• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Shurs

dark10x said:
The atmosphere is also killer in this game. Driving around in the snowy winter time landscapes feels so much more real than any other similar game. It actually managed to drag up some old memories of dark, snowy winter nights that I've enjoyed. Very convincing.

Driving as the snow falls with "Baby, It's Cold Outside" playing on the radio was great.

heringer

MMaRsu said:
1qsf2r.jpg
I think it's obvious that you can't judge both games under the same parameters since they try completely different things and are meant for vastly different audiences.

Not that I agree with Mafia 2 score.

As someone who liked the demo, has the game pre-ordered and will dedicate most of tomorrow to playing it, I fully expect it to be around a 7. But I use the 1-10 scale, not the 7-10 scale, so...

FlyinJ said:
Dear god is this gas stamps driving mission pissing me off. I would have no problem doing it if it wasn't for the stilted unabortable cutscene that plays and lets the clock keep ticking every time you drop off stamps.

Anyone have some tips on how to get past this crap. What is it with Illusion and making ridiculously hard "race" missions.
I sold all 6 gas stamps and I had a minute left on the clock.

What you need to do is get the ones on the same island as where you are starting with the one closest to you, then go clockwise to all the gas stations around you and for the sixth one you will have to go through a tunnel. This is on the lower left of your map.

If you guys need a more detailed explanation, let me know. I will start the game up and give more precise information.

Jenga

Banned
Just finished it.

Excellent game.

I understand why people have problems with the ending, but
as long as it guarantees Mafia III with Vito and Joe? I'm not complaining! ...unless it's DLC. If it's DLC epilogue, I'm going to bitch up a storm

This game is my GOTY so far because it's one of the few singleplayer games where I had to stop myself playing. So damned fun.

Diablos

Played the demo... I thought it was going to suck, but honestly, I'm quite impressed. Too bad it looks like poop on PS3. Might pick it up eventually.

Is anyone else having problems with their Amazon "Renegade Pack" bonus DLC codes for PS3? I have tried several times to enter it but I keep getting a "code may be expired or already in use" message.

Jenga

Banned
Out of curiosity is
Is "Boom Boom" supposed to play during the drive to the observatory? Fuck, things like this are the stuff that adds so much awesome shit to the game.

dk_

Played
chapters. Mafia 2 is absolutely brilliant and I can't understand how this game can be rated so low by some sites. That's just insane! :lol One of the titles you have to play this year.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MMaRsu said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/1qsf2r.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[url]http://uk.games.ign.com/ratings.html[/url]

[QUOTE][B]We Only Compare Games to Similar Titles on That Same Platform Near the Time of Release[/B]

For purposes of scoring titles, we only compare similar games on the same platform that are released around the same time period. Because every platform has very different technical specifications and because developers often become more adept at utilizing a system's full capacity later in the platform's lifecycle, it's impossible to directly compare a score on one platform to a score on a different platform, or a score from three years ago to a score given today.

Another factor that comes into play when we review games is that we only look at comparisons to other titles in the same or similar genres. For example, we don't use the standards of a modern adventure game as a benchmark for what it takes to make a solid sports game.[/QUOTE]

Salsa

Sorry yo quote myself, but:

SalsaShark said:
Yeah i guess that could be considered a spoiler Rated-Rsuperstar..

Allright so im 2 hours in and im really liking it so far. Thing is im getting some random framedrops, i would ussually blame my mid-end rig, but i dont know, they are really that: random, they dont happen when things get cluttered or anything like that, they´re just random, out of the blue, even inside of buildings when nothing´s happening.

Anyone else having this issue ?

Cant seem to find any similar case :/

MMaRsu

Man I'm in chapter 3 and I fucking love this game already

And I love that the original of THIS is in the soundtrack :D :D.

<3 this game

kamspy

Bought it.

Love it.

Want huge DLC. I'm talking GTA4 support.

You hear me 2K? I'm ready to give you $40 toward the Mafia 2 platform right now. I'd even love some little mission packs sprinkled in between.

I think a lot of owners are going to feel the same way. Come take our money now.

This game was amazing. There are only two problems I had with it.

First, there isn't a free ride mode. I guess you can reload an old chapter and just mess around before starting the mission, but it is pretty lame all things considered. It feels like a waste considering how much detail and nice little touches are thrown in. Things like cops interviewing witnesses after you rob the place, or watching two guys argue after a car accident, or the car customization, etc.

Second, the ending.
Really, the lack of. I guess we are supposed to feel like Vito is in an endless loop of working for, then getting fucked over by those with more power. Thent here are two scenes where you see him learning things about his father and you get the sense that there would be more comparisons between their lives, and Vito would be upset that he turned out like his deadbeat dad despite his efforts. What I got out of it was that the game ended too soon.

Between the two DLC packs we know of and the two things mentioned above, I feel like future DLC might be the reasoning for both. Though, I would be happy if they release Gay Tony or Lost and Damned type of DLC that reused the city as a setting for another story.

MMaRsu

kamspy said:
Bought it.

Love it.

Want huge DLC. I'm talking GTA4 support.

You hear me 2K? I'm ready to give you $40 toward the Mafia 2 platform right now. I'd even love some little mission packs sprinkled in between.

I think a lot of owners are going to feel the same way. Come take our money now.

Agreed get me more awesome missions and I'm down. I'm talking new shit with good cutscenes and nice voiceacting, just hire some cheaper voiceactors that are new to the field but still good and make that shit super fast :p.

How big is the file size for this on Steam ?

I'm thinking of getting it off steam for the achievements instead of the store

i think the retail boxed version doesn't have any achievements at all.

derFeef

GringoLOCOo said:
How big is the file size for this on Steam ?

I'm thinking of getting it off steam for the achievements instead of the store

i think the retail boxed version doesn't have any achievements at all.
5951 Mb says steam info. And boxed version IS steam version, as this is a steamworks title.

eshwaaz

Flek said:
<Screen tearing pic>

That's easily my biggest issue with the visuals (360). The interiors are so gorgeous, detailed and atmospheric, then you turn the camera and the whole scene is destroyed by tearing.

leng jai

Few quick impressions of the CE:

- Packaging is excellent. Easily one of the most classy steelbooks I've come across with slick artwork and an embossed logo.

- Orchestral score is another great edition and unlike other CEs, it appears to be the complete score. Disc art looks nice with the mini vinyl look. Too bad there wasn't an actual case for it, only a slip with track names.

- Artbook is nothing special but you always knew that looking at the size. Still a step above the ones provided by Fallout 3/Mass effect 2

- DLC is mainly a cosmetic bonus which is fine as I don't believe standard edition buyers should miss out on gameplay.

- Haven't even opened the map but the paper feels nice I guess..

Just beat the game on Hard, did not like the ending as most people.

For those who are thinking about the difficulty, hard is quite easy compared to other games, there are few situations where it is challenging but the rest are quite simple. The ones that are actually hard are the long shooting sequences, however they can be beaten with a little frustration.

I say do it on Hard.

dk_

eshwaaz said:
That's easily my biggest issue with the visuals (360). The interiors are so gorgeous, detailed and atmospheric, then you turn the camera and the whole scene is destroyed by tearing.
Poor console fellows. :-(

Smokey

eshwaaz said:

the visuals aren't near as bad as i was expecting after the comparison thread. no shit the pc version looks the best, but the 360 version looks really good to me. i haven't really noticed too much tearing tbh, and i actually forgot about the issue until you just brought it up.

Zeliard

This game is so shockingly beautiful at times on the PC that I find myself having to blink and refocus my eyes at times.

Someone else said it perfectly earlier: "visuals with class." That's what I think of when I think of how Mafia 2 looks. Just classy.

leng jai

I've played both the PC demo at 1080p max detail and now the retail 360 version. Obviously the PC version looks significantly sharper and overall, a much cleaner image. To the 360's credit it holds up really well, retaining most of the detail and an acceptable framerate. Objects in the distance however are pretty blurry and the tearing is distracting at times.

All in all this is what I would expect from a good console port. I think its the fact that the PC version runs so well on mid range PCs (ie GTX460s) which highlighted the deficiencies of the console ports. That, and RDR's incredible showing on 360.

Yerolo

I hope 2K actually come to this thread and read some comments and not just their own forums. It would be quite disheartening if they judge player feedback over there...there must be like over 20 pages of negative posts.

At least here people are grown up enough to explain coherently why they dont like the game. Seems like that whole forum is full of 14 year olds (and it probably is)

Sidzed2

I hate to be a buzz-kill, but this one really disappointed me. It all looks quite spiffy, but the storyline is really hammy and abounds in cliche, the cover-based shooting is merely competent, the checkpointing is appalling and the mission design is unbearably lame. All of the faux-open world stuff just felt like padding. Either go open-world or keep it nice and focussed and lean, developers!

Mafia II isn't bad, just 'okayish' for me.

Max

I am not Max
Wait so now I have to either rob 50 more banks or crush 50 cars give or take just to make the other $25000 I owe? Really?

coopolon

leng jai said:
I've played both the PC demo at 1080p max detail and now the retail 360 version. Obviously the PC version looks significantly sharper and overall, a much cleaner image. To the 360's credit it holds up really well, retaining most of the detail and an acceptable framerate. Objects in the distance however are pretty blurry and the tearing is distracting at times.

All in all this is what I would expect from a good console port. I think its the fact that the PC version runs so well on mid range PCs (ie GTX460s) which highlighted the deficiencies of the console ports. That, and RDR's incredible showing on 360.

Does it look significantly better than it did on the demo on console?

I also got very good performance on my 4850 at 1080p, I am very impressed with how this does on pc.

leng jai said:

Unless the retail version is completely different to the demo then there's nothing "acceptable" about its framerate. Hovering around the 20fps mark in action scenes while tearing like a motherfucker is far beyond the realms of "average" or "decent." Console players deserve more than that.

burgerdog

Max said:
Wait so now I have to either rob 50 more banks or crush 50 cars give or take just to make the other $25000 I owe? Really?
You didn't pick up $25,000 from the desk? I apologize if you did and you do in fact need an additional $25,000.

Max

I am not Max
burgerdog said:
You didn't pick up $25,000 from the desk? I apologize if you did and you do in fact need an additional $25,000.
Yea I got it. Is there a way to quicken this process? I'm only getting around $400 each car crushed :(

heringer

Just finished. Good game. Not nearly as good as the first one though.

I thought the story was lacking. It's very run of the mill gangster stuff, and not particularly well told. Characters are underdeveloped and the narrative is kinda of a mess. As far as videogames goes is still enjoyable though.

The game plays really safe, but everything it does, it does well. Mission design is very good for the most part, but they are all outshined by the best missions of the first game.

Anyway, pretty solid overall, I liked.

Max said:
Yea I got it. Is there a way to quicken this process? I'm only getting around $400 each car crushed :(

You will get another $25000 from your buddy as the story progresses. All I had to do was rob few stores and crush few cars. Robbing stores is not even worth the time, just stick with crushing the cars for any extra cash that you need.

burgerdog

Hit a game ending bug after the building escape with Joe in chapter 14. God dammit that is lame. Had to restart the entire chapter, not sure if I lost all my cars yet.

Top Bottom