• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Cracking Packs

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not in the case of bullshit draws that are luck. 9/10 of the time the AI will have an answer for your deck/hand that is nearly impossible to pull every. damn. game. on that difficulty.

Like others, I always play on that difficulty and honestly have no issue with it. I wouldn't keep buying the damn thing if I did lol. Not saying you don't have some "cmonnnnn" moments, but you're making it sound like it's unplayable.

Takuan

Day 1 on Steam. If anyone doesn't care about the physical card game, I would appreciate their redemption code (this is assuming they use codes for promo redemption as they have in the past).

ultron87

Is this up on android

Yep. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zdGFpbmxlc3NnYW1lcy5EMTQiXQ..

Also on the Amazon store.

Also, people over on the Wizards forums have apparently figured out that your sealed pool is randomized based on your nickname: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29982577/Identical_sealed_pull?pg=1 So presumably if I bought another version and put in "ultron87" as my name I'd get the exact same pool as I did on iPad. I'll be interested to see if this turns out to be true.

Edit: I just messed around with it on the Android trial version and this does not appear to be how it is working. I opened a pool and then deleted the save file. When I came back in and put in a different nick name I still got the same set of stuff.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Like others, I always play on that difficulty and honestly have no issue with it. I wouldn't keep buying the damn thing if I did lol. Not saying you don't have some "cmonnnnn" moments, but you're making it sound like it's unplayable.

The draw is stacked a bit but (at least in the 2013 version) the normal decks are underpowered. Once a deck had some good unlocks the only hard decks are the revenge version with full unlock and I would dislike it if I was blowing through them on lucky draw on my part. I don't know how 2014 is structured though; the single player campaign seems a bit different from last time.

rCIZZLE

I preordered this on Steam but have yet to receive the code for the in store promo card. Does anybody know how this is going to work? Can't find any information about it online other than what the promo is for each platform.

ultron87

I preordered this on Steam but have yet to receive the code for the in store promo card. Does anybody know how this is going to work? Can't find any information about it online other than what the promo is for each platform.

On the other platforms you get it from a screen in the game's Extras section.

Takuan

Do they give a list of stores giving away the promo? I'm expecting my first few attempts for Scavenging Ooze to be met with "fresh out".

All stores licensed to sell Magic will have it. Doubtful you'll have any issues redeeming as long as you're early.

Phreaker

I have a question about the "sealed" decks. Say in 4 months all the DLC is out and I've already created my two sealed decks. Would DLC content be added to the possible pools and I'd just be SOL?

ultron87

I have a question about the "sealed" decks. Say in 4 months all the DLC is out and I've already created my two sealed decks. Would DLC content be added to the possible pools and I'd just be SOL?

Well their traditional DLC is just new pre-built decks.

It remains to be seen whether they'll add stuff to the sealed pool of cards. I'd expect they wouldn't since paying for DLC cards you might not even open in a booster sounds pretty awful. Though I guess they could add in another round of the sealed campaign that could get you Sealed Set 2 boosters or something.

I can't imagine they'd do anything that would screw over people that played the mode they provided. At the very least I'd expect that any DLC that included new sealed cards would come with a one-time reset for your slots.

(My attempts to figure out a way to get a fresh sealed pool are still being thwarted. It seems like it must look at some device ID on your hardware or something.)

Phreaker

^^ Okay, thanks. I though most of their DLC added new cards to existing decks (more to unlock) as well as new decks. That could have changed though from one year to the next.

ZeroCoin

(My attempts to figure out a way to get a fresh sealed pool are still being thwarted. It seems like it must look at some device ID on your hardware or something.)

According to the FAQ (link) it looks like that number is probably based on some hardware ID. Really don't care for the idea of buying additional sealed pools. It's not exactly pay to win, but you can't get a whole lot closer than that.

coopolon

Well their traditional DLC is just new pre-built decks.

It remains to be seen whether they'll add stuff to the sealed pool of cards. I'd expect they wouldn't since paying for DLC cards you might not even open in a booster sounds pretty awful. Though I guess they could add in another round of the sealed campaign that could get you Sealed Set 2 boosters or something.

I can't imagine they'd do anything that would screw over people that played the mode they provided. At the very least I'd expect that any DLC that included new sealed cards would come with a one-time reset for your slots.

So basically even if I delete the save, when I start up a new sealed deck in slot 1 I'd get the same booster packs as I got the previous time I played a sealed deck in slot 1? That is a pretty clever way to keep customers from trying to do it without paying $2 per slot.

wonder if it will be the same on pc.

Probably going to pass if someone doens't find a workaround, I still have plenty of campaign left in 2012 and 2013, I was only interested in sealed deck play.

Deadman

I like the green deck that has the big annihilator creatures. Though before I had a game where I had 15 lands before I got a single creature and lost :lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What's the trick here?

You have to reformat every time!!

Or just backup/delete the savegame. I might play the campaign, backup my savegame before I start up the sealed campaign and once I used up my 2 slots, restore from my backup to play 2 new sealed campaigns. You sort of "delete" the sealed campaigns this way, but I dont care, I just want to keep playing sealed without the restriction of only being able to do it 2 times. Which is stupid, and even MORE stupid is that players on iOS/consoles can ONLY play it 20 times, even if you pay 36$ to unlock every slot.

Ken

How do you make the white deck focused on angels? I don't know anything about magic deckbuilding.

At the moment I'm just spamming the field with humans with those "activate on summon" units like the gold guy and parish man.

Just pre-ordered this on steam. Received confirmation in my email, but when I look under my games library - nothing. Did I do this wrong, or is it just that since the game hasn't actually released on Steam it doesn't show up?

coopolon

Or just backup/delete the savegame. I might play the campaign, backup my savegame before I start up the sealed campaign and once I used up my 2 slots, restore from my backup to play 2 new sealed campaigns. You sort of "delete" the sealed campaigns this way, but I dont care, I just want to keep playing sealed without the restriction of only being able to do it 2 times. Which is stupid, and even MORE stupid is that players on iOS/consoles can ONLY play it 20 times, even if you pay 36$ to unlock every slot.

Has it been confirmed that they don't have a similar system like the one on android? Where even if you delete it you still only get the same cards.

Minsc

Gold Member

I thought people were saying that it generates your sealed decks from hardware ID numbers or something, so formatting wouldn't change that? That the sealed deck cards you get aren't randomly chosen, but determined according to that ID number, and you'll get the same ones every time? Guess we'll see in another day.

D3VI0US

I don't understand why it's out on psn, ios, and android but steam users have to wait a day. Anyways can we expect the steam version to be out tonight or will it be released tomorrow morning?

The game plays pretty well on my Nexus 7. I wish I had a 10" tablet for this game, then it would be a no brainer, but the small screen size bothers me somewhat. Decisions, decisions. PC or Android. Bleh.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The game is waaaaaayyyy snappier with loading and phase transitions on the ps3, but for some reason I feel like there's an extra layer of confirming things added..practically spamming triangle..not that I didn't do it for previous years, but choosing a land with Nature's Lore and confirming? Was that in there..?

ultron87

How do you make the white deck focused on angels? I don't know anything about magic deckbuilding.

At the moment I'm just spamming the field with humans with those "activate on summon" units like the gold guy and parish man.

Disclaimer: I haven't unlocked that deck yet.

You can either make that deck a "white weenie" deck that doesn't play anything costing over three and plays fewer lands and just try to blitz them out of the game. Stuff like Champion of the Parish is great for this. (You may want one costlier card in here like a Baneslayer just to have something you can go over the top with.)

Or you can put in some of the more defensive and grindy cards like Soul Warden and Seraph of Dawn to try and last till you can cast something huge like Baneslayer Angel, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, or a flash backed Increasing Devotion that the opponent just can't beat.

Traditionally the aggressive deck is the better one (and I expect it will be better in this game too) but you can certainly go for the other perspective as well. Or anything in between.

Just noticed this, did they remove the mulligan option or am I just missing it?

Edit: Never-mind it's just removed in the demo, full version has it.

Violet_0

Banned
Can you unlock the revenge decks (Jace & co) in-game or do you need to buy keys for those? I've completed pretty much everything and they are still locked for me

Can you unlock the revenge decks (Jace & co) in-game or do you need to buy keys for those? I've completed pretty much everything and they are still locked for me

In the PS3 version, there's an icon on the bottom right of each map which you can select to take you to a planeswalker screen where you can challenge Jace and others for their decks. One per chapter completion it seems like.

Violet_0

Banned
In the PS3 version, there's an icon on the bottom right of each map which you can select to take you to a planeswalker screen where you can challenge Jace and others for their decks. One per chapter completion it seems like.
Ah, yeah I misses that, thanks!

Played two sealed tournaments against the AI, both times with a B/U deck. My early impression so far is that those two are the most potent colors in sealed, especially black

bunbun777

If you want the fun of new drafts without having to pay for additional slots then just play the game on another profile. No idea what the limit of profiles are on the ps3 but it's got to be quite a few. One of my friends pulled 2 grave titans in one draft!

Also confirming lands is definitely a step back. And I have only played 1 game with Eldazi deck and completely ramped and stomped the AI. 65 health, all my land out save 5, 3 triggers of annihilator going off on the final swing.

Fjord

Picked it up for Android, perfect game for a tablet.

But no multiplayer?! Also sealed deck is fantastic except after you've played five matches and got all the boosters why keep playing? You can't play against anyone, you can't unlock anymore cards for the deck and you're not unlocking cards for other decks (I assume). All in all I think I might have been happier just having the free version if I could figure out a way to constantly reset my account for sealed practice.

Violet_0

Banned
Currently unlocking the zombie deck, seems to be pretty good but - not sure if as good as the mono white or sliver deck, when it comes to tribe decks. I think the dragon deck might be one of the weakest ones again, but at least he's got the best music theme

ultron87

Picked it up for Android, perfect game for a tablet.

But no multiplayer?! Also sealed deck is fantastic except after you've played five matches and got all the boosters why keep playing? You can't play against anyone, you can't unlock anymore cards for the deck and you're not unlocking cards for other decks (I assume). All in all I think I might have been happier just having the free version if I could figure out a way to constantly reset my account for sealed practice.

There's no online on Android? That's awful. I guess on the Play Store entry it just says "Ad Hoc one-on-one Multiplayer play". : / Can't believe they wouldn't at least bring it to feature parity with iOS. I'm going to update the OP to this fact.

Just pre-ordered this on steam. Received confirmation in my email, but when I look under my games library - nothing. Did I do this wrong, or is it just that since the game hasn't actually released on Steam it doesn't show up?

Unreleased games should show up in your library. Try restarting the client

Xis

Doesn't work on Kindle Fire (1st Gen); too big (1.2GB+) to fit in the available App space (1.17 GB).

Rant mode -
Even though it can't work, the app store lets you download it, then fails to install, then doesn't clean up the 1.2 GB of temp files.

ZeroCoin

There's no online on Android? That's awful. I guess on the Play Store entry it just says "Ad Hoc one-on-one Multiplayer play". : / Can't believe they wouldn't at least bring it to feature parity with iOS. I'm going to update the OP to this fact.

Nope, no true online multiplayer. They mentioned it several times during previews. They also stated that it might be patched in down the line. Probably just seeing how the sales turn out on android before investing a lot more time on it.

Punisher

Neo Member
Ok screw it, pre-purchased this. I have been on a MtG hiatus for a bit, wonder if this will spark my interest again. Being able to play sealed deck sounds interesting.

I really want to open that promotional booster too :)

Top Bottom