• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

I was looking for a Madden 15 OT last week, just figured no one cared, lol. I read some mostly positive reviews and watched a few streams but I'm ready to play it myself. Gonna check out the comparison pics with last year and latest info in the meantime.

Edit: I thought Madden 25 was above average, but my team was terrible IRL so I had a hard time playing it.

j-wood

They had a $25 trade in credit for Madden 25 last week, you also got a $10 coupon off Madden 15 when you traded Madden 25 in.

I picked up Madden 25 for around $10 and traded it in to Best Buy for $35. So since I have GCU I get Madden 15 for $48 + $10 best buy gc.

So Im paying $13(+$10 I payed for 25) for the game and a $10 gift cert,

What! Is this deal still going on?

Still animates like garbage. Yuck.

.....and we're going to do that thing where we pretend the game has actually gotten better only to find out it's even worse after owning it for a couple weeks.

RP912

Banned
C'mon guys, Madden 25 isn't that bad.

Forreal.... probably one of the best maddens next to 04 imo. This year looks promising but I'm not pulling the trigger until I go full next gen.

Until then I'll ride out madden 25 and 2k5 for my dosage of foosball.

I've been playing on the PS4 Since Thursday as the quote in the OP stated. I haven't been pleased with Madden Since the 2005 version. Madden 15 is a very good product with some quirks but no game breaking annoying glitches or bugs.

Mario Running needs to be addressed big time. There is no excuse for not having a get skinny animation.

Still need to fix the smoothes with running as a whole, doesn't look as janky as in the past.

Tackling is better, but it is the pile up falling like ragdolls that look awkward and when a runner falls on a pile sometimes he gets bumped forward granting him more yards. It pisses you off when he gets a 1st down as a result.

Still need auto Sub package, I don't know how or why they got rid of this feature.

Overall, this game has improved in all areas presentation, graphics, AI, playbooks, and teaching the fundamentals.

And my little pet project

My Time Practicing the Screen Play and these are my findings. Can someone who has the game practice the screenplay.

The Screen Play is severely artificially hamstrung. I've been testing the screen play in practice mode all types of screens(playing as Steelers All Pro Game Speed: Slow) and I have found that the Programmers have programmed the QB to stride in quicksand. If you start the screen under center they will allow you the natural stride the first 3 steps after that the QB enters quicksand mode slowing him down so much so and they speed up the DLineman making the screen play from under center virtually impossible.

The same can be said about the screenplay from the shotgun. Even though you start with separation you enter quicksand mode on your first step but you still can to a lessor degree make the throw.

I have found in order to make the screenplay somewhat successful is you have to hit the R2 Sprint button which makes your QB turns his back to the Lind of Scrimage(LOS) which is unrealistic to make the throw.

Go to practice mode and try it for yourself. When I get home I'm going to change the game speed to normal and see if that makes a difference.

I'm playing on the PS4.

Has anyone with ea access simmed through a few seasons to find out whether the randomly generated draft classes are balanced or whether they're a joke?

Since I'm out of the loop on the game modes since I haven't played one since 2k5, is there an offline franchise mode still? All I ever hear about is connected franchise and I could care less about online in a madden game.
Connected Franchise is offline and online.

eOvkE0J.jpg

Inaccurate Russell Wilson skin tone confirmed.

No doubt the presentation has a ways to go before its on 2K's level. I've played online only but I'm wondering if Pittsburgh has the Terrible Towels or Cleveland with the Pound etc. But the gameplay has improved and defense feels effective without having to defensive hot routing and shifting players all over the place.
And I agree 2K5 is a classic (still hate the defensive secondary AI) but Madden 05 and 2K4 were no slouches either.

Spades

One thing that's bugged me in Madden since forever is punts - they always bounce and run straight into the end zone. Elite punters should be able to add backspin like they do in real life so you've actually got a chance of landing a punt inside the 10 without just kicking it out of bounds.

Heres my question.

I really really like the idea of madden ultimate team.

Can my friend and i play our ultimate teams against eachother? Either in game or online?

Or start a season with just my friends, no randos?

One thing that's bugged me in Madden since forever is punts - they always bounce and run straight into the end zone. Elite punters should be able to add backspin like they do in real life so you've actually got a chance of landing a punt inside the 10 without just kicking it out of bounds.

Was thinking this when I was doing the punt challenge..

I was prepared to buy Madden this year, thinking this would be the year we see a real next gen version. Now I see the same mostly dead sidelines and stadium (field goal net is raised by invisible people for the 26th year in a row), and poor animations.

When EA delivers a game that actually looks like it's taking advantage of the new consoles, I'll buy it.

Xbox one to both. I just rememebr how much better madden 25 was on PS4 last year. It wasn't even close .

What was better on PS4? I thought they were identical.

Can someone tell me about the game modes? I don't need a lot of details, just a basic list.

- "Play Now" which is a standard vs match
- "CCM" Connected Career Mode, which is an either online or offline career mode. You can be either a player, coach, or GM, and the mode changes dpeending on what you pick. Player, you play only that player and in plays relevant to that player. Coach is pretty much a standard Franchise like mode, and GM is like Coach but you also can control ticket prices, concessions, moving the team, etc.
- Skills Trainer, which is a ton of minigames, but alsoa primer on football concepts. It's actually pretty robust this year, and they added a new competative high score portion of this called The Gauntlet.
- Practice, standard practice mode
- Madden Ultimate Team, which is a trading card game where you put together a "fantasy" team using trading cards that you buy with in game or real money, and compete against other people, or in some ~300 single player challenges.

CCM is the meat of the single player game. MUT has also become very popular but you have to be into it... there's microtransactions in that mode. You don't need the microtransactions, but, a little real cash goes a long way enough to turn me off to it.

GTI Guy

Can you play single season mode where I take a team through the schedule and play out the season to the superbowl and the game is done/over?

atr0cious

I've been playing on the PS4 Since Thursday as the quote in the OP stated. I haven't been pleased with Madden Since the 2005 version. Madden 15 is a very good product with some quirks but no game breaking annoying glitches or bugs.

Mario Running needs to be addressed big time. There is no excuse for not having a get skinny animation.

Still need to fix the smoothes with running as a whole, doesn't look as janky as in the past.

Tackling is better, but it is the pile up falling like ragdolls that look awkward and when a runner falls on a pile sometimes he gets bumped forward granting him more yards. It pisses you off when he gets a 1st down as a result.

Still need auto Sub package, I don't know how or why they got rid of this feature.

Overall, this game has improved in all areas presentation, graphics, AI, playbooks, and teaching the fundamentals.

And my little pet project

My Time Practicing the Screen Play and these are my findings. Can someone who has the game practice the screenplay.

The Screen Play is severely artificially hamstrung. I've been testing the screen play in practice mode all types of screens(playing as Steelers All Pro Game Speed: Slow) and I have found that the Programmers have programmed the QB to stride in quicksand. If you start the screen under center they will allow you the natural stride the first 3 steps after that the QB enters quicksand mode slowing him down so much so and they speed up the DLineman making the screen play from under center virtually impossible.

The same can be said about the screenplay from the shotgun. Even though you start with separation you enter quicksand mode on your first step but you still can to a lessor degree make the throw.

I have found in order to make the screenplay somewhat successful is you have to hit the R2 Sprint button which makes your QB turns his back to the Lind of Scrimage(LOS) which is unrealistic to make the throw.

Go to practice mode and try it for yourself. When I get home I'm going to change the game speed to normal and see if that makes a difference.

I'm playing on the PS4.
Thanks for all of this. The mario running was all I needed to know this game isn't for me. This is exactly why I got 2k8, as I can't play a game that punishes me for utilizing the running game. Your experience with the screens sounds horrifying as well.

Bsigg12

I got 1 hour left on my trial which I plan to use up tonight... The gameplay remains fairly similar bit the graphics and presentation are a huge step up... I already dropped my money for the digital preorder.

Everything is much easier to follow and the play suggestions by effectiveness from the community and your time playing the game are great but I still hate the Phil Simms/Jim Nantz commentating. We need a major upgrade in computer speaking so the game can dynamically generate phrases with their voices rather than being stuck with preset statements that are just terrible.

JPS Kai

Never forget. I still have my copy.

Reading the review at Operation Sports doesn't help my purchase chances. I'll be watching from the sidelines until they improve the sim stats. It sounds like this game needs a number of patches out the box.

There's a 3gb day one patch for Xbox One, don't know about other consoles.

alterno69

Banned
This is the first madden I'm buying in 10 years, just ordered a PS4 to go along with it!

So, Madden IS a system seller, mind blown.

I'd like to try a demo before i take the plunge, even as a casual i haven't had fun with Madden in years. So, no demo no buy, you hear me EA?

Saganator

Its too bad I'm busy with Diablo and then Destiny when it comes out, or I'd be getting this. First Madden I want to buy in almost a decade. I'm mainly drawn by the new defensive mode. I always hated playing defense, I use to just pick the play set the coverage and let the AI do the rest. Shame there isn't a demo for PS4.

Cheech

Xbox one to both. I just rememebr how much better madden 25 was on PS4 last year. It wasn't even close .

I've been playing on Xbox One due to early access, and it's so much better than 25 it's a laugh. Everything is incredibly fast and smooth. MUT's operation is MUCH faster, and they fixed pretty much everything that pissed me off about that mode.

I'm buying it on that system because you get MUT packs for 10% off thanks to early access.

If you are the type of Madden player who typically plays a lineman on D because you're the type of dude who doesn't trust yourself screwing up the DB play, this game is a must buy. It is much, much more fun.

The stadiums appear to have been completely redesigned. I've only seen the Ralph and Ford Field, but if they put that much effort into THOSE two stadiums, I'm sure they've all been dealt with (no offense to any Lions or Bills fans!).

Again, playing on Xbox One, clearly this is the true "next gen" Madden that's been in the works for a couple years. I haven't seen anything that was obviously carried over from last year's game. Everything I've looked at so far as been upgraded or replaced with something better. Madden 25 for Xbone and PS4 was clearly just an uprezzed hack job while the AAA Madden team worked on Madden 15.

Finally, this game kicks the shit out of 2K5. I was a huge fan of that game as much as anybody, but it's time to let it go. This is the best Madden since Madden 2004, the last year I really remembering them getting almost everything right.

Going home and preordering a digital ultimate copy. For some odd reason, xbox.com only lists the 59.99 version, and not the ultimate, even though I'm positive I saw the 69.99 game on my Xbox.

This is the first madden I'm buying in 10 years, just ordered a PS4 to go along with it!

Yeah, if you can swing it and are a Madden fan, this isn't a bad choice to justify a new-gen console purchase. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the old-gen consoles are mostly getting roster updates. They can't graphically do what I'm seeing on my Xbox One.

DWinn7

Everything is much easier to follow and the play suggestions by effectiveness from the community and your time playing the game are great but I still hate the Phil Simms/Jim Nantz commentating. We need a major upgrade in computer speaking so the game can dynamically generate phrases with their voices rather than being stuck with preset statements that are just terrible.

...in a not too distant future perhaps? lol that would be cool tho

- "Play Now" which is a standard vs match
- "CCM" Connected Career Mode, which is an either online or offline career mode. You can be either a player, coach, or GM, and the mode changes dpeending on what you pick. Player, you play only that player and in plays relevant to that player. Coach is pretty much a standard Franchise like mode, and GM is like Coach but you also can control ticket prices, concessions, moving the team, etc.
- Skills Trainer, which is a ton of minigames, but alsoa primer on football concepts. It's actually pretty robust this year, and they added a new competative high score portion of this called The Gauntlet.
- Practice, standard practice mode
- Madden Ultimate Team, which is a trading card game where you put together a "fantasy" team using trading cards that you buy with in game or real money, and compete against other people, or in some ~300 single player challenges.

CCM is the meat of the single player game. MUT has also become very popular but you have to be into it... there's microtransactions in that mode. You don't need the microtransactions, but, a little real cash goes a long way enough to turn me off to it.

Thanks for the reply! CCM sounds like where I'll spend most of my time.

I'm well familiar with ultimate team from Fifa and ashamed to admit it leaves an empty feeling in my wallet. Maybe I'll leave that alone until Fifa 15...

Bgamer90

Banned
Very impressed with the game. Graphics are so crisp and clear. The pictures and videos don't do the game justice -- you have to see it in person. Big improvements in in-game lighting too.

Gameplay feels solid. The players have more weight -- feels like you are actually controlling people with weight instead of a typical Madden game. You also can't quickly shift/move to one side after going the opposite direction. Players finally stop and then move. Xbox One trigger rumble feature to try and make players jump is pretty good too.

Overall, a pretty huge jump from Madden NFL 25. Truly feels like the start of the XB1/PS4 gen of Madden and not a continuation of 360/PS3.

Best Madden since 2005.

Branson

As much hate as it gets, I really like the look of tackles this year. Even though they ragdoll a bit. Idk I loved Backbreaker too. I'm a sucker for that stuff. And it looks to be a good mix of animation and physics.

Skenzin

Banned
2k5 really hasn't aged as well as many think. Tried it again about two years ago and was surprised to have my rose tinted glasses removed very quickly.

pixlexic

Banned
I've honestly really really been impressed with the preview, and I'm a giant Madden hater.

It's the best entry in the Madden series ever.

Same here and I don't even like sports games but I do try the demos from time to time and this year's version is a pretty big jump from previous years.

Top Bottom