• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dear god is this gas stamps driving mission pissing me off. I would have no problem doing it if it wasn't for the stilted unabortable cutscene that plays and lets the clock keep ticking every time you drop off stamps.

Anyone have some tips on how to get past this crap. What is it with Illusion and making ridiculously hard "race" missions.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dark10x said:
Tried new drivers, same problem. Not using Crossfire.

Fortunately, the solution for me is simple; run in windowed mode and enable overscan on my TV. Completely eliminate the tiny bar at the top of the screen and looks virtually the same as fullscreen. :D

Shouldn't have to do that, but I'm glad it's that simple.

Not an issue for me at all on my 4870x2.

Turn on AA in-game and fraps tells me I hover around the mid-30's fps but it feels worse.

So I play the game sans-AA and I'm getting 45-60 fps consistent.

Overall pleased with the graphics and performance in this game.

Zeliard

FlyinJ said:
Dear god is this gas stamps driving mission pissing me off. I would have no problem doing it if it wasn't for the stilted unabortable cutscene that plays and lets the clock keep ticking every time you drop off stamps.

Anyone have some tips on how to get past this crap. What is it with Illusion and making ridiculously hard "race" missions.

Probably a common misconception but you don't have to actually finish that mission. I was playing on simulation driving and only got 4/6 stamps, and it didn't matter. I just ended the mission and moved on. You don't have to keep re-loading or whatever, unless you really want to.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Zeliard said:
Probably a common misconception but you don't have to actually finish that mission. I was playing on simulation driving and only got 4/6 stamps, and it didn't matter. I just ended the mission and moved on. You don't have to keep re-loading or whatever, unless you really want to.

What? I played it 5 times now, and realized there was absolutely no way I'd get to the last gas station on time and restarted each try.

So you're actually not supposed to be able to accomplish it? What crap design.

Zeliard

FlyinJ said:
What? I played it 5 times now, and realized there was absolutely no way I'd get to the last gas station on time and restarted each try.

I think it should be possible to get all 6. The only reason I didn't is because I was playing on simulation and skidding a lot. Seems like getting 6 should be manageable.

I agree they should make it more clear that not getting all 6 isn't actually a fail-state.

MMaRsu

FlyinJ said:

In the life of a gangster you are not always able to do whatever you want :p.

wormstrangler said:
Mafia ii is out on Steam now for international players! Seems to be a day early.

Today (26th) is the official release day here in NZ.

I might be picking this up later, might trade in some old games for a PC box. It connects to steam right?

FlyinJ said:

Getting 6 of them is just for an achievement, so yes, it's doable. I didn't find it to be that hard, though. The only difficulty I had was with accidentally angering the police (speeding, crashing, etc... There's too damn many of them!).

coopolon

FlyinJ said:

He explicitly says, "the more gas stations you get too, the more money you make." He does not say, "If you don't make it to all 6 gas stations, I will kill you." And it's definitely possible to get to all 6, I was about 20ft short of the last gas station and I got pulled over by a cop and was driving on PC, which I suck at.

There are actual several of these missions in the game where if you fail you just carry on with the consequences, and this one is the best explained one. For the rest of them, there is no way to know that it won't be gameover until it isn't. Those I think could be argued are poor design (although I like that you can fail and just live with it), but this one I thought they made it very clear you don't have to get to all of them, you'll just lose some money if you don't.

I just beat the game. I really liked it. But it is a 12 hour single player experience with no real reason to ever go back and play it again. Normally for me, that is either a rental or a pick up on sale item, but for some reason I got really hyped. I wouldn't say it's too short, I think the length is actually just right.

The narrative REALLY falls apart in places. All of a sudden your character will have these really strong feelings about someone when there's no background to explain it. I'm not a big mafia guy, just seen the Godfather movies, not Goodfellas or anything like that, so the story is probably a little less generic for me than it is for other people who are big into this stuff.

I REALLY enjoyed the shooting in this game on the PC with m/kb. I tried using the gamepad for a little bit, but even with autoaim turned on (and holy shit does this game have autoaim, it's basically MW2 level of automatic headshots), I still hated it. But mowing down guys with a tommy gun using the m/kb was pretty awesome.

Driving is fine, not excellent, not bad. You do a lot of it, probably too much of it, but for me I didn't mind because of the awesome soundtrack and the awesome city you are driving through, it makes the road trips a real treat.

The voice acting is incredibly. Some of the characters are wonderful (I really liked the two main ones), while others are pretty bland.

But the reason you play this game is for the city. It is far and away the best part. I never really understood the hyperbole written about Liberty City in GTAIV, but I feel like now I really understand what they meant. It's gorgeous (at least on PC anyway), and it's so full of life and unique details clearly placed their by creator intent, it really is something else. Definitely a must play just to experience the city, I've never seen anything like it in a video game before (and I did beat RDR, while RDR has some of this magic, after you're asked to rescue the guy's wife from being hung for the 10th time, the magic starts to wear off. Then again, RDR is a significantly bigger game). I remember getting hints of this in Mafia 1, and it really comes to fruition here.

If you can't play it on PC, definitely rent this game. If you can play it on PC, do so, but wait for it to go on sale, it's not worth $50.

conan60

Neo Member
coopolon said:
He explicitly says, "the more gas stations you get too, the more money you make." He does not say, "If you don't make it to all 6 gas stations, I will kill you." And it's definitely possible to get to all 6, I was about 20ft short of the last gas station and I got pulled over by a cop and was driving on PC, which I suck at.

There are actual several of these missions in the game where if you fail you just carry on with the consequences, and this one is the best explained one. For the rest of them, there is no way to know that it won't be gameover until it isn't. Those I think could be argued are poor design (although I like that you can fail and just live with it), but this one I thought they made it very clear you don't have to get to all of them, you'll just lose some money if you don't.

I just beat the game. I really liked it. But it is a 12 hour single player experience with no real reason to ever go back and play it again. Normally for me, that is either a rental or a pick up on sale item, but for some reason I got really hyped. I wouldn't say it's too short, I think the length is actually just right.

The narrative REALLY falls apart in places. All of a sudden your character will have these really strong feelings about someone when there's no background to explain it. I'm not a big mafia guy, just seen the Godfather movies, not Goodfellas or anything like that, so the story is probably a little less generic for me than it is for other people who are big into this stuff.

I REALLY enjoyed the shooting in this game on the PC with m/kb. I tried using the gamepad for a little bit, but even with autoaim turned on (and holy shit does this game have autoaim, it's basically MW2 level of automatic headshots), I still hated it. But mowing down guys with a tommy gun using the m/kb was pretty awesome.

Driving is fine, not excellent, not bad. You do a lot of it, probably too much of it, but for me I didn't mind because of the awesome soundtrack and the awesome city you are driving through, it makes the road trips a real treat.

The voice acting is incredibly. Some of the characters are wonderful (I really liked the two main ones), while others are pretty bland.

But the reason you play this game is for the city. It is far and away the best part. I never really understood the hyperbole written about Liberty City in GTAIV, but I feel like now I really understand what they meant. It's gorgeous (at least on PC anyway), and it's so full of life and unique details clearly placed their by creator intent, it really is something else. Definitely a must play just to experience the city, I've never seen anything like it in a video game before. I remember getting hints of this in Mafia 1, and it really come to fruition here.

If can't play it on PC, definitely rent this game. If you can play it on PC, do so, but wait for it to go on sale, it's not worth $50.

I got all six with over a minute to spare, usin tyhe sapce age car from the Dl content for the 360. So its doable.

Jenga

Banned
About to finish the game.

the beginning of Chapter 14 made me sad

MortalMonkey said:
This will be nobody's GOTY, not even close. Even if you loved the first one, this sequel is nothing to write home about.
Bullfuckingshit.

This game provides an engaging experience that rivals, and in many cases, excels past the first one.

Improved gunplay.

Good characters.

I've yet to complete the game, so I will not comment on the story, but it's still damned good and the game is already longer than what I remember spending on the first one.

I seriously do not know what any fan of the first Mafia could find lacking, perhaps besides the story. Which is a tall fucking order since the original's is excellent.

hamchan

FlyinJ said:

Um it's very possible to do it, quite easy too.

Try breaking the speed limit and not crashing into stuff!

Been playing it whole day, liking it so far. Some things could have been done better, sometimes voice acting is bit lulzy but oh well, good game overall :p

Kamal007

Neo Member
dreamer3kx said:
Playing on hard, did I make a mistake, also is the speed indicator on or off by default?
off... when u hit x (on the xbox); the red part of the spedometor can't be accessed

somebody tell me how to beat Chapter 14 on hard...
WTF @ inside the warehouse..... how do you dodge the damage the molotovs give ya?

also, I can't believe people this this game is difficult... I'm breezing through it (no e-peen brag), first time I stopped playing was bcuz of chapter 14

Spookie

Chapter 13.

"This is a setup it must be after that last chapter" "No wait. Oh shi-!... Awesome"

Edit: Correct chapter (I think!).

markot

Banned
>_< Still does the stupid 'dim screen' thingy when you exit...

I dont get why they dont call it New York though >.>...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So... let me get this straight.

I buy Mafia II PC retail. I head home to install it, it pops up on Steam etc. I then have to download via Steam's bullshit download system a 6gb "update" to play it.

Why the hell is there a physical DVD then? I bought it retail specifically because of the reason that Steam's download service is absolute balls.

I didn't like the ending.
Poor Joe. :( Also, there better be a shitload of upcoming DLC episodes or something because that was one hell of a sucker punch ending. I really want to know what happens next.

Clocked in at around 14 hours, 2 of which were me idling on the side of the road jamming to songs I like - so yeah, around 12 hours on Hard. The story was really good and as you might have read above (the spoilers), I was really into it, which is something I can't say the same for GTAIV.

However, gameplay-wise, the game doesn't really deliver outside of gunplay. Driving is fine, but the inability to shoot while driving is really annoying. The only way to avoid people chasing you is to lose them with tricky driving, which is sometimes very hard to do given the individual circumstances of each mission (aka given a pile of shit car - wtf happened to the one I brought?!).
The world of Mafia II is absolutely gorgeous, but there's very few things you can actually do, and it's a damn shame given how much care and time obviously went into creating the world. I really believe that if there was more of an open-world aspect available in the game that this game could've been something incredible. Some side-missions, more activities in the city, dating of some kind (Vito don't get none), anything! Weren't whores like 50c back in that day?

Anyway, in the end, I feel that it was a very good game but for a future installment, they should consider opening up their beautifully crafted cities a bit more to be fully immersed in the world they created.

Now, to the Betrayal of Jimmy. :D

En-ou

markot said:
>_< Still does the stupid 'dim screen' thingy when you exit...

I dont get why they dont call it New York though >.>...
hit alt+ctrl+del and then cancel the pop up, it will reset your desktop brightness

Smokey

uh...i just started the game on 360..and in the cut scenes i'm not getting any voices...just subtitles...?

edit: yeah this is fucking lame. i restart it over and in the options enable subtitles and in the beginning of the game i guess the guy is supposed to be talking to himself in his apartment (introductory cutscene) and no voice is coming out, but the subtitles are going.

when i didn't have them enabled nothing was on the screen so i didn't think anything of there being no voice i thought that was how it was supposed to be...until a few scenes later where they people were obviously moving their lips and no audio was coming out.

:sigh

back to gamefly it goes i guess

goddamnit

edit 2: so it looks like if you play the game in 5.1 there aren't voices in cutscenes..i turned off my receiver and turned up the tv speakers and watdoyaknow...there's voice..isn't that sweet :/

Smokey said:
uh...i just started the game on 360..and in the cut scenes i'm not getting any voices...just subtitles...?

edit: yeah this is fucking lame. i restart it over and in the options enable subtitles and in the beginning of the game i guess the guy is supposed to be talking to himself in his apartment (introductory cutscene) and no voice is coming out, but the subtitles are going.

when i didn't have them enabled nothing was on the screen so i didn't think anything of there being no voice i thought that was how it was supposed to be...until a few scenes later where they people were obviously moving their lips and no audio was coming out.

:sigh

back to gamefly it goes i guess

goddamnit

edit 2: so it looks like if you play the game in 5.1 there aren't voices in cutscenes..i turned off my receiver and turned up the tv speakers and watdoyaknow...there's voice..isn't that sweet :/

I have a 5.1 set up and it works just fine for me. My audio goes through Optical from the 360 to the Speakers.

Piggus

dark10x said:
Hmph, so there is actually a bit of an issue with ATI cards. First game in a while that has given me trouble. Basically, in fullscreen mode, there is a very slight stutter effect that occurs most of the time. Turns out it disappears completely in windowed mode.

While this stutter occurs, the framerate is always reading at 60 fps.

Very odd.

I'm having the same problem, but with an Nvidia card. It's really annoying. :/

I'll try the windowed mode thing.

speedpop said:

I buy Mafia II PC retail. I head home to install it, it pops up on Steam etc. I then have to download via Steam's bullshit download system a 6gb "update" to play it.

Why the hell is there a physical DVD then? I bought it retail specifically because of the reason that Steam's download service is absolute balls.
use the unpacker program (phoenix) and a crack. don't bother with steam at all :))

speedpop said:

I didn't have that problem. I literally just opened up steam, put in the disk and installed it. Even deleted the Mafia 2 demo I had installed.

That or it downloaded 6 gigs in like 10 minutes.

Haunted

For those having problems with the driving, don't forget that A is not only the speed limiter, but also enables a traction control of sorts.

Prevents wheelspin, tremendously helps cornering. Limiter on for corners, off on straights (until blue police cars come up on the minimap).

kitch9

Banned
speedpop said:

When you says balls you mean fuck awesome yes?

You are doing it wrong by the way......

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
speedpop said:

Steam's download service is balls? I get 3MB/s from their servers fairly consistently. When I lived in Tokyo and had a badass fiber optic connection I would get up to 8MB/s.

Salsa

Yeah i guess that could be considered a spoiler Rated-Rsuperstar..

Allright so im 2 hours in and im really liking it so far. Thing is im getting some random framedrops, i would ussually blame my mid-end rig, but i dont know, they are really that: random, they dont happen when things get cluttered or anything like that, they´re just random, out of the blue, even inside of buildings when nothing´s happening.

Anyone else having this issue ?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
crimsonheadGCN said:
You are a god amongst men.

Zefah said:
Steam's download service is balls? I get 3MB/s from their servers fairly consistently. When I lived in Tokyo and had a badass fiber optic connection I would get up to 8MB/s.
It always goes through the "suspended" part of a download. Like a switch turning off and on randomly. Sometimes I'll get 1mb/s constantly for about 2 mins, then it goes off. If anyone has a clue to fix it, then I am all ears.

My review. I played the PS3 version.

Pros

+ Excellent narrative. My favorite since Uncharted 2. Lots of well written characters and story arcs with a maturity that GTA lacks. Now don't get me wrong Mafia 2 can be vulgar and in your face but it also shows emotion and the fact that Vito and Joe are real people that have to deal with hard decisions that don't always work out.
I was surprised when Joe actually felt something for Marty's death. Most games would just continue like nothing happened.

+ Shooting. While not as polished as other big 3rd person shooters, it's still visceral and exciting. Glass, tables, bodies, and blood are always flying and exploding.

+ Mission design. A major problem I had with Red Dead was the fact that Marston is suppose to be this decent guy trying to fix his past yet every mission boiled down to blowing away hundreds of guys. Mafia 2 mixes it up more often.
You find yourself selling cigarettes, cleaning urinals, or mopping up blood. Then you do have cool setpiece missions like blowing up the hotel, or shooting apart a diner.

+ The detail in the city and missions. I love how everything evolves over the game. From snow to summer, music over the radio, to street signs and vehicles.

+ Loved the soundtrack. There's a really great variety of music from that era like Long Tall Sally and Mr. Sandman. The musical score also compliments the action and drama nicely.

Cons

- Needed more checkpoints.
I just finish shooting up the chinese restaurant and reach the mob boss cutscene in the basement when my game freezes during the scene. And I'm forced to fight through the basement again. Or I fight across the docks to kill Derek in the warehouse. The door closes behind me and boom I'm dead because of a molotov. Instead of starting me right when the door closes, I have to fight across the dock again.

- Brawling. I found it boring. Block/Counterpunch Block/Counterpunch Watching the finishers were ok but after fighting one or two times, I didn't want to do it anymore.

- Driving. There's too much of it. There should have been an option to quick travel because most of the time nothing happens between you and your destination.

- The ending.
It was too brief for my liking. Is Joe really dead? Is Leone Galante gonna kill Vito even though he got rid of Falcone? His character arc didn't have a satisfying conclusion which makes me disappointed after such great buildup.

Random

The speed limit meter was a great touch.

It took me 10 hours to beat the campaign. The length felt fine. The lack of multiplayer doesn't bother me and I still want to go back and grab some trophies I missed.

I played on hard difficulty. Which wasn't that bad. I only died a couple times over the course of the game. It was the checkpoints that made dying frustrating.

The games performance on the ps3 was pretty solid. The game would stutter when I changed radio stations but it never slowed during gunplay or brawling. And I encountered a couple glitches and two freezes.

Overall I give Mafia 2 an 8/10. It's definitely one of my top games of the year. Now to play the Betrayal of Jimmy DLC.

Is there no free roam after you beat the game? I still have wanted posters and such to find. Ughhh.

There's no free roam. You just have to pick a chapter and continue from there. The playboy mags are chapter specific but the wanted posters can be grabbed in any chapter.

MMaRsu

Damn it's in stores but I have to wait another hour before I can pick it up.... :(

And then I have to work 2 hours later!

Smokey

sweetvar26 said:
I have a 5.1 set up and it works just fine for me. My audio goes through Optical from the 360 to the Speakers.

So do I. I tried other games just to make sure my shit wasn't fucked up and they worked fine as usual. For whatever reason when I enable 5.1...there is no voice in cut scenes.

Whatever though..I didn't buy the game (rented from Gamefly) so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Played for a little over 4 hrs straight today after getting the audio issues sorted out. Made it to Chapter 8 before I had to call it quits. Some FUCKED up shit has happened up to this point though.

Plasma

Banned
Just got my game through the post but of course I can't install it because it isn't the day of release, this is just annoying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It definitely has some of that Mafia magic. I feel like the missions are simply more interesting and well thought out that what you get in games like Grand Theft Auto. For instance, the safe cracking mission (Chapter 4 perhaps?) feels surprisingly involved and atmospheric. I enjoyed sneaking around inside the building, dodging or disposing of guards, and finding my way around. Left a good impression.

The atmosphere is also killer in this game. Driving around in the snowy winter time landscapes feels so much more real than any other similar game. It actually managed to drag up some old memories of dark, snowy winter nights that I've enjoyed. Very convincing.

MMaRsu

1qsf2r.jpg

eshwaaz

dark10x said:
The atmosphere is also killer in this game. Driving around in the snowy winter time landscapes feels so much more real than any other similar game. It actually managed to drag up some old memories of dark, snowy winter nights that I've enjoyed. Very convincing.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night. Driving in the snow at night in Mafia 2 is some of most impressive atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. The cast from the old-fashioned streetlights is absolutely perfect.

Top Bottom