• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

sibarraz

Banned
You can change cards between your decks or you can only build your deck using the 9 boosters?

Still waiting for a blue/black deck, I don't get why in 2013 there wasn't one

What sort of playable game types will be available? Archenemy and Planechase were both kinda silly fun even if neither one was particularly well balanced.

ultron87

Say does Chandra look like a generic bald dudebro to anyone else in some of her nwe artwork?

I'm not really a huge fan of the CG version of her, but I like this art that seems to be the actual art for her new card:

DCw9csh.jpg

You can change cards between your decks or you can only build your deck using the 9 boosters?

Still waiting for a blue/black deck, I don't get why in 2013 there wasn't one

You can either play with one of the pre-built decks against the other decks or play sealed where everyone is playing from 9 boosters. You can't mix and match. And there totally is a blue/black deck this year as one of the base ten. (And there was one last year as DLC.) Not really sure if the one this year is any good though, since I don't really see how it wins games.

What sort of playable game types will be available? Archenemy and Planechase were both kinda silly fun even if neither one was particularly well balanced.

There isn't Archenemy or Planechase this year. I think Sealed took the "special game mode" slot. I believe Two Headed Giant is there as well.

There isn't Archenemy or Planechase this year. I think Sealed took the "special game mode" slot. I believe Two Headed Giant is there as well.

Two Headed Giant is nice, but I suspect it's not happening (and I suspect that the increased focus on microtransactions is going to stick with DOTP for a long time... sigh).

I mainly just play the campaigns anyway. Really bummed that in all of DotP 2013 (including all DLC) there was only one mono black deck (srsly, drastically overpowered DLC knight deck aside, DOTP 2012 was much more varied and much more balanced than 2013). Let's hope mono black gets some love this year.

chiablo

The 4-player Planechase in 2013 is what completely soured my opinion of Duels of the Planeswalkers. I hope it dies in a fire and they do something new and interesting in 2014.

J0dy77

Why do they insist on not providing the full block of cards? Would it really kill them to include the planeswalkers?

orion434

I always love when the next MTG DotP game comes out!!! People on this end tend to forget just how expensive paper MTG is. The 10 pre-con decks alone would cost $149.99, that's without the extra 30 cards you unlock per deck.

Zoibie

why oh why is this not on vita!

Perhaps WotC think that a handheld version of the game would mean fewer people transition from this to paper Magic, which is a lot more profitable in the long run. Sucks, but I get their rationale.

But yeah, Sealed is the only reason I'm excited about DotP14. I've only drafted once or twice but I wasn't happy with the decks I ended up with, so I'm hoping this mode improves my ability to build decks on the fly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Perhaps WotC think that a handheld version of the game would mean fewer people transition from this to paper Magic, which is a lot more profitable in the long run. Sucks, but I get their rationale.

Except they have made an iPad version... TWICE. So that logic doesn't hold water.

The 4-player Planechase in 2013 is what completely soured my opinion of Duels of the Planeswalkers. I hope it dies in a fire and they do something new and interesting in 2014.

Planeschase is gone. Just like Archenemy from '12 is gone.

They seem to be adding "gametypes" each year to show off things.

TheSeks

It's surprisingly healthy, though, sadly, New Extended is as dead as it has always been. Wizards have started supporting more non-competitive formats, like Commander (the old Elder Dragon Highlander) and Standard Pauper.

Yeah, but Commander and all that is $100 a pop just to play those modes, which is WTF.

If they're going to advertise it in DotP and want people to play it digitally in Online, they have to cut the costs to make it enticing to play.

That's kinda the problem I have with Online: The digital prices are slightly more expensive than the paper magic which makes no damn sense when it's digital and you don't own a real copy.

Edit: Whoops, double post. Didn't mean to do that.

ultron87

Last year was Planechase since they were putting out a bunch of Planechase decks as their summer boxed product. So they wanted to push that so maybe people would pick up some paper product as well. This year the summer product is Modern Masters, which doesn't really match up at all with the targeted audience for DOTP (ie "a booster costs how much?!?!") so it makes sense that they jumped over to Sealed this year.

It is actually a pretty smart marketing move since I'd guess that when you beat the sealed campaign there will be a little splash page that is like "Did you like playing Sealed? Well you can play it in real life at your local game store on July 14-15 for the M14 Prerelease!"

Zoibie

Except they have made an iPad version... TWICE. So that logic doesn't hold water.

Tablets aren't quite as portable as phones or handhelds, though. If they didn't have a problem with that, you'd think they'd have made it available on iPhone and Android by now; I can't imagine it would be too much work to get a scaled down version running on a smaller screen, if they really wanted to.

coopolon

Tablets aren't quite as portable as phones or handhelds, though. If they didn't have a problem with that, you'd think they'd have made it available on iPhone and Android by now; I can't imagine it would be too much work to get a scaled down version running on a smaller screen, if they really wanted to.

DoTP 14 is coming to android.

Last year was Planechase since they were putting out a bunch of Planechase decks as their summer boxed product. So they wanted to push that so maybe people would pick up some paper product as well. This year the summer product is Modern Masters, which doesn't really match up at all with the targeted audience for DOTP (ie "a booster costs how much?!?!") so it makes sense that they jumped over to Sealed this year.

It is actually a pretty smart marketing move since I'd guess that when you beat the sealed campaign there will be a little splash page that is like "Did you like playing Sealed? Well you can play it in real life at your local game store on July 14-15 for the M14 Prerelease!"

Maybe they'll do Vanguard or something in 2015? It's kinda ultra-casual but might still be nice.

I know it was horrendously balanced but I actually liked Archenemy a bit more than the super-casual (and incredibly goddamn slow) Planechase.

kodt

Banned
I think they should model it after real MTG tournaments and play but with simulated money.

So you start off with $50 or something to join a sealed tournament. You buy in and get your packs, build your deck and play. Winning will reward you with some packs and some more money, which an be used to buy boosters or enter into another event.

They could even allow online sealed tournements. Draft would be sweet too.

All cards you open, you keep. You can then use card you get and win from sealed events to build a standard deck and enter ranked tournaments.

The AI campaign can remain as a good way to introduce players.

I know some people will say "just go play MTG or MTG online" but damn if that isn't an expensive hobby.

mjc

Can't wait, I love playing these games. I might actually get pushed into MtG:O eventually...god I hope not.

I can see the sealed deck thing being abused horribly in multiplayer if there's a way to actually reroll by deleting your file, but yeah-- it would be nice if there was a single player only version where you could do it without resorting to that or microtransactions.

ultron87

I think they should model it after real MTG tournaments and play but with simulated money.

So you start off with $50 or something to join a sealed tournament. You buy in and get your packs, build your deck and play. Winning will reward you with some packs and some more money, which an be used to buy boosters or enter into another event.

They could even allow online sealed tournements. Draft would be sweet too.

All cards you open, you keep. You can then use card you get and win from sealed events to build a standard deck and enter ranked tournaments.

The AI campaign can remain as a good way to introduce players.

I know some people will say "just go play MTG or MTG online" but damn if that isn't an expensive hobby.

The sad truth is that "just go play MTG or MTG online" is exactly what Wizards wants people to do instead of playing DOTP forever as it is much more lucrative for them. Heck, just one draft online or in real life costs more than DOTP (though of course Wizards doesn't get all of that).

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt when stuff like Hex and Hearthstone come out that aren't tied to pricing their digital product to be competitive with paper.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Maybe they should make MTGO look like DOTP then.. pretty sure when I played MTGO back in 2002 it looked better than it does now.

daevv

Maybe they should make MTGO look like DOTP then.. pretty sure when I played MTGO back in 2002 it looked better than it does now.

I agree! Me and my group have been playing MTG since Revised and all say the same things when I bring up I play occasionally MTGO. Other than thew way it looks the main complaint is the clunky interface.

A few of us still play the old 1997 MicroProse MTG PC game because of the sealed deck tourny mode, some think it looks better than MTGO. I don't but I still play it. It still has mana burn which I like as it can speed games up.

TheSeks

Last year was Planechase

Yes, but I'm talking Magic '12 which released in '11. '12's DotP was "'13"/this year. But I guess you're saying that already, but just making it clear to people that aren't sure.

As for M:tG:O they have an "improved" GUI beta that has been there for like a year now. The problem is it requires WAY more power than the old Win9x-era Online GUI.

They both (IMO) look bad, but compared to DotP's "pretty" lag, they're both more functional than DotP.

@Kodt: Honestly, I really wish Online would make "casual" drafts and modes to practice before you jump into the paid-for tournaments. The problem with online is that it's VERY money intensive and harsh for people like me and you that just want to play the game casually and learn some stuff and maybe make a nice deck.

I mean it's online, so once you paid the $10 account fee they should be able to give you temp access to cards that you draft during the tournament and then remove/delete them from your account database once the draft is over. Like they aren't "real."

I mean I get the real/paper version costing money at a real store since you keep those but a digital/free draft shouldn't cost them much in server maintenance and stuff to run.

ultron87

I feel like Wizards is incredibly afraid of making a cheap way to practice drafting. If Phantom Drafts were cheap and readily available it'd probably significantly change the Magic Online economy by reducing the number of cards entering the system quite significantly.

iOS version here. Fucking psyched.

I read that this year it may be harder to get the promo unlocks that were made available last edition courtesy of Wizards own forums (and filtering out through other sites). If I can't get the last 10 additional promo unlocks for the decks imma be pissed.

TheSeks

I feel like Wizards is incredibly afraid of making a cheap way to practice drafting. If Phantom Drafts were cheap and readily available it'd probably significantly change the Magic Online economy by reducing the number of cards entering the system quite significantly.

They think reducing the price of the digital stuff will cut into the paper too much to be profitable. Which may be true, but I do think Wizards needs to take a good long look at the bigger picture and do a paradigm shift in regards to digital.

Thank you all for the replies. If the "bonus" is actually unlocking the deck, I'll hold off and buy it when it's available. Unlocking the cards through playing the game is quite a bit of the fun. Thank You!

Release Date and Platforms:
PSN: June 25th
XBLA: June 26th
Steam June 26th
iOS/Android: Some point around those dates.
Price: $10

iOS/Android is going to be on the 25th.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1259

PC/Steam: June 26, 2013
Xbox LIVE Arcade: June 26, 2013
Playstation Network (USA): June 25, 2013
Playstation Network (Europe): June 26, 2013
Playstation Network (Japan): June 27, 2013
Playstation Network (Asia): June 27, 2013
iTunes: June 25, 2013
Google Play: June 25, 2013
Amazon App Store: June 25, 2013

KuroNeeko

I went back and played through 2012 and 2013 this morning and maaaaaaaaaaaan, the decks in 2012 felt waaaay more balanced.

I was playing the B/W graveyard recursion deck and was just getting steam-rolled by Selesnya and Talrand. I guess I just need more unlocks. :/

BTW, what's with all the hate for the Planechase mechanic? The constant rolling was a bit of a chore, but I liked the randomness it added.

ElyrionX

Decided on the iPad version. Just made more sense to be lounging on my bed and couch than sitting at my desk while playing this.

Violet_0

Banned
Yes, it's perfect for beginners. It's designed to be a gateway drug to the paper game or Magic Online.

I've made the mistake of joining MTGO for a month a while back - never again. The DotP games are all the Magic I need

I hope there are some decent late game decks like the 5-color mana prism deck. And no Invisible Stalker (even though that was my favorite deck, that combo is just too broken), no Corrupt and please please please tell Crosswinds doesn't come back

Lord Phol

Loved 2012 while 2013 was a bit of a dissapointment. Will keep an eye on this but probably not purchase right away. The mono white (angel), sliver and mono black decks look interesting though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do we know which sets will be available for the booster drafts?

Cheech

Did they ever redesign MTGO? I tried it a few years back, and it looked like some straight up 1989 garbage.

I play Duels all the time, but it would be nice to come closer to "real" Magic.

DrTeflon

Day 1 on Steam and Android for me. Does anyone know if it will work on a SGS3 or its limited to tablets? Otherwise i'll just play it on my Galaxy Tab

Top Bottom