• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

derFeef

MMaRsu said:
Goddamnit they put a fucking embargo on the sale date of this game here in the netherlands... I cannot believe this shit. Gotta wait for friday while the stores already have the games.. CHRIST.
Euro release date is Friday.

MMaRsu

derFeef said:
Euro release date is Friday.

oh I know, it's just it pisses me off that almost every store already has the game.

It's not like there is a big marketing campaign behind this game or anything.

Kayhan

It is so annoying that we in europe always get the game on fridays when NA gets in on tuesdays. I just loooooove coming on gaf for 3 days and reading about these game impressions.....*sulks*

MMaRsu said:
oh I know, it's just it pisses me off that almost every store already has the game.

It's not like there is a big marketing campaign behind this game or anything.
have you tried calling different shops?

MMaRsu

Always-honest said:
have you tried calling different shops?

Called pretty much all shops in the vicinity... Some MIGHT sell it tomorrow, but certainly not today. While they do have the game in stores. Pisses me off to no end.

MMaRsu said:
Called pretty much all shops in the vicinity... Some MIGHT sell it tomorrow, but certainly not today. While they do have the game in stores. Pisses me off to no end.

A call the shop I have preordered the game and they told me it would probably arrive tomorrow (they are friends so I believe them and they always sell me the games when they arrive), but the thing is, as a PC player, even when I buy it tomorrow, can I play it, or will I have to wait until friday ir some shit like that?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Loving it so far. The world may be empty in terms of things to do, but it feels much richer than most games featuring large, open environments.

How's the PC performance for everyone? I'm still seeing a bit of odd jittering at random times while playing. Not HDD access nor framerate drops (FRAPS always reports 60 fps), but it is slightly distracting.

derFeef

As this is a Steamworks game - doesn´t Steam decide when the game is available, even if you have the boxed version?

MMaRsu

derFeef said:
As this is a Steamworks game - doesn´t Steam decide when the game is available, even if you have the boxed version?

For PC yes, for 360 no :p. Stores decide when I get to buy this game!

Façade

Neo Member
derFeef said:

Yeah, the European version would only unlock at 12:00am on Friday anyway.

I hate Friday releases if you are going retail, though. Since I'll probably end up receiving it on Monday when they dispatch it on Friday.

coopolon

Shurs said:
I think it's great that you can get pulled over for speeding or hitting a car, but I'd like to have seen them also pull you over for running stop lights and signs. Your passenger will give you grief for running them.I know that too much realism would annoy some people but, as an option, I would have welcomed it.

I'm pretty sure you can get pulled over for running red lights. I seem to recall it happened a few times to me in the demo, and because of that whenever a cop is around I don't run the red lights in the actual retail release. I'll test it sometime today to see if I'm just making stuff up or not though.

DrBo42

coopolon said:
I'm pretty sure you can get pulled over for running red lights. I seem to recall it happened a few times to me in the demo, and because of that whenever a cop is around I don't run the red lights in the actual retail release. I'll test it sometime today to see if I'm just making stuff up or not though.
I passed a cop stopped at a red light, he didn't even blink.

MMaRsu

coopolon said:
Never happened in the demo to me..

LyR

Banned
first, I'm really into everything cosa nostra (movies, games , books etc.) you get the idea bla bla ... and I really loved the first Mafia game on PC

Every 2 years or so comes a game in which I'm really interested, and Mafia 2 is/was one of them. (usually videogames don't get my all hyped up anymore)

My hopes were pretty high since the first one had for videogame back in 2002 a good (videogames unlike) story, even by todays standards. Even though it borrowed from alot movies.

Mafia 2 though is a mixed bag. The gameplay good but the Story lacks substance and structure.

And my god the ending sucked a big one ... you can't even call it an ending. Let's pray that they don't do an UbiSoft like epilogue DLC ending.

The character instruction of the Mafia bosses was piss poor, everything happens way too fast like "who is this again", "why does he wants him dead" and "who was Luca again" (actually, most of them were just mentioned once)

I really loved the gameplay/missions, even the "boring" ones, because the music alone makes up for the long driving sequences.

to summarize the story

first few hours (the beginning) = very atmospheric, believable, felt fresh

the middle like 5 - 7 hours into the game = you really beginn to love the city & main characters, even though it shows it's weaknesses/illogicality here in there

last few chapters & ending = a complete U-turn ... unbelievably over exaggerated, full of cliches, trite, felt videogame'ish/out of this world compared to the strong first few hours and the good middle part, you really notice that the guys from 2k czech ran out of time

So story wise it's really a disappointment for me, unfortunately.

but I liked the stairway to heaven mission ... it was a nice joke for those who played mafia 1

derFeef said:

fuck_this_shit-1618.jpg

Can I install it without steam so I can play before friday?

Shurs

coopolon said:

I've been sitting at a red light behind a cop, turned past the cop car into the oncoming traffic lane and went through a red light with no problem, other than my passenger giving me grief over it.

dark10x

Shurs said:
I've been sitting at a red light behind a cop, turned past the cop car into the oncoming traffic lane and went through a red light with no problem, other than my passenger giving me grief over it.
That's definitely for the better. I'm sure they thought about red light violations but decided against it in order to avoid pissing players off (which surely would have happened).

So story wise it's really a disappointment for me, unfortunately.
This is a damn shame. I thought the ending and late game missions in the original were incredible. :(

Weenerz

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
fuck_this_shit-1618.jpg

Can I install it without steam so I can play before friday?

Nope, I bought this game Saturday and it didn't unlock till Tuesday. Wouldn't even let me install it since it needs some file from Steam to validate it.

Guess the demo was not optimized. Ran the Benchmark back when the demo released and got around 27 fps for 1900x1200 res with everything the highest (i7 920, 5870, 6 gigs of RAM). Just ran it on the game for shits and giggles and I got a constant 60 fps with dips to around 54 which is what I expected on my computer in the first place.

Might even try and run PhysX on my next playthrough :D . Damn Nvidia.

I only started playing last night and I'm already halfway through the chapters. Booo! It's a good game, but it's not great by any stretch of the imagination and worth a rent at best.

For anyone that was considering upgrading their GPU for Mafia 2 its worth noting that most GTX 470s are now shipping with a free Steam copy of Mafia 2. They were being sold for ~$350 just a month ago but now you can score one with custom cooling and a free copy of Mafia 2 for $280 after rebate, so effectively $230 if you were planning to buy the game anyway. Fantastic deal.

This card would be my pick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261073&cm_re=gtx_470-_-14-261-073-_-Product

They're about ~30% faster than a 1GB GTX 460 and also have an extra 280MB of RAM to call on which is bound to help in future. Considering a GTX 460 + a copy of Mafia 2 comes to $280 anyway, if you were going to buy one of them and are interested in the game then you might as well step it up.

slamskank

Just beat the game, final time 9:47 on my stats screen. Very disappointed with the length but I can't say I didn't enjoy myself. Not as good in story as the first.

I get a kick out of people who power through a game and then complain about the length and value of it. Kind of reminds me of folks who stare dumbfounded at a cheque after wolfing down a good meal - as if they forgot they had actually eaten. :lol

slamskank

CloakedPuppet said:
I get a kick out of people who power through a game and then complain about the length and value it. :lol
I didn't "power through" The game's core is missions, maybe some people spend hours trying on different outfits or shooting random people, but I didn't rush at all and died quite a few times.

slamskank said:
I didn't "power through" The game's core is missions, maybe some people spend hours trying on different outfits or shooting random people, but I didn't rush at all and died quite a few times.

I actually didn't even read your post - I was referring to one much earlier in the thread.

Jim

cjtiger300 said:
Well, I am up to Chapter 7 and I love it!

One interesting thing about the PS3 version, is the stage that made up the demo ran about a thousands times smoother in the retail release. Seriously, it ran so much better!!!

The final PS3 version definitely runs better than the demo. The framerate/tearing is much improved. The demo mission is also a bit different than the mission in the real game.

Also, the game is fairly easy on the Hard difficulty. Except when I had to
fight O'Neil twice in the prison. What a cheap bastard.
Not a huge fan of those parts. Some of the checkpoints are also a little misplaced.

Really enjoying the game though!

Just started Chapter 4 and loving it. Funny scene right now, I was laughing... :lol

I was trying to rob that Jewelery store and a fucking car rams into the store and Vito's buddy is like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!!!"

DrBo42

Just completed it. Really enjoyed the story and feel of the missions up until the end. The atmosphere of the game is consistently fantastic, but overall the game does have its flaws.
The gunplay never feels quite right, even when the big hitters are handed to you. I think it can be attributed to lacking sound design and AI hit reaction. The driving is great, but I think some people will dislike how much of it is required.

Activities in the city would have been nice other than robbing stores, and selling cars, and getting in trouble with cops (that's really all there is), but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. The city in the game seems to only exist to outfit you with what you need for the missions, and to throw in possible consequences for you to lose money, and I never really found that to be a bad thing simply because this game doesn't try to be a sandbox game. It's a very linear narrative focused game SET in an explorable city, not sure how else to describe it. The ending cutscene is the weakest part of the experience.

Mafia II does have some standout missions that really make you feel like a ruthless member of the mob, and live out the lifestyle, but most of the game doesn't reach those high points consistently. The biggest drawback here is the complete lack of replayability out of the box. It seems like the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC is coming by looking at the achievements on Steam and those point to a very "arcadey" free roam type experience, but there's really no excuse for the inability to cruise around the city after completing the story. If you're a fan of the first one, I think you'll enjoy what it has to offer, but for newcomers you really have to try and understand what this game is and isn't before you make the plunge. 7/10

Jenga

Banned
About to finish it. If you were in love with the original, this will be your GOTY.

Great characters, great atmosphere, and feels like a genuine Mafia movie made in videogame form. Yes, the story isn't as structured as solidly as the first, but this one is told differently, and I love it for it.

Two things about the writing in this game. I really like how raw the racism is and it goes a long way to help sell the era. I don't like how the game makes references to future events. Well, it borders on cheesy or lame.
I liked the bit about describing cartoons you control, but things like 'all your base are belong to use' and 'that's as unlikely as a black guy running for president!' made me shake my head.

oh, and about the length complaints, I'm not that far into the game but I also think it is ridiculous. The pacing of this game is much quicker than open world games like GTA4, RDR, and the first Mafia. There haven't been scenes where you drive for minutes and just talk to another character. Basically, there isn't a lot of fat.

Jenga said:
About to finish it. If you were in love with the original, this will be your GOTY.

Great characters, great atmosphere, and feels like a genuine Mafia movie made in videogame form. Yes, the story isn't as structured as solidly as the first, but this one is told differently, and I love it for it.

This will be nobody's GOTY, not even close. Even if you loved the first one, this sequel is nothing to write home about.

MortalMonkey said:
This will be nobody's GOTY, not even close. Even if you loved the first one, this sequel is nothing to write home about.

It will probably not be my GOTY, but how the fuck can you say that not even one person will consider it their GOTY? You even have the balls to say it as if you had the undeniable truth.
Leave other people's opinion alone!

Darkman M

If you like organized crime history,movies and games i think you will like this game, though i think being a bit more open and having activity's to do around the gorgeous city would have been huge for this game. There just isn't to much to do but the presentation is top notch.

I really liked the demo on PC. I was surprised at how fun the shooting was, and it looked nice. I don't mind that the game is short- I'm really not in the mood for a huge-ass open world game at the moment. If it works as a fun third-person shooter with good presentation and a well done old school mob vibe, it might be just the thing for me.

To those that have played the PC version- if I enjoyed the demo would it be fair to say the rest of the game will be fun as well?

Does anyone have any solid impressions of The Betrayal of Jimmy DLC?

Does it pretty much take the place of Extreme Free Ride or is it a completely different beast?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Whoompthereitis said:
I really liked the demo on PC. I was surprised at how fun the shooting was, and it looked nice. I don't mind that the game is short- I'm really not in the mood for a huge-ass open world game at the moment. If it works as a fun third-person shooter with good presentation and a well done old school mob vibe, it might be just the thing for me.

To those that have played the PC version- if I enjoyed the demo would it be fair to say the rest of the game will be fun as well?
Since when is a 9-12 hour game short? That's pretty much average.

Darkman M

Whoompthereitis said:

Yes, if you enjoyed the demo you'll enjoy the full game.

derFeef

eurogamer.de gave it an 8/10

in short, game is awesome for what it is, but a bit sad that it did not reach or extend the milestone that Mafia 1 was. Excellet review.

dark10x

Hmph, so there is actually a bit of an issue with ATI cards. First game in a while that has given me trouble. Basically, in fullscreen mode, there is a very slight stutter effect that occurs most of the time. Turns out it disappears completely in windowed mode.

While this stutter occurs, the framerate is always reading at 60 fps.

Very odd.

derFeef

dark10x said:
Hmph, so there is actually a bit of an issue with ATI cards. First game in a while that has given me trouble. Basically, in fullscreen mode, there is a very slight stutter effect that occurs most of the time. Turns out it disappears completely in windowed mode.

While this stutter occurs, the framerate is always reading at 60 fps.

Very odd.
Do you have crossfire? Have you tried the new 10.8s drivers?

kinggroin

Banned
Heads up for PC/ATI users. New Catalyst drivers released and full xfire support is in for Mafia II.

Get 'em at the usual places.

Smokey

Game just arrived in the mail for 360 from Gamefly!

Yes I know console versions lolz, but I couldn't wait until early next year when I get my PC to play this :/

dark10x

derFeef said:
Do you have crossfire? Have you tried the new 10.8s drivers?
Tried new drivers, same problem. Not using Crossfire.

Fortunately, the solution for me is simple; run in windowed mode and enable overscan on my TV. Completely eliminate the tiny bar at the top of the screen and looks virtually the same as fullscreen. :D

Shouldn't have to do that, but I'm glad it's that simple.

Top Bottom