• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Subitai

This is gonna be fantastic.

I'm really worried not enough people will go see it though. As others have said, it will be this year's Edge of Tomorrow.

Laconic

Banned
It's almost hard to believe this is finally coming out after over a decade of development hell. I'm so ready.

What's incredible, is how it is said to be, well, incredible, after such prolonged development hell.

If it were a video game, there'd be a 99% chance of it's being straight up trash.

Simo

On a personal note, I just want to give a sincere thank you to Simo for the years of updates on this film.

For a long stretch of time finding any info on this production seemed damn near impossible. Google searches would pull up things from way back when Gibson was still on board, even though most of us with even a basic knowledge of this film knew damn well it was deep into production.

Simo's dedication to this film supplied the best, most up-to-date information on a regular basis.

Greatly appreciated, Simo- and great OT!
I hope this film puts a big smile on your face. :)

Wow. Thank you bud! I just hope I didn't annoy too many people bumping old threads with news or a trailer. lol And no I do not work for WB! Haha

I first heard about Fury Road or Mad Max 4 back in 2000 on Pete's fan site and for a while news came out pretty quick but the...silenced. So I thought whatever and didn't think about the film much and then in 2009 that big press conference happened in Sydney where Miller announced it was a go and teased the Interceptor and other cars and from then on I got really excited for the project and started following it's development. Not exactly a easy road considering the start and stops it had from 2009 until now. lol

Not long now...
screen.jpg

tumblr_nhhjtnQAsO1s0u7vwo1_400.gif

kaskade

Probably my most anticipated movie this summer. I really want to see Jurassic World as well but I'd wager this is going to end up being way better of a movie. Especially after seeing some of the impression people were posting on twitter.

Tizoc

Oh shit this is showing NEXT WEEK OVER HERE!

tIME to watch Mad Max 2 and 3 already just to be ready >_<

pitt_norton

Wow. Thank you bud! I just hope I didn't annoy too many people bumping old threads with news or a trailer. lol And no I do not work for WB! Haha

I first heard about Fury Road or Mad Max 4 back in 2000 on Pete's fan site and for a while news came out pretty quick but the...silenced. So I thought whatever and didn't think about the film much and then in 2009 that big press conference happened in Sydney where Miller announced it was a go and teased the Interceptor and other cars and from then on I got really excited for the project and started following it's development. Not exactly a easy road considering the start and stops it had from 2009 until now. lol

Not long now...

pete's fansite must have gotten the news from my old film school teacher haha :D

i wanna give a shout out too, you've done an outstanding job in keeping us all updated. in any mad max thread, i'd be hunting down your posts.

any chance to update the ot with direct high res files to all the trailers?

zulfate

Hey, I'm writing an article about this movie and I don't know a lot about the previous entries in this franchise. Does anyone know if they used firearms a lot in the previous entries? Also, does anyone know if the use of firearms in the new film (based on the trailers and other information) is excessive?

If someone knows that would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

My advice is to maybe watch them if you have to write about them, but to answer your question I believe there is hardly any shooting in the originals. A shot here and there. I saw a clip of fury road and there was more shooting in that clip than the whole series combined.

Blackheim

I would, but I've got finals and other stuff to do. I only have to write about the new one, I'm just choosing to reference the prevalence of firearms in the originals. Thank you so much for this information.

I did a re-watch of all 3 previous films Sunday. As was said, there wasn't much shooting in the first 2. Ammo is scarce and deteriorating. In the 3rd, Beyond Thunderdome, there was more shooting. Most notably, Ironbar using an automatic rifle. Rapidly blind firing when Max & the gang get into Underworld later in the movie.

ogbg

Alright, so there has basically been a general increase in the presence of firearms, but still far less in the originals. Cool. Thanks.

The first one has like one gunshot in it and one or two other moments of gun-wielding if I remember correctly. The second one has a bit more and also a quite a few crossbows.

EDIT: Also Max's sawn-off shotgun in the 2nd is quite an iconic part of the series.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm really worried this won't do good at the BO. :( It really should, but then again, the audience has changed way too much over the years.

I am incredibly excited for this. It's been fun keeping tabs on the production for the last many years. Last weekend I watched all three films over a day and realized a few things. Firstly, I had only ever seen 2. 2 is easily the best of the lot and holds up superbly well today, especially the action near the end and the general minimalism. But I also discovered, kind of to my surprise, that I really like 1 and 3. 1 has aged a bit more than the sequels, but still holds up and is interesting mainly because of how things change between 1 & 2. That and Toecutter is incredible, Keays-Byrne does such a good job. He has a very immediate and wonderful intensity and prescence. It's phenomenal that he is playing the villain in Fury Road.

Maybe the biggest of my surprises was Beyond the Thunderdome. I'd always known it do be the worst of the bunch but wasn't sure why and didn't have great expectations for it. Low and behold I think 3 is great. Each of the films really is its own thing and I rather liked what 3 was doing. It was weird(er?) and lighter but I liked that. I thought the stuff with the kids was really well done, particularly the language and the sort of historic mythology they'd been teaching each other. Bartertown stuff was solid, the Thunderdome fight and reveal in particular were great. It was just across the board a surprising experience, maybe because I had way lower expectations for 3, I'm not sure, but I enjoyed it.

Fury Road though is looking like it could be one of the greats, the insanity levels cranked to the maximum. Please be next Friday already.

Experien

Just got back from my screening...it was quite the visual spectacle! Pretty crazy and one of the best fight scenes I've seen in awhile.

Simo

I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

Experien

I mean...yeah my first reaction right now is that I fucking loved it! It's like the perfect child of Mad Max 2/Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and before anyone is worried about that last part I'm talking the strong visual identity of that movie and some of the weird shit. lol

Fury Road is just full of weird shit and just completely nuts, intense and outrageous. It kicks off in full gear from beginning to end and never lets up.

I took a friend who had seen bits of pieces of the older movies before watching them fully last year and to sum up his thoughts: He thought Charlize was a bigger bad ass than Max but that Max also totally made the movie and he's right on both points but when Max acts it's with furious force and a big presence on screen. Hardy's Max is also a more "damaged" than Mel's Max too.

My friend said the film was so intense he was sweating throughout the whole thing and the theater was packed with some 320 seats that seemed to be love the film enough where everyone started clapping.

That Doof Warrior with the flaming guitar is one of the more normal people you'll see in the film.

Yeah, people started to clap when it ended. Hopefully we get another one but almost feel like it might be too crazy to bring people in.

ezekial45

Banned
OMG. I can't wait for next week. I actually got an invite to a screening here tonight in SF, but they filled out very quickly. :(

Simo

Yeah, people started to clap when it ended. Hopefully we get another one but almost feel like it might be too crazy to bring people in.

Yeah even I was unprepared for some of the stuff in the movie. Like some of it was so outrageous you couldn't help but laugh. I loved it!

I mean it's a terrific action piece thats serious but there are also times of humor to lighten stuff up.

Simo

How would you rank it among the Mad Max films?

Hard to say with just one viewing. Obviously coming off the high I'd be like Fury Road>>>>>>>>Mad Max 2>>>Thunderdome>>>Mad Max.

Ask me in a couple more weeks after a few more showings! lol There's so much to take in though. There's no exposition to explain the characters or world you just have to piece it together from what you see and little dialog there is when you're thrown in the deep end.

-MD-

Would you recommend watching the original films prior to watching the new one? I'm new to the series and wonder if it's worth having my first experience with "Mad Max" be with Fury Road or if I'll appreciate the new one even more after watching the originals.

Top Bottom