• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

Lasdrub

I think its just Two-headed Giant is local only. Free for all and Sealed Play are online only.

Thank you.

Why is there like a massive delay when dealing damage to either Creatures or the Enemy? It wasn't like that in the other 3 games. Steam version.

I am playing the PS3 version and I don't have this problem. Make sure you turn off animations if you haven't. Turns can take about twice as long with the animations on.

Lasdrub

Nope, there's no way to do local co-op against the AI. At least in the last game we could do the terrible Planeswalker game offline. This is the first game where you can't do a single thing offline with couch co-op. I don't know why I didn't expect this. The offline couch co-op support has gotten worse with each release. Full Two-Headed Giant local co-op campaign to Two-headed Giant custom games offline & Archenemy to Planeswalkers to nothing.

What a disappointment. I should just buy the first game again.

Yeef

The Red deck is pretty bonkers with everything unlocked. I edited it to try and get the curve to top out at 3, but that's not really possible. The pilgrim kites help a bit with the higher cost cards. Kiln Fiends, as always, are beastly. Nothing like clearing their board and attacking for tons of damage.

I'm disappointed in the puzzles so far. The first 5 were easy to the point of not even calling them puzzles. It looks like there's only 5 more. Hopefully they up the difficulty a bunch.

Merino

Can anyone here confirm if the ps3 version generates different sealed pools for each separate ps3/psn profile?

I saw someone claim this is possible on Wizard forums but it would be surprising as the Steam and android versions do not allow for new sealed pools on different profiles or by removing save data.

Violet_0

Banned
Jace and Avacyn are pretty much the best decks by a mile (and maybe the Sliver deck, haven't really played with/against it yet). No idea how you are supposed to win with the B/U deck

KuroNeeko

All right, Dudebros. It's straight up Dawg Time.

I'm at (quote for screen name) on PSN if anyone wants to get hammered in Sealed Deck.
Come git some (in about 7 hours or so!)

Can anyone here confirm if the ps3 version generates different sealed pools for each separate ps3/psn profile?

I saw someone claim this is possible on Wizard forums but it would be surprising as the Steam and android versions do not allow for new sealed pools on different profiles or by removing save data.

I'm going to check this when I get home in a few hours. I may not know until tonight though.

IvorB

I don't really understand this sealed deck thing. So I get a bunch of random cards to make a deck out of and once I'm done I can't change it. But isn't it critical to be able to tweak your deck based on performance? How are you supposed to just make the best deck you can from the get go without any play testing? The seems even more constrained than the customising that was in the game already. The fun part of customising is tweaking the deck after a couple of matches to tune it up nicely. Unless I am reading it wrong...

DRZ

You can edit your deck and you get 3 additional packs during the campaing, and you can everytime modify your deck as you want using those cards (6 packs + 3 during the campaing, 9 packs in total).

What you can't do is to completely reset the deck slot and start over with a completely new set of 6 + 3 boosters.

To do this you need to use a new slot and once you use the 2 that are available from the beginning, you need to pay to get new ones.

duppolo

tehre is no way you can destroy your sealed play cards and repick?
tht really suck. i think they should give the players this possibility at least 1 time a month. Plz guys boycott extra sealed slots

KuroNeeko

I don't really understand this sealed deck thing. So I get a bunch of random cards to make a deck out of and once I'm done I can't change it. But isn't it critical to be able to tweak your deck based on performance? How are you supposed to just make the best deck you can from the get go without any play testing? The seems even more constrained than the customising that was in the game already. The fun part of customising is tweaking the deck after a couple of matches to tune it up nicely. Unless I am reading it wrong...

You get 6 (+3 unlocks) packs of booster cards. These cards make up your card pool. You are free to edit and tweak your deck using this pool of cards as often as you wish. Your pool of cards is set though and can not be changed.

You can get 2 of these card pools with the purchase of DotP 2014. You can buy additional card pools for $$$.

tehre is no way you can destroy your sealed play cards and repick?
tht really suck. i think they should give the players this possibility at least 1 time a month. Plz guys boycott extra sealed slots

I imagine if enough people complain, they'll patch in some changes. The criticism so far has been pretty harsh. So far, the reply is "go play Magic fer real."

People are investigating this right now. There is a theory out there that you can create new user profiles (on PSN / XBLA) to start the sealed campaign again and hopefully get new packs. It makes finding and playing your friends a pain, but it might work.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm not sold on this game yet..

How are the decks?

I loved Crosswinds, is there a deck comparable to it?

Actually, I find all the decks to be rather disappointing so far. They're mostly built around tribes or are mechanically very simple. The B/U deck is just about the only one that requires a little thinking and it sucks. Both my main decks (Aura, Chandra arguably) in 2013 are worse now and unfortunately there's nothing like Mana Mastery

IvorB

You can edit your deck and you get 3 additional packs during the campaing, and you can everytime modify your deck as you want using those cards (6 packs + 3 during the campaing, 9 packs in total).

What you can't do is to completely reset the deck slot and start over with a completely new set of 6 + 3 boosters.

To do this you need to use a new slot and once you use the 2 that are available from the beginning, you need to pay to get new ones.

You get 6 (+3 unlocks) packs of booster cards. These cards make up your card pool. You are free to edit and tweak your deck using this pool of cards as often as you wish. Your pool of cards is set though and can not be changed.

You can get 2 of these card pools with the purchase of DotP 2014. You can buy additional card pools for $$$.

Ah Okay. So it's like the current customisation except the deck you start with is something you build yourself? So how many cards in total would you have for one card pool if you unlock everything? Are the cards you get random or is there some structure to how they are dished out?

IvorB

I'm not sold on this game yet..

How are the decks?

I loved Crosswinds, is there a deck comparable to it?

Yeah Crosswinds rocks. I play that one and the Obedient Dead. Once you get to time stretching and rebounding and sh*t it all gets crazy. Sometimes the shenanigans are so crazy even I struggle to keep up :).

I also think I will stick with 2013 for now but I supposed probably the online will dry up for it which sucks.

ElyrionX

Actually, I find all the decks to be rather disappointing so far. They're mostly built around tribes or are mechanically very simple. The B/U deck is just about the only one that requires a little thinking and it sucks. Both my main decks (Aura, Chandra arguably) in 2013 are worse now and unfortunately there's nothing like Mana Mastery

Maybe the unlockable cards would change up the dynamics of the decks?

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe the unlockable cards would change up the dynamics of the decks?

Well the starting red deck is crap compared to the unlocked version you can tweak it to. Way too slow by default.

I imagine that's why a lot of battles seem unfair too, the basic decks are pretty poorly made at least that first red one is horrible. Others are probably similar. Even with the 30 cards unlocked and it tweaked, it's still not great by any means. I certainly would hope to find a better deck, as for a red deck it does not have enough sustainable board control, too many one time use cards and done, you'll quickly be up against a few creatures with no counter to them based on how the decks played from last year's version.

Edit: Maybe they want to encourage people to build sealed decks for online play lol, instead of the pre-built ones. I certainly imagine you could make a much better deck with a little luck.

ElyrionX

Well the starting red deck is crap compared to the unlocked version you can tweak it to. Way too slow by default.

I imagine that's why a lot of battles seem unfair too, the basic decks are pretty poorly made at least that first red one is horrible. Others are probably similar. Even with the 30 cards unlocked and it tweaked, it's still not great by any means. I certainly would hope to find a better deck, as for a red deck it does not have enough sustainable board control, too many one time use cards and done, you'll quickly be up against a few creatures with no counter to them based on how the decks played from last year's version.

Didn't play last year's DOTP but that sounds exactly like the red decks from the first two games. Red has always been pretty boring in DOTP.

Violet_0

Banned
I'd love to play a red or black deck with few or no creatures

btw, how are Eldrazi supposed to survive against black/white/blue?

KuroNeeko

All right.

So I found that different accounts will give you new cards in Sealed.

I bought the PSN version of this game on my NA account from the NA store. I went into sealed and made my first deck.

Then I logged out and went into my main PSN account which is in JPN and started the game up. The pulls are different (Door to Nothingness lol lol lol).

This could be because

1) The account names are different (new accounts = more cards)
2) The regions are different

I thought there was one more reason but I forgot.

I guess I'll try to make another account on JPN or NA and bust some packs to see if they're the same.

Sucks if you're on XBLA though because you'll need a gold account for each additional account of you want to play sealed online. :/

Merino

All right.

I bought the PSN version of this game on my NA account from the NA store. I went into sealed and made my first deck.

Then I logged out and went into my main PSN account which is in JPN and started the game up. The pulls are different (Door to Nothingness lol lol lol).

This could be because

I guess I'll try to make another account on JPN or NA and bust some packs to see if they're the same.

Sucks if you're on XBLA though because you'll need a gold account for each additional account of you want to play sealed online. :/
Awesome, and kinda makes sense in regards to how the PS3 account system is setup.

In any case that seals the deal for me as to the question of getting it on Android, Steam or PS3.

I wish I could have gotten the premium on Android as I'd love to play on phone/tablet but no online en no different profiles for sealed means it's a crippled edition in comparison to the PS3 one.

coopolon

All right.

This could be because

Hah, so at the moment it seems console is actually the best place to get it because you can make a bunch of free accounts and play the same copy of the game.

The nexus 7 (and all android 4.2 devices?) supports different user accounts, but I doubt it would work there.

KuroNeeko

There are still two more things to try.

1) Make another account in the same region. e.g. A second account in either the NA or JPN region and see if they're the same.

2) Buy an unlock and see if it is account bound, or machine bound. Meaning, if it's handled like DLC, then it should be available for all accounts. If it's a consumable items, like a key, then it will probably bind on use to account.

One other thing I'm worried about is one account has a hard lock of what, 20 slots (the initial two free slots and then however many pay-to-unlock slots there are.) It's possible, that all of the unlocks for those 20 slots are predetermined depending on your hardware.

For example, when you buy the game you have X (say 20) possible card pools. When I bought the game and busted my first pool on my NA account - I used card pool #1. What we should find out is if I accessed card pool #2 (as defined by hardware) when I played on my JPN account OR if I accessed a brand new card pool #1 (based on account.)

The only way to test this is to open more than the maximum number of card pools between both of my accounts. I "might" be willing to do it if unlocked card pools can be shared between accounts. Still, even after opening my second card pool - I really started to feel like the number of available cards via the booster packs is quite limited.

ZeroCoin

Anyone else having issues with some of the small text in certain areas? My friends have been complaining about life total, card numbers, and token stack numbers being almost unreadable.

Tizoc

Can we expect a 'GotY' like edition to be released by the end of the year that offers all cards and decks?

coopolon

Can we expect a 'GotY' like edition to be released by the end of the year that offers all cards and decks?

Typically in the Steam Xmas sale you can get the base game and all the expansion packs for about the price of the base game on release.

Assuming they don't change anything about sealed decks though, they probably will be the same.

ultron87

So much wasted potential... :/

It isn't quite as bad as a normal 150 card set since pretty much every one of those cards is playable. The only stuff that I could really see never making a deck are the lucky charm staffs. And I guess Door to Nothingness, but you gotta give Timmy something to believe in.

Nalsh

I've just been doing campaign with premade decks, so I haven't bumped into some of the issues that you guys are running into. Here's a pro and a con for me though:

Pro
The flow of the game is much improved. In 2013, I would find myself accidentally performing actions like accidentally skipping combat, etc. I haven't run into that yet - that aspect of the game seems much more polished.

Con
So far, a lot of the decks you face in campaign each seem to be based on a single race, which can be a bit boring.

daevv

Was bummed that the sealed campaign was over so quick. It should of been done in a bracket style with a random opponent (out of the ones in game) making it to the next round against you. Would of made replaying the sealed mode with a new deck a little more interesting. I guess the DLC will have more sealed opponents.

Yeef

My only disappointment with the sealed campaign was that all the decks you play against are monocolored. I would have much preferred if the enemy sealed decks were actually sealed decks that were semi-randomly generated.

smr00

Banned
So what's the deal with the sealed deck slot stuff? I see slots X-X for $ on steam, are these unlockable in-game? or is it a lot this stuff behind a paywall?

ZeroCoin

So what's the deal with the sealed deck slot stuff? I see slots X-X for $ on steam, are these unlockable in-game? or is it a lot this stuff behind a paywall?

Not unlockable in game. You get 2 sealed deck 'slots' included in the game, extras cost money.

I am also absolutely not above begging for a promo code for ios / android / steam.

marrec

Banned

Every sealed deck you want to build beyond the first 2 are locked behind paywalls. Though the card pool is kind of limited, so you probably won't be building a lot of sealed decks.

Pollux

I'm loving it so far. I havent played MTG since 5th grade, and even then we didn't know the rules and sort of made it up as we went along.

I got this because I wanted to just learn the rules and get some experience playing the game, and possibly get involved in real world MTG sometime in the future.

So for people like me, who just want to do this to understand the mechanics of the game and don't really know about specific cards or have anything to compare it to...the game is GREAT.

ElyrionX

Really tempted to pay a few bucks and unlock a few decks immediately. It's painful having to grind 30 wins just for one deck.

Do promo unlocks work immediately or do you also have to win games to unlock the new cards?

Lasdrub

Got a white/black sealed deck going. Only been doing campaign with it.. works pretty well.

Same here. Major creature control plus flying creatures works very well. I pacified four times in the last round.

I just opened my last pack in one of my sealed pools. Got a fourth mind spring. This happened to me in real life, too. I can't escape that card.

I'm loving it so far. I havent played MTG since 5th grade, and even then we didn't know the rules and sort of made it up as we went along.

I got this because I wanted to just learn the rules and get some experience playing the game, and possibly get involved in real world MTG sometime in the future.

So for people like me, who just want to do this to understand the mechanics of the game and don't really know about specific cards or have anything to compare it to...the game is GREAT.

This is my first experience with MTG as well, and I think it's a really great introduction. Having lots of fun with it.

EDIT: On PC I'm having some strange issues though. Whenever I start up the game the resolution is set to something other than 1920x1080, which is what I set it to the last several times I played the game. I also can't change my refresh rate to 120hz because the option box doesn't register my mouse cursor at any of the options under 100hz. I've never seen a glitch like this in any PC game.

Lasdrub

I figured out how to do local multiplayer... you click SINGLE PLAYER, then go to custom game. Two-Headed Giant is in there. Makes perfect sense.

Violet_0

Banned
ran into a mono red sealed deck in and it completely destroyed me twice

on the other hand, I'm doing surprisingly well with my three color duo tutor + Rune-Scarred Demon + Grave Titan + invincibility Angel + 3x Murder & Pacifism & Assassinate deck. My other G/B deck is also quite good, but not nearly as fun to play

Top Bottom