• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Sojgat

It's a shame Avalanche's game isn't out. After leaving the cinema this morning, the first thing I wanted to do was walk straight to a store and buy it.

It will probably launch about the same time this is hitting Blu-ray, right?

immortan_joe_swb_by_kr_whalen-d7t5u1s.jpg

I'm not even home an hour and I'm thinking about when I'll see it again, lol.

Yeah, it's one of the most polished blockbusters I've seen. The editing is so tight. Not a single scene feels too long, every frame feels like it's just right.

It's just so freaking clean. It's like the leanest blockbuster I've ever seen. Nothing is wasted, nothing is left wanting.

I want a sequel so bad, but I wonder how it would go.

It's a shame Avalanche's game isn't out. After leaving the cinema this morning, the first thing I wanted to do was walk straight to a store and buy it.

It will probably launch about the same time this is hitting Blu-ray, right?

The timing is right, yeah. It'd explain why they're going against MGSV.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Early showing is available tonight at the big ass premium auditorium at the cinema downtown.

Coupled with fact it's 3D, that's 18 whole bucks.

I WANT TO FIGHT THE URGE
IS THIS WORTH IT
AAAGGH

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
100+ reviews now and still at 99%. Gods be good.

What?

6NlIxiX.gif

Pretty much everyone says the movie is superb, how can that be? Now I'm more excited then ever to see it, but I'll have to wait until next week before I can watch it.

How is the 3D? I'm not really into it, since basically no movie had it done right (except Avatar and the hobbit with HFR).

Camwi

Early showing is available tonight at the big ass premium auditorium at the cinema downtown.

Coupled with fact it's 3D, that's 18 whole bucks.

I WANT TO FIGHT THE URGE
IS THIS WORTH IT
AAAGGH

Is it worth it? Come on, dude. The only thing stopping me from seeing this film right now is the fact that I won't have a babysitter until next weekend.

Instead, I keep watching the first teaser trailer over and over again.

kris.

Banned
I hate that I told my dad I'd wait til this weekend to see it with him. Then again, this seems like it'll be a really great father/son experience.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea how he tops this. This movie was seemingly made against all odds, and over a decade or so of preproduction. It's just so finely tuned.
If he makes a sequel he'll have to swerve. Make a Thunderdome to Fury Road's Mad Max 2.

duckroll

It's just so freaking clean. It's like the leanest blockbuster I've ever seen. Nothing is wasted, nothing is left wanting.

I want a sequel so bad, but I wonder how it would go.

I don't want a sequel. Miller says this movie took so long to make he came up with a few other story ideas in the duration. I would be happy with just those stories. Not every character needs to return, they can all be stand alone for all I care!

I was really impressed with how tight even the narrative hooks were. There's one particular thing which clicked at the end of the film which really made the entire finale so much more satisfying.

Warning: Real spoilers!

Throughout the first act of the film, they introduce the Citadel as a place with water and greenery available to Joe and the higher clan members. This made for great visuals and it reinforced that they were BAD guys oppressing the masses for power.

At the same time they introduce Max's role into this society as a captured blood bank with a universally compatible blood type. This is a good excuse to get him in a tight spot and force him into the events of the film without it being his quest.

But at the end of the film, when Max proposes the plan to return and take the Citadel, it all clicks that this is the place that could replace the home they need. Yet there wasn't a single line of dialogue in the film used as exposition to detail why this is so. It was simply part of the organic world building in the first Act. The only places you see plants growing are in the overhead camera shots of the Citadel and when Joe walks through a greenhouse area when he's gathering everyone for war. But those scenes stick in your head and it just connects automatically when Max says they need to go back. So fucking perfect.

And when Max saves Furiosa with the transfusion at the end, again it is something which doesn't come as a surprise or twist when it happens because the audience has been familiarized with the idea of ad-hoc blood transfusions in this brutal world, and it is something Max has just recently experienced himself, plus, we know he'll be compatible because he's a universal donor. Again the show didn't need to say any of these things, since it has already shown it.

These aren't complex or deep plot elements, but they're simple moments which could have been handled in clumsier ways, but were weaved into the fabric of the narrative seamlessly instead.

George Miller is 70 years old, but he directed this with a passion, style and energy that other directors less than half his age only wish they were able to achieve. It really is a credit to him.

Yet there wasn't a single line of dialogue in the film used as exposition to detail why this is so. It was simply part of the organic world building in the first Act.

Yes! That was something so refreshing to see in an action movie. Such a departure from the usual modern formula.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I found Nux's arc really affecting.
He gets to die historic on the Fury Road, but learns to devote his life to someone he cares about and has a real connection with, instead of an idol who would exploit him.

bengraven

I think what's most interesting about Fury Road is that it doesn't really try to be anything like classic action films. It deserves a place among them -because- it offers something so refreshing AND well executed. It doesn't feel like it's aping the "good old days" or whatever, other than the scale of practical effects and stunning scope of set pieces. It's honestly something never seen before on this scale in terms of a chase film.

So basically George Miller reinvented what George Miller once reinvented?

I'm okay with that!

Sojgat

I don't want a sequel. Miller says this movie took so long to make he came up with a few other story ideas in the duration. I would be happy with just those stories. Not every character needs to return, they can all be stand alone for all I care!

I was really impressed with how tight even the narrative hooks were. There's one particular thing which clicked at the end of the film which really made the entire finale so much more satisfying.

Throughout the first act of the film, they introduce the Citadel as a place with water and greenery available to Joe and the higher clan members. This made for great visuals and it reinforced that they were BAD guys oppressing the masses for power.

At the same time they introduce Max's role into this society as a captured blood bank with a universally compatible blood type. This is a good excuse to get him in a tight spot and force him into the events of the film without it being his quest.

But at the end of the film, when Max proposes the plan to return and take the Citadel, it all clicks that this is the place that could replace the home they need. Yet there wasn't a single line of dialogue in the film used as exposition to detail why this is so. It was simply part of the organic world building in the first Act. The only places you see plants growing are in the overhead camera shots of the Citadel and when Joe walks through a greenhouse area when he's gathering everyone for war. But those scenes stick in your head and it just connects automatically when Max says they need to go back. So fucking perfect.

And when Max saves Furiosa with the transfusion at the end, again it is something which doesn't come as a surprise or twist when it happens because the audience has been familiarized with the idea of ad-hoc blood transfusions in this brutal world, and it is something Max has just recently experienced himself, plus, we know he'll be compatible because he's a universal donor. Again the show didn't need to say any of these things, since it has already shown it.

These aren't complex or deep plot elements, but they're simple moments which could have been handled in clumsier ways, but were weaved into the fabric of the narrative seamlessly instead.

I loved that he
kept the tubing. He wears it prominently. I always wondered what it was in all the promotional shots. I originally thought maybe it was paracord or something, but he was already wearing a survival strap.
Such a cool little detail.

Good post. In the Q&A, Miller said he wanted to portray a society/civilization that had basically reduced everyone to a commodity--"what can you provide me?" The most extreme example of a commodity: your own physical body/being.

It was especially tragic and telling when
Splendid dies/is dying. It ALMOST sounds like Immortan Joe and his crew are sad at having lost HER--but of course, she is just a vessel for his child.

It also makes that
final act by Max
that much more poignant, as he is using
himself, essentially, as a commodity,
but it comes from a very different place.

If he makes a sequel he'll have to swerve. Make a Thunderdome to Fury Road's Mad Max 2.

I'd be on board for that so bad. It's so set up. Let's go go go

I'd love a side story too, but I would love a direct sequel.

And the narrative hook that you're talking about was so simple. When that moment came up, I thought that was dumb..until I realized that it made absolutely perfect sense. And then -I- felt dumb for not thinking of that. So smart.

I found Nux's arc really affecting.

I loved Nux in this. Hoult fucking nailed it so bad. He's like the secret weapon of the movie.

kitzkozan

Yes! That was something so refreshing to see in an action movie. Such a departure from the usual modern formula.

This expose why the Marvel movies are just okay, even those which Marvel fans see as "great". They simply can't get away from having to use heavy handed exposition and typical Hollywood style transparent editing / pacing. Marvel / Disney is too rigid and the directors which they employ are decent at best, but it is what it is. :p

joesmokey

So many great things said about the movie already.

I think one of my favorite aspects is that everyone has a chance to be a bad ass. It is believable that these characters have been tough enough to survive in the wasteland this long.

While Charlize Theron certainly shines brightest, Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron are outstanding as a duo.

duckroll

Yeah, Hoult really shined in the film. I was pretty surprised because at first I thought Nux was sort of a gag character. It certainly says something about the quality of the film that by the end I actually felt bad about thinking "lol what a loser" earlier in the film.

Yeah, Hoult really shined in the film. I was pretty surprised because at first I thought Nux was sort of a gag character. It certainly says something about the quality of the film that by the end I actually felt bad about thinking "lol what a loser" earlier in the film.

Exactly! Everybody's got arcs, even the dude who most picked as the gag character with the one good line. Miller basically took a simple concept, kept that, and then fleshed out -everything- surrounding it.

Seems like this is one of the few examples of "returning to the well" actually working. It seems like everytime a filmmaker returns to their classic series after years and years have passed it always goes wrong. The Godfather Part 3, Indiana Jones 4, The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, etc. Happy to see George Miller still has the passion for this world in him that he did years and years ago.

Busty

Banned
George Miller is 70 years old, but he directed this with a passion, style and energy that other directors less than half his age only wish they were able to achieve. It really is a credit to him.

I agree wholeheartedly and his skills and passion at this age just puts older directors who have been sleep walking through their films for years (Ridley Scott I am looking at you) to absolute shame.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Still haven't seen the movie yet (come on Saturday!), but from the way this movie is being loved, I really hope it helps inspires a new generation of directors/cinematographers because having more movies like this would definitely be a good thing. Also, props to Warner Brothers for taking the risk and dishing out $150 million for an R-rated movie. It took balls, just like the risk they took with LOTR.

Still haven't seen the movie yet (come on Saturday!), but from the way this movie is being loved, I really hope it helps inspires a new generation of directors/cinematographers because having more movies like this would definitely be a good thing. Also, props to Warner Brothers for taking the risk and dishing out $150 million for an R-rated movie. It took balls, just like the risk they took with LOTR.

That was all Bob Shaye's call at New Line though. But yeah, props to Warners here.

It took balls, just like the risk they took with LOTR.

I think New Line was still mostly independent. They had to secure their own budgets even though they were part of the Time/Warner family by then. New Line didn't get fully absorbed into WB until 2008.

But that's not to say WB doesn't take expensive risks on filmmakers. Your point is still correct. They're well known for doing it, actually. Sometimes they eat shit on it, but sometimes really good work comes out of it.

Won

What a movie. There was an audible gasp for air in the audience after the first major action set piece ended. Intense stuff.

I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the trailers, like how could anything actual live up to that. But nope, Miller delivers. Amazing from beginning to the end.

But that's not to say WB doesn't take expensive risks on filmmakers. Your point is still correct. They're well known for doing it, actually. Sometimes they eat shit on it, but sometimes really good work comes out of it.

I love that they do this. They absolutely eat shit on some of them or don't make a huge profit, but the movies they make are just infinitely more watchable to me. They're my go to for movies to buy, actually.

What a movie. There was an audible gasp for air in the audience after the first major action set piece ended. Intense stuff.

I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the trailers, like how could anything actual live up to that. But nope, Miller delivers. Amazing from beginning to the end.

yeah one guy clapped there. Audience was shook.

I would like to know this too

The director didn't make it with 3D in mind, and suggests you watch it in 2D

Most people have said it's just kinda there, and doesn't improve the film any.

One poster here liked it.

Also:

You don't have to have watched any of the previous movies to enjoy this one, and everything you need to know about the character is explained in this movie, so you won't be lost or feel like you need to catch up.

Top Bottom