• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Movie was very, very, very good.
But again, it didn't live up to 99% RT and 9/10 average score. I would say it's a solid 8 - 8.5.
I liked it a bit less than i wanted to. On the one hand it's good, when a movie gets such good reception, but on the other, hype just goes so high that a movie, no matter how good it is, will never reach that.
But it might be just my problem.
Anyway, everyone should go see this.

This movie is every heavy metal album cover come to life.

And those epic hand painted movie posters that would fire up your imagination when you were a child, but then the actual movie would be nothing like it.

This movie is what you imagined when you saw those images.

METAL AS FUCK.

It definitely reminded me of the kind of insane, over the top action sequences that I'd play out in my mind's eye as child when in a hyperactive mood after watching an exciting movie or cartoon. My 11 year old self would have lost his fucking mind watching this.

Dominator

lol their loss...go see it solo if you have to
Oh I'm still going tonight, doesn't matter to me. I go to the movies by myself all the time but they are killing me with the letdown talk.

I hate to pull this card, but have you pointed them to Rotten Tomatoes? It's a pretty easy way to convince your "average" movie goer.

I've been spreading the gospel. Talking to coworkers, friends, family, gym buddies.

What's crazy to me is that people even need convincing. Trailer #2 is pretty fucking good--maybe not top tier, but definitely up there for me. Boggles my mind how anyone could see that and think it looks awful.

Clearly I'm right.

ibvUwtQk0pkOJ4.gif
The first thing I showed them was the Rotten Tomatoes percentage. They say "RT means nothing I don't trust it" and I just shake my head. I bet after I get back and sing its praises they won't even believe me. Oh well lol I'm having fun tonight with or without them.

The first thing I showed them was the Rotten Tomatoes percentage. They say "RT means nothing I don't trust it" and I just shake my head. I bet after I get back and sing its praises they won't even believe me. Oh well lol I'm having fun tonight with or without them.

Yeah you are better off going without them, sounds like they actively want to dislike it.

Sojgat

Oh I'm still going tonight, doesn't matter to me. I go to the movies by myself all the time but they are killing me with the letdown talk.

The movie is awesome, and they should go see it, but your friends actually sound like pretty smart people.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Guys, what's the track from the Official Main Trailer that came out a month back or so? Specifically the second half of it? I know the first half is Brother in Arms.

Reynx

Just came back from an IMAX viewing. HOLY CHRIST! What an incredible ride.
The pacing, the cinematography the colors, the action - everything was amazing! I was surprised at how a great a story they told with such little dialog.

The one thing that really stood out to me was the music. It was used so well to build tension and really give the action a punch. I think I was holding my breath for 30 minutes at a time. Gonna be hard to sleep tonight with my heart still racing!

-griffy-

Banned
Guys, what's the track from the Official Main Trailer that came out a month back or so? Specifically the second half of it? I know the first half is Brother in Arms.
I've discovered that it is apparently a cover of the Radiohead song Street Spirit by the group Superhuman, per their Facebook page here. Note that the original song sounds VASTLY different to the cover, and the cover isn't publicly available, though there's a chance Superhuman may post it on their Facebook page as it looks like they've done so with other tracks used in trailers.

So I just watched Beyond Thunderdome and the kid painted white and black reminded me of a lot of people from the trailers for Fury Road. Spoiler-free: is that a connection or no?

Come on down, Mick LaSalle of the SF Gate!

Yet all this wit and effort and occasional beauty is in the service of a movie that is little more than a two-hour chase scene, one that seems founded on the assumption that if you show one set of people chasing another, that’s enough to get an audience excited: Oh, no, let’s hope they don’t get caught!

As Furiosa, Charlize Theron is much better, investing sincere, raw emotion into portraying a woman who started life happy and was captured and abused. Yet in a way, the quality of Theron’s performance almost makes matters worse, making the rest of the barren emotional landscape stand out in sharper relief, as when she walks into the sand, drops to her knees and screams in anguish. She can scream all she likes, but she can’t scream her way into a better film. Tom Hardy strikes the right balance. He’s a capable actor, but he knows the movie he’s in.

Still, for what it is, “Mad Max: Fury Road” isn’t bad, two hours of action scenes that are well crafted and entirely lacking in suspense, and with some clever but fake-looking special effects. There’s a shot in this film that perfectly embodies where action movies are these days: The big screen might as well be a computer screen, with nothing real or real-looking on it, and yet over the soundtrack come the horns. You know those horns, the ones heard in all action movies. The sincere horns of truth. The horns of ultimate triumph. The horns that say, “Something grand and important is happening.”

But it’s not. Really, it’s just not.

At least Mr. LaSalle actually bothered to explain his critique, which is more than the only other rotten did.

Still, what they seem to have in common is that they find the film lacking in story. Although his complaint that nothing looks real is... odd. Considering. But maybe the oversaturation really fucked with him or something.

a916

The hype might be real folks... the one person who gave it a rotten rating 36 reviews in has been buried under 114 fresh reviews.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I never thought that the second Avengers would flop and that I'd be more excited for Mad Max than anything else so far this year, but here we are.... I did NOT expect such stellar reviews tbqh.

Was gonna see this eventually for Charlize and Tom Hardy, but this is now opening weekend for me.

That second review is what it is. He went in with preconceived notions and the movie didn't sway him, no big deal. Critics have preferences, that's the way it goes.

Some of his critiques give me significant pause, though.

F!ReW!Re

Come on down, Mick LaSalle of the SF Gate!

At least Mr. LaSalle actually bothered to explain his critique, which is more than the only other rotten did.

Still, what they seem to have in common is that they find the film lacking in story. Although his complaint that nothing looks real is... odd. Considering. But maybe the oversaturation really fucked with him or something.

It's funny that in a movie made which such attention to detail and mostly relying on practical effects, this dudes singles out 1 scene which apparantly uses obvious CGI and complains about it.....

I never thought that the second Avengers would flop and that I'd be more excited for Mad Max than anything else so far this year, but here we are.... I did NOT expect such stellar reviews tbqh.

Was gonna see this eventually for Charlize and Tom Hardy, but this is now opening weekend for me.

Flop, lol. I hate the hyperbole that goes along with movies and video games.

Caode

It's a very rare thing that when I leave a cinema and I really think about what I've just seen that I really appreciate a film more.

A recent example is Age of Ultron, I thought it was decent at the time, the more I thought about it though the more I began to pick it apart. It completely crumbled for me on a second viewing.

The more I think back on what I seen today I just can't help but realise just how well this film came together. It's a perfect action film.

I'll post my full thoughts later when I've had more time to process everything and compose it all comprehensibly.

Caode

flop? what?

Didn't live up to expectations, sure. Flop? Not a chance. Shot at being the biggest film of the year, and at least critically, it was well received.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Brilliant, utterly brilliant.

It's been a long time since I've been so genuinely impressed by an action film, I think the last one I genuinely loved was Dredd or The Raid 2 and they were on much smaller budgets. George Miller and his team are mental genius' and I honestly can't believe they got such a large budget to make a wonderful chase film filled with crazy characters.

I do agree that it wasn't deep or exactly thought provoking but it raced along at a brisk ol pace, kept me thoroughly engaged and a lot of the set pieces/stunts I thought were genuine 'fuck me!' moments they were so exciting and well done. It's been a while since I've watched all the Mad Max films but after the first, in 2 and 3, wasn't Max very much a bystander/part of the action in those as well ? It honestly didn't feel like he had any less/more to do than some of the other Mad Max films but I might be misremembering, really need to watch them all again.

I really must give a big clap though to the actual action filming. It's some of the most stunningly filmed action I've seen in a big budget film in a long time. Every action clear to see, no shakeycam, easy to see who's coming and going, who's entering and leaving the frame etc. It's one of the 'clearest' action films I've seen in recent years and fucking hell I can only applaud them for that. Made it an absolute joy to watch. if you have any interest in action filmmaking you owe it to yourself to see this on the big screen. It's just fucking stunning.

It's so good to see them hit it out of the park after so many years trying to get it made. It's put me in the mood to watch the first three this weekend and then go see it again next week :lol: I really want that Mad Max game now too!

inm8num2

Hm, so Mick LaSalle declared war on GAF. :p

I expect a couple more negative reviews to trickle in, but I'm still blown away by the critical reception. It's not just that there are >90% positive reviews. It's how gushing those reviews actually are.

Top Bottom