• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

forms

I am probably the most ridiculous hyped up person here. Thing is, I don't play sports games. Ever. It doesn't end there, however, since I don't watch sports either.

So what the hell an I doing in this thread, you ask, as you sit there rearranging your fan gear. Well, I saw some games during the 90s, and some some weird reason it just hit me, "why don't I check some games?" Well, said and done this lead to me watching gameplay videos of Madden 25, remembering the series from the 90s or so. This lead to the realization that 25 seemed a bit...crap, that a new version was coming and that it looked awesome.

So here ai am, a non sports gamer, and I couldn't be more hyped. And oh, I just bought Game Pass. What the hell am I doing? At least I was hyped by gameplay videos and reading about features, not by forum talk.

Jarate

Banned
so is there any type of demo for this game?

im on ps4, dont want to spend the money if I don't like it. But, being compared to 2005 makes me a little wet

I am probably the most ridiculous hyped up person here. Thing is, I don't play sports games. Ever. It doesn't end there, however, since I don't watch sports either.

So what the hell an I doing in this thread, you ask, as you sit there rearranging your fan gear. Well, I saw some games during the 90s, and some some weird reason it just hit me, "why don't I check some games?" Well, said and done this lead to me watching gameplay videos of Madden 25, remembeeing the seriesa from the 90s or so. This lead to the realization that 25 seemed a bit...crap, that a new version was coming and that it looked awesome.

So here ai am, a non sports gamer, and I couldn't be more hyped.

There are plenty of sports games that are ludicrously fun without knowledge of the sport

Fifa, Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl, Mutant League Football, NHL 94 are all very fun games if you don't know that much about the sport.

Hell, ive played Tecmo Super Bowl with people who legitimately hated sports, and they absolutely adored it.

Like others, having played the 6 hour preview, I'm pretty excited to play more!

Things I liked:
- Flat out looks better.
- Defense is way more fun to play now with the jumping the snap feature, love all the easy changing on-the-fly camera angles on both sides of the ball.
- Presentation, and actually like the UI for selecting plays.
- The CoachGlass feature is pretty cool.
- Can't run worth shit yet (Playing Trent Truck, so true sim!), but it feels like you can work around your linemen more, although suction tackling isn't entirely gone.

Some bad animations are still there. Some throws feel like the CB is running the route before the WR even breaks (seems particularly present on out routes). Also, seems to get glitchy when the CPU goes into hurry up, camera changes like every play.

Overall, this is the best Madden, IMO, in FOREVER. This is the first one in so long where it feels like we aren't being fed the same game with an updated roster. The bar has been placed very low, so maybe that's why Im so high on it, but whatever. Still excited to play the full game more tomorrow!

Thanks for the reply! CCM sounds like where I'll spend most of my time.

I'm well familiar with ultimate team from Fifa and ashamed to admit it leaves an empty feeling in my wallet. Maybe I'll leave that alone until Fifa 15...

CCM has been pretty good, although there have been some issues with it throughout the years. They call it "Connected" because at any time you can invite a friend (or stranger) to join your career mode, and they can take on any role, either player, coach, or GM. You can also switch between players, coaches, and GMs at any time... So maybe you start as a coach/GM with Denver, and you control the whole team, play through Peyton Manning's final seasons in the NFL, and then draft a hot rookie QB and decide to switch to take over the persona of that player. Now, your weekly tasks change from managing the roster to training and improving as a player... and you only play in the games you're involved in. Then, maybe you decide later to switch back to a GM and take over another team.

It's pretty cool.

There's some things that aren't great if you like to do one specific task, but overall, it's a good mode. It also integrates very well online.

BTW, for those looking for long reactions... Here was my reaction to the game in the XBL / EA Access preview thread:

Played a fair amount on the preview... Sure, only 6 hours worth, but so far the game feels really improved and a lot of big and small improvements.

Off the bat, I bumped the game down to "Slow" for gamespeed, which I always prefer. I'm playing on all pro. On All Pro with "Normal" gamespeed, it felt too fast for me... but that's just a preference.

First of all, the gameplay feels right. Players have a weight to them and a fast nimble back feels that way, while a lumbering back has more weight and momentum. Players just feel like they move how they should and your movements make a difference.

More on gameplay, for the first time that I can remember there are actually realistic overthrows and incompletions. In Madden years past, we all know that Qb's would go 25 / 35 and all 10 incompletions would be either dropped passes, batted balls, dropped interceptions, or interceptions. When, halelujah, you actually have poorly thrown balls in this year that go beyond the WR or out of bounds or short, or are just off. Getting a 3rd down stop and having the ball just sail over the head of the WR and fall harmlessly to the ground felt a lot better than having my safety drop an easy interception, even though the result of the play is the game. Seems great.

New playcalling: Actually improved. Madden has tried to speed up the game in the past few years with the playcalling changes, but there's always been a sacrifice of choice for speed and often times, the coaches suggestions are very limited and just lousy plays that you don't want to run. The new enhanced suggestions play calling works and having 6 coaches suggestions, then 3 strategy suggestions,a nd then 6 community suggestions gives enough choice and balance while also keeping the focus on gameplay and less on menus. Though, when I do go back to the traditional playcalling which I do occassionally, I find the "expand / collapse" animation takes a little too long when you're trying to whip through plays and formations. But it hasn't gotten in the way at all and it's only when I go to traditional play calling that I run into this which is usually 1 - 3 plays a game.

Oh and FINALLY with the no huddle has been dramatically improved on offense. First, you can run a no huddle tempo if you want to.. this is similar to NCAA's tempo settings, but tweaked. No huddle tempo actually gives you full playcall screen but gets you to the line without dropping any time off the playclock and it's a quick tempo. Kill clock, or whatever, is like NCAA's where you take 30 seconds off the playclock every time. BUt, when calling an impromptu no huddle, you get full access to your playbook... not the limited 4 or 5 audibles like in year's past. Thank god for this, it's a hell of a lot more realistic and makes the no huddle valuable.

New quick camera changes are a significant improvement to Madden. being able to change on the fly depending on the type of playcall you have is awesome.

Defensive camera is good, it's better than NCAA's old player lock option, but I don't use it for long. I just don't find it as effective so I usually switch back. I use it mostly on the D-Line or when blitzing a line backer. It provides no advantage, but it mixes it up sometimes... and the benefit of being able to toggle it preplay on the field makes it useful. If I had to go into a menu to toggle that I'd never ever use it.

The game looks incredible. If you don't think that these graphics are improved you're insane. You can't tell that much with the gameplay camera when it's pulled back, but there are improvements there... but when it's close up, especially during the opening kickoff, right after touchdowns, and other ingame cinematic times, it's great.

The crowd noise and reaction is great.

Commentary is still pretty bad, mostly the same. It's improved but still mostly sucks. The pregame commentary from the guy in the studio when it goes into the game is natural and feels right... It surprises me that it flows so naturally. I can't tell if maybe they recorded every potential game scenario, but when I played the Bears vs. the Cardinals (which isn't really that "likely" of a matchup), the pregame commentary was relevant and stitched really well, he mentioned it would be a measure of two wide receivers, Larry Fitz and Brandon Marshall, and had both guys compared side by side on the screen with their season stats. Felt really good and normal, something you'd expect to see.

There's one very subtle improvement that I never thought I'd ask for but it's an improvement. There is no opening coin toss really... The coin toss is just simulated before the game, which makes a lot of sense. As a coach, before the game, you have coin toss options... "Receive first," "Defend first," "Take wind," "against wind," this is all on the controller select screen. And then the game loads right into the kickoff after the pre-game commentary. Some people might not like this and might like the coin toss for some weird reason but I never thought that this would be an improvement until actually noticing it and realizing that loading straight into the opening kickoff is way more realistic and TV-like. It's pretty rare that you're watching an NFL game and it shows the opening coin toss like how it's always shown in Madden years past, UNLESS it's a noteworthy game like the Super Bowl. And, FWIW, there IS still a coin toss if you go to Over time, that has not been removed.

The halftime show is pretty good, good to see those highlights and most of them are important plays. In game replays are great and quick. New injury timeouts look good. I like that they made a more TV-like timeout when you call timeout but it can get annoying late in games when you're calling TO just to stop the clock, instead it sort of goes into a TV-style cut of "Let's take a break for this timeout..." type thing. It's fine and not a big deal but I'd like to see that tuned down in late games when you're obviously calling timeout just to stop the clock.

At half time and quarters, I like how it has the pull away for "this game is brought to you by Head and Shoulders, the shampoo of the NFL.." or whatever it is. SOme people might think this is in game advertising, which sure, it is, but it's realistic too and happens similar to real games. Of course, you can "A" through them if you want to and they will never appear. But if you let the presentation take over between quarters you'll see it. They have a few of them, I've seen Verizon and H&S so far.

On the play types... I did the training camp which was fine. The gauntlet mode is fine but I didn't thnk it was amazing or anything. The other drills, some repeats from the past, bu a bunch of new ones with new descriptions and setup seemed good. A whole new area for "Strategy" which teaches you the strategy of specific plays and playcalling. This is something that Madden should have done a long time ago and I think it's a great addition.

I also played MUT for about 10 mins. I've never been an MUT guy and I likely won't this year, but I like how they had a bunch of video tutorials and overlays when you start MUT, like a guided experience.. "Do this, now do this, now do this..." felt like a tutorial in Civ 5,which I need because I don't get MUT at all. But, this helped me understand it a bit more and I liked it. I still probably won't play MUT in any meaningful way, but I liked the improvements.

Did not go into CCM at all, just leaving that for retail.

Overall I think Madden vets will really like this year's game from what I've played of it. Gameplay seems really strong and the graphics at certain points look really, really good... especially on those opening kickoffs. New presentation layers are appreciated, especially the small ones. People who hate Madden every year should probably still pass on it... It's a ton of improvements, but it's still a Madden game and if you live to hate Madden then you won't like this one any more than any other Madden game in the last 10 years. But, if you're open minded and haven't bought Madden in a while, this is the version to get.

-edit-
Just quickly, I did run into a few bugs/issues but nothing really crazy:
  • Punt return, if you switch to defensive camera, then switch back to regular cam, and use the "jump snap" as the punt returner, I was unable to get the punt returner to move... he just locked up and let the ball bounce pass him. Only experienced it once, all of the others were normal.
  • No-huddle is a little too fast when you're on defense. The cam zooms in on the QB doing preplay reads and it doesn't giv you enough time as a defender to make adjustments.
  • Some visual bugs, like Geno smith came out at the beginning of the game and his face flicker and disappeared. Also on no huddle pass while I had the defensive game the game got overly contrasted visually and produced some field flickering post-play. None of these made any impact on the game while playing it, but both were weird. Haven't seen it since that first game against the Jets.

So what the hell an I doing in this thread, you ask, as you sit there rearranging your fan gear. Well, I saw some games during the 90s, and some some weird reason it just hit me, "why don't I check some games?" Well, said and done this lead to me watching gameplay videos of Madden 25, remembering the series from the 90s or so. This lead to the realization that 25 seemed a bit...crap, that a new version was coming and that it looked awesome.

So here ai am, a non sports gamer, and I couldn't be more hyped. And oh, I just bought Game Pass. What the hell am I doing? At least I was hyped by gameplay videos and reading about features, not by forum talk.

I recommend when you get the game playing a lot of the Gauntlet mode and Skills Trainer. It'll make your transition to the game a lot easier and you'll learn a lot about football concepts and such so you don't get killed out the gate against most people you play.

ShaneB

So, Madden IS a system seller, mind blown.

It sure is.

Here I am, I don't even play games that much at all anymore, and with all this excitement, I'm looking to finally sell my last gen consoles, towards purchasing either a MaddenBox One, or a Maddenstation 4.

Which does kinda make me sad, since I'd rather just use that money towards a new pc or something, which would serve me in many other ways, but alas, I'd like to move on from playing Madden 08 PC I guess.

RP912

Banned
2k5 really hasn't aged as well as many think. Tried it again about two years ago and was surprised to have my rose tinted glasses removed very quickly.

Yea the game is good but not godly as most make it out to be...especailly corny stuff like winning games to add stuff to your "crib".

The presentation will never be topped though.

forms

I recommend when you get the game playing a lot of the Gauntlet mode and Skills Trainer. It'll make your transition to the game a lot easier and you'll learn a lot about football concepts and such so you don't get killed out the gate against most people you play.

Yeah, I have been watching Youtube videos where people exploitation the rules and positions, just to be able to follow the games. The training in Maiden looks great.

atr0cious

2k5 really hasn't aged as well as many think. Tried it again about two years ago and was surprised to have my rose tinted glasses removed very quickly.

Play All Pro Football 2k8. Even without all the modes, it's still a great football game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnwCEQttM8

Youtube playlists of Madden 25 vs APF videos watch with sound at your own peril.

And it's like 3 bucks at gamestop. Make sure you get the 360 version if you want NFL roster updates. The PS3 roster edit is locked.

People should hire you for reviews Albatross. You actually talk about the shit that matters unlike those big money guys :(

Oh, I can confirm that SuperSim is still mostly broken. It's slightly more reasonable than in year's past, and you see fewer ridiculous plays, but the time management issue is still there. This bug has been going on 8 years, I think.

anddo0

Have you played the game?

It's a night/day improvement from Madden 25. Biggest one year jump the series has made in a long time.

Speaking of night/day

is it possible for EA to fix the night games?

From what I've read night games look atrocious compared to the rest of the package.

Bgamer90

Banned
riiiiiiiiight same shit people say every year. No wonder we only have one NFL game and we will until the end of gaming.

So your post is different from the usual?

Don't understand your purpose. It's a madden 15 thread -- I've played the game and haven't thought/felt that Madden was a huge improvement each year. I definitely notice the improvements this year though.

Speaking of night/day

is it possible for EA to fix the night games?

From what I've read night games look atrocious compared to the rest of the package.

yes! I mentioned this in another post in the preview thread. There is definitely something wrong with the lighting in night games on XBox One (only played Xbox One version in the EA Access preview). I played a game in Philadelphia at night and it was as if the lights weren't turned on, it was very odd. I was surprised because this has never been a noticable issue in the last few Maddens, but this was the first thing I noticed in M15 in a night game... It looked way too dark. Not too dark to know what was going on, but just did not look right.

I suspect this will be fixed by an early patch. Seems like a bug that got introduced late because it was a pretty obvious lighting issue.

riiiiiiiiight same shit people say every year. No wonder we only have one NFL game and we will until the end of gaming.

Difference is, these people have actually played the game and you haven't. The praise for this Madden is way, WAY higher than any other year in my memory.

THing is, you're probably going to never like Madden... ever. And that's okay. You just don't need to tell everybody that in every thread. This is an OT.

theWB27

Haven't played Madden in about 6 years. This sounds like the perfect title to finally jump back in. I do miss some virtual pigskin.

Can't believe that 2k5 nonsense still goes on. Wasn't even the best game the year it released.

If you have Gold or Elites and you still have your PS3 download "Footbal" preset makes a world of difference the Stadium ambiance is brought to life.

I would definantly not say HUGE leap over 25. Especially gameplay wise. Its better but lets keep it at that. I play and buy madden every year since 03, this year is one of the refining years.. Im not sure when we will see a HUGE leap for madden but right now I really dont care.

I've been playing on Xbox One due to early access, and it's so much better than 25 it's a laugh. Everything is incredibly fast and smooth. MUT's operation is MUCH faster, and they fixed pretty much everything that pissed me off about that mode.

I'm buying it on that system because you get MUT packs for 10% off thanks to early access.

If you are the type of Madden player who typically plays a lineman on D because you're the type of dude who doesn't trust yourself screwing up the DB play, this game is a must buy. It is much, much more fun.

The stadiums appear to have been completely redesigned. I've only seen the Ralph and Ford Field, but if they put that much effort into THOSE two stadiums, I'm sure they've all been dealt with (no offense to any Lions or Bills fans!).

Again, playing on Xbox One, clearly this is the true "next gen" Madden that's been in the works for a couple years. I haven't seen anything that was obviously carried over from last year's game. Everything I've looked at so far as been upgraded or replaced with something better. Madden 25 for Xbone and PS4 was clearly just an uprezzed hack job while the AAA Madden team worked on Madden 15.

Finally, this game kicks the shit out of 2K5. I was a huge fan of that game as much as anybody, but it's time to let it go. This is the best Madden since Madden 2004, the last year I really remembering them getting almost everything right.

Going home and preordering a digital ultimate copy. For some odd reason, xbox.com only lists the 59.99 version, and not the ultimate, even though I'm positive I saw the 69.99 game on my Xbox.

Yeah, if you can swing it and are a Madden fan, this isn't a bad choice to justify a new-gen console purchase. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the old-gen consoles are mostly getting roster updates. They can't graphically do what I'm seeing on my Xbox One.

Thank you very much.

M.W.

Wasn't going to get Madden, played the 6 hour EA Access, now I am. Very solid entry in the series, and it's gorgeous. Question though, any differences in the console versions?

forms

Does anyone know whether the bonus preorder content ($ for ultimate) will be available on my EU account if I buy it on US psn?

ShaneB

Shane don't you want to be featured on Bread Stream?

That can't happen if you get the maddenstation 4!

Haha, that is a very tempting proposition. There are plenty of reasons why I should get it on MaddenBox One, one actually being a massive preference for the controller, but I figure if I get a Maddenstation 4, I'd at least be able to check out Hot Shots Golf someday too.

U2NUMB

Enjoyed the extended demo this weekend but one thing still bugs me.. in the connected franchise mode for my player I hate all the views.. I want one higher like last year.

Are they doing this on purpose to make you "feel" like you are looking out over the field? It was still bugging me hours into my career..

I found the load times before the games, on the preview on xbox one to be quite steep. I wonder if its the same on the PS4.

Agreed. The load time fo the game to boot is pretty steep. I was Exiting out every time because of EA Access, so I'll be relieved when I can just leave it in quick boot and start where I left off.

Load time going into games is not improved by any discernible amount over the last 6 years.

the rumble triggers provide a great addition to the game IMO when they rumble on hard counts in addition to the new pass rush moves it adds another layer to this game .

Any word on what console has the graphical edge? Might be getting this on PS4.

The games are supposed to be the same, but some early reports are that PS4 looks better and has no noticeable pauses during post-play animations or rollovers. The gameplay was always smooth on the XB1 preview, but I'd notice that the transition effects during presentation moments would be a lower framerate, and also in postplay video replays, the game wouldn't be smooth.

I need to get that Storm Johnson and Blake Bortles combo back in madden 15.

Here's hoping he makes the team. He's looked good on kickoff returns.

Top Bottom