• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Dominator

I'm sitting in the theater and there's a visible black streak on the screen. It's not the picture it's an actual tear. Dammit I'm not watching it like that. I'll wait to see if the curtains pull over it cause it's close to the bottom but I'm gonna be pissed if they just leave their screen like that.

Majmun

Watched this tonight with a few friends and we were all floored by it. We couldn't stop talking about it after we came back to my house. It was brilliant. Non-stop action and it looked amazing.

And Charlize was the star of the movie.

Haines

Banned
Kind of disappointed all my local viewings are 3d. Maybe I will enjoy it but I'm getting tired of what is basically a cash grab at this point.

Opiate

o_O I have never seen a movie score that high...

Don't just look at the total -- look at the some of the actual review quotes. Multiple reviewers are referring to this as the best action movie of the decade and, in a few cases, the best action movie ever.

I'm not a huge believer in metacritic/rotten tomatoes, but I do think it works reasonably well at the extremes. The difference between a 99 and a 95 is not significant; a difference between a 99 and a 60 is. Further, the actual reviews help guide me, instead of just looking at a score.

Me while watching the movie:

TkBYHCH.jpg

marrec

Banned
I got my tickets lined up in the VIP section at my theater.

My buddy is coming with me. We will have a beer while watching this.

SpacLock

So I just got back from the 7:30pm EST showing here at the Alamo in Michigan...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

This movie seriously redefines the action genre.

10/10

Masterpiece.

Round of applause at the end.

Simo

My buddies all want to go Saturday since it's the only free time they've all got so I'll be waiting until then. What better than to hit the steak house, drink a few brews and then get lost in the wasteland again!

So I just got back from the 7:30pm EST showing here at the Alamo in Michigan...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

This movie seriously redefines the action genre.

10/10

Masterpiece.

Round of applause at the end.

Nice! How is the Alamo in Kalamazoo? I'm near Ann Arbor and always wanted to try a Drafthouse.

My buddies all want to go Saturday since it's the only free time they've all got so I'll be waiting until then. What better than to hit the steak house, drink a few brews and then get lost in the wasteland again!

throw the 'witness me' war boy gang signs out the window on your way there lol.

farisr

Man, it'll be a real shame if this movie doesn't do well at the box office, and I have a feeling it won't. Hoping I'm dead wrong though.

kswiston

Awwww, shit.

Foreign studios are allowed to cumulatively release 34 films a year in China on a profit sharing basis (other films can be sold for distribution to Chinese companies for a flat rate). I don't know how those slots are divvied up. So far, WB has released Jupiter Ascending and will release San Andreas in China this year. I imagine that Pan will also be released there.

SpacLock

Nice! How is the Alamo in Kalamazoo? I'm near Ann Arbor and always wanted to try a Drafthouse.

It's really nice! Great screens and service. Not to mention they're extremely anal about talking and cell phone lights. They'll kick you to the curb if they see it.

They also played old B movie trailers and had a special message from George Miller before the movie that was pretty hilarious.

Mr. RHC

Amazing action cinema for sure! I was pretty impressed with most of the scenes.
Many scenes just left me: "Woah.. Woah Woah Woah Woah.WOAH!"

Quite a few unexpected settings and stagings of various characters, I really enjoyed that.

Fresh/10

Foreign studios are allowed to cumulatively release 34 films a year in China on a profit sharing basis (other films can be sold for distribution to Chinese companies for a flat rate). I don't know how those slots are divvied up. So far, WB has released Jupiter Ascending and will release San Andreas in China this year. I imagine that Pan will also be released there.

GODDAMNIT JUPITER ASCENDING WILL BE THE DEATH OF US ALL

kitzkozan

Gravity wasn't a box office hit?!

700 million isn't a box office smash hit, but a hit. :p That movie was really helped by 3D showing as well. That's a best case scenario for Mad Max fury road imo, but I'm guessing WB is expecting ~400-500 million worldwide (which is still a profit). ~500 million would put it on par with the latest Godzilla movie which is getting sequels, so I'm guessing this would be a nice spot? ~700 million = Gravity, Dawn of the planet of the ape, MCU movies such as Captain america 2, Thor 2.

Simo

It's really nice! Great screens and service. Not to mention they're extremely anal about talking and cell phone lights. They'll kick you to the curb if they see it.

They also played old B movie trailers and had a special message from George Miller before the movie that was pretty hilarious.

Awesome! I'll have to try it out, the only downside is it's about an hour or more drive.

700 million isn't a box office smash hit, but a hit. :p That movie was really helped by 3D showing as well. That's a best case scenario for Mad Max fury road imo, but I'm guessing WB is expecting ~400-500 million worldwide (which is still a profit). ~500 million would put it on par with the latest Godzilla movie which is getting sequels, so I'm guessing this would be a nice spot? ~700 million = Gravity, Dawn of the planet of the ape, MCU movies such as Captain america 2, Thor 2.

What the fuck, it was absolutely a smash hit.

Someone else handle this dammit

Pickman

Just finished it up in theaters.

After every massive action sequence I found myself letting out a long, slow breath. This movie seriously gets you amped and into it.

Absolutely a positive cinematic experience, and a really fun piece of cinema. Great action movie.

Have to disagree with people calling it something revolutionary or the best action film of the last decade. It was fun and worth seeing in theaters, but it wasn't some masterstroke bringing about an action cinema renaissance like some people are implying.

Speevy

Banned
Just watched it.

Insanely exciting. I don't think I've ever seen a movie pack so much action, and yet, I worried about the characters. It all felt very consequential to me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That was a crazy movie. Very intense and the action was amazing. Didnt quite love it to death like the crazy reviews would have you believe, mostly just cause i actually felt at times the story hurt it a little. But yeah this movie was about as perfect a sequel you could have made for the Road Warrior. They knew what badass shit to put in it. I imagine if you were a diehard mad max fan this is about the best movie you could have wished for.

Big Dog

I think I'll watch the one at my theater in 2 hours

Shouldn't be sold out, right?

Sure as hell wasn't sold out where I'm at. There were about 30 people in the theater. I even showed up extra early to make sure that I would get a ticket. Ended up being the 5th person to get a ticket.

kswiston

What the fuck, it was absolutely a smash hit.

Someone else handle this dammit

Well, he's comparing it to films that cost $175-200M to produce. Gravity cost $100M to produce. It would have been a success at ~$300M worldwide. Godzilla or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, not so much.

Just finished it up in theaters.

After every massive action sequence I found myself letting out a long, slow breath. This movie seriously gets you amped and into it.

Absolutely a positive cinematic experience, and a really fun piece of cinema. Great action movie.

Have to disagree with people calling it something revolutionary or the best action film of the last decade. It was fun and worth seeing in theaters, but it wasn't some masterstroke bringing about an action cinema renaissance like some people are implying.
I think the renaissance is in the crazy reliance in stuntwork and practical effects in a era that overuses CGI (ie Public Enemy)

marrec

Banned
Sure as hell wasn't sold out where I'm at. There were about 30 people in the theater. I even showed up extra early to make sure that I would get a ticket. Ended up being the 5th person to get a ticket.
It is basically sold out at my theater for the super late showing.

Speevy

Banned
I couldn't keep all the old women straight in my head. One would get shot and then there would be another one still going.

ryan299

Only 5 people in my theater. lol. Only thing I didn't like was the sound mix in certain parts. I really wanted the guitar guy to be heard more.

knkng

Was gonna go this weekend but decided what the hell and went to see it tonight. Amazing movie, so much fun.

Unfortunately, it seemed like 90% of the people in my theater hated it. They were yawning, groaning, checking their phones, etc. I fear this movie will not do well with general audiences.

noomi

Loved it, but had the immersion ruined by 4 people sitting behind me who couldn't shut the fuck up even after I asked them to be quiet.

Constantly talking, not even trying to whisper... just plain out talking. And this one black dude who kept going "DAAAAAAAAMN" & "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT"

God damnit, this is why I tend to stay away from theaters, people fucking suck.

This movie was fucking incredible. Easily one of if not the best action movie I've ever seen.

I loved the guitar guy, lost my shit every time I saw him

Was gonna go this weekend but decided what the hell and went to see it tonight. Amazing movie, so much fun.

Unfortunately, it seemed like 90% of the people in my theater hated it. They were yawning, groaning, checking their phones, etc. I fear this movie will not do well with general audiences.
Horrible people!

I need some time to compose my thoughts for a full review, but here is the short version:

FUCK. MY. ASS.
That was a glorious masterpiece. I need to go see it a few more times and look at it a bit more objectively, but my god was that first experience amazing.

Now, off to get my mind back and write up some more details.

Top Bottom