• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Downloading now. I still have some work to finish and by the time I'm done, it should be downloaded. :D

Of course I'm tired as hell since I got up at 5 am.

Chrange said:
I have to say, the Mafia II instruction book is the best I've ever seen. Glorious full colour all the way through and so much time spent on the buttons used in gameplay!

It's a four page (four numbered pages, but technically an eight page booklet) One page on connecting to Xbox Live, a centerspread of Set 1 controls for driving and walking, three pages of warnings about epilepsy and warranty info, the front cover and the back cover - dedicated to the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC. SAD, SAD, SAD!

I think the shitty manuals of recent years has been a conspiracy to get us all to adopt digital distribution.

It worked.

I am quite unhappy 2K did not let us pre-load the game. Pretty lame that i have a lousy connection thanks to AT&T and hence i cannot play this tonite.

Salsa

MMaRsu said:
I understand the dislike for the fact that there is nothing to do in the city aside from the main missions.. and I dislike it as well.

I actually like this. Its clearly not trying to be GTA. Mafia 1 was like this, not really a sandbox game, and i appreciate they kept it that way. I think i like my games more linear sometimes, and im ok with the town being more of a fun hub to get from mission A to mission B than a completely open place to do lame stuff.

Assuming that this fact gave them time to really polish the main story and missions, of course :p

burgerdog

Aw, for some reason fraps is screwing up the gamma when I take screenshots. They are super dark even though the game looks fine.

coopolon

I am really loving this game so far. I think the shooting and driving are just fine, just like they were in the demo. They're not amazing, but they're certainly not bad in any way.

But what makes this game great so far is the incredibly well crafted world and the immersion it creates. Empire Bay in Chapter 2 is a pretty incredibly experience. I'm not going to bother reading reviews until I beat the game, but so far I'm really happy I kept my pre-order.

Of course playing it on PC makes it all easier to enjoy as well.

jambo

Games.On.Net PC Review
So then, we're left with a brilliant action game that is polished in every respect - narrative, technology, audio, voice acting; even the historical accuracy is faultless. It's no Grand Theft Auto, but it never wanted to be - go into this game knowing that and you won't be disappointed.

5/5

Salsa

jambo said:
Games.On.Net PC Review
So then, we're left with a brilliant action game that is polished in every respect - narrative, technology, audio, voice acting; even the historical accuracy is faultless. It's no Grand Theft Auto, but it never wanted to be - go into this game knowing that and you won't be disappointed.

5/5

They get it

burgerdog

Incredible atmosphere, the music and the look of the city is very well done. I don't have a problem with the driving so it's not a minus for me. So far there's been a good amount of indoor environments and they look amazing, hell, the entire game looks incredible on pc. So glad I bought it.

Jb

Giant Bomb + Games with a PC heritage = not a good mix.
I'll probably skip the segment in this week's bombcast devoted to Mafia II. I love'em, but they can be so narrow minded at times.

Majora

Eurogamer have just given this 4/10

Not sure about whether I want to get this. Will probably wait til it's cheap. The demo didn't completely sell me.

Salsa

MacBosse said:
Well obviously!

I haven't played the game, but anything less than a full score is a blasphemy. Right?

lol, i should have highlited this part:

jambo said:
It's no Grand Theft Auto, but it never wanted to be.

Thats what i was refering to. Its clearly not trying to be GTA, or even a sandbox game, as i said earlier. Same thing with Mafia I.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MacBosse said:
Well obviously!

I haven't played the game, but anything less than a full score is a blasphemy. Right?

Not really, but people were destined to complain about the 'sandbox' aspects, or lack thereof. It's a valid complaint if you want a sandbox game, but the point myself and others have been stressing since the game was announced is that Mafia has never tried to be a sandbox game, not in the traditional 'Grand Theft Auto' sense. It's always been more linear and focused, with the sandbox aspect more of a backdrop.

So when you get reviews hurr durring about sandbox issues you cant help but feel they missed the entire point. It would be like complaining that GTA's car controls and combat plays much like an arcade game. A valid complaint on a personal level, but if you go in with those expectations you've missed the point of the product to begin with.

Rad-

So looking at all these reviews I guess it's safe to say this isn't at the same level the first one was.

I'll probably grab this when it becomes cheap but considering the bad port quality I'm definitely not buying this yet.

Majora said:
Eurogamer have just given this 4/10

Not sure about whether I want to get this. Will probably wait til it's cheap. The demo didn't completely sell me.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-23-mafia-ii-review

Likewise, there's nothing behind the pretty face of protagonist Vito Scaletta, a charmless zero who does whatever he is told to do no matter who asks, obliging all corners of the Empire Bay organised-crime machine with his robotic smile. Rough up some innocent dockworkers? OK. Switch families? You got it. Deal drugs? No problem. He does have occasional moments of rebellion, but because of the character's general vapidity, they ring false.

Interesting that GTA games rarely get this type of criticism.

Salsa

EatChildren said:
Not really, but people were destined to complain about the 'sandbox' aspects, or lack thereof. It's a valid complaint if you want a sandbox game, but the point myself and others have been stressing since the game was announced is that Mafia has never tried to be a sandbox game, not in the traditional 'Grand Theft Auto' sense. It's always been more linear and focused, with the sandbox aspect more of a backdrop.

So when you get reviews hurr durring about sandbox issues you cant help but feel they missed the entire point. It would be like complaining that GTA's car controls and combat plays much like an arcade game. A valid complaint on a personal level, but if you go in with those expectations you've missed the point of the product to begin with.

Yeah, this is what i meant, you explained it better.

markot

Banned
>_>....

People take reviews so srsly, its kinda sad given how terrible they are 99.9% of the time...

Honestly... the last time I think a read or watched a full review was MGS3, the game they praised that was unplayable rubbish.

At that moment I realised, its all a load of crap, and 'journalists' in this industry are just hacks and morons waiting for konami to ring and offer em a job.

.... well, maybe not Konami.

dreamfall

as far as the Eurogamer review goes, I definitely didn't agree with their 4/10 for the original Mafia game. My understanding is that this plays relatively the same- linear story, open world environment structure. There weren't many side missions (although Free Ride was nice) and the game had some enthralling set pieces.

I'm hoping that the story is actually well written; this is the main concern. Eurogamer trashes it, Gamespot says it is exciting, D-toid says it has it's moments- who knows? It's all opinion.

So, I just finished the game with 13:36h on the clock - beware, I'm a slower type, so this could probably be done in 8-10h.
Had high hopes for this game, since I didn't like that mission design in GTA4 with all it's sidestories and choppy storytelling. I would say I've got satisfied pretty much.
The ending; actually the last two chapters
were a letdown to me tho, but I really liked the pace of the story telling in general.

Anyway, I don't want to go too much into detail, but the audiovisuals are great. I really felt like I'm in NYC's 40s and 50s listening to that perfectly fitting music. The mood was most of the time right - the weather is really awesome. So yeah, if I had to rate it, it would be a 7,5/10.

Zeliard

VALIS said:
Been debating this for a while (I pre-ordered it twice and removed the pre-order twice), glad I held off. It sounds like what I feared it might be: Great atmosphere but stale gameplay. Would love to play it someday, but not at $50/60.

Brad Shoemaker criticizes it for not being a sandbox game when it never even pretends to be. The Mafia games are purposefully linear because they deal heavily in storytelling. They're almost purely story-driven.

Having a large city doesn't make your game a sandbox game, and it also doesn't mean that's what you're attempting. People conflate "open-world" with "sandbox" far too often, and they mean two entirely different things.

LOL Not buying a game because of reviews. This is so smashing, it's not like we have brains and can formulate opinions by ourselves. Nope, can't even rent games either!

I like driving with the controller when it is set on 'simulation'. It really drives well that way. Nice simulation of driving on a snowy road.

Tears For Fears said:
LOL Not buying a game because of reviews. This is so smashing, it's not like we have brains and can formulate opinions by ourselves. Nope, can't even rent games either!

yes lets waste $50(PC) and then formulate our opinions? I really really wanted this games to be awesome but due to the crappy reviews and the fact that there is way more driving then shooting I will be passing on this games and wait for a steam deal.

Even most Gaffers who haave played the game are dissapointed. At some point you have realize the game seems B level :(

Scotch

dreamfall said:
as far as the Eurogamer review goes, I definitely didn't agree with their 4/10 for the original Mafia game.
I thought this had to be a typo somehow, but you're right, they actually did give the original on the PC a 4/10. Unbelievable.

I guess I'll just have to accept that Mafia is not for everyone. I've learned over the years that people who don't like Mafia have a complete different mindset than I have. I love the fact that you can get speeding tickets, they hate it. I loved the racing mission in the first game, they hate it. I loved the fact that the cars are realistically slow, they hate it. For me, that stuff all adds to the great atmosphere. While they think it makes for a horrible sandbox game.

Roarer

Funny how people take offense with unfavorable reviews. Don't agree with a reviewer? Just ignore and move on. No review ever claims to be the truth - just as a post on this forum is an expression of someone's opinion, the same goes for a review.

And don't bother with the "Reviewer X didn't *get* the game" or "he's playing it wrong!" argument. It's all subjective, let's not forget that.

derFeef

Kabuki Waq said:
yes lets waste $50(PC) and then formulate our opinions? I really really wanted this games to be awesome but due to the crappy reviews and the fact that there is way more driving then shooting I will be passing on this games and wait for a steam deal.

Even most Gaffers who haave played the game are dissapointed. At some point you have realize the game seems B level :(
OMG B level? What a junk. And "most Gaffers" seemed to love the demo and I would wait for more impressions, the full game just unlocked some hours ago and it comes out in europe in 3 days (dammit).

I must have played a different demo (360) than what's in those comparison shots because the game looked downright gorgeous overall. Probably give it a rent.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I was under the impression that the demo would do more for you than a review could.

I mean if you play the demo and like the driving/shooting/dancing mechanic then there shouldn't exist a review that will convince you otherwise.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kabuki Waq said:

Who is "most gaffers?"

mclem

Roarer said:
Funny how people take offense with unfavorable reviews. Don't agree with a reviewer? Just ignore and move on. No review ever claims to be the truth - just as a post on this forum is an expression of someone's opinion, the same goes for a review.

And don't bother with the "Reviewer X didn't *get* the game" or "he's playing it wrong!" argument. It's all subjective, let's not forget that.

It's probably worth pointing out that it's still quite possible for a review to actually *be* wrong. I worked (briefly) on a game on PS2 which shared a title with an Xbox game but was actually a different game. The PS2 version was arguably superior (but then I would say that!), but we had to deal with a number of review outlets who reviewed the Xbox version as both versions.

Not that I'm saying that this is or isn't actually wrong, I have no knowledge either way.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Roarer said:

Well, there's subjective and then there is missing the point entirely. Some of these reviewers see "big city" "missions" and "crime" and thinks its an open world sandbox GTA clone. Mafia is not and it never, ever has been.

If a reviewer takes it for what it is, they're on the right path. Whether they like it or not, at least they actually understand what the game is instead of what it isn't.

Then there is just stupidity, like this gem.

Likewise, there's nothing behind the pretty face of protagonist Vito Scaletta, a charmless zero who does whatever he is told to do no matter who asks, obliging all corners of the Empire Bay organised-crime machine with his robotic smile. Rough up some innocent dockworkers? OK. Switch families? You got it. Deal drugs? No problem. He does have occasional moments of rebellion, but because of the character's general vapidity, they ring false.

What he just described was every single main character in any open world game or any non-RPG game that doesn't give options. From John Marston to Niko to whoever. There is seriously no difference here. Its even worse when a character does bitch and moan (like Marston) because they end up doing it anyways so its all sound and fury signifying nothing.

Top Bottom