• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Monocle

Yeah the more it sinks in the more I really feel like Miller should have gotten Best Director for Fury Road, especially when you consider how intimate he was with so many of the aspects of the movie (many of which got Oscars)
Yep, it's a shame. But at least the six awards it did win paint the right picture.

Ashhong

If you told me Mad Max: Fury Road was going to be the winner of 6 Oscars a year ago, well from pure fanboyism I would've told you so lol, but realistically I would of laughed in your face. Here we are though and holy shit. lol

Yeah I think Miller got robbed. It was pretty stupid how the Academy started with "tonight we're going award the best film(s) in the order of their conception starting with Screenplay..." and then having Fury Road taking production, costume, hair and make up, sound design, sound editing and editing with all these guys thanking the chief. Then you get to Best Director and Picture and have 2 different films winning.

Like. Huh? lol

I'd pump your brakes and hold off on the silver paint. I don't think we're going to be getting another Mad Max film in a long time, if ever. :(

How does it winning those awards mean that it should win BD and BP? Maybe if it won best screenplay as well

Quixzlizx

I knew there was no shot for Best Picture, but I was crossing my fingers for Best Director, although I knew that wasn't going to happen after the DGA.

Not

Banned
If Fury Road had gotten best picture, you could've made a compelling case to me that the Oscars were still relevant.

But whatever. Good that it got the recognition it did. Still won't see Spotlight, though

If Fury Road had gotten best picture, you could've made a compelling case to me that the Oscars were still relevant.

But whatever. Good that it got the recognition it did. Still won't see Spotlight, though

aww why not! spotlight's a really good film

it's not fury road and yea, im pretty bummed mad max didnt win best director or best pic but spotlight's still really good

I'd pump your brakes and hold off on the silver paint. I don't think we're going to be getting another Mad Max film in a long time, if ever. :(
watchu talking about? Those rumors of Miller giving up Mad Max were bunk.
In 2011, Miller and McCarthy found during the writing process for Fury Road that they had enough story material for two additional scripts. One of these, entitled Mad Max: Furiosa, had already been completed, and Miller hoped to film it after the release of Fury Road.[143] In March 2015, during an interview with Esquire, Hardy revealed that he was attached to star in four more Mad Max films following Fury Road.[144] In May 2015, Miller told Wired: "Should Fury Road be successful, I've got two other stories to tell."[145] Later in May, Miller revealed that plans for the sequel had changed and the next instalment will instead be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland.[146][147] In October 2015, Miller revealed in an interview with TopGear.com that they had two scripts for sequels which they ended up with during the writing process.[148] Later in October in an interview with Digital Spy, he revealed that Furiosa won't appear in the sequel and clarified that Mad Max: The Wasteland is just a working title for the sequel.[149][150][relevant? – discuss] Miller reaffirmed his intent to continue the franchise after reports to the contrary surfaced following an interview in January 2016.[151]

Simo

How does it winning those awards mean that it should win BD and BP? Maybe if it won best screenplay as well

I don't know it just seems like if you're honoring all these departments then why not the guy leading it all who was intimately involved in the process from it's genesis and his vision who also spent 15 years trying to get the movie made and in the end it's a fucking terrific movie?

watchu talking about? Those rumors of Miller giving up Mad Max were bunk.

Hoping to move forward and financially being able to move forward with the franchise though are different..lol Not everything was shiny and chrome with WB and Miller and thats all that can be said about it.

He absolutely did the most impressive directing job this year

Innaritu was more a detriment to revenant than its boon imo. He took away from what could have been an incredible revenge flick. Lubezki absolutely deserved the award, not him tho.

Still a movie like this. Something you could almost call a counterculture blockbuster, winning some Oscars is pretty amazing too

These are the voters who were too afraid to watch straight Outta Compton when they got the screeners because it was about rap music lol. They somehow voted that this film win some awards

I don't know it just seems like if you're honoring all these departments then why not the guy leading it all who was intimately involved in the process from it's genesis and his vision who also spent 15 years trying to get the movie made and in the end it's a fucking terrific movie?

Hoping to move forward and financially being able to move forward with the franchise though are different..lol Not everything was shiny and chrome with WB and Miller and thats all that can be said about it.
Oh well. At least hoping Fury Road sweep will change minds at WB.

Cosmozone

Happy Birthday, George Miller! :-D

Just saw The Good, The Bad, The Weird again. Awesome fun, recommended for FR fans to get their fix, it had a great Mad Maxesque chase sequence. There was even a blown up stone arch. :)

Saw Fury Road again on HBO last night for maybe...the 8th time now? This time with subtitles. I picked up a few things I didn't before.

This is easily the most rewatchable movie I've ever seen. I am ready to watch it again. And again! I needs the bw version pls.

NR1

Picked up the 4K HDR blu-ray today. Can't wait to rewatch.

I have been searching Best Buy, Frys, Conn's, and other retail electronic stores for a demo of the UHD Blu-ray Discs, but nobody has them. I would kill to see a side-by-side comparison of Mad Max on a 4K set. They did it with Blu-ray right at the get go-- 480p DVD image on the left side of the screen and 1080p Blu on the right. Demo of Dead Man's Chest and a few other titles. I got a 4K TV, but I just don't know if the jump from 1080p to 4K is as noticeable as 480p to 1080p.

Please give impressions!

Dead

well not really...yet
I have been searching Best Buy, Frys, Conn's, and other retail electronic stores for a demo of the UHD Blu-ray Discs, but nobody has them. I would kill to see a side-by-side comparison of Mad Max on a 4K set. They did it with Blu-ray right at the get go-- 480p DVD image on the left side of the screen and 1080p Blu on the right. Demo of Dead Man's Chest and a few other titles. I got a 4K TV, but I just don't know if the jump from 1080p to 4K is as noticeable as 480p to 1080p.

Please give impressions!
The resolution increase is not worth it. HDR and Wide Color is. Unless you have a top spec TV, you will probably not get the most out of it. I Purchased an LG 4K OLED late last year and is it's the best display on the market I jumped in to UHD blu-ray instantly.

For Mad Max, it's actually one of the weaker UHD discs I think, the color seems fucked with compared to the regular BD, so while the enhanced dynamic range is fantastic, it's ruined by colors that aren't accurate to the original presentation.Other movies I've purchased have not had this problem and look mind blowing thanks to the richer (but still accurate) color and crazy localized enhanced contrast and brightness.

3D remains the best presentation of the movie IMO, again, provided you have a display capable of showing good 3D (4K + Passive 3D is I think the only good way to display 3D at home, outside of projection)

NR1

The resolution increase is not worth it. HDR and Wide Color is. Unless you have a top spec TV, you will probably not get the most out of it. I Purchased an LG 4K OLED late last year and is it's the best display on the market I jumped in to UHD blu-ray instantly.

For Mad Max, it's actually one of the weaker UHD discs I think, the color seems fucked with compared to the regular BD, so while the enhanced dynamic range is fantastic, it's ruined by colors that aren't accurate to the original presentation.Other movies I've purchased have not had this problem and look mind blowing thanks to the richer (but still accurate) color and crazy localized enhanced contrast and brightness.

3D remains the best presentation of the movie IMO, again, provided you have a display capable of showing good 3D (4K + Passive 3D is I think the only good way to display 3D at home, outside of projection)

Thanks for the details and impressions. I purchased an 65-inch 3D 4K LED last year, but LG's OLED screen was so very tempting at the time. My budget was pretty firm at $2000, so my choice was either 1080p 3D OLED or 4K 3D LED. I tell you what, the black levels on those OLEDs are INSANE. I was actually having a hard time telling the difference apart from the 1080p and 4K.

Fury Road was the first 3D film I demoed on my screen and my family, friends, and I were blown away (passive 3D). Completely agree that its perhaps the greatest way to currently view the film. As a matter of fact, 3D is one of the biggest things holding me back from UHD at the moment. None of the UHD releases contain a 3D copy of the movie. Ideally, they should switch the Digital Copy to a 3D copy in cases where a 3D version of the title exists--- Days of Future Past, The Peanuts Movie, The Martian, Fury Road, Pan, Life of Pi, The Lego Movie, ect..

At least with 3D, there is a clear visual difference in presentation. 4K jest needs to show me something a little more concrete to get me completely sold. I want to see the benefits of HDR first hand.

Simo

Sequel..news? Maybe? Didn't think it was really new thread worthy since it's just Theron expressing wanting to return to play Furiosa when before she was pretty adamant her time with Mad Max was done due to motherhood, a difficult shoot and clashing with Hardy but there's still no change with WB and Miller last I heard..?
http://www.mtv.com/news/video/2866528/charlize-theron-mad-max-furiosa-sequel/?xrs=+_s.tw_popcult
“I would love to bring her back to life, are you kidding?… To have people react to something like that where you went and worked your balls off (laughs), it’s really, really nice, it kind of just puts everything into perspective. I can see how people are responding to her and I look at my little girl and I’m like, ‘Yeah I’d love to play this woman again, definitely.’”

“I haven’t seen George since the Oscars. I think all of this has been really overwhelming for him, and he likes to take his time and he’s very concise. I think if he’s ready, he’ll be ready, and hopefully he’ll call.”

Monocle

Seeing "George" and "Oscars" in the same sentence reminds me just how badly he got robbed. Not to put too much value in awards, what a colossal injustice considering the ultimate result of his years of effort.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe they could do a spin off movie about Furiosa, there was supposed to be an anime at one point. Could be an origin film before the events of Fury Road or maybe even something where she is trying to unite the three large settlements or maybe even facing a larger threat.

RS4-

Sequel..news? Maybe? Didn't think it was really new thread worthy since it's just Theron expressing wanting to return to play Furiosa when before she was pretty adamant her time with Mad Max was done due to motherhood, a difficult shoot and clashing with Hardy but there's still no change with WB and Miller last I heard..?
http://www.mtv.com/news/video/2866528/charlize-theron-mad-max-furiosa-sequel/?xrs=+_s.tw_popcult

This clashing with Hardy is news to me.

Watched it again a few days ago, still love it. Spent a little time looking for updates on a sequel.

It was just a difficult shoot for everyone. She said her and Hardy are bros still.

I think I read (it's been a little while) that Hardy, in general, was often frustrated due to the lack of direction for his character, or something similar to that. It could have been just that he was frustrated by how heavily the movie relied on storyboards as a "script". Hardy strikes me as a person who really likes to dig into a role--maybe Miller's approach was frustrating to him, at times.

Doesn't really fit the Mad Max universe to bring someone back besides Max. Also, her arc had a perfect ending.
I think Furiosa was an excellent character. I absolutely think she can carry a standalone spinoff. However I'd like 2 or 3 more Mad Max movies with Max Rockatansky in them before talking about spinoffs.

Simo

I think I read (it's been a little while) that Hardy, in general, was often frustrated due to the lack of direction for his character, or something similar to that. It could have been just that he was frustrated by how heavily the movie relied on storyboards as a "script". Hardy strikes me as a person who really likes to dig into a role--maybe Miller's approach was frustrating to him, at times.

Hardy just didn't "get" Max, at least the deeper parts of the character. He even had his long time friend and screenwriter Kelly Marcel take a crack at Max. All the physical and survival stuff he was game for and even in 2009 did survival training where he packed up his shit and wandered off in the outback to set up temporary shelters and camps and then quickly dissemble them and move on just like Max would.

It wasn't until Hardy saw the film that he understood what Miller was going for and apologized profusely to him at the Cannes premiere.

So yeah he was frustrated on set and Theron was a diva and didn't want to be there but who had her good days here and there. The two of them just didn't like each other during the shoot.

Yeah, I'd love an eventual return to the Citadel to find what Furiosa has been up to (whether good or bad) or maybe just a random run-in with her on the road.

Hardy just didn't "get" Max, at least the deeper parts of the character. He even had his long time friend and screenwriter Kelly Marcel take a crack at Max. All the physical and survival stuff he was game for and even in 2009 did survival training where he packed up his shit and wandered off in the outback to set up temporary shelters and camps and then quickly dissemble them and move on just like Max would.

It wasn't until Hardy saw the film that he understood what Miller was going for and apologized profusely to him at the Cannes premiere.

So yeah he was frustrated on set and Theron was a diva and didn't want to be there but who had her good days here and there. The two of them just didn't like each other during the shoot.

Ah, nice--thanks for elaborating. I remember the apology.

mattp

sources on this stuff?
just curious to read/watch more

I agree. Other than Max I want a completely new set of characters for each film.

absolutely. I love Furiosa so much but returning to her would be lame.

Maybe a prequel but that would be without Max, if Miller is up for it then I'm game for that too. Just give me something with him on the director's chair again in this universe.

Scavenger

Region B only *QUOTES YOUR AVATAR*

Only on .dear or everywhere?

I'll import if needs be, hopefully it won't be cut or anything.
I'm pretty sure other Warner Bros branches are prepping their own release, so there might not even be a need to import.

It would be better to wait for a UK/US release. The 3D releases in a bunch of European countries, such as France, Germany, The Netherlands didn't have lossless English audio. Who knows what crap Warner Bros will pull off this time.

Warner Bros Germany is releasing an Amazon.de exclusive Mad Max boxset that contains the Black and Chrome Edition of Fury Road. Release date 29 September 2016.

Half-ass translation of the description. Looks like Road Warrior and Thunderdome are getting new features too.

The Collection includes all legendary Mad Max films starring Mel Gibson as Mad Max and George Miller's remake with Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky: Mad Max, Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior, Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome and Mad Max: Fury Road.
Contains the the Madness of Max documentary on DVD, as well as brand new documentation for Mad Max 2 - the Road Warrior, Mad Max 3 - Beyond Thunderdome and Mad Max. Fury Road Contains more than 4 hours of new bonus material: executor documentary: ROAD WAR -In the continuation of the post-apocalyptic classic drives the team epic effort to create a timeless action movie (about 30 minutes) Thunderdome documentary: the cast and crew endured the memorable filming of "Beyond Thunderdome" 50 ° C heat and massive sandstorms (about 45 minutes) Fury Road Doku: GOING MAD - the incredible, improbable, but not entirely impossible battle for the rotation to Fury Road. (about 60 minutes) Fury Road "Black and Chrome" Edition - The surreal black and white film version of Fury Road of the brilliant George Miller (approximately 120 minutes) Also includes the previously released documentary about Mad Max (1979): "Madness of Max "(157 minutes) on DVD

sC9iCsV.gif

Simo

Warner Bros Germany is releasing an Amazon.de exclusive Mad Max boxset that contains the Black and Chrome Edition of Fury Road. Release date 29 September 2016.

Half-ass translation of the description. Looks like Road Warrior and Thunderdome are getting new features too.

Very fucking cool. They already released a boxset with Fury Road and the Madness of Max doc with it last September here in the US so I wonder if they'd do a re-release with all the new content and "Black & Chrome" edition?

Then again Germany also got a Fury Road CE blu release that the US didn't so....=/

sources on this stuff?
just curious to read/watch more

Oh man all over. I followed the production of Fury Road for near on 15 years and a lot of it came from interviews during that time and some of those who also worked on the film.

I'd take a black and white version if miller edited out the downtime scene between the many mothers and max/the gang. You cut that out and then you can literally have an entire movie understood through no dialogue at all. Just have the soundtrack played over the film in black and white haha.

I'm rewatching this film right now and the timeline is bothering me. (Keep in mind this is the only Mad Max film I've seen so I don't know the backstory.) In the beginning of Fury Road, Max tells the viewer that he was a police officer, implying that he had a normal live prior to the collapse of civilization. However, Furiousa, who is at least Max's age if not older, says that she was born in the Green Place, meaning that she was born well after the apocalypse.

Am I missing something that explains this inconsistency?

I'm rewatching this film right now and the timeline is bothering me. (Keep in mind this is the only Mad Max film I've seen so I don't know the backstory.) In the beginning of Fury Road, Max tells the viewer that he was a police officer, implying that he had a normal live prior to the collapse of civilization. However, Furiousa, who is at least Max's age if not older, says that she was born in the Green Place, meaning that she was born well after the apocalypse.

I think when Furiosa was a child, the 'green place' might have been a civilized settlement? With farming and growing things and stuff? Similar maybe to what Max had when he was still a police officer (if we're going by the actual mad max films, they had pockets of small townships amidst the decaying apocalyptic world).

Later, she was stolen from that 'green place' and when she returns now... she couldnt even recognize the place anymore.

The Mothers explain what happened to the green place. In this apocalypse, not everything gets wiped out at the same time.

Simo

Mad Max: Fury Road was written, planned and designed to be a sequel to the previous Mad Max movies set 30 years after the events of Beyond Thunderdome.

So yeah Max is technically supposed to be in his 50s or close to Mel Gibson's real age anyway in Fury Road but obviously when Mel dropped out they didn't really alter the script from what it was originally save for the ending even when they cast someone much younger.

The first Mad Max film wasn't really set during the post-apocalypse but rather at the beginning of the collapse. Even Mad Max 2 AKA The Road Warrior wasn't quite post-apocalyptic because the nukes hadn't dropped yet but a lot of people had abandoned the cities and roads which were being taking over by gangs and fled into the "Wasteland" or outback. In between Mad Max 2 and Beyond Thunderdome the nukes had dropped.

So yeah Max is technically supposed to be in his 50s or close to Mel Gibson's real age anyway in Fury Road but obviously when Mel dropped out they didn't really alter the script from what it was originally save for the ending even when they cast someone much younger.

What was the original ending?

Simo

Interesting. I guess it's clear why they changed it...

Yeah but if Mel had stayed on with the project and the delays in filming never happened then the ending likely would of been the original one.

Brendan McCarthy who came up with the story originally with Miller and design/storyboarded the film didn't even know the ending had been changed until he saw the movie. lol

I still jonesing for the Black and Chrome edition...

Just in Germany for now which got it's released bumped back to October 25th. I'm honestly beginning to think that the legal issues between Miller and WB is what could be affecting a larger release for it? Perhaps licensing issues or a deal with WB in Europe is whats allowing them to release it?

After all Germany got a pretty cool collector's edition for Fury Road that no other stores or outlets saw. :(

Top Bottom