• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
vykBKN8.png

And here we go folks!

Top Ten Posters who Care About Magic Way Too Much
1n4cUhU.png

So I’m completely new to Magic. What’s it about? Where can I learn to play?

Well the first thing you should do is check out an awesome page put together by TheSeks:
http://peg.gd/1LE

Magic: The Gathering is the original trading card game, released over 16 years ago. Players in Magic represent powerful wizards known as “planeswalkers”, who use a library of varied and powerful spells to wage war against each other. As a Magic player you’ll be summoning creatures to fight for you, laying powerful enchantments that change the game, and calling forth lightning bolts and mystic powers to devastate the opposition.

If you’re totally green to the game, there are a number of resources to help you learn to play. In rough order of helpfulness:

1.)Magic: the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers: Released on Steam, PSN, and XBLA, this game is designed specifically to help train new players into the game. Its got some limitations, but its an excellent place to start. Read the NeoGAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478424

2.)Find a local game store, show up on a Friday night, and just ask someone to teach you. This really is the best way to learn. There are always a lot of pre-constructed decks available for less then fifteen dollars, and when you feel more confident then build your own custom deck or get involved in a Draft, where everyone opens new packs of cards and passes them around, building decks out of what they get.
Locate stores near you: http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

3.)The official Magic website: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/newtomagic.aspx
A useful glossary of terms: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=1418
The Magic website is generally crammed with excellent information, including a dozen or so weekly columns on everything from advance strategy to behind the scenes insight from the head designers themselves. But this specific link takes you to an introductory page, with a few tutorials and videos to help you out.

An-Det

Fuck yeah magic gaf, congratulations on an awesome two years! Here's to many more!

Edit: not sure if I should be happy to not be in top ten, or sad I didn't make it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm number 2, I'm number 2.

So...Gatecrash. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being how excited we were when RtR was announced and 10 being when they revealed Search the City, how excited are we?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I love you guys.

7, only because I'm going to make some sort of Omniscience/Enter the Infinite brew that Travis will no doubt perfect in 2 weeks.

Leunam

Woo! Don't post much in here but rest assured I still play. Much thanks to the original thread for getting me into the game in then first place.

The Technomancer

So...Gatecrash. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being how excited we were when RtR was announced and 10 being when they revealed Search the City, how excited are we?

Eh, I'm still at a 4 or a 5, which isn't bad because the actual RtR set came in at about a 3 I guess. Gatecrash's main problem is power level but it still has plenty of interesting cards I'm excited about.

WanderingWind

I think RtR was a 1 for me, especially since I totalled up how much I spent on the set in total....think amounts with 4 digits.

Gatecrash is hovering at around a 6ish. I mostly really just want to build 5 guild decks and play with Aurelia's Fury. The power level definitely looks a lot lower, but that may end up being not true after playing with it.

The Technomancer

I think RtR was a 10 for me, especially since I totalled up how much I spent on the set in total....think amounts with 4 digits.

Gatecrash is hovering at around a 4ish. I mostly really just want to build 5 guild decks and play with Aurelia's Fury. The power level definitely looks a lot lower, but that may end up being not true after playing with it.

Oh wait, I inverted the spectrum

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Geez if Search the City is a 10 then I guess Gatecrash is like a 50. High numbers are bad right? Cause Gatecrash is ass.

I'm not sure if it's the cards or what but Gatecrash is really less appealing than RtR was for me at least. I can't really get that excited for the cards that were revealed. There are some cool ones but feels flat compared to what RtR had.

Edit: Of course WW has to fuck everything up and us a system that is the opposite of what everyone would expect. -_-

f0rk

I'm not playing at the moment so I'm not really excited about Gatecrash at all as I'll never touch it in limited. From a constructed perspective I imagine decks will have a lot more RtR cards than Gatecrash in them after Innistrad rotates.

WanderingWind

I'm not sure if it's the cards or what but Gatecrash is really less appealing than RtR was for me at least. I can't really get that excited for the cards that were revealed. There are some cool ones but feels flat compared to what RtR had.

Edit: Of course WW has to fuck everything up and us a system that is the opposite of what everyone would expect. -_-

Enjoy the Super Bowl. ;p

alternade

Yay! New thread!

It seems though that the excitement around Gatecrash is abysmally low. Hopefully Dragons Maze will be better and hopefully Niv Mizzet will become a planeswalker so my izzet deck will not be so shit.

Is anyone in Las Vegas going to the prerelease?

ultron87

Conjured Currency gives you their best thing for your best thing, so if the thing you take is better, it might work out. And if you have the best thing you just don't do the swap.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Conjured Currency gives you their best thing for your best thing, so if the thing you take is better, it might work out. And if you have the best thing you just don't do the swap.

I'd argue that Cryptborn Horror is worse than Search the City, but the one time I cast it as a 1/1, it was more useful to me than Search the City. A 1/1 trample for 3. That's just sad.

A lot of people at my LGS are pumped for Gatecrash. I personally wish the Gruul offering were a little better, I want R/G Aggro to be a thing in Standard.

Venfayth

I have been so consumed with my stream work and fighting games I didn't even realize Gatecrash was so soon :(

Hopefully I get more free time to devote to this again soon.

The Technomancer

A lot of people at my LGS are pumped for Gatecrash. I personally wish the Gruul offering were a little better, I want R/G Aggro to be a thing in Standard.

Yeah, my real life friends are pretty hyped as well. One friend loves the "Mill until X lands" subtheme going on in Dimir

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I signed up for Magic Online. So, come at me and my crappy decks GAF. Seriously, I have no idea how this damn thing works.

JulianImp

Nothing. Worser.

Lies!

Everyone knows that, if you can come up with a bad card, there's probably one several orders of magnitude worse. See: One with Nothing, Chimney Imp, Squire, Wandering Ones, Darksteel Amulet, Conjured Currency (I even got it in my Izzet booster, which was ridiculously awful), that 8/0 trampler for 3G, the awful Homelands cards everybody had to play back when they were forced to use at least a few cards from each expansion in their decks, the Alpha laces and the each recent set's token overcosted and underpowered blue enchantment that I'm doomed to open 2+ copies of (why, hello Conjured Currency and "at the beginning of your upkeep, put a counter on this, then draw X cards"!).

The Technomancer

Lies!

Everyone knows that, if you can come up with a bad card, there's probably one several orders of magnitude worse. See: One with Nothing

Hey, One With Nothing was a good way to turn on Hellbent if...for some reason...you wanted to lose serious card advantage because turning Hellbent on would let you win...this turn...

Does anyone remember the site for RtR that previewed what would be in the guild packs pre-preRelease? I'm assuming they'd do the same for Gatecrash, but I had a hard time finding it in the search of the first thread.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my real life friends are pretty hyped as well. One friend loves the "Mill until X lands" subtheme going on in Dimir

I really want to see a deck that resolves around getting Consuming Abberation on the field, then casting Faerie Imposter, returning something, then casting another Faerie Imposter and returning Faerie Imposter, rinse repeat.

Most of my group is all about Boros. My best friend is a fan of that guild, color-wise, mechanically, flavor perspective, etc. etc. Has sent me like, 4 brewed-up lists already over work e-mail, lol.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone remember the site for RtR that previewed what would be in the guild packs pre-preRelease? I'm assuming they'd do the same for Gatecrash, but I had a hard time finding it in the search of the first thread.

http://mythicspoiler.com/gtc/guildpacks.html

Was this it? It's not very accurate, some of the rares listed wont appear in the packs. There's 8 packs for each guild (40 total), each pack contains a different predetermined set of cards.

According to this mtgsalvation thread, the guy that runs the site is going to get a list of all possible booster combinations as early as possible and put them up.

Ringo

The "mill until x lands" looks indeed quite promising for either sealed and/or draft. This weekend I think will choose Simic (I really like the card design of Zegana).

The Technomancer

Most of my group is all about Boros. My best friend is a fan of that guild, color-wise, mechanically, flavor perspective, etc. etc. Has sent me like, 4 brewed-up lists already over work e-mail, lol.

I'm our Simic guy, and I've got one friend who's hyped for Dimir and two who are looking forward to both Gruul and Boros

I'm our Simic guy, and I've got one friend who's hyped for Dimir and two who are looking forward to both Gruul and Boros

Simic is looking real interesting to me. I should maybe start brewing up some Gruul builds, but everytime I start too, I'm reminded that I only have 1 Huntmaster and start to lose interest, haha.

Top Bottom