• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Timeaisis

Never thought an action film could win six Oscars. Pretty amazing. I'll always remember for the first time I saw it with George and Hugh in the audience, people were hooting and hollering at every big moment. Crazy film and well deserved.

George Miller and Mad Max ain't getting any awards. I will personally shine all y'all shoes if it happens.

ZPY2kqF.gif

Oersted

Even if Mad Max didn't win Best Picture or Director, it will be the only Best Picture nominee we still talk about ten years later.

Just a feeling.

Time is the ultimate judge of all art, and time is going to very kind to Mad Max: Fury Road.

Best film, just like best football player is always a pointless thing. There are best movies, not the best.

But yeah, most of these movies will be forgotten. Mad Max won't be.

There is quite a bit more going on than just chromed skins and suits here.

machina_a.jpg

It is impressive work no matter what, and even more impressive considering the budget of the film ($15m).
Yep, the CG in Ex Machina blends so well with the rest of things in frames, reminds me of Gravity's extremely photorealistic CG set in many scenes.

District 9's budget was 30 million, Elysium's budget was 115 million, Chappie's budget was 49 million. Sometimes less is more.

More about the scale of the production in terms of locations and cast than vfx. A movie that takes place in like 8 rooms has a safe mark. And the VFX of Elysium does look better than those of District 9, and by a lot despite the quality of the movie.

Nevertheless, I can't say I'm impressed with Ex-machina visually. It just does the job, and seems relatively easy to pull off even compared to movies from 6 years ago like Benjamin Button.

Best film, just like best football player is always a pointless thing. There are best movies, not the best.

But yeah, most of these movies will be forgotten. Mad Max won't be.

We'll remember them. We always remember the winners. We'll remember Mad Max because honestly there won't be any action movie that will try to do what this did for maybe another 10 years. The action movies that don't try are the ones that will be forgotten, like Gods of Egypt.

Oersted

We'll remember them. We always remember the winners. We'll remember Mad Max because honestly there won't be any action movie that will try to do what this did for maybe another 10 years. The action movies that don't try are the ones that will be forgotten, like Gods of Egypt.

Eh, depends.

I bet most people would have to look up which movie won when Star Wars, Matrix, Vertigo, Citizen Kane and Singin in the Rain got released.

I know i had to.

Miller was heavily involved in every step of making this film. Every single Oscar Fury Road got is his as well. :)

I'm really glad it will get even more recognition now. So deserved!!!

neoism

After tonight I feel like watching it again. Is it still on HBO?

It actually premiered a few days ago, ... I did rewatch it on HBO last sunday.. i did like it more than the first time, but i still dont really like it. like the editing and that it won the Oscar because I read on wiki after I watched it the second time about the few parts in the movie where it looks like it speeds up and that's because George didn't like certain scenes because they were too long so he sped up the frame rate to make the scenes go faster. It just makes the movie look werid.. I mean overall it was good editing, but the movie should have been about 20 minutes longer with more breathing room and maybe quieter scenes with actual character development.. I mean i fuckin loove Hardy, but it's not like he was a bad Max it's just the script didn't let them be a good one he had almost no lines whatsoever in the movie and it just really annoyed me. i'm sure with the money the movie has made and the six wins last night will definitely speed up a sequel and I hope if Hardy does do it again they actually let him act with lines.. I realize that's kind of part of the character Max but even Mel had more lines of all three of the other movies.

It actually premiered a few days ago, ... I did rewatch it on HBO last sunday.. i did like it more than the first time, but i still dont really like it. like the editing and that it won the Oscar because I read on wiki after I watched it the second time about the few parts in the movie where it looks like it speeds up and that's because George didn't like certain scenes because they were too long so he sped up the frame rate to make the scenes go faster. It just makes the movie look werid.. I mean overall it was good editing, but the movie should have been about 20 minutes longer with more breathing room and maybe quieter scenes with actual character development.. I mean i fuckin loove Hardy, but it's not like he was a bad Max it's just the script didn't let them be a good one he had almost no lines whatsoever in the movie and it just really annoyed me. i'm sure with the money the movie has made and the six wins last night will definitely speed up a sequel and I hope if Hardy does do it again they actually let him act with lines.. I realize that's kind of part of the character Max but even Mel had more lines of all three of the other movies.

I don't think you could be anymore wrong about the run time. That was one of the things the movie got so right, there was no wasted time in the film. Padding out the movie with extra slow dialogue would have hurt the movie IMO.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's a shoestring budget for such a polished movie. Nothing about it looks cheap, and I saw the movie twice.

It took place almost entirely in a few rooms with a cast of four, all of them cheap. No mystery there.

Timbuktu

Agreed. It looked great, but it was clearly designed around a small budget.

I don't think that takes away from what was achieved. Alex Garland clearly had the experience to plan and write the whole project as a directorial debut based on a budget and achieves what he wants without overreaching. He used his resources in exactly the right places and to maximum effect. That goes for the casting as well, pretty much all of them have/will probably get an Oscar at some point.

hamchan

When I look at Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior and how it's considered one of the best and most influential action movies of all time yet received zero recognition from the Academy, I can only be happy that Fury Road won the most Oscars this year.

George Miller is married to Margaret Sixel (Best Editing Award Winner), so in a way, he still does go home with an Oscar tonight.

loved seeing this at the Oscar Ceremony, every time they had to run clips of it it just looks so dang good and refreshingly different from the other award fodder. And now I always get to refer to the film as "Winner of Six Academy Awards, Mad Max: Fury Road". That already feels nice.

Sephzilla

George Miller is married to Margaret Sixel (Best Editing Award Winner), so in a way, he still does go home with an Oscar tonight.

loved seeing this at the Oscar Ceremony, every time they had to run clips of it it just looks so dang good and refreshingly different from the other award fodder. And now I always get to refer to the film as "Winner of Six Academy Awards, Mad Max: Fury Road". That already feels nice.

It should have been seven. Fury Road's soundtrack is better than Force Awakens', and I say this as someone who loved Force Awakens.

Llyranor

Is this the only Oscar-winning film OT that's being actively discussed/posted in? All the other films seem to be relegated to the Oscar threads. Says it all, doesn't it :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I never expected Max to win best picture, but I did think it had a great chance at winning best director. I also didn't think it would win six oscars though, I mean I expected it to get a couple for sure, but six? Max did better than I expected, but honestly it's well deserved as it's a fantastic film.

So Mad Max: Wasteland is all but confirmed after the sweep then, no? This is a glorious comeback for an IP that was gathering dust.

Come on Miller. Make something to top Fury Road you glorious bastard.

So Mad Max: Wasteland is all but confirmed after the sweep then, no? This is a glorious comeback for an IP that was gathering dust.

I think everyone should not raise their expectations that much.

Topping Fury Road sounds like a miracle.

I think Mad Max: Wasteland will be very different. It will be to Fury Road what Chrono Cross was to Chrono Trigger. Don't expect a "Fury Road 2".

SkylineRKR

How is Charlize Theron not even nominated? JXL should've been nominated too (dat fucking ambush scene with brothers in arms playing, holy shit). But against Morricone? Not touching that, he got snubbed so many times before. Man is a legend.

Fury Road is like the best film I've seen since TDK. Its still the biggest winner this year, but it didn't win any of the important or rather big ones which is a bit of a shame. But for a balls to the walls action movie its still very succesful.

Simo

If you told me Mad Max: Fury Road was going to be the winner of 6 Oscars a year ago, well from pure fanboyism I would've told you so lol, but realistically I would of laughed in your face. Here we are though and holy shit. lol

Yeah I think Miller got robbed. It was pretty stupid how the Academy started with "tonight we're going award the best film(s) in the order of their conception starting with Screenplay..." and then having Fury Road taking production, costume, hair and make up, sound design, sound editing and editing with all these guys thanking the chief. Then you get to Best Director and Picture and have 2 different films winning.

Like. Huh? lol

I'd pump your brakes and hold off on the silver paint. I don't think we're going to be getting another Mad Max film in a long time, if ever. :(

Sephzilla

Yeah the more it sinks in the more I really feel like Miller should have gotten Best Director for Fury Road, especially when you consider how intimate he was with so many of the aspects of the movie (many of which got Oscars)

Top Bottom