• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

ultron87

Do we know which sets will be available for the booster drafts?

It isn't any specific set. For the sealed play the boosters all contain cards from a ~180 card set that they put together for this game. The Wizards community started compiling a list from what has been seen in videos and whatnot: http://www.community.wizards.com/go...7/DotP_2014_Sealed_cardpool_discussion_thread

Just from that you can tell that it'll be a lot of Core Set main stays. At least most of the stuff in there looks relatively playable.

DrTeflon

I've been wondering this too, would be great to have some magic on the go.

Well, the last couple of days i`ve been playing some Shadow Era on my SGS3. Its not as great as having magic on my phone but at least its an alternative.

It has been far too long since I last played some MTG. Even though I own every DoTP I only played a couple of minutes each.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It isn't any specific set. For the sealed play the boosters all contain cards from a ~180 card set that they put together for this game. The Wizards community started compiling a list from what has been seen in videos and whatnot: http://www.community.wizards.com/go...7/DotP_2014_Sealed_cardpool_discussion_thread

Just from that you can tell that it'll be a lot of Core Set main stays. At least most of the stuff in there looks relatively playable.

Hm. I wonder if they might add another 180 card set for 5$ for whatever, considering they are so hugely pro-micro transaction. I'd probably bite.

Willectro

Banned
I was going to buy this tomorrow, but the micro-transactions for sealed play is unforgivable. I realize Wizards is ultimately trying to get people to play the paper TCG or MTGO, but holy shit what a cheap, petty company.

Here's hoping the main decks are pretty fun, because I'm going to be mostly sticking to that and basic-deck play online and ignoring the hell out of the drafting mode.

I'm also curious to see what the expansion will end up being like. Any chance they'd ever be able to introduce EDH to DOTP?

DrLazy

Anybody know if there will be a two-headed giant campaign???

My wife and I use to love that mode.... She's too chicken to play online.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OH BOY! Looks like they are doing a night time release so that you can get the game before tomorrow's downtime!

Banned site.

But nice if it's coming tonight. Guess I'll redeem my PSN money card and grab it tonight to play.

DrLazy said:
Anybody know if there will be a two-headed giant campaign???

It should be there. I don't see why they'd remove it since it was there in '09/'12/'13 wasn't it?

DrLazy

Banned site.

But nice if it's coming tonight. Guess I'll redeem my PSN money card and grab it tonight to play.

It should be there. I don't see why they'd remove it since it was there in '09/'12/'13 wasn't it?

It wasn't in 2013. They had two-headed giant, but not a two-headed giant campaign. Its a niche feature for some gamers, but its a big deal in my house.

Phreaker

I was totally pumped, but reading you only get to play two sealed deck games before buying another slot for $1.99....hmmm I dunno.

ultron87

I was totally pumped, but reading you only get to play two sealed deck games before buying another slot for $1.99....hmmm I dunno.

I was a little unhappy with it, but I'll still get way more value out of it than I did out of Planechase last year.

And I'm convinced that someone will figure out how to reset the slots on PC at least. And probably other platforms. I mean unless they make it require online at some point there has to be a file you can just delete.

ElyrionX

Someone got the 10 promo unlocks cards for each deck. They can be unlocked with codes (that are the same for everybody) that will given out at events but will probably actually just get brute forced or hacked out.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thr...otional_Unlock_Cards_List_for_Magic_2014?pg=1

Mind Maze's unlocks are ridiculous: Snapcaster Mage, Cryptic Command, Force of Will and Temporal Mastery.

What are promo unlocks? Can these also be unlocked through ingame play?

ultron87

This is up on the ios app store now in the US... Christmas came a little early.
Indeed it is! Here is the link as it wasn't showing up in search for me:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-2014/id536661213?mt=8

What are promo unlocks? Can these also be unlocked through ingame play?
So in addition to the 30 cards you can unlock normally for each deck there are ten codes that Wizards will give out at some point that unlock an additional card per deck. I think last year people just brute forced them or hacked them out of the files.

ElyrionX

So in addition to the 30 cards you can unlock normally for each deck there are ten codes that Wizards will give out at some point that unlock an additional card per deck. I think last year people just brute forced them or hacked them out of the files.

Wait. Is it one card per deck or 10 cards per deck? The list linked above shows 10 per deck.

And there are 30 cards to unlock per deck? That sounds like a lot.

ultron87

Download faster iPad!

Wait. Is it one card per deck or 10 cards per deck? The list linked above shows 10 per deck.

And there are 30 cards to unlock per deck? That sounds like a lot.
Ten codes. Each one gets you one card for every deck. And yeah, the thirty cards appear deck can take you awhile to grind through. But it means there is plenty of room for customization, which is nice.

ElyrionX

Ten codes. Each one gets you one card for every deck. And yeah, the thirty cards appear deck can take you awhile to grind through. But it means there is plenty of room for customization, which is nice.

Yeah but I played the shit out of the first and second DOTP and I didn't even unlock everything in those games. Would be nice if losing with a deck nets you an unlock as well.

KuroNeeko

Yeah but I played the shit out of the first and second DOTP and I didn't even unlock everything in those games. Would be nice if losing with a deck nets you an unlock as well.

Hell no!

I mean, I can understand where you're coming from, but I want to earn my unlocks. Having to win each one is great motivation to keep playing. If you want to unlock everything NOW then just pick up keys.

Sober

Had quite a bit of fun with 2012 but then I preordered 2013 and barely played it, even after grabbing the expack and deck packs. Still not sure if I really want to preorder this time around. Even if I do I probably will just avoid the sealed mode since it just is 2 slots and then pay to play.

I kinda wish the card pool was larger and you didn't get to keep the deck. Would be more interesting.

You can manually adjust your land count in any deck! Finally!
Even the prebuilt ones with unlocks?

Ken

I bought Avarcyn's Glory because I liked the art but I don't know much about Magic deck building. What are some sample decks I can make out of those cards?

Why is Scavenging Ooze at a much higher price compared to the other 2 promos? Is it because it's in the commander set and you gotta buy the set 4 times for a complete playset? lol.

TheSeks

Hell no!

I mean, I can understand where you're coming from, but I want to earn my unlocks. Having to win each one is great motivation to keep playing. If you want to unlock everything NOW then just pick up keys.

The grind gets a little old when saves on consoles are copy-protected and can't be backed up. Double-so when your console fails twice and you have to redo all your campaign and unlocks again.

I got burned out with '11/'09 and haven't had the heart to go through '12/'13/'14 despite buying them because of it. The grind to unlock cards and campaign takes a while.

It wouldn't be so bad if the unlock key was $.99 instead of charging like $5-8 extra for all the decks including the DLC decks having to grind unlock. Ugh.

TheSeks

Is there a 'complete' Edition on PSN that offers all decks?

It just launched?

So... no?

Wait a year or so and it'll have a bundle with the DLC more than likely, just like the past years.

Misread: You're talking about the past editions: Yeah, but if you've bought the game before that point you might as well buy the unlock keys piece by piece instead of piece meal since you save cash that way in comparison to buying the bundle which gives you the game/DLC you probably already have.

ultron87

The opponent decks in the sealed campaign seem fairly ridiculous. Liliana with bombs and removal all over the place. The sealed deck building interface seems pretty solid with the filters and stuff you'd want and opening boosters, even digital ones, is always fun.

And I am convinced that if I delete this app and re download it it will reset the sealed slots. But I haven't tried it yet. Though maybe it somehow sets you a specific random seed when you buy the app so you'll always get the same pools forever even if you delete your data. That's what I would have done.

Edit: And now I don't want to reset because my second pool is siiiiick.

RedBoot

Ugh. Was trying to win the first match against the AI in sealed and got myself into the usual "Attack with everything, cast Fog when they try to finish you on the next turn, then kill them on your next turn" situation. I attacked with my dudes, brought his life low. On his turn, he took the bait and attacked with all his creatures. I move to cast Fog...and the timer runs out before I can get the cursor there, stopping me from casting it and costing me the match. I thought I had all the options turned on to prevent something like that (I have to manually advance each phase, for pete's sake), but either I missed one, or there's no way to stop the timer on a declare blockers step when you have an instant in your hand.

It seems like every year I buy this, lose a match due to the interface, then get angry at the game. Good to know that hasn't changed. :(

Decent enough sealed pool, I had enough cards for a W/G deck with several bombs (Serra Angel, Angelic Arbiter, Gaea's Revenge), plus I have some land searching (Rampant Growth, Terramorphic Expanse) to thin the deck out. I'm worried that the Sealed Pool is kind of shallow (needs more variety in the commons) but hopefully the expansions will help with that.

zoukka

It seems like every year I buy this, lose a match due to the interface, then get angry at the game. Good to know that hasn't changed. :(

Yep, the game is unplayable to anyone with some experience with MTG. Playing the goblins deck was fun when you didn't have enough time on your turn to tap all the goblin tokens you made with Krenko...

The developers need a kick in the balls.

zewone

Yep, the game is unplayable to anyone with some experience with MTG. Playing the goblins deck was fun when you didn't have enough time on your turn to tap all the goblin tokens you made with Krenko...

The developers need a kick in the balls.
There's an attack with all creatures option now. :D

Pulled 4 shocks in my first sealed pool. GUESS IM GOING RED THEN.

Decided on Boros and won my first two duels on planeswalker difficulty. Epic second duel where I think both me an my opponent were topdecking with all our lands out. Poked him to death with that white 1/1 flier.

Say what you will about the nickel and diming, but damn if this sealed mode isn't the best addition to this game. Great fun.

blackflag

My first sealed pool is a godlike black and green deck with several black creature removal, a couple sick rare green creatures, support creatures, giant growths, rampant growths, sengir vampire, and some other sick shit. Only played against the ai so far but they can't touch me and I didn't even get anything useful in the 2 extra packs I unlocked so far.

Edit: actually I got a 7 cost rare black creature...gonna try him out.

KuroNeeko

You guys notice any difference between the PSN / XBLA communities? Which is more robust?

I played the last three installments (mostly SP) on XBLA, but with Sealed being a thing now I may want to mess around online with some gaffers a bit. I'm just not sure if it's worth picking up XBLA "Gold" again. If the PSN community is just as good then I'm heading there.

Top Bottom