• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

Card Boy

Banned
You guys notice any difference between the PSN / XBLA communities? Which is more robust?

I played the last three installments (mostly SP) on XBLA, but with Sealed being a thing now I may want to mess around online with some gaffers a bit. I'm just not sure if it's worth picking up XBLA "Gold" again. If the PSN community is just as good then I'm heading there.

I would say PSN because its usually free as part of PSN+ sometime down the line and tons of players have it.

Having said that i would go Steam for the text chat and big picture mode if you like that sort of thing.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The Android version seems ok on my Nexus 7 (it's a little bit slow like everything else). Online multiplayer is missing which made me wonder if anything else is missing.

zoukka

The UI is pretty damn terrible still on iOS at least. Playing spells is so damn cumbersome and I keep missing playing them because they just won't stick to the flick command or holding the card and then moving it towards the table. Such basic maneuvers shouldn't be so fucking stiff.

Not going to unlock this one.

bunbun777

Playing on ps3, the 1.01 patch is hardlocking my console on the loading screen exactly at the "Ignite your spark". Had to delete it. After the 2nd install went offline and played with the sealed campaign. Now currently reinstalling for the 3rd time and will try to bypass the patch and still go online. If I can't then I guess I will just play offline 'till it gets sorted out.

jiggles

Banned
I guess it's iPad for me, then. I'd rather use the PC interface, but a HDPI screen that I don't have to zoom in to read the cards on outweighs that.

If they'd just release a fucking Mac version, I wouldn't have to choose.

zoukka

I guess it's iPad for me, then. I'd rather use the PC interface, but a HDPI screen that I don't have to zoom in to read the cards on outweighs that.

If they'd just release a fucking Mac version, I wouldn't have to choose.

I warn you of the user interface it's goddamn slow.

coopolon

The Android version seems ok on my Nexus 7 (it's a little bit slow like everything else). Online multiplayer is missing which made me wonder if anything else is missing.

Edit: nevermind found it searching duels of the planeswalkers instead of magic.

1.2 gb holy smokes

Wonder if using titanium backup if that will allow me to get around the sealed play, it should work if save data is local

Nickiepoo

I just installed it on my SGS3

EDIT: Graphics are a mess, it isn't working properly...

EDIT2: Blocked my phone and back and now it's fixed

Works decently then? Nice.

EDIT: Didn't realise it was free + upgrade rather than outright paid, that makes things simpler.

ultron87

I warn you of the user interface it's goddamn slow.
I'm finding it snappier than last year. But part of that is due to them shortening the interrupt window, which I'm not sure if I like or not yet, since I need to see how it plays in multiplayer. There are some quirks to get used to (like I accidentally Rampant Growthed for nothing once) but beyond that it seems just fine compared to last year, which I played an ungodly amount of. If that interface wasn't your jam either you probably won't like it on iPad this year either.

DRZ

Real sealed tournaments uses just 6 booster, no pimping after that. The format is dotp is more akin to the league format, that is definitely less common IRL.

Btw what smr00 meant most likely is that dotp14 doesn't feature actual tournaments/leagues with other people, that indeed would've been a bit complex to handle, but definitely very satisfying...

marrec

Banned
Real sealed tournaments uses just 6 booster, no pimping after that. The format is dotp is more akin to the league format, that is definitely less common IRL.

Btw what smr00 meant most likely is that dotp14 doesn't feature actual tournaments/leagues with other people, that indeed would've been a bit complex to handle, but definitely very satisfying...

I'm going to stick with the excuse that they don't want to eat into their revenue from Magic Online. Booster Drafts with multiple real life people are one of the most compelling parts of M:tG and if you could get that experience for just 10 bucks on Steam with an interface that's miles better... I think they'd lose a few sales.

Also, it's pretty difficult planning out a tournament, maybe the user base is too small for it to make any sense? It would require at least 8 people with at least 3 hours to dedicate to it.

ultron87

So is it even possible to make a white weenie group anymore? Or will it cost a lot of extra $$?

Well the Avacyn's Glory deck in this game could pretty easily become a white weenie deck.

If you mean in paper Magic, there hasn't been a recent top deck in Standard that was pure white weenie because the last block that came out was multicolor. So you don't see many single color decks and the top aggressive decks have green and red these days. But you could probably combine a lot of the white human cards from the Innistrad Block like Champion of the Parish and Silverblade Paladin and maybe mix in some red for the faster Red/White cards from Return to Ravnica to make something that would be alright.

Of course this is all just in Standard.

What does Coolio have to do with a Scavenging Oooze?

That was my little joke about Scavenging Ooze being worth way more than the other two promos.

DRZ

I'm going to stick with the excuse that they don't want to eat into their revenue from Magic Online. Booster Drafts with multiple real life people are one of the most compelling parts of M:tG and if you could get that experience for just 10 bucks on Steam with an interface that's miles better... I think they'd lose a few sales.

Also, it's pretty difficult planning out a tournament, maybe the user base is too small for it to make any sense? It would require at least 8 people with at least 3 hours to dedicate to it.

Definitely this is the main reason. However the fact you pay to play on Magic Online is also a reason why people actually plays it. If they implemented the mode as it is in DOTP I'd see lots of people entering and exiting hundred of drafts just to get the right cards...

Anyway it is sad to see how they locked the sealed play... Would have been easy to implement a system that allows you to reuse a slot only if you complete the sealed campaign, that way they would have avoided people rouletting sealed and made fans much more happier... it will be for next year I suppose...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Don't they have sealed deck tournaments, or is that different from what is in it?

Sealed deck mode is only offline (although you can later take your deck and play online) and you cant draft with another player.

ultron87

Sealed deck mode is only offline (although you can later take your deck and play online) and you cant draft with another player.

You can play Sealed online. There just isn't any tournament structure.

Edit: Posted before your edit.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You can play Sealed online. There just isn't any tournament structure.

Edit: Posted before your edit.

Yeah, noticed it was misleading, sorry. What I meant was that the actual act of "drafting" and "Playing sealed" doesnt work the way online people would expect, because there is no Online Draft or simultaneous MP deck building.

Anyone have experience with how this is running on the 3rd generation iPad, the first retina one that was replaced last fall?

Last years was a bit chuggy, but I still enjoyed the experience on a tablet. I only hope it's not worse. I got to see the opening videos prior to work, and it seemed a bit choppy. It seemed to pause for a while as I loaded up the tutorial which I couldn't go through. It might just be par for the course, but I wanted to make sure it's playable.

Well, I'm playing it on 2nd gen iPad and it runs alright... except for a crash right as I was about to win first sealed deck duel :'(.

Probably could have done without some of the bad/cheesy particle animations.

Violet_0

Banned
Is it worth it to double dip for the scavenging ooze promo?

How much does it go for? The only thing that is holding me back is that I dont want to buy all the dlc twice

Toma

How much does it go for? The only thing that is holding me back is that I dont want to buy all the dlc twice

It might be worth getting the PC version alone for the multiple replays of the sealed deck campaigns without paying for unlockable slots.

ultron87

Honestly probably not. They are going for like 10 bucks right now, so you'd be breaking even at best (with the added benefit of another platform to play on). The card is getting reprinted in the M14 set which comes out soon, so that will likely drop the price even more. The only reason it was so expensive was that it was a playable card that was only ever printed in the Commander decks before now. It isn't guaranteed money like the Titans a few years ago were.

(I am not a Magic finance expert.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How soon are stores likely to have the promo packs in stock? Right away? Or probably not until after M14 releases?

By this weekend or next weekend at the latest. Or when M14 launches. Somewhere around that ballpark.

ZeroCoin

By this weekend or next weekend at the latest. Or when M14 launches. Somewhere around that ballpark.

Great. Missed out on the last promo packs since I was not play paper magics at that time. Definitely going to pick them up this time around.

bigkrev

Game runs like garbage on my ipad mini. Slows down to the point of priority passing before I even see my card drawn for the turn :(

Also, AI still doing some real dumb stuff, like Searing Spear to the head on turn 2 when I'm at 20, and using a Giant Growth on a creature that was going to survive combat already.

ZeroCoin

Also, AI still doing some real dumb stuff, like Searing Spear to the head on turn 2 when I'm at 20, and using a Giant Growth on a creature that was going to survive combat already.

Yeah, some very odd choices going on. Had an opponent giant growth in the first main phase, and then didn't swing with him.

Game seems to be running just fine on my GS3. I'm still getting used to controlling some things though. It's a little less intuitive than I would like.

ultron87

What difficulty are you guys on? I think it defaults to the easiest.

Going on previous games it usually makes decent but occasionally dumb decisions on the middle difficulty but when you put it to Planeswalker difficulty it starts getting ridiculous draws constantly.

ZeroCoin

What difficulty are you guys on? I think it defaults to the easiest.

Going on previous games it usually makes decent decisions but occasionally dumb decisions on the middle difficulty but when you put it to Planeswalker difficulty it starts getting ridiculous draws constantly.

When asked about how much magic I played I chose 'a lot'. But I hadn't purchased the full unlock so maybe it was still on the easiest. I hope that's the case. I'll have to check before I play another match.

ultron87

When asked about how much magic I played I chose 'a lot'. But I hadn't purchased the full unlock so maybe it was still on the easiest. I hope that's the case. I'll have to check before I play another match.

Yeah, I think it'll always go to easiest unless you blind purchase the full version upgrade before it even asks you that question. Which makes that question fairly stupid. (I just confirmed that this is what it does on the Android version.)

Shai-Tan

Banned
The easiest difficulty is definitely a lot worse. I've always played on planeswalker and it usually does what it should although it's predictable in the way it does it. Not sure if the ai on mobile is the same.

coopolon

Yeah, I think it'll always go to easiest unless you blind purchase the full version upgrade before it even asks you that question. Which makes that question fairly stupid. (I just confirmed that this is what it does on the Android version.)

This makes me feel realllly bad for losing the first match in the trial. Although when you only draw 4 forests, what can you do.

Last year I played on the hardest difficulty and I had no trouble winning most matches. I don't believe the computer is cheating by stacking the deck.

TheSeks

OH MY GOD the combat this outing is SO SLOW. Why does it have to show the cards and then calculate the damage one a time? I turned off card animations and battle effects (like I normally do) and the options didn't change that outing. I guess they do the next time you play a round. But still! WHY?

At least (so far) it doesn't "lag" like Magic '13 did on launch on PS3.

(And if anyone has a spare PC code that they don't want, I'd love to take it to get another promo)

Last year I played on the hardest difficulty and I had no trouble winning most matches. I don't believe the computer is cheating by stacking the deck.

It does cheat. It counts your deck and seems to have an answer for anything you throw out within the next turn. I dunno if '13 nerfed it but '11 and '12 definitely had bullshit AI on hardest.

Minsc

Gold Member
It does cheat. It counts your deck and seems to have an answer for anything you throw out within the next turn. I dunno if '13 nerfed it but '11 and '12 definitely had bullshit AI on hardest.

Is there any real proof? I played all the campaigns on Planeswalker and tend to win between 75-90% of the matches. I think I went nearly 10-0 in last year's version before I lost.

Violet_0

Banned
Honestly probably not. They are going for like 10 bucks right now, so you'd be breaking even at best (with the added benefit of another platform to play on). The card is getting reprinted in the M14 set which comes out soon, so that will likely drop the price even more. The only reason it was so expensive was that it was a playable card that was only ever printed in the Commander decks before now. It isn't guaranteed money like the Titans a few years ago were.

(I am not a Magic finance expert.)

Ah well, it was cheaper than the Steam version (which I also own) so I bought it anyway. If someone could point me to a site where I can sell the promo code, that would be very much appreciated.

So far, the games is really slick. Combat resolution takes a while with the android version even though I disabled all the animation

TheSeks

Is there any real proof? I played all the campaigns on Planeswalker and tend to win between 75-90% of the matches. I think I went nearly 10-0 in last year's version before I lost.

I dunno if I have a link but I remember there's been some analysis in regards to the AI and there's been talk that it "top decks" pretty frequently.

Can you win? Yeah. Does this mean you won't have bullshit draws thrown against you (esp in '11 and '12 where you CAN'T edit the deck besides the "sideboard" cards?) even more with the AI cheating? No.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I dunno if I have a link but I remember there's been some analysis in regards to the AI and there's been talk that it "top decks" pretty frequently.

Can you win? Yeah. Does this mean you won't have bullshit draws thrown against you (esp in '11 and '12 where you CAN'T edit the deck besides the "sideboard" cards?) even more with the AI cheating? No.

So it's just like real life!

Minsc

Gold Member

I've played a few games against the AI where they get mana screwed and only got out 2 lands for like the first 5+ rounds... I dunno. I see just as many times them getting a useless card like mana as not.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've played a few games against the AI where they get mana screwed and only got out 2 lands for like the first 5+ rounds... I dunno. I see just as many times them getting a useless card like mana as not.

Don't remember if it was 11 or 12 but this exact same thing happened in the final battle of the campaign. Was very anti-climactic but enjoyable at the same time.

ZeroCoin

Yup, exactly what it did. My difficulty was set to easy.

TheSeks

So it's just like real life!

Not in the case of bullshit draws that are luck. 9/10 of the time the AI will have an answer for your deck/hand that is nearly impossible to pull every. damn. game. on that difficulty.

Top Bottom