• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

I just saw a commercial where Miss Theron was talking about the movie. Anytime you see a commercial where there is an actor/actress talking about a movie about to be release, it's a bad sign.

Huh?

You mean, the commercial featured her as Charlize Theron talking about how much she likes the movie she's in or something? Like a junket interview or whatever?

I don't think the film's going to get much of a mixed critical reception.

Can't wait for this.

All I could think about while watching the disappointing action in AoU was how much I wanted to see Fury Road.

copping that art book for sure.

was cautiously optimistic after the announcement this was being made, and now hype overdrive after the trailers. George Miller 'gets' it. this is how you do an old franchise revival.

It will likely not be successful, but I can't see this movie not being amazing at least.

B33

Banned
NkDrtGl.jpg

action classic indeed. i know i'm jumping the gun on here but it looked like a genre masterpiece as soon as the comic con trailer released.

who knew george miller had all this in him for years while making the happy feet movies. it looks like it bridges the gap between the lo-fi practical mad max trilogy and the modern effects-oriented big budget films of today.

Speaking of early reactions:

Devin Faraci of BirthMoviesDeath said:
I have seen Mad Max: Fury Road, but embargoes mean I cannot tell you whether or not it's an instant classic or anything. I'm not even sure I can tell you that the film has incredibly deep and subtle themes, including a powerful and surprising feminist slant that takes the form of a critique of the patriarchy.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Does anyone else think if Fury Road doesn't succeed, we'd be in with a chance of seeing a George Miller helmed Justice League movie like he was originally going to direct several years ago?

Does anyone else think if Fury Road doesn't succeed, we'd be in with a chance of seeing a George Miller helmed Justice League movie like he was originally going to direct several years ago?

i think zack snyder is already signed up for that. but WB will assuredly be clamoring to get him to direct one of these properties.

hoping mad max is a huge success tho

ed_fusion

Banned
So hype for this...

Been wanting this movie for months now and the time is almost here..ready to just kick back and geek out...

overcast

Man I cannot fucking wait.
I would not call this film taking a feminist slant surprising based off of the trailers. In fact, it's one of the many reasons I've been looking forward to this.
Yeah, that's one of the first things that stuck out to me.

Jonm1010

Banned
I haven't felt this hyped for a summer action movie in a LONG time.

I really hope it delivers.

A part of me is really nervous because I feel like it can't possibly match my hype. And now review leaks of instant classic?

I feel like my expectations are so high that anything less then near universal acclaim and becoming my personal best action movie in years, I will be let down in varying ways.

I feel like my expectations are so high that anything less then near universal acclaim and becoming my personal best action movie in years, I will be let down in varying ways.

lmao. that's about where I'm at with this too. it's kind of unfair to the film.

lmao. that's about where I'm at with this too. it's kind of unfair to the film.

This is where a rewatch will help. Because those movies, while being fun as hell across the board, aren't good all the way through. Even Road Warrior has some problems. There are dead spots, and bits of bad acting, and weird decisions made in the editing here and there.

Those are probably going to show up in this movie, too. Nothing really wrong with that, but it helps to be visually reminded.

I hate that I have a lingering "middling box office" feeling about this movie that just won't go away. I truly hope I'm wrong because it's never not looked crazy.

Simo

A few reactions came last Wednesday night after the big L.A press/advanced screening. This was one of them:
So.... I saw this last night. I was sitting in my dorm, planning to go to class later in the evening, when my roommate almost scrolls past a Facebook post that's offering extra tickets to an early screening. Naturally, we jumped at the opportunity. We grabbed our coats, hustled down to the metro, and waited in line at the Chinese Grauman for two hours. The verdict?

This film is bat-shit crazy.

Not sure where to begin, because the film is so visually stimulating and well framed, combined with the non-stop action, that the entire film feels like a blur. I've only seen the original Mad Max (will see Road Warrior tomorrow!), but this film is pretty tonally different.

This world where this is set feels so weird, so stylized, so exaggerated, that I couldn't help but fall in love with it. I want to revisit this world again and again, just due to how stellar the visual design was. Seriously, this better be nominated for a shit load of Oscars. I'm talking Production Design, Costume, Make-up, Cinematography, the whole shebang. The scenes at night are so blue and so pretty.

Now, I need to see the film again just to let everything sink in again, but I thought the story was fine enough. Nothing complex, very simple. The character development is light, but honestly, I learned so much more about the characters through their make-up, costumes, actions, or facial expressions than I did through their dialogue.

And Charlize Theron stole the show for me. So damn cool.

This film is so pro-women, it's awesome. I LOVED how many bad-ass women they had in this film without making it seem forced or trite. The fact that Charlize DOESN'T have any sort of romantic flair with Hardy is great. A relationship that grows to be founded on mutual respect. Pay attention Hollywood!

All in all, I can't yet give a final verdict, but I came out feeling appropriately hyped, and hopefully my second viewing will be just as stimulating as the first.

And here was a series of tweets about it too including the Q&A Edgar Wright conducted with George Miller:
https://storify.com/andydiggle/rachel-prior-on-mad-max-fury-road

RE: box office. I guess boxofficemojo and the likes seem to be saying that based on tracking the film will likely open in 3rd place behind Pitch Perfect 2 and The Avengers with something like $30+ million weekend? :( Didn't see the article myself just the tweets of the usual suspects on Twitter.

overcast

I hate that I have a lingering "middling box office" feeling about this movie that just won't go away. I truly hope I'm wrong because it's never not looked crazy.
Definitely get that feeling. Like 85-100 million feeling.

I can't imagine not being moved by the trailer, but I feel like many aren't.

Jonm1010

Banned
This is where a rewatch will help. Because those movies, while being fun as hell across the board, aren't good all the way through. Even Road Warrior has some problems. There are dead spots, and bits of bad acting, and weird decisions made in the editing here and there.

Those are probably going to show up in this movie, too. Nothing really wrong with that, but it helps to be visually reminded.
So this will likely be part of a GAF "backlash" thread some time in the future if that holds true for this film haha?

....Then again any time a film enamors GAF on first screenings and impressions the haters tend to inevitably follow so I won't really worry.

Jonm1010

Banned
A few reactions came last Wednesday night after the big L.A press/advanced screening. This was one of them:

And here was a series of tweets about it too including the Q&A Edgar Wright conducted with George Miller:
https://storify.com/andydiggle/rachel-prior-on-mad-max-fury-road

RE: box office. I guess boxofficemojo and the likes seem to be saying that based on tracking the film will likely open in 3rd place behind Pitch Perfect 2 and The Avengers with something like $30+ million weekend? :( Didn't see the article myself just the tweets of the usual suspects on Twitter.

That is depressing. I really kind of thought this had a good chance to be the top movie of its weekend.

I will go see it, either on day 1 or on a weekend it comes out, but i'm not really hyped. Trailers did nothing for me. Big boom-boom. Like any other blockbuster movie. Of course Mad Max is practical and not CGI, so it might change how i feel.
I'm more excited for Pitch Perfect 2 that weekend honestly, just because first one was so good.

Lazyslob

Banned
pitch perfect 2? fucking pitch perfect 2!??!?! i havent even heard of that garbage. it enrages me someone even wants to watch something called pitch perfect 2

I will go see it, either on day 1 or on a weekend it comes out, but i'm not really hyped. Trailers did nothing for me. Big boom-boom. Like any other blockbuster movie. Of course Mad Max is practical and not CGI, so it might change how i feel.
I'm more excited for Pitch Perfect 2 that weekend honestly, just because first one was so good.

And the second one is Elizabeth Banks directorial debut.

bebop242

pitch perfect 2? fucking pitch perfect 2!??!?! i havent even heard of that garbage. it enrages me someone even wants to watch something called pitch perfect 2

Hey its got a fat girl falling down stairs. Gauranteed box office smash.

On topic, I'm HYPE for Mad Max. Can't wait.

Ezalc

I'm more excited to see this than the avengers, as such I still haven't watched that one. Bring on the wasteland!

Mayyhem

My hype has been through the roof for this after that first trailer. Ever since seeing that I've just been hoping it does not disappoint.

Nibel

Look I love early impressins and can't wait for this movie despite being unfamiliar with this franchise, but calling something a classic after the first watch is just weird; it's the same with music when everybody drops the c-word after listening to the first 3 tracks of a 12-18 track album for the first time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Looking forward to this one way more than I ever thought I would considering I didn't like any of the originals all that much.

Akahige

Nice OT.

Freaking pumped for this film, all the trailers for this have been spot on, it would be nice to go into a film this year with high expectations and not be disappointed.

The original Pitch Perfect was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the second as much as I am Fury Road (which is to say, a lot).

Top Bottom