• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Afrikan

^
I'm not a hardcore MAG gamer, but you sound like a troll...I've played the game since launch...stopped for a long while...started up again recently and just been using the Move controller....and haven't seen this

"desperately shoot the bunnyhopping asshole with your base weapon that does less damage than a water pistol only to have him shotgun you from halfway across the map."

it just seems like you are trying too hard.... how about you record your experience and show us.

Animator

Afrikan said:
^
I'm not a hardcore MAG gamer, but you sound like a troll...I've played the game since launch...stopped for a long while...started up again recently and just been using the Move controller....and haven't seen this

"desperately shoot the bunnyhopping asshole with your base weapon that does less damage than a water pistol only to have him shotgun you from halfway across the map."

it just seems like you are trying too hard.... how about you record your experience and show us.

How about you read the last two pages? I am not the only one complaining about the overpowered shotguns or the frequent system crashes when playing this game.

J-Rzez

- You can't "bunny hop" with any form of success anymore. It wasn't "that" strong before, and it's certainly even worse now to do it.

- If you choose to spawn at a far away spot, you're not quick enough selecting a different loadout, then you're at fault. Despite how large the maps are, I never-ever had to run 2minutes to get anywhere. Even on final stages of dom and they were smart enough to take out the choppers, apcs, and/or rebuild their AA, spawning at the original spot. 1 minute TOPS if you're in super heavy armor which is the slowest in the game.

- Lag happens very seldom anymore. I only experience it at random times, or when you're playing with a bunch of people from other parts of the world.

- Aiming I can't comment on Move, though, many have said it's the best implemented waggle wanding in a shooter to date.

- Aiming with standard controller is perfect, it's just the lack of auto-aim that has many people miffed. It's not CoD where your reticle and or bullets magically hit people you're not aiming at.

- Crashes have been happening far too frequently for my tastes, but it has happened before, and they have fixed it in the past quickly.

- Zipper has supported this game the best out of any other console developer to date. They can arguably be said that they supported this game better than even PC devs as well. They also support the community the best as well.

- Shotguns are way too strong ATM, but if you played the game at other times, you'd know that Zipper will address this issue, and rather quickly at that. There was some severe balancing done in just their most recent beta, drastically fixing the major problems. Just shotguns are too strong/accurate at range now as they upped all weapon damage as a whole, due to the knifer complaints.

Either way, Zipper has learned a great deal from this. If they are to make a successor to MAG, in which I hope they do, we could probably expect a similar jump in overall quality that games such as Uncharted 2 has seen. With these lessons learned, I think that if Sony would throw some more support at them for MAG 2, it can easily reach "definitive" status as a shooter. Easily.

Kogepan

Lagspike_exe said:
I'd actually prefer if they would focus on SOCOM for the rest of the generation and leave MAG 2 for the PS4.

I'd prefer if Sony would dump these guys and focus their energy on the Kilzone franchise or another IP. The ENDLESS tweaking is abosolutely infuriating....I mean whats the point of tuning weapon damage 8+ months after release when the user base is so small?

Furthermore, the game is MUCH MUCH MUCH more buggy after all these patches compared to when it was first released. Just right now, i'm been dumped out of 4 at the menu due to (14:5, 13:5) connection issues...and the one game I was able to join locked and required a hard reboot of my PS3.

(silently waiting for GT5. God I wish I had more money to buy other games...)

Kogepan

Afrikan said:
^

Have YOU tried playing since the 2.0 patch? Its completely messed up now.

He did forget to mention that server stability is utter crap, plus they introduced hard lockups on the PS3.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I haven't touched MAG in probably 4-5 months. Thought the playerbase would be split because of the paid DLC. Booted it up today, patched it up, and wow wtf it's like a brand new game loadout/skill wise. It was nice to see what they did to it, and considering the game hasn't even been out for a year I appreciate all the revamps and support. Other than that though, it was the same old MAG for me. Not that many people on, more Sabotage games than anything, gettin hit from a million miles away. Still had a blast with it. I did get a hard lockup while playing a dom map but from reading this page it seems that's a bug now? Now the question is should I even bother with the DLC as it looks like I can still enjoy the same MAG without it.

Btw..I vetted twice and got on Raven during the big SVER migration. Is everyone on GAF still playing SVER? If there's any Raven left send me an invite (same PSN name as this name). Otherwise I guess I'll head over to SVER..eventually.

theBishop

Banned
worldrevolution said:
gettin hit from a million miles away.

One important thing about Mag is being aware of your environment. If you play as a sniper for a while, you'll see that Zipper puts a lot of work into line of sight. Snipers are powerful, but the good sniping "perch" spots always have a limited area of visibility.

As assault class, you can avoid getting shot from miles away by taking cover, going prone, and throwing smoke to get from point to point.

Many people like to snipe in this game, and running out in the open will get you shot most of the time.

J-Rzez

Kogepan said:
I'd prefer if Sony would dump these guys and focus their energy on the Kilzone franchise or another IP. The ENDLESS tweaking is abosolutely infuriating....I mean whats the point of tuning weapon damage 8+ months after release when the user base is so small?

Once again, it's basically a learning experience for them with this type of game. I never saw people so pissed before that a developer is supporting and balancing their game this many months later. Yes, the lock ups are annoying, but they'll fix it again, as they're still supporting the game.

Sony won't "dump" Zipper due to the fact that they're a proven developer, and they make great games. They've shown they care about their games and their community. Far better than GG games ever has. AND, MAG is a better overall shooter than KZ2. Maybe KZ3 will top it, who knows, we'll find out.

Zipper is also working on the "other" big name shooter franchise as well, SOCOM. We'll see how that one turns out.

patsu

worldrevolution said:
So I haven't touched MAG in probably 4-5 months. Thought the playerbase would be split because of the paid DLC. Booted it up today, patched it up, and wow wtf it's like a brand new game loadout/skill wise. It was nice to see what they did to it, and considering the game hasn't even been out for a year I appreciate all the revamps and support. Other than that though, it was the same old MAG for me. Not that many people on, more Sabotage games than anything, gettin hit from a million miles away. Still had a blast with it. I did get a hard lockup while playing a dom map but from reading this page it seems that's a bug now? Now the question is should I even bother with the DLC as it looks like I can still enjoy the same MAG without it.

Btw..I vetted twice and got on Raven during the big SVER migration. Is everyone on GAF still playing SVER? If there's any Raven left send me an invite (same PSN name as this name). Otherwise I guess I'll head over to SVER..eventually.

I have been on Raven since day 1. Still a Raven today.

Click

Banned
Kogepan said:

Furthermore, the game is MUCH MUCH MUCH more buggy after all these patches compared to when it was first released. Just right now, i'm been dumped out of 4 at the menu due to (14:5, 13:5) connection issues...and the one game I was able to join locked and required a hard reboot of my PS3.

(silently waiting for GT5. God I wish I had more money to buy other games...)

LMAO

I tried to reason with your trolling, but enough is enough. It seems like you've already gotten your money's "worth" out of MAG, seeing as how you've completed over 800 matches in this game already. So I don't understand why you're hating on MAG and Zipper so much, why you're telling people MAG isn't even "worth" $18 when you yourself have played the shit out the game, and why you're constantly trolling this thread recently. If you hate MAG and Zipper so much, just quit the game and stop flaming them in every fucking post you make here. We get it. You're a GG / KZ fanboy and hate Zipper / MAG for actually caring enough about the game and its fans to patch all the flaws of the game and constantly adding new content. You've said it about 3 or 4 times already.

Even when I was criticizing KZ2 back in the day, I was posting legitimate flaws about the game that GG NEVER fixed. They didn't give a fuck about that game nor the playerbase / fans. They basically tossed out some half-assed patches that had changes nobody asked for and gave us a piece of shit DLC with shitty maps. Then they went straight into making KZ3, immediately "dropping" KZ2 and its fans. KZ2 was fun for a while and I really liked many aspects of the game while I played it, but it pales in comparison to MAG and to the support Zipper has given this game. I never said something so ridiculous like "Sony should dump GG and focus on MAG or SOCOM." If I had said something so ridiculous, I would've been flamed even harder than I already was in the KZ2 thread. GAF's love affair with KZ2 and now KZ3 is laughable. It shows how many people on this forum are just graphic whore fanboys and not "true gamers."

GG and Zipper are Sony's only two first party developers for online shooters, now that Insomniac is no longer exclusive to the PS3. You really think they're going to "dump" their own company that makes great games in which a lot of people loved and have bought, just because some douchebag like you is crying about it on GAF?

Kogepan

Click said:
LMAO

I tried to reason with your trolling, but enough is enough. It seems like you've already gotten your money's "worth" out of MAG, seeing as how you've completed over 800 matches in this game already. So I don't understand why you're hating on MAG and Zipper so much, why you're telling people MAG isn't even "worth" $18 when you yourself have played the shit out the game, and why you're constantly trolling this thread recently. If you hate MAG and Zipper so much, just quit the game and stop flaming them in every fucking post you make here. We get it. You're a GG / KZ fanboy and hate Zipper / MAG for actually caring enough about the game and its fans to patch all the flaws of the game and constantly adding new content. You've said it about 3 or 4 times already.

Even when I was criticizing KZ2 back in the day, I was posting legitimate flaws about the game that GG NEVER fixed. They didn't give a fuck about that game nor the playerbase / fans. They basically tossed out some half-assed patches that had changes nobody asked for and gave us a piece of shit DLC with shitty maps. Then they went straight into making KZ3, immediately "dropping" KZ2 and its fans. KZ2 was fun for a while and I really liked many aspects of the game while I played it, but it pales in comparison to MAG and to the support Zipper has given this game. I never said something so ridiculous like "Sony should drop GG and focus on MAG or SOCOM." GAF's love affair with KZ2 and now KZ3 is laughable. It shows how many people on this forum are just graphic whores and not "true gamers."

GG and Zipper are Sony's only two first party developers for online shooters, now that Insomniac is no longer exclusive to the PS3. You really think they're going to "drop" their own company that makes great games in which a lot of people loved and have bought, just because some douchebag like you is crying about it on GAF?

So, playing for X number of hours means you cant complain about a game?

Also, patches that introduce server stablility and system crashes should not be complained about, 8 months after the fact?

Wildly changing game balancing and map structuring with absolutely no goal should also not be complained about?

Look, MAG could have been a really awesome game, if this was handled by competent developers. THe 256 player matches were awesome. But the tweakying and twiddling Zipper are doing are making the game less and less fun.

But I should shutup now cause apparently I not allowed to complain.

Click

Banned
Kogepan said:
So, playing for X number of hours means you cant complain about a game?

Also, patches that introduce server stablility and system crashes should not be complained about, 8 months after the fact?

Wildly changing game balancing and map structuring with absolutely no goal should also not be complained about?

Look, MAG could have been a really awesome game, if this was handled by competent developers. THe 256 player matches were awesome. But the tweakying and twiddling Zipper are doing are making the game less and less fun.

But I should shutup now cause apparently I not allowed to complain.

Apparently you didn't read my post and many of my other posts where I clearly said multiple times that everybody (including myself) complains about MAG's flaws all the time. I never said you're not allowed to complain about the game so stop putting words in my mouth. The difference between complaints / constructive criticism and out-right trolling and flaming is the fact you're telling people this game isn't "worth" $18, that Sony should "dump / drop" Zipper and focus on the KZ franchise, and that MAG is now "ruined" because of the 2.0 patch.

All of the things you're "complaining" about, I've already listed way before you did. You don't see me flaming Zipper like you have been doing recently. You don't see me posting the ridiculous things you have been posting. You don't see me claiming this game isn't "worth" the money people are paying for it. I understand you hate MAG 2.0, but like I've said a dozen times already, Zipper will patch it again once they get feedback (forum bitching) on what they should change. I also don't like the fact that they're making so many changes to the shooting mechanic and weapon damage in every patch, but 2.0 isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Redbeard

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Once again, it's basically a learning experience for them with this type of game. I never saw people so pissed before that a developer is supporting and balancing their game this many months later. Yes, the lock ups are annoying, but they'll fix it again, as they're still supporting the game.

Sony won't "dump" Zipper due to the fact that they're a proven developer, and they make great games. They've shown they care about their games and their community. Far better than GG games ever has. AND, MAG is a better overall shooter than KZ2. Maybe KZ3 will top it, who knows, we'll find out.

Zipper is also working on the "other" big name shooter franchise as well, SOCOM. We'll see how that one turns out.
This is a joke right?

Killzone 2 is so much better than MAG it's not even worth discussing.

I'm liking the Move controls now that I've learnt not to use iron sights :lol I just can't seem to aim properly with them. Bullets seem to go where I point so they aren't too much of a loss I guess.

Click

Banned
Baloonatic said:
I'm liking the Move controls now that I've learnt not to use iron sights :lol I just can't seem to aim properly with them. Bullets seem to go where I point so they aren't too much of a loss I guess.

I understand a lot of new MAG players are using the Move to play this game, that it's a cool new way to play online shooters, and that it's actually a very accurate peripheral. However, to all new MAG players, you should try using the DualShock 3 to play MAG too. If you're having trouble with the Move, the DS3 might be a better fit for you guys. I've had no issues with the DS3 the past 9 months, neither has all the good / great MAG players. Maybe you'll enjoy the game more if you're using the default controllers to play this game...

Click said:
I understand a lot of new MAG players are using the Move to play this game, that it's a cool new way to play online shooters, and that it's actually very accurate piece of hardware. However, to all new MAG players, you should try using the DualShock 3 to play MAG too. If you're having trouble with the Move, the DS3 might be a better fit for you guys. I've had no issues with the DS3 the past 9 months, neither has all the good / great MAG players. Maybe you'll enjoy the game more if you're using the default controllers to play this game...

Yeah I will do. I was in the original beta so know that it controls fine with the DS3, it just seems that Move has a slight learning curve which I'm trying to get past fully before comparing the two properly.

Fun game though, I like all the changes since the beta.

J-Rzez

Redbeard said:
This is a joke right?

Killzone 2 is so much better than MAG it's not even worth discussing.

Zipper has supported, and constantly supported/cared/listened to the community since the beta of MAG prior launch. They didn't slack that at all. No other dev has done such this gen. If anything, Zipper has proven to seemingly care the most about their games than anyone else in this segment, like it or not. And that certainly includes GG, who let their game turn into a barren wasteland like many devs have this gen. Even the big sellers like CoDs have received jack-shit for support.

Many developers can learn a few things from Zipper as far as support of their game and community goes. Nearly a year later, the game is still evolving, a work in progress. No one else has been doing such. There's no dispute that Zipper deserves a pat on the back for this.

JWong

Banned
I'd like to go play MAG again, but if I'm to put in any investment on my character, I want to know if they balanced the faction's maps.

I might have to reroll SVER from Raven if I want any progression.

Edit: Is this happening anymore?

Anerythristic said:
bunker.jpg

Click

Banned
JWong said:
I'd like to go play MAG again, but if I'm to put in any investment on my character, I want to know if they balanced the faction's maps.

I might have to reroll SVER from Raven if I want any progression.

Edit: Is this happening anymore?

Zipper balanced a lot of the Domination maps and even nerfed SVER's Acquisition map so that APCs can now drive around everywhere, not having only 1 path (the bridge) they used to have to drive through. Raven's Dom. map was completely overhauled to make it much tougher to attack now, especially in a few quadrants. Zipper also nerfed SVER's Dom. map even more than already did with patch 2.0. They added more walls and shit everywhere, made defending the letters a bit tougher, and also moved up the helicopter spawns much further. This is both good and bad because it makes it easier for SVER to shoot down the helos but it also gives the forward spawning team a much easier time getting to SVER's letters. You basically run 5-10 seconds from the helos and you're at SVER's letters.

A lot of good players and clans went over to Raven last month because of their overpowered and unfair damage bar advantage, along with the fact they have held the Interdiction contracts (faster reuse timer for all leadership abilities) for the entire month because nobody played Interdiction. Now that Zipper made the damage bar rate go back to normal and "un-nerfed" SVER's weapons (or rather, made all weapons do crazy damage), SVER has been holding the Dom. contracts again. But overall, Raven has much better blue dots and clans than they did a month or two ago.

That image is funny but it was never really like what it portrayed (plus, there's only 4 bunkers, not 6) if you were on a good team. As long as your team was half-decent and knew to sweep from the side bunkers, SVER's frontline can be easily defeated. If your platoon is retarded and keep trying to attack SVER's frontline from the middle or is spread out everywhere, then yeah, it's basically a 30-minute target practice for SVER. Same could be said of any map where your platoon is less talented than the opposing team.

JWong

Banned
Click said:
Zipper balanced a lot of the Domination maps and even nerfed SVER's Acquisition map so that APCs can now drive around everywhere, not having only 1 path (the bridge) they used to have to drive through. Raven's Dom. map was completely overhauled to make it much tougher to attack now, especially in a few quadrants. Zipper also nerfed SVER's Dom. map even more than already did with patch 2.0. They added more walls and shit everywhere, made defending the letters a bit tougher, and also moved up the helicopter spawns much further. This is both good and bad because it makes it easier for SVER to shoot down the helos but it also gives the forward spawning team a much easier time getting to SVER's letters. You basically run 5-10 seconds from the helos and you're at SVER's letters.

A lot of good players and clans went over to Raven last month because of their overpowered and unfair damage bar advantage, along with the fact they have held the Interdiction contracts (faster reuse timer for all leadership abilities) for the entire month because nobody played Interdiction. Now that Zipper made the damage bar rate go back to normal and "un-nerfed" SVER's weapons (or rather, made all weapons do crazy damage), SVER has been holding the Dom. contracts again. But overall, Raven has much better blue dots and clans than they did a month or two ago.

That image is funny but it was never really like what it portrayed (plus, there's only 4 bunkers, not 6) if you were on a good team. As long as your team was half-decent and knew to sweep from the side bunkers, SVER's frontline can be easily defeated. If your platoon is retarded and keep trying to attack SVER's frontline from the middle or is spread out everywhere, then yeah, it's basically a 30-minute target practice for SVER. Same could be said of any map where your platoon is less talented than the opposing team.
Well, balancing sounds good.

Ideal situation would defeat any faction on any map, but you never run into the ideal team make up with people cooperating 100%. Therefore it is unbalanced under those terms. I remember I was soley responsible for pushing SVER forces back by going straight in and taking their objectives on Domination. No one else would follow me.

Kogepan

JWong said:
Well, balancing sounds good.

Ideal situation would defeat any faction on any map, but you never run into the ideal team make up with people cooperating 100%. Therefore it is unbalanced under those terms. I remember I was soley responsible for pushing SVER forces back by going straight in and taking their objectives on Domination. No one else would follow me.

Based just on the progress bars of the three factions for Domination...NO. SVER/Valor roughly equal and Raven....way way behind. Like i mentioned before, most games with Raven as defender end in less than 14 minutes.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So just to check again..is GAF still on SVER or is it spread around now? Would love to hook up with some of the old vets again but to be honest I always have a good time in MAG alone as well. I'm on Raven as of now but willing to go wherever.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Man said:
You are a dinosaur Click and we are... the cure.
:lol For what it's worth, I got the reference.

I own and play both quite regularly. Killzone 2 is a wonderful bit of fun, but it does feel unfair comparing it to a game whose main selling point is large-scale 256-player battles. The frame rate in K2 drops when you hit the 24 player mark because it's pushing for deferred lighting, destructible environments, AI-driven bots, higher poly character models and so on... it's a whole other, more visceral, cinematic beast. The best thing about it is how a domination match will segue seamlessly into an assassination mission, and the balance of power and map control is constantly in flux depending on how well each team utilizes all the classes.

MAG, meanwhile, borrows its sense of scale from an MMO or RTS, so it's only reasonable that people should adapt their expectations of the visual/aural presentation and technical performance accordingly. It does lack that narrative punch, and the controls have their quirks at the offset, but you get more out of it the longer you play to unlock new abilities, weapons and stat boosts. It's definitely a late bloomer, and as such only really makes a lasting impact with the patient. The move support has also just added an extra layer of intrigue.

Winner: Me. For being an FPS whore and playing both :p

X-Frame

Only thing I dislike is the ReSpec again.

During the beta I made sure to alert Zipper and everyone else that (at the time) the insanely high ReSpec's would hurt MAG and drive people away from being able to find what setup they like best, only to see that they have to get 50,000 more points to ReSpec again.

Well they reduced that a lot during the retail release, then reduced it again which I thought was perfect. So what if people banked 500,000 points and could ReSpec endlessly for hours? I don't understand how that affects the game.

I know what they have now logically should motivate people to play more, but in the end I feel it'll just frustrate people into dropping MAG if they make a mistake. They ReSpec, play a game only to realize they don't like their setup - now they have to play for an hour or so just to be able to correct it.

edgefusion

I'm thinking of picking up MAG sometime soon. Am I too late to get into it at this point? I'm worried I'll try playing only to get raped by thousands of uber-pros.

dazed808

5 games - 5 hard lock-ups. What a lovely way to spend my afternoon off....

Edit: Make that 6 in 6 fuck this I've had enough.

JardeL

dazed808 said:

That explains your sign-in/offs . :/ 2 times for me, and that's enough to quit. I love my launch 60GB more than MAG. Thanks for the good memories MAG.

To those shotgun n00bs; you're not gonna find anyone to shot at if you keep using that shit.

To Zipper; patch this shit asap or you'll lose your playerbase to other shooters. And don't ever make a gun that overpowered again. kthxbye

I had this game since the day it came out but never really gave it much of a shot. Thanks to the major update my interest is renewed. I'm still learning alot about how the game plays but had alot of fun with the game over the weekend.

Playing with Raven. Any gaffers that would like to meetup please add me to your friendslist.

PSN - neoJABES

Brannon

The Move makes MAG a very relaxing game, I think. Sure I'm still doing bad, but not AS bad as before, and now it's like I see a guy and he's dead because my wrist is just *twitch* bang.

The Conduit was very relaxing as well, so I'm definitely grooving to the rise of the pointer.

MAG 2.0 relaunch thread should be live tomorrow around this time. I wanted to post it this evening, but extra school hours completely exhausted me.

Click

Banned
dazed808 said:

You must be having extremely bad luck or something because 2.0 locks my PS3 up roughly 3-4 times after playing for 6-7 hours straight. It's still unacceptable and needs to be fixed asap, but I have no clue how you're freezing that often. Then again, I avoid Domination like the plague now because I know there's a good chance I'll freeze if I play that game mode.

Were you playing only Domination? Because I told everyone here that Domination is the game mode that freezes up the most often. Acquisition and Sabotage also freezes the PS3, but not nearly as often as Domination. I think there's a major bug in 2.0's code and it freezes EVERYONE'S PS3 that's in a game where certain players either disconnect or get bugged. So the more players that have a chance of disconnecting or having their game bugging out, the higher the chance it'll freeze all other players in the game with them. Domination has the most playercount, so there's the most chance your PS3 will freeze if you play it. This is just my theory on the PS3 freezing issue.

Lagspike_exe said:
MAG 2.0 relaunch thread should be live tomorrow around this time. I wanted to post it this evening, but extra school hours completely exhausted me.

I support anything MAG-related and a new MAG thread may bring some attention to the game on GAF. However, I just don't see the point of making another MAG OT when this one is sufficient. We're now just reaching 7,000 posts in this thread and that's pretty good for a game most of GAF quit and doesn't care too much about anymore.

I just don't see the point of making another OT for MAG. If you want to include the 2.0 changes, set something up with J-Rzez and have him change the OP a bit. It's not like he quit the game or doesn't update this thread like many other OPs in other OTs do. He's still playing MAG and still updating the OT whenever he can. Also, it's not like we're not talking about the 2.0 patch or the Move controller in here, because we are doing so everyday.

Are we going to let this thread die and start posting on the 2.0 thread?

dazed808

Click said:
Were you playing only Domination? Because I told everyone here that Domination is the game mode that freezes up the most often. Acquisition and Sabotage also freezes the PS3, but not nearly as often as Domination.
It was 4 x Dom and 2 x Sabo but I think you're right it's mostly Dom as I've had another 2 3* freezes this evening and most of my other freezes since 2.0 went live have been in Dom. I should really stop playing till they sort this out but I'm just desperate to end the Valor hell so I'm gonna keep pluging away.

* Looks like I'll be updating this number all evening at this rate :/ 3 hours with no crashes - woohoo!

Click

Banned
dazed808 said:
It was 4 x Dom and 2 x Sabo but I think you're right it's mostly Dom as I've had another 2 3* freezes this evening and most of my other freezes since 2.0 went live have been in Dom. I should really stop playing till they sort this out but I'm just desperate to end the Valor hell so I'm gonna keep pluging away.

* Looks like I'll be updating this number all evening at this rate :/

Yeah, it sucks but 2.0 is an extremely large patch for an extremely large online shooter. There was bound to be some bugs and glitches. I believe either the 1.06 or 1.07 patch also had this same problem when it first got released but Zipper fixed it in a week or two.

They really need to get a fix out asap because constantly freezing people's PS3s and wasting our time is complete bullshit. It also doesn't make a good impression on all the new gamers that have started playing MAG or all the returning players trying to see what 2.0 and the Move is all about.

dazed808

Click said:
It also doesn't make a good impression on all the new gamers that have started playing MAG or all the returning players trying to see what 2.0 and the Move is all about.

Yeah this is really important because if any game needs an increased player base, it's this one. As you said, long-term players have got used to a bit of instability after patches but we know Zipper will eventually sort it and all will be cool again until the next one. New and returning players are not going to be so forgiving and with the fear of YLOD hanging over a lot of older machines, a game that locks a machine so frequently is not going to encourage people to persist.

Anyway, I'm happy I got a good few hours unbroken play in tonight and my quest to finally leave Valor is only 8 levels from being over :D

Victrix

*beard*
Just started playing tonight with a friend for the first time

First impressions:
Cool music, UI looks good

Second impressions:
Spawn, run, run, run, die
Spawn, run, run, run, get sniped
Spawn, run, run, get sniped
Spawn, run, get sniped
Spawn, run, run, die

Third impressions:
Take sniper rifle
run, run, find perch, snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe

Need more playtime to form a more detailed feel for the game. So far I like everything about it except the, you know, actual gameplay. Need to see how the other game modes play once we unlock them.

dazed808

SolidusDave said:
uhm, why would you think software lockups and freezes would progress the YLoD?

Personally I don't but some people do and will be wary of games that have a reputation of frequent hard locks. I'm guilty of that irrational thinking myself sometimes and if a game locks/freezes too many times on my launch 60gb, I'll only play it on the living room 80gb "just to be safe".

Top Bottom