• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Finalow

mad
/mad/
adjective
mentally ill; insane.
"he felt as if he were going mad"
sarcasm
/sarcasm/
noun
gaf doesn't always get it; also known as ''internet silly jokes'' which aren't really funny but might occasionally make people crack a smile.
"your sarcasm hurt them deeply because they'd tried so hard"

Toxi

Banned
sarcasm
/sarcasm/
noun
gaf doesn't always get it; also known as ''internet silly jokes'' which aren't really funny but might occasionally make people crack a smile.
That's dishonest. Low.

mattp

sarcasm
/sarcasm/
noun

haha woops
well, theres not much to indicate you were being sarcastic there!

Mad Max went 6 for 8 thus far at the Oscars.

Production Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, and Editing.
It lost cinematography and visual effects.

I think it is safe to say its night has ended unless it pulls some serious dark horse shit to pull Best Director and Best Picture at this point.

Damn good run, and well deserved.

Did better than I ever expected. That'll do, George. That'll do.

untitled-1021r6i.gif

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

too bad

TOO BAD.

but im glad it won so many awards :>

but oh man, wished it had won either best director or pic

.___.

Even if Mad Max didn't win Best Picture or Director, it will be the only Best Picture nominee we still talk about ten years later.

Just a feeling.

Time is the ultimate judge of all art, and time is going to very kind to Mad Max: Fury Road.

Even if Mad Max didn't win Best Picture or Director, it will be the only Best Picture nominee we still talk about ten years later.

Just a feeling.

Time is the ultimate judge of all art, and time is going to very kind to Mad Max: Fury Road.

i feel the opposite. movies that rely completely on visuals rarely age well.

TheXbox

Carol and Beasts really should've been nominated. I didn't see all the BP nominees, but I've seen way more this year than I usually do, and besides Mad Max (which was never going to win) they were the best.

edit: wrong thread, my bad. Max lives on in our hearts

Most of us predicted that Mad Max has a really good chance of sweeping the technical awards and it did! YAYAYA

Best director was the "sensible" choice. It had a really high probability of a win. Sucks that it didn't. Best picture was always a long shot. Overall I think the movie did pretty good by sweeping most of the awards.

Most of us predicted that Mad Max has a really good chance of sweeping the technical awards and it did! YAYAYA

Best director was the "sensible" choice. It had a really high probability of a win. Sucks that it didn't. Best picture was always a long shot. Overall I think the movie did pretty good by sweeping most of the awards.

The losses for Cinematography and Visual Effects made sense in the end. I never thought it would win Cinematography, but was holding out hope for visual effects. Although, I think the fact that most of the visual effects work was invisible hurt the awards chances, as odd as that sounds. The effects being nearly invisible is more impressive to me, but Ex Machina had some damn impressive work, and its win was well deserved.

The Best Director Oscar was a lost cause once the DGA awards came out though.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The losses for Cinematography and Visual Effects made sense in the end. I never thought it would win Cinematography, but was holding out hope for visual effects. Although, I think the fact that most of the visual effects work was invisible hurt the awards chances, as odd as that sounds. The effects being nearly invisible is more impressive to me, but Ex Machina had some damn impressive work, and its win was well deserved.

The Best Director Oscar was a lost cause once the DGA awards came out though.

Chromed skins and suits? eeeeeeh.
I'd have understood a loss to TFA, but there's a reason betting markets had Ex Machina 82:1.

Chromed skins and suits? eeeeeeh.
I'd have understood a loss to TFA, but there's a reason betting markets had Ex Machina 82:1.

There is quite a bit more going on than just chromed skins and suits here.

machina_a.jpg

It is impressive work no matter what, and even more impressive considering the budget of the film ($15m).

After tonight I feel like watching it again. Is it still on HBO?

The more important question is why you don't own it on DVD or Blu yet.

Monocle

Miller was absolutely robbed, and Fury Road should have won for visual effects. Overall, still a great night for a deserving film.

It'll age just fine. Lots of real stunts, doesn't rely too heavily on CGI.

And a vast majority of the CGI in it was completely invisible to most people. The visuals will age very well. And the times the CGI starts to falter (the final part of the race back to the Citadel at the end), you are so caught up in the characters and the drama that the illusion breaking ever so slightly is not a problem at all.

Top Bottom