• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Machinarium PSN |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just to show awareness to the game.

Qtmgf.png

Release Dates:
  • US: Out now!
  • EU: Out now!

Genre:
Point-and-Click Adventure Game

Developer:
Amanita Games

Description:
The goal of Machinarium is to solve a series of puzzles and brain teasers.
The puzzles are linked together by an overworld consisting of a traditional
"point and click" adventure story. The overworld's most radical departure
is that only objects within the player character's reach can be clicked on.

Machinarium is notable in that it contains no dialogue, spoken or written,
and apart from a few tutorial prompts on the first screen, is devoid of
understandable language entirely. The game instead uses a system of
animated thought bubbles. Easter egg back story scenes in the same
format can only be revealed by idling in certain areas.

Screenshots:

Videos:
Machinarium PC trailer
5-minute PS3 video

The_Monk

Finished this game last week on PSN despite having on Steam.

Play this game if you haven't fellow GAFfers! It's really good, great art style and I did like the Story.

And if you like Trophies relax, all of them are Story related, all you have to do is finish the game.

GamerSciz

First time hearing about this game but GAF hasn't really steered me wrong in the realm of pointing out good games. I will give it a shot.

UV-6

Awesome game. Not going to lie, I had to look at the walkthrough a couple times. Some of the puzzles were quite challenging.

I got it for free with PS+ and downloaded it but haven't actually played it yet. Huh.

EU, I'm assuming?

I have US PS+ and never had the offer to get it for free. :(

I've been a fan of point-and-click since the glory days of Sierra Online, so I want to drop $9.99 just to support the genre.
Good plan, yes?

BARKSTAR

Banned
Played this game for a few hours two nights in a row and then finished it. Was a good little experience and apart from a few annoying little gameplay elements I would recommend it to fans of the genre without hesitation.

EU, I'm assuming?

I have US PS+ and never had the offer to get it for free. :(

I've been a fan of point-and-click since the glory days of Sierra Online, so I want to drop $9.99 just to support the genre.
Good plan, yes?

You can buy the PC version for $10 from the developer if you want all the money to go to them.
demo:
http://machinarium.net/demo/

I bought it at the time but went through the PS3 version, had forgotten most of the puzzles! It's quite well implemented with various control shortcuts. (Can use the right stick to make you tall or small)

Yuterald

I have a good friend who's been bugging me for AGES to play this game. Since I prefer gaming on consoles/portables I finally have the chance to play the game. I downloaded it yesterday and I believe I'm half way through. I'm not the biggest PC "Point & Click Adventure Game" guy, but there are a few that have always interested me. This is definitely one of them (along with The Neverhood which is something I'd like to sit through one day).

Anyway, the graphics and artwork is incredible. I love the look of the main robot dude and all the NPCs have their interesting quirks and look. They're just plain cool looking and incredibly charming! The junk yard/scrapyard setting is really cool and the soundtrack is so chill. Total ambiance tracks, I love it! All of the puzzles have been pretty clever so far too. Again, my experience with this genre is extremely limited so what may be unimpressive to other fans of the genre for me comes off as really interesting and engaging. I haven't had to resort to the unlock box/TV, yet.

My only problem with the game so far is that fucking Tic-Tac-Toe game! I can't beat it! I refuse to use the TV help box too. The AI is too good. I've tried so many times to outsmart it and I always get screwed over. I guess I'll figure it out eventually, but other than that small road block I'm really enjoying it. I can't wait to see what the ending is like too. I have no what's going on in this game, but it's fucking cool as shit!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I read somewhere that PS3 version is the "best" version. Care to shine a light on that?

It's the only version that ran fine for me. PC version is a flash game that never really worked on my PC.

But overall the game is not that great. The only real positive is the art style. But the "textless" dialogues are plain boring after a while, the puzzles are not very good and the mini games are really bad.

Shiloa

Looks beautiful, but it's a very plain point-and-click puzzler. None of the puzzles really shine and there are so many issues with interaction and understanding what you are actually capable of doing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
My only problem with the game so far is that fucking Tic-Tac-Toe game! I can't beat it! I refuse to use the TV help box too. The AI is too good.

The AI fucks up from time to time. Just try to always go for situations where you have two possibilities to win.

Grinchy

Banned
Love this game. Didn't need a guide until the last puzzle, which completely sucks. The rest of the game is ace.

My only problem with the game so far is that fucking Tic-Tac-Toe game! I can't beat it! I refuse to use the TV help box too. The AI is too good. I've tried so many times to outsmart it and I always get screwed over. I guess I'll figure it out eventually, but other than that small road block I'm really enjoying it.

It's tricky, I used to have that game on an ancient phone of mine, so I had some experience. You have to be trying to form options for more than one line at a time, you'll get there eventually.

Looks beautiful, but it's a very plain point-and-click puzzler. None of the puzzles really shine and there are so many issues with interaction and understanding what you are actually capable of doing.

This is where it shines for me. It doesn't try to do anything different and presents itself as a text book example of an adventure game. I personally thought the puzzles were fun and some even took me awhile to figure out.

There are certainly better adventures out there but for a indie adventure made by a small team I think it turned out pretty good.

Robso

I've been meaning to look up what this was about. Have it downloaded thanks to PS Plus, will have to play it soon.

Haunted

super charming game, great style, logical puzzles and expressive characters. recommended to anyone who hasn't checked out any of the other versions yet.

jollycorner, go for it.

PokéKong

One of my favorite point and click adventure games, indie games, games ever, GOTY whatever year it first came out, soundtrack is album of the year, everyone needs to play it, what format doesn't really matter, it was made in Flash for crying out loud.

Katzii

Lovely game, beautiful visuals, but I did find myself with my face up to the TV trying to find intricate little details I couldn't spot from where I was sitting (which wasn't too far from the screen). Glad I played it, glad I didn't pay for it.

It's charming and has a lovely art style, but trying to figure out some of those puzzles was infuriating. I'm not a fan of adventure games to begin with, anyway.

Yasawas

I picked this up when it was free on PS+ but hadn't played it yet, think I had it from a Humble Indie Bundle too but who can keep track of those games?

Anyway I am not good at adventure games but I kind of want to play this because it looks utterly gorgeous so I've started afresh this morning. I got as far as the six or seventh screen without getting stuck once but then when I did, the hints system, rather than be presented in the style of a series of ever less subtle clues as I'd expected is actually in the form of a delightful wee comic strip which made me happy already even though I'm clearly not good. I will probably be seeing a lot of these so at least they're well done.

Larsen B

Despite buying it 3(!) times on PC, I only finished it last month because it was on EU PS+.

It is absolutely wonderful. Amazing music, beautiful visuals and the occasional deviations from point'n'click gameplay only help keep the experience fresh. It doesn't outstay its welcome, isn't too difficult and is so charming.

Top Bottom