by apple. i know they sent out a firmware update but not sure it did the job completely

404Ender said:

So annoying.
I've only seen this when there actually was a problem with the network.
Ashhong said:
quickly before i go search the apple forums, anybody know if the SATA issue was resolved? im looking into buying an SSD drive but not if im going to be limited by apple. i know they sent out a firmware update but not sure it did the job completely
It bumped it up to 3 gbps. What else is there that would "do the job completely"?

404Ender said:

Happens on my college piece of shit network ALL the time. Usually after 10-15 mins it resolves itself.

How do you screencap in skype? Apparently there is an actual button for it on windows and I can't find it on mac. Shift+command+4 kind of sucks for screencaps...

giga

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you screencap in skype? Apparently there is an actual button for it on windows and I can't find it on mac. Shift+command+4 kind of sucks for screencaps...
Press spacebar after cmd+shift+4 for windows. (or do you mean Windows?) cmd+shift+3?

giga said:
Press spacebar after cmd+shift+4 for windows. (or do you mean Windows?) cmd+shift+3?

In windows there is a button on the top of your video screen that says screen capture, I was looking for that in mac... I don't like the built in osx screencap because it usually gets part of the menu that says pause, end call, etc. in the middle of the capture.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
In windows there is a button on the top of your video screen that says screen capture, I was looking for that in mac... I don't like the built in osx screencap because it usually gets part of the menu that says pause, end call, etc. in the middle of the capture.

cmd+shift+4 lets you select the specific area..

quadriplegicjon said:
cmd+shift+4 lets you select the specific area..

Ya, but that skype menu is stuck in the middle for a little bit when you go fullscreen which is stuck in the picture which doesn't happen if you do it within skype and not doing a normal osx screenshot. Or that's what I want at least, seems you can't do it though.

giga

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, but that skype menu is stuck in the middle for a little bit when you go fullscreen which is stuck in the picture which doesn't happen if you do it within skype and not doing a normal osx screenshot. Or that's what I want at least, seems you can't do it though.
So this is a problem with skype then? Sorry, don't use that program.

ant1532

Banned
im about to bootcamp my new macbook pro(13 inch) and im downloading windows 7 rc 64 bit right now. im doing this to run stream w/its games only. so. the question is, is 64 bit the right pick for my mac?

Ashhong

ant1532 said:
im about to bootcamp my new macbook pro(13 inch) and im downloading windows 7 rc 64 bit right now. im doing this to run stream w/its games only. so. the question is, is 64 bit the right pick for my mac?

not sure if its the "right" pick but it works perfect for me. i am using it for the same reason. how big is your partition? if you plan to run parallels on it, ur gonna have to reinstall bootcamp tools.

ant1532

Banned
Ashhong said:
not sure if its the "right" pick but it works perfect for me. i am using it for the same reason. how big is your partition? if you plan to run parallels on it, ur gonna have to reinstall bootcamp tools.
what u mean run paralles and reinstall bootcamp tools? I am burning the 64 bit right now onto a dvd and i play on using bootcamp for follown step by step instructions.... is there some stuff i should know? I dont need that much space for windows though only like <30gb. i mainly use osx, windows only for games which i dont have a lot at all

Ashhong

do you plan on using parallels? after i installed parallels the apple keyboard manager broke and i couldnt properly use bootcamp. i had to uninstall bootcamp tools, and then reinstall them.

if you do install parallels, go into bootcamp and look in the taskbar on the bottom right for the diamond apple program. if it still opens ur all good.

MrSeaneyC

404Ender said:

So annoying.

Had it a few times, disabling the firewall and trying again and re-enabling after it's picked up an IP usually helps a lot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ant1532 said:
what u mean run paralles and reinstall bootcamp tools? I am burning the 64 bit right now onto a dvd and i play on using bootcamp for follown step by step instructions.... is there some stuff i should know? I dont need that much space for windows though only like <30gb. i mainly use osx, windows only for games which i dont have a lot at all
Does bootcamp even support Windows 7 yet?

FuturusX

Hitokage said:
Does bootcamp even support Windows 7 yet?

I'm running windows 7 on bootcamp and Fusion on a Macbookpro 3,1. I've tested / installed both 32 bit and 64bit. It takes some doing but it can be done.

The method varies depending on the model you have....

Ashhong

FuturusX said:
I'm running windows 7 on bootcamp and Fusion on a Macbookpro 3,1. I've tested / installed both 32 bit and 64bit. It takes some doing but it can be done.

The method varies depending on the model you have....

what doing? i had zero issues with Windows 7 and boot camp, not including the Parallels problem. Ive only used 64bit, but it was easy as can be.

My desktop is fucked. Certain files just won't move and aren't responsive to my mouse, whereas some are. This seems to happen every couple of weeks.

Stealth

Don't know if this was mentioned but if you use Command + click to rearrange icons, it automatically aligns them to grid. This bothered the hell out of me when I would have to go back and re-sort things after moving stuff to the trash, especially when my desktop or download folder starts getting cluttered. It was like I could feel myself slowly growing more and more OCD. :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jimmy Stav said:
My desktop is fucked. Certain files just won't move and aren't responsive to my mouse, whereas some are. This seems to happen every couple of weeks.

killall Finder

Vyer

404Ender said:
I've only ever come across this on network issues (I.e. Other computers on the network can't get on)

MrOctober

Banned
I love this thread but I'm a pretty serious OSX noob and a lot of stuff goes straight over my head even when you guys dumb it down. I guess I have to get used to this more than I thought.

Do any of you guys customize your desktops at all? If so what sites do you use and what kind of shit do you do? I get bored very easily with my desktop and like to change things up.

Tieno

MrOctober said:
I love this thread but I'm a pretty serious OSX noob and a lot of stuff goes straight over my head even when you guys dumb it down. I guess I have to get used to this more than I thought.

Do any of you guys customize your desktops at all? If so what sites do you use and what kind of shit do you do? I get bored very easily with my desktop and like to change things up.
You can set your wallpaper to change after a fixed period of time. I download all wallpapers I like to one folder and atm it changes every 15 minutes.

You can use geektool to display all sorts of text information, but it's not very user friendly.

Top Bottom