• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

void666

Banned
Just came back from the theater. Movie is amazing. Flawless. There's nothing i didn't like about it.

But in my head, if i translate my excitement in numbers, the number is 8.5.

kswiston

There is no universe we currently know of where Avengers 2: Age of Ultron can be considered a flop.

That shit is ridiculous.

New rules state that only films that break $1B worldwide in 19 or less days are successful. Age of Ultron will take 21-22 days to hit that mark and is therefore in flop territory. Whedon will never work again.

Couldn't wait till tomorrow to see it with friends.

Got tickets for it in an hour to watch with my little brother. Was going to watch it twice this weekend anyway I expect.

Ezalc

Just got back from seeing it. Great action, amazing cinematography, best part is no shaky cam. Really enjoyed the characters in it. My only complaint would be
That Hardy's Max is kind of awkward. The way they tried to limit his dialog and the way that Hardy portrayed it was weird. At times it's like he REALLY wants to talk but he's not allowed to. Makes the way he just expresses himself kind of as I said before, awkward. Still enjoyed him as Max for the most part though.

Just to make sure, there is no after credits scene or something correct? Hope this movie hasn't jumped on some trend Marvel started.

-griffy-

Banned
Qh2wITz.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Really enjoyed it. I hope to post more elaborate impressions soon, but it's a great action film. Cinematography is impressive and even though there's a lot going on in the big action scenes, it's still easy to follow. This movie begs for a rewatch, have to see it again soon.

I did expect a bigger finale than what we got though, the
ending came waaay sooner than I expected
Movie's about 2 hours but to me it felt like we just passed the 1h mark.

had to realize by going on imdb that the warboy rolling with nux (with the joker scars) was young stryker in dofp. damn...him and hoult felt almost unrecognizable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh and
the guitar hero
is the real star of this movie

Just to make sure, there is no after credits scene or something correct? Hope this movie hasn't jumped on some trend Marvel started.

No.

kitzkozan

Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

It's been a long time since I've been so genuinely impressed by an action film, I think the last one I genuinely loved was Dredd or The Raid 2 and they were on much smaller budgets. George Miller and his team are mental genius' and I honestly can't believe they got such a large budget to make a wonderful chase film filled with crazy characters.

I do agree that it wasn't deep or exactly thought provoking but it raced along at a brisk ol pace, kept me thoroughly engaged and a lot of the set pieces/stunts I thought were genuine 'fuck me!' moments they were so exciting and well done. It's been a while since I've watched all the Mad Max films but after the first, in 2 and 3, wasn't Max very much a bystander/part of the action in those as well ? It honestly didn't feel like he had any less/more to do than some of the other Mad Max films but I might be misremembering, really need to watch them all again.

I really must give a big clap though to the actual action filming. It's some of the most stunningly filmed action I've seen in a big budget film in a long time. Every action clear to see, no shakeycam, easy to see who's coming and going, who's entering and leaving the frame etc. It's one of the 'clearest' action films I've seen in recent years and fucking hell I can only applaud them for that. Made it an absolute joy to watch. if you have any interest in action filmmaking you owe it to yourself to see this on the big screen. It's just fucking stunning.

It's so good to see them hit it out of the park after so many years trying to get it made. It's put me in the mood to watch the first three this weekend and then go see it again next week :lol: I really want that Mad Max game now too!

The emphasis on actions, visual cues to tell it's story and world building in addition with a lack of verbal exposition is ultimately why it cannot be a big box-office hit. I can envision a success about on par with Gravity (~700 million worldwide and a 55 million opening weekend in NA) at best which would be beyond expectations since few people initially gave a shit about this one.

We can criticize Marvel studios and the constant use of verbal exposition and typical Hollywood style montage, but it's been proven over decades that it work with the masses. Once you abandon most of those tropes, you enter a very risky zone in terms of audience reception and that's why "auteur" cinema with bid budget is so rare. Heck, the language barrier alone is huge for 95% + of the NA audience who won't watch a movie with subtitles (hence numerous remake of critically acclaimed international movies).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
One of the best things of the movie, me and my mate howled with laughter everytime that happened and in the best possible way.

Same here, my friend and me just loved every second he was on screen. I'm sure it'll always be the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this movie, just incredible.

Interested in what the demographic for Mad Max ends up being, if it might get more women or the usual ratio. Maybe they should have played up the female empowerment angle in marketing.

I do wonder if the recent little flare-up regarding the Men's Rights shitbirds filling their fedoras has convinced a few people who otherwise might not have checked out the film to maybe give it a shot before it leaves theaters.

kswiston

Gravity is the DEFINITION of a massive box office smash. If Mad Max somehow hits that, then we're clearly getting sequels.

I put Mad Max at probably 350-400 mil worldwide.

Fury Road might not release in China, which always makes getting high numbers overseas harder.

If we look at Kingsman, Pacific Rim, and Edge of Tomorrow (which were all around your range), China accounted for $75M, $112M, and $66M of the gross respectively.

Simo

Just got back from seeing it. Great action, amazing cinematography, best part is no shaky cam. Really enjoyed the characters in it. My only complaint would be
That Hardy's Max is kind of awkward. The way they tried to limit his dialog and the way that Hardy portrayed it was weird. At times it's like he REALLY wants to talk but he's not allowed to. Makes the way he just expresses himself kind of as I said before, awkward. Still enjoyed him as Max for the most part though.

Well Hardy's Max has been isolated and alone for so long that he hasn't spoken or heard his own voice in years. lol

Any good wallpapers?

THe hype is reaching critical levels

Here's a Flickr account with all the PR stills in maximum resolution

Fury Road might not release in China, which always makes getting high numbers overseas harder.

If we look at Kingsman, Pacific Rim, and Edge of Tomorrow (which were all around your range), China accounted for $75M, $112M, and $66M of the gross respectively.

Oh crap. China Don't Care...about Fury Road D:

I wonder how much this needs to make for WB to let George Miller do Mad Max 5. It cost 200 mil after all.

If WB can give the Wachowskis 200 million budget after Speed Racer flopped then they must give the gawd carte blanche. I need more of his insanity right now. Aside from Star Wars (trailer looked good and nostalgia) the landscape of blockbusters is looking....so underwhelming. Miller injected this film with that 80s/early 90s action movie energy I've been clamoring for

WB never submitted the movie to censors. Maybe it will get a late release in a few months, but as of now, it is not on the release schedule at all.

Alright, America. It's time for us to pick up the slack if you want more Mad Max!*

*Or just enjoy this one because it's fucking incredible

Blader

If WB can give the Wachowskis 200 million budget after Speed Racer flopped then they must give the gawd carte blanche. I need more of his insanity right now. Aside from Star Wars (trailer looked good and nostalgia) the landscape of blockbusters is looking....so underwhelming. Miller injected this film with that 80s/early 90s action movie energy I've been clamoring for

Not the same thing, but Man from UNCLE looks like it could be a lot of fun... maybe I'm in the minority, but I really liked both of Ritchie's Sherlock movies, plus Lock Stock and Snatch of course.

That reminds me I still need to check out Rocknrolla.

Man from UNCLE definitely looks enjoyable. I'm prolly gonna show out for that this summer and maybe mission impossible if the reviews are good. The rest.....lol.

Loved it loved it loved it. Jesus christ. Just bought a ticket for the next 3d showing so I can compare. Had a big shit eating grin almost the entire way through.

daveo42

Banned
Just got out of the theater and whew...that was intense, insane, and all-around amazing. Beautifully shot and the right kinds of crazy that kept me hooked start to finish. Glad I had a chance to see it tonight and in theater.

Pachimari

Wooahhh!!! Wait wait wait, I didn't know that I watched this movie on the premiere. Wow. That's why all of these impressions are flooding in at once.

Also, I have to see the movie again. It's incredibly thrilling and sometimes makes you sit at the edge of your seat. I have never felt so "exhausted" and shaken after watching a movie, but this one did it.

To me, it looked so incredibly boring in the trailers and I didn't like all of those crazy goobs, but I watched the movie I fully believed the world, and then we have Nux and his arc!

Are we getting a sequel?

It says a lot about George Miller's priority on visual design (the story is in the details in this film, he did a great job with the world-building) and setpiece filmmaking on this film when he stated that he had the whole movie storyboarded before he even wrote the script.

Top Bottom